Start by marking “Against the Grain: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Against the Grain: A Novel

Against the Grain: A Novel

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
“FREEZE IS THE COLDEST NEW AUTHOR ON THE COME-UP.”
–Nikki Turner

Love him or hate him, Arkadian “Kay” Frost has made his mark on the streets of Baltimore as the leader of a close-knit group of friends: Mike, the ladies’ man; Tank, the funny guy with a short fuse; Apache, the wild one with artillery expertise; Gee, aka Dread, a cold piece of work; and Dre, who doesn’t drink,
Published September 30th 2008 by One World/Ballantine (first published September 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Grain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Grain

Eva Leger
Aug 24, 2009 Eva Leger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
Now THIS is a book the author should make a sequel out of! These characters weren't just thought up- I have no doubt in my mind that these characters came to Freeze instead of Freeze deciding to write a book and straining for characters.
I absolutely adored Kay and his family and friends. The book ended in a way that made me think, and hope, that there might be a sequel so hopefully that's being worked on.
This was great, much better than a lot of the more well known urban-fic authors out there
Kitani
May 13, 2015 Kitani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this being Freeze's first book, he didn't disappoint at all. Besides the all the descriptions I didn't have any complaints. Kay and his friends were not into making their own money the legal way and got caught up. Once watching what happened with Apache, Kay went into the system constantly blaming himself for everything that transpired. Sonia was straight up foul for the way she handled things with Kay. I couldn't believe she expected things to go back to normal. I loved Scatter! Even though ...more
Kesha
Feb 25, 2009 Kesha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good! I would recommend all avid readers get their copy. You won't be disappointed. And to the author ... great job, I look forward to reading more from you.
Lesa Divine)
Apr 18, 2009 Lesa Divine) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it, i-own

My Spring Break read (April 1 finished April 11)
Overall book was ok.
Kay and his friends robs a bank and 1 of his friends end up getting shot by the police and he dies. Kay goes to jail thinking it was his fault for his friend getting shot when it really wasn't his fault at all.

After serving time Kay gets out and his buddy Mike helps him get back on his feet with money, clothes and rides. Mike and his friends our well know in the hood due to the drug business they runs.
Kay ends up talking to a gi
Vicki Howe
May 17, 2016 Vicki Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
7 Years

Cant believe it took me 7 years to discover this book. Picked it up on a whim and couldnt put it down. Tho far from my own world, there was never the slightest doubt I was reading truth on every page. Freeze moved the streets of "B'mor into my living room with such ease and left a whole pile of respect on my lap. This one will stay with me.
Yasheve
Oct 12, 2009 Yasheve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm just amazed at the reviews for this book. It's very poorly written. There's way more telling than showing. It starts off very good, even though I have read a thousand stories just like it, then it doesn't create its own space in the world. It borrows from movies and lacks originality. I could still deal with that if it were so unbelievable. I know it's fiction, but the writer was obviously trying to "keep it real" and all I read was "real fake." I could even still deal with that, it there wa ...more
Sha
Feb 09, 2015 Sha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book that much
it was not good of a read
Mike Vernio
Sep 05, 2012 Mike Vernio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the realest books I have ever read if you can't relate to this then you are an idiot
Balis Moore
Jul 12, 2010 Balis Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a good read the whole time i was reading it felt so real it was really good
Tameka Manns
Dec 17, 2008 Tameka Manns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book! Cant wait to hear more from this author.
Dana Whitney
Oct 22, 2010 Dana Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love it & the ending was real as shit.
Linda Strickland
A very good book, Freeze where are you?
Kim
Very predictable, but ok.
nicole
nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
JYork_13
JYork_13 rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
KRYSTAL WISE
KRYSTAL WISE marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Dwayne
Dwayne marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Gottaluv Mii
Gottaluv Mii is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2015
Stephanie M
Stephanie M marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Seasia
Seasia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Tag561
Tag561 rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Joy Truong
Joy Truong marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Katherene Tullous
Katherene Tullous marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Tiberius Hurd
Tiberius Hurd marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015