Start by marking “Making the Moose Out of Life” as Want to Read:
Making the Moose Out of Life

Making the Moose Out of Life (Life in the Wild)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  49 reviews
From the creator of "Bear Hug" comes the story of a moose who learns how to live life to the fullest. Full color.
Published August 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Making the Moose Out of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Moose Out of Life

karen
brian got me this book.

i'm not sure if his reasoning was

1) because it is canadian
2) because of the "clever" wordplay of the title
3) because he thinks that a picture book is the limit of my intellectual capacity
or
4) because it ends up being a survival narrative and he knows how i like those

i am going to go with option #2. and grumble about it.

this is a story about a moose who is very fearful of life and all its possibilities, when the possibilities require him to do anything involving movement or
Camille
This is another "children's" book that I think is clearly meant for adults who need to be motivated. I hate cheesy motivational stuff, so these kind of books really make me smile, think and wonder about my life.
So a moose realizes he's sheltered himself and sets out to find and experience what he's been missing out on.
If you find yourself in a hermit-like state, staying home or within your safe zone, but finding you want so much more, then this might be the book for you.
Shelli
I found the unadventurous stay at home Moose very relatable; spontaneous Moose appeared to have more fun though. So does this mean that I should take a page from this book, step outside my comfort zone and live life to the fullest??? Maybe...if I ever finish off these piles of library books.

A cute little read for your adventurous or not so adventurous kiddos.
Ariel Cummins
A picture book in the vein of Scardey Squirrel that centers on the struggle of a moose who can't let himself let go of his fears and embrace life. He strikes out on a sailboat, and discovers that there is fun in risk taking!

Really delightful illustrations, but the story was only okay for me (perhaps because it's so close to my favorite squirrel?!?). Kids will probably relate to being scared and not able to do things their friends are doing -- life is a lot more intimidating when you're little!
Amy Adams
This was a really weird (to me) way to tell a story. The illustrations were cool to look at, but they just sort of supplemented the story. They didn't really help move it along or add anything special to it. The story itself was about a moose who didn't really want to do anything out of his comfort zone and was then put in a situation where he was forced to do so. There's only one character in the story that has a name, and he plays a fairly minor role. The main character doesn't get a name, whi ...more
Matthew Huang
This book is about a moose who is missing on all the fun that his friends Bear and Beaver are having. On one sunny day, Moose decided to go on an adventure in order to find that something missing. He crash landed on a deserted island where he meet a tortoise named Tuesday. They became best friends and had a lot of fun together. But eventually Moose had to go back to his friends, they had fun together every day and Moose found that something missing.
The reason I picked up this book was because I
Chenny Wu
This was a really fun book to read. I love how this story has a real life meaning, that tells you to try new things and experience more things in your life, and living it to the fullest, making the "moose" out of life. In this book, Moose was scared to try new things or feel uncomfortable, but when he decides to try sailing on a boat, a storm appeared and he ended up on an island and made friends with a turtle named Tuesday. He tried new things and when he went back to his friends he wasn't scar ...more
Kristina Lareau
This title is considerably better than Big Bear Hug as far as the story arc is concerned. As a series, these titles really complement each other for inspiring and uplifting stories. Again, better as a storytime selection rather than touting Caldecott-winning illustrations.
Dolly
Jul 23, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story in the Life in the Wild series by Nicholas Oldland. The story is short and humorous and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. The storyline reminded me of Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Nico
I got this as a Christmas gift. I was so moved by this sweeping narrative! From the moose's vacant stare on the front cover to the moose's vacant stare as he goes skiing, hockey-ing, marshmallow-roasting, and parachuting at the back of the book, I LOVED the moose's every adventure.

The best way to sum up the book is by taking the moose's own words from the final page: "I feel like a new moose. I am always doing something fun and exciting . . . Have you ever been to Africa?"

