Start by marking “Works of Kate Chopin” as Want to Read:
Works of Kate Chopin

Works of Kate Chopin

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  27 reviews

This collection was designed for optimal navigation on eReaders and other electronic devices. It is indexed alphabetically, chronologically and by category, making it easier to access individual books, stories and poems. This collection offers lower price, the convenience of a one-time download, and it reduces the clutter in your digital library. All books included in this

Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published March 22nd 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Works of Kate Chopin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Works of Kate Chopin

Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
J. Guapster
Apr 30, 2013 J. Guapster marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
153 pages in paperback edition. You can easily read this in one or two days.

One sentence summary: a married woman with two children in a well-to-do southern household realizes that her materially comfortable marriage is unfulfilling and she contemplates (but does not consummate) adultery.

The Awakening, first published in 1899, treats all of the same major themes found in Madame Bovary (1856) and Anna Karenina (1877): the subordination of women in marriage, marriage as bondage, tension between
Dottie
Serendipity? Coincidence? Perfect timing? All of the above? Yes.
Amazing reading experience -- referring to The Awakening the novel published in 1899 which according to info in thie edition basically ended the writing career of the author and caused her works to fall into disrepute until many years later.

I immediately found a deep connection between this novel and the Kathleen Norris book I am reading -- Acedia and Me. I also drew parallels between The Awakening and the Virginia Woolf book publis
Ben
It did not strike her as in the least grotesque that she should be making of Robert the object of conversation and leading her husband to speak of him. The sentiment which she entertained for Robert in no way resembled that which she felt for her husband, or had ever felt, or ever expected to feel. She had all her life long been accustomed to harbor thoughts and emotions which never voiced themselves. They had never taken the form of struggles. They belonged to her and were her own, and she ente ...more
Absolutely wonderful book. Kate Chopin was a pioneer in female writers and it's no surprise her stories were considered ahead of their time. I'm thrilled she was rediscovered in the late 1900's and is now in the history books as a feminist writer. Her stories also present a glimpse into the life and culture of the late 1800's. Engaging characters and brilliant, life-like landscapes. This is a must-read for those who like classical literature.
Gary
Oct 10, 2008 Gary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gary by: Michelle Argyle
I just finished Kate Chopin's "The Awakening". I hesitate to say to much, not wanting to spoil it for anyone. I can say her style of writing is so clear. No superfluous passages to be found. Just a story that will touch you deeply. Considering the position of women in 1900 when this was written it even becomes more poignant. The lack of freedom and the stifling of the true person inside, and the pressures of society to conform.
Yet Edna in "The Awakening" does taste some of the freedom she had
Dana Susan
I wonder if a woman's search for liberation is a dated theme, but The Awakening is so well written! Like Madame Bovary, Enid Pontellier's unhappiness eventually drives her to suicide.
And like Emma Bovary, you understand her completely, thanks to a wonderful writer.
Chopin's short short story The Story of an Hour is also great.
Carlston Floyd
I love this woman's writing
Karen
Chopin is a fantastic writer. This volume includes her wonderful novel, The Awakening, which was shocking at the time as it's about a woman who decides to (gasp) dispense with convention and think for herself.

The short stories are marvellous, as they transport you to the Creole world of Louisiana in the mid 1800s. In just a few pages she draws a portrait of the people and character of that era.
Ma'lis Wendt
I read "The Awakening", "The Hour" and several other short stories from this volume. Chopin captures the atmosphere and emotion of women in late 19th century and early 20th century New Orleans and the Louisiana Bayou country--you feel the heat and the oppressiveness of the weather and the times. I do understand how her writing was scandalous at that time. I found the plots rather weak.
Linda
I can never get enough of Kate Chopin even though I have read her a half dozen times. She is famous as being one of the first feminist novelists and short story writers, but what interests me most is the style and flow of her writing. Her sentences, vocabulary and the way she paints pictures of the lazy south plantation life is outstanding. I highly recommend this book.
Terri-Jane
This is the closest I could find to the short stories I read; A Family Affair, Ti Demon, and Desiree's Baby. I enjoyed the short stories, and I might add The Awakening to my ever growing to-read list, just to see how Chopin's writing style changes with a different genre.
Nancy
We didn't actually read this book, but downloaded selected short stories of Kate Chopin for book group. What amazed me was how 'racy' these stories were, considering when they were written. Explorations of prejudice, class, love and lust. Interesting.
Victoria
There's nothing more wonderful than ending my days by curling up in bed with Kate and her intriguing and inspirational, independent and poised characters in the bayous of Louisiana. I love the prevalence of Chopin's voice in all of her stories.
Lucianna
This beautifully written book is an inspiration to feminists.
Chopin was an advocate of woman's writes. Her advocacy shines through her eccentric stories but her points are clearly heard and respected. Truly a gem.
Angelackb
I had to split my stars here, because while I LOVE Kate Chopin's short stories, the story The Awakening
infuriated me. My fav. short story is Desiree's Baby.
Julie H.
So the version I have is the great horkin' two-volume set from 1970. Oh well, it's not like she lived in immediate proximity to my university or anything....
Diana
Very good Novel and I loved the short stories as well. Kate Chopin is a gifted writer and it is a shame that her book went unnoticed for so long.
Niki
Just LOVE her. She's feminist without be a nazi, funny too, and her stories make me long for warm nights in her New Orleans.
Carl Remi Beauregard
The Awakening, always eye opening. The short stories, somehow more satisfying.
Allison Rogers
The story of a hour.. showed how wemon hade no citizenship in the 1800's .....
Eswrowell
Nov 04, 2010 Eswrowell is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Love these short stories. Puts The Awakening in a different light for me.
Kristen-Marie Freeman
I didn't read this edition, but wanted to rate Desiree's Baby (a five).
Jennifer White
Absolutely wonderful, a huge inspiration to me!
Nancy
Apr 14, 2014 Nancy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Love the story "No Regret"
Rachel
Love Chopin...especially The Awakening
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Alex Trevino
Alex Trevino marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Tales and Sketches
  • Novels and Stories: The Call of the Wild/White Fang/The Sea-Wolf/Klondike and Other Stories
  • Pierre, Israel Potter, The Piazza Tales, The Confidence-Man, Tales, Billy Budd
  • Early Novels and Stories
  • The Sheltering Sky, Let it Come Down, The Spider's House
  • Novels, 1944-1953
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Eudora Welty: Stories, Essays, and Memoirs
  • Novels and Stories
  • The Grapes of Wrath and Other Writings, 1936-1941
  • Complete Stories, 1892-1898
  • A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers/Walden/The Maine Woods/Cape Cod
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more
More about Kate Chopin...
The Awakening The Story of an Hour and Other Stories The Awakening and Selected Stories Desiree's Baby The Awakening and Other Stories