Attachment in Psychotherapy

Attachment in Psychotherapy

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This eloquent book translates attachment theory and research into an innovative framework that grounds adult psychotherapy in the facts of childhood development. Advancing a model of treatment as transformation through relationship, the author integrates attachment theory with neuroscience, trauma studies, relational psychotherapy, and the psychology of mindfulness. Vivid...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Guilford Publications

To ask other readers questions about Attachment in Psychotherapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attachment in Psychotherapy

David Wallin
May 03, 2008 David Wallin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychotherapists and their patients
Recommended to David by: i did
As the author of this book, I can recommend it without reservation. Seriously I'm interested in readers' comments on what I've written. And if readers have questions I'd be more than happy to try to answer them. I wrote the book with an audience of therapists in mind...but I've been told (and I concur) that the book will be of interest to non-clinicians as well. So in closing I'd say: Read! Learn! Enjoy! and be well...And keep me posted regarding your responses to Attachment in Psychotherapy.
AJW
I've read well over 100 books around counselling/psychotherapy/psychology/neurobiology/emotional management. In the warm glow of finishing this book and being enormously helped by it, I'm compelled to gush and say that this is the best counselling book I've read so far. Even after I've cooled down and become more critical, it will still easily get into my top 3.

I loved the way it was written - in a warm, personal, engaging style. You feel you get to know the author, David Wallin. And I liked him...more
Stuart
Oct 01, 2007 Stuart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: counselors, parents
great tool for understanding attachment and it's effect on parenting, childhood, and relationships. not as verbose or detailed as fonagy, but presents the basics of attachment theory well and in a way that is easily understood.
Ash
An exceptional synopsis of attachment theory and general approach to applying it in therapy. A must read for psychologists.
Cameron
This book intimidated me in the beginning, small print, a ton of words per page, etc. I started reading chapters that I thought would most interest me, another error on my part. When I had time I began from the beginning and Wallin took me on an unforgettable journey. The author brings the reader up to speed on the history of attachment theory which prepares one for where he will take you. With an engaging writing style he applies attachment theory to the psychotherapy process. He doesn't try to...more
Rebecca
This is the most important book I've read in graduate school, and it was not a required text. I can't recommend it enough for anyone interested in Attachment Theory, both the science around it and it's clinical applications. It sort of rocked my world!
Redfawn
This book speaks to the process of psychotherapy and how it can heal trauma through an attachment relationship in ways nothing I have ever seen before does. It is remarkable.
Keith
very readable....if one is interested in learning more about the difficulties that inevitably occur in intimate relationships.
Jendi
An absolute must-read for anyone in the psyc industry. How to use attachment therapy in your practice.
Shannon
While not an academically acclaimed explanation of attachment theory, I still rate Wallin's work highly because he makes the information so easy to understand. A bit watered-down but highly digestible, this book is a great stepping-stone into the works of attachment theorists.
John
Oct 16, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pyschotherapists
This is an outstanding collection by the main thinkers in Attachment Theory and a must reference for anyone working in the field. It is not always easy reading but a more overall coverage of the subect from start to present will be hard to find.
Lynne
The book you need if you are trying to use attachment theory to shape how you think of being a therapist. Not the fastest, simplest or most fun read, but important, nonetheless.
Robin Adler
May 12, 2009 Robin Adler marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just attended a great conference with Wallin. This book sounds like it will be eye opening and very useful for work.
Elise
I am extremely interested in human attachment and really have liked this text as a very informative authority.
Super useful for clinical implications of attachment theory.
Rebecca Grace
Rebecca Grace marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Menachem
Menachem marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Lori Carlson
Lori Carlson marked it as to-read
Steve Woods
Steve Woods marked it as to-read
Akshay
Akshay marked it as to-read
Ilze Biggs
Ilze Biggs marked it as to-read
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Maria Lauer
Maria Lauer is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
  • A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy
  • The Developing Mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are
  • Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How They Shape Our Capacity to Love
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
  • The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment
  • To Be Told: Know Your Story, Shape Your Future
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Attachment  (Attachment and loss #1)
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • The Neuroscience of Human Relationships: Attachment And the Developing Social Brain
  • The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment
  • In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • Playing and Reality
  • Freud And Beyond: A History Of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
El apego en psicoterapia Mapping the Terrain of the Heart: Passion, Tenderness, and the Capacity to Love Mapping the Terrain of the Heart: The Six Capacities That Guide the Journey of Love