Go forth, confident, h
Mary
A great story, with the usual lovely illustrations, of the adventure of a rather timid moose who learns to take some chances and enjoy life.
Jennifer B
I bought this for my niece while on vacation. I love the art but young children will not understand the storyline.
AnnieM
So-so illustrations, but I like the story. Get out there and make the most of it.
Jen
I wasn't sure that a picture-book about self-actualization would go over that well, but in this case I was proved wrong. Moose is not a risk-taker, but he comes to suspect that he's missing out on something and in taking a tiny step forward finds himself on the adventure of a lifetime. My little people got the point straightaway: moose misses out on fun and making new friends by being afraid to try new things. That said, some of the humour is more adult centered, for example when Moose finds him ...more
Christine Turner
Although he lives in the wild, this timid, wide-eyed moose is anything but. While his friends go puddle jumping in the rain, he cowers under an umbrella, and he looks on shivering when others go skiing: "Not this moose. Too cold." Sensing he's "missing out on something," the moose decides to "take life by the antlers" and sets sail in a boat that breaks apart in a storm. Stranded on a remote island, he not only summons survival skills-foraging for food, building shelter and a fire-but happily sw ...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
Inthis book, the moose who made a cameo in Big Bear Hug, is featured. The Moose is quite unadventurous and downright boring. His friends, the bear and the beaver, do lot of fun and daring things, but the moose sits out, and feels quite left out.

The moose decides to "take life by the antlers" and ventures out in a boat to sea. There, he finds himself tossed about in a storm and stranded on a deserted islnad with a tortoise named Tuesday.He becomes more adventurous, and is eventually rescued. Onc
Abby
Jul 16, 2014 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A good lesson for all of us!
Becky
A fun picture book that I randomly spotted on the Library's website for ereaders. Fun story. :)
Ina
The audience enjoyed this book much more than I thought they would and even the youngest in the audience seemed to understand and enjoy the humor. A very timid moose, who doesn't like rain or wind or cold, finds himself thrust into an adventure, which changes him. They understood that in order to enjoy life, moose needs to make the most out of everyday and embrace life fully...which he does with great - and hysterically funny - abandon.
Jessica Kluthe
This is my new go-to book for the kids in my life. Everyone needs to "take life by the antlers:" certainly a lesson worth learning young. This lighthearted moose story (really, how many moose stories have you come across... probably not as many as the kitties, puppies, and Doras...) is a perfect bedtime story. The bright illustrations interact with the text, making this a fun, easy read.

Michael
What? Does nobody get it? It is a classic retelling... lost on a deserted island... transformed by a life apart from his comfortable existence... returns a new and better man... he named the turtle TUESDAY people! Robinson Crusoe???? If your first reaction is "I don't get it", you are probably right. Read it again. Thus it might be a good read for kids and adults together; something for everyone.
Liza Gilbert
This is a delightful little story about a moose who won't come out of his shell, so to speak. When he is inspired one day to go sailing, his life takes a very adventurous turn. There are many quirky moments in the text and illustrations, and overall it is a nice, enjoyable read.
Lucia
"Sharing a charming cast of characters, Nicholas Oldland's light-hearted, comtemporary fable celebrates living life to the fullest." Moose grabs life by the antlers and starts enjoying life!!! I think I like Nicholas Oldland's first book, Big Bear Hug, better. But this one is still cute!!
Taunya
Moose feels that something is missing in his life and he's not quite sure what. He goes sailing and gets lost at sea, but in the process finds himself.
This book is so cute. Wyatt has been requesting it every night. I love to hear him say the title.
Nicole
The book had me with the first image of Moose (love him!). And then when he meets up with the turtle, Tuesday? So cute. Nicely done story about embracing life and getting out of your comfort zone to experience it to the fullest...
Stefani
I wanted to like this because I loved Big Bear Hug. The artwork is adorable. Aaaannnddd... that's it. The story is just too long and too complex for children. I don't know who I'd hand it to and I wouldn't use it in storytime.
Heidi
Huh. Well....OK. The pictures made me smile. The humor and the message seemed much more for older kids if not teens and adults. Parts of it seemed a bit random. I liked Tuesday.
Cumberland Public Libraries
Fun story about a scaredy moose who makes new friends and learns to try new things. Adult readers and children can enjoy this one together.

- Eden, Parrsboro Library
Jaime
Fun! I am all about finding adventures in life and this story was well written and illustrated. The kids and I all got a kick out of it. It helps that I love moose.
  • Little Owl Lost
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A novel of snow and courage
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Uncle Andy's: A Faabbbulous Visit With Andy Warhol
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Small Saul
  • There's a Fly Guy in My Soup (Fly Guy, #12)
  • Ten Birds
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Little Boy
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • How to Lose a Lemur
Nicholas Oldland earned a degree in Fine Arts at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick, Canada and enjoyed success as a commercial artist and filmmaker before taking up the role of Creative Director at Hatley, a popular apparel company.
More about Nicholas Oldland...
Big Bear Hug The Busy Beaver Up the Creek Dinosaur Countdown Walk on the Wild Side