Start by marking “The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain” as Want to Read:
The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain

The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  804 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Arranged alphabetically by topic, from Adam to Youth, and culled from his novels, speeches, letters, and conversations, this anthology of quotes is timeless and represents the very essence of Mark Twain -- hilarious, cranky, and insightful.
Published May 11th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain

Arthur Graham
Not quite as good as The Devil's Dictionary, IMO, but still quite good as I recall.
James
As a professor once told me, "If you ever need a quote to pep up a paper, look no further than Mark Twain." This book is illustrative of that comment as he provides critiques and commentary on many different topics. I tend to collect quotations and use them to pep up conversations as well as academic papers and Twain is, indeed, a strong source of such quotes.

Whether commenting on the potential for both good and ill out of people in general or critiquing the works of other authors ranging from
Tammy
Such a great book...Mark Twain is one of those authors that I wish I could meet...maybe in the afterlife? He would probably make fun of my wish. Here are some gems:
About boys: "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

On government: "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

"Irreverence is the champion of liberty."

And my favorite...when talking to a Mormon about polygamy, the Mormon wagered tha
Lesley
I really enjoyed this short book of quotes by Mark Twain! It was a quick and humorous read in front of the fireplace this evening. A couple of my favorites from this collection include:

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been."

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is the lightening that does the work."
Brenda Knight
I truly enjoyed this book. It's the meat & potatos of Twain's best quotes. Some of the quotes are well known, others, not so known. Simply put, it's Twain at his very best on each and every page.
I highly recommend this book to all fans of Twain's humor and insite.
Amanda Patterson
If you like Mark Twain, you'll like this collection. He is an American icon. It's difficult to dislike him. He's charming, witty and a shameless self-promoter. This means he knows what you want and he gives it to you.
Mary
This was a fantastic quick read called the Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain - A Book of Quotations. I won it in a GoodReads giveaway and read it in a day. Perfect for the person who wanted to know a little more about the man which I am embarrassed to admit I had not read much about or by him for that matter. Not even Tom Sawyer. Sad but true. Now, thanks to this quick book of quotes I realized I must now read everything I can about and by the man. Thank you for sharing this with me.
Zach
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

I shall never tire of, nor finish reading Mark Twain -- something this collection proved again and again; the above gem is one of many that were new to me. It was a great follow up to the "Handbook for the Damned Human Race."
Michael
I have used Mark Twain's quotes too help rise my son( he's 14 now). This book has brought back a lot of memories. My son has thanked me in the past for my thought provoking wisdom, I guess I have to let him in on my secret.
Donna Gardner Liljegren
A re-read. Just because. I leave you with this gem: 'That's the difference between government and individuals. Governments don't care, individuals do."
Vikas Soni
A compilation collected from Mark Twain's books, speeches, letters and conversations which are as witty and pertinent today as they were in his time.
CB
Some of these quotes are funny and quirky, but most have a ring of truth to them.
Lexie Thompson
Very enjoyable read, will definitely read more about/by him.
Great Quotes Quotes
Wonderful book,Mark Twain was really not afraid to say anything.
Karen
Such a fun collection of quotes.
Megan Yaek-Gabridge
Great read- quick, witty, insightful.

I shook my head, pursed my lips with "hmmm," and I smiled.
MiChAeLPaUl
A collection of clever quotes from the writings of MT, aka SC.
Deborah Arvin
Love anything Mark Twain! Great resource to draw from if you're a writer or public speaker!
Brian Eshleman
This book was the perfect stocking-stuffer. 1) It allowed me to start reading immediately, as is my bookish nature. 2) I could actually share the quotes which had enough humor in them to engage conversation in a holiday mood. 3) It allowed me to pad my total of books read for 2011 as we near the year's end.
Elizabeth
If you ever need a Mark Twain quote-this is the place to go! The editor even does an amazing job researching which quotes were simply attributed to Twain, and others are cited from journals, books, or speeches.

Highly recommend for the Mark Twain ingeniousness and the thorough research.
Leonca
It’s been years since I read any of Mark Twain’s books, so I didn’t remember his writing style too well. I remembered his sense of humor, which is excellent, but not his pessimistic views on life. Not the kind of wit or wisdom I’m looking for.
Kate
Twain quotes are the best. Serious and witty, hilarious and satirical. You must know a Twain quote. My favorite: "Misery can take care of its self; but to get the full measure of joy you must have someone to share it with."
Sweetpea
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. A wonderful collection of quotes from Mark Twain, witty and forever relevant.
Sherry
I really don't like Mark Twain but for some reason found myself enjoying this book of quotes. I hate to give him any praise but I really do admire his wit.
Read1000books
A wonderfully funny little book, great for use by the public speaker, as well as on the night stand. And this edition (Dover) is inexpensive too.
Hannah
Great book! It's a quick read; I laughed the entire way through. I also enjoy trying to memorize the quotes. They're helpful to have on hand. lol.
Megan
Just something to leave on your computer desk for that often needed laugh at the world and all its absurdities. "Well put."
Gina Giuliano
Aug 01, 2007 Gina Giuliano rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and all!
This is just a little book of Twain gems that I got on a recent visit to the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, CT.
Kinsey
Great little book of quotes from one of the best figures in literary history.
  • The Collected Writings Of Ambrose Bierce
  • The Devil's Dictionary and Other Works
  • Robert Anton Wilson Explains Everything or Old Bob Exposes His Ignorance
  • Incredibly Strange Music, Vol. One
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • The Liar's Tale: A History of Falsehood
  • Wit and Wisdom: A Book of Quotations
  • Who Killed John F. Kennedy? (Lose Your Own Adventure #1)
  • Myths of Greece and Rome
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • A Child Again
  • The Last Coin
  • The Voice Imitator
  • The Book of the Unknown: Tales of the Thirty-six
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations
  • Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • Generation of Vipers
  • Proofs of a Conspiracy
QUOTABLE AYN RAND: An A to Z Glossary of Quotations from Ayn Rand The Wit and Wisdom of Eleanor Roosevelt: An A-Z Compendium of Quotations The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: An A-Z Compendium of Quotes from the Most Eloquent of American Presidents The Wisdom of Martin Luther King, Jr. The Wit and Wisdom of John F. Kennedy: An A-to-Z Compendium of Quotations

“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” 5336 likes
“Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any.” 120 likes