Start by marking “Companions of Paradise” as Want to Read:
Companions of Paradise

Companions of Paradise (Mariana Givens #3)

In 1841, Mariana Givens arrives in newly conquered Kabul with the British Army. Her heart, however, remains in Lahore where her estranged native husband Hassan lies injured. Torn between his fascinating family and her own culture, she waits to learn if he can forgive her stupid accusation of betrayal, and whether she can ever return to him and her adored stepson. Meanwhile ...more
Published (first published December 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Companions of Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Companions of Paradise

I liked the trilogy overall but by the end, the main character really annoyed me. The British were ridiculous with their costly arrogance. I really liked her husband and his family though.
Karen Lovell
Sep 22, 2012 Karen Lovell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last book of the trilogy and I was just as captivated as the previous two. I love the mingle of history, mystism and the journey for peace that Mariana faces. The British aristocracy at the time gossiped about Mariana, she certainly raised a few eyebrows and I like the fact she feels so strongly and differently from the other mensahibs. The heroine is way before her time in the acceptance of other cultures and religions unconditionally. Very cleverly written and I just wish there were more as I ...more
I learned much about Afghanistan around 1878 - 1880 when the British invaded from India and made fools of themselves and were slaughtered by the Ghilzai. And I learned more of the ways of the Followers of the Path at that time too. My Pakistani friends assure me that the history in this novel is accurate. If I make it to the British Museum some day, I'll defintely look for letters from some of the British who were in Kabul during this time.
Jan 10, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down! It was such an interesting description of history! The details are exciting! It was also interesting to read some things about the Islamic religion and their beliefs and traditions. And there's a little romance, which is always nice. I liked the whole series.
Jun 25, 2008 Jenifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2 stars is a bit harsh. As is the case with most book series, it looses steam and there isn't much that can save it. Ending just didn't work for me.
This is the third and final book in Thalassa Ali's romantic historical fiction series that began with "A Singular Hostage" and continued with "A Beggar at the Gate." I LOVED these books. What a fascinating look at the history of Pakistan, and the misguided arrogance of the British in 19th century India. The heroine, Mariana Givens, is most appealing, an awkward young woman sent to India in the hope that she'll finally find a husband, but who continues to be inappropriately interested in military ...more
I love historical fiction - so this was fascinating. It relates the epic, nineteeth-century struggle between Britain and Russia for control of Central Asia. For all its remoteness and high, inaccessible mountains, Afghanistan ( think silk route) played an important role in this Great Game. I gave it a 3 because the love story was a little weird - but the history wonderful.
Jen Evans
Sep 10, 2012 Jen Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series. I loved the fact that it was historical fiction about an area of the world I know nothing about and a time period that fascinates me. I looked up some of the characters on Wikipedia and from what I learned on there the author is right on in how she developed them through the story. Wonderful ending to a wonderful journey.
Aug 31, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Third in the series. I ordered this book and the second one from Amazon UK because I couldn't wait long enough for it to come out in the US! A satisfying conclusion to Mariana and Hassan's story, though I still wish for more!
Jenny Jeffries
Aug 02, 2007 Jenny Jeffries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it is a fitting end to the series. Not what I expected - more to do with our heroine's struggle than the emerging relationship, which I hoped for. Ne'er mind. A good yarn.
Dec 01, 2007 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best of the trilogy. Just a touch of romance, but mostly very interesting historical fiction. Fantastic descriptions of India/Afghanistan with a very helpful glossary.
Jul 29, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this series. It was a random find at the library and since I love a good historical romance, these were a nice surprise.
May 08, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
book three
Maybe it was the hopelessness of the historical situation (which the author could do nothing about), but I was not as happy with this book as a finale to Mariana's trilogy. The character of the dancing boy was delightful, but I did not like the way he and Mariana parted company at the end. One thing I did like was Mariana's struggle to comprehend -- that is, to absorb into her world view -- that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism share the same roots, so that it was not blasphemous to recite a Mus ...more
Sep 18, 2015 Ayni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words can describe my anguish as I finished this tale. Utterly in love with the trilogy and sad to say goodbye to the characters
Mar 07, 2015 L F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite trilogies
The last part of three.
Liked it for the memories of my travels through India and the great 19th century India feel it gave me.
It won't replace the far pavilions though.. That one was much much better ..
Jul 17, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it till about the last ten or so pages. You feel the character grow in in this book and then at the end she reverts to her weaknesses as if she hadn't learned anything after all. Plus, it feels like the author didn't want to write the last chapter. Just as everything starts to resolve, it ends. I like my happy endings!!! Let me enjoy it for a few minutes!
Jul 09, 2012 Marie80 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Конечно, ја комплетирав трилогијата!Не очекував баш така да заврши,да бидам искрена малку се разочарав бидејќи поинаку го замислував крајот, но сепак задоволна сум од сите три дела.И благодарам на мојата драга пријателка Вики од која ја добив книгата како подарок.
Dec 01, 2011 Tmny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never felt quite invested in this book.

3 stars for beautiful descriptions and language, but the protagonist became way too annoying in the end to be able to hold the threads of the story together.
Feb 12, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marianna Givens travels with the Britsh army to Afghanistan and to their disastrous defeat in the mid 1880's. Her spiritualism grows as she accepts that she belongs with her Muslim husband's mystical family.
Jozo Mandić
Jun 06, 2013 Jozo Mandić rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Ne razumim, ovo e kraj?!? Kakav je ovo kraj?!?! Nakon jako dobrog uvoda i odlične druge knjige dobijem ovakav kraj?!?!? Veliko razočarenje. Stvarno veliko!!!
Jan 26, 2016 Ivana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exellent, Strong Characters and exellent plot. A suiting ending!
Apr 26, 2008 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it--not quite as much as book #2 but still good easy fast read.
Oct 31, 2014 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on
Aug 06, 2013 Taya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slabija od prethodna dva nastavka.
Laura Lee
Overall okay.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Sanja rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
  • Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vol 1
  • رحلات داوتي في الجزيرة العربية
  • Flowers in the Blood
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
  • Forbidden Jewel of India (Herriard, #1)
  • Greenbanks
  • Catherine's Heart (Tales of London #2)
  • Veiled Seduction (Veiled, #2)
  • The Malhotra Bride
  • The Unexpected Miss Bennet
  • Second Daughter (Royals of Dharia #2)
  • Hester
  • The Collected Novels: Train To Pakistan, I Shall Not Hear The Nightingale, Delhi
  • Rsvp
  • Monsoon Wedding Fever
  • The Curse of the Brimstone Contract (The Steampunk Detectives, #1)
  • Greh njene majke