Start by marking “A Vintage Affair” as Want to Read:
A Vintage Affair

A Vintage Affair

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,090 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Message in a bottle.

Somewhere in the cobwebbed cellar of the decrepit antebellum mansion known as Ballineen are the legendary Lee bottles -- and Austin Gillespie is there to find them. The last thing on his mind is a hot and heavy romance with handsome bad boy Jeff Brady. But Jeff has other ideas and, after one intoxicating night, so does Austin.

The only problem is they

Published June 22nd 2010 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about A Vintage Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vintage Affair

Ami
Emma Sea
Oct 26, 2012 Emma Sea rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Let me tell you about my Saturday afternoon read. I'm cruising along on a delirious 4.5 stars of romantic angsty narrative happiness and suddenly BAM! I hit a giant m/f/m pothole followed by an exposition debris field. The book spins out of control and crashes to an untimely halt, leaving me both nauseated and disturbed. I stagger from the story wondering what the hell happened.

I think I need a hug.
Susan
Jan 07, 2014 Susan rated it liked it

Oh Mr. Lanyon…grrrr…

WHY do your books always feel like an amuse bouche I’m given to try before a gourmet meal that I’m not allowed to attend?

I always get just a little taste of something fantastic and then, I’m escorted to the exit.

I really liked Vintage Affair. Wine, murder, Southern crazies, an underwear model, a boy genius, and a dazzling smile…no-brainer for me.

Austin and Jeff are an interesting pairing and easy to root for. But, I wanted to get to know them more...they feel, right now, like
Jenre
Jul 09, 2010 Jenre rated it it was ok
Natasha
Hey guys,

Remember that story, A Vintage Affair, by my most favorite author ever? Lanyon?

Me neither.
Sofia
Dec 29, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it

I liked the story, the characters, the premise and the ideas Lanyon wanted to explore in this one. It did not wholely deliver for me, it is a complex story with different difficult threads to sort out which might have merited some more length.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~
May 17, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Ellis Carrington
Heather C
Probably more like 2.5 stars

I finally decided to read this one and get it out of the way. I have to admit that I was already prejudiced against it because I already knew about the ménage scene. (view spoiler)
R * A Reader Obsessed *
This was probably the most atypical Lanyon story I've read to date. It's not real heavy on the mystery, nor is it heavy on the romance either. Maybe what's not surprising though, is that one of the main characters is a closeted private investigator.

Austin is a sommelier and he's been sent to Georgia to confirm ownership of some infamous wine purportedly owned once by General Robert E. Lee. What he finds instead is a dead body in the cellar and the attention of PI Jeff.

There's instant attraction
Steelwhisper
Another book by Josh Lanyon which left me wanting more. MORE. The shortness is what cost it that one star.

Without giving away too much, it is my feeling that it is the short length which made the resolution slightly less satisfying than what could have been. As always the descriptions, the characters and the ideas behind this story are genuine Lanyon and so engaging. Unlike several reviewers I do not mind m/f scenes in my gay romances, in fact it was refreshing to have one in there showing just
Arch Bala
Dec 30, 2015 Arch Bala rated it really liked it
Shelves: threesome, wines, south
I’m not sure I like Jeff that much as one of the main characters but I thought Ernest, Cormac and even Carson along with Austin more than made up with the repulsive hang-ups of Jeff towards being gay.
The threesome Jeff initiated just left a foul taste in my mouth but again, fantastic writing…
Syfy
Dec 14, 2012 Syfy rated it it was amazing
Truly a "Vintage Affair"!
*Yup, loved it*

Jun 22, 2010 Kari Gregg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
Deeze
Jan 07, 2014 Deeze rated it liked it
I love Josh Lanyon stories, and I normally love Josh Lanyon characters, but something in this book just didn't work for me.

I found the first half a little slow, and while the second half picked up a bit I found myself bored with the way Austin described everything as if it was a wine. Jeff, while he came good in the end, didn't inspire me to love him.

I did find certain scenes pulled at my heart, mainly the ones that had Austin feeling alone and pushed out, but overall this was just a nice read b
Jaime
Aug 12, 2010 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
He didn't know it, but Mr. Lanyon was under a lot of pressure here. I will make the shameful confession right off the top that this is the first Josh Lanyon book I've read. Not the first one I own, but the first I've gotten around to reading. Being that he's an icon in my own genre, that is a huge oversight on my part. He's kind of like the guy we all want to write like, (and he's also an acquaintance and all round good guy). However, his work automatically goes into that category for me of ...more
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

I liked didn't like liked didn't like liked ... sheesh, I dunno *shrugs* ... okay ... I *begrudgingly* liked this book. It's obviously an uneasy affection because parts of this book left such a bitter taste in my mouth. In short: I loved Ernest, I liked Austin (kinda), I wanted to like Jeff (but didn't), I didn't like Carson (but that was mostly Jeff's fault), and I pitied Cormac (sorta). Jeff pissed me the f*ck off and I hated him 6-ways-to-Sunday for imposing the 3-way with Carson on
Dani
May 23, 2016 Dani rated it liked it

Audiobook review
Well, this was an interesting premise (one, by the way, I loved to go along with): A bonafide bisexual but inconveniently (at least for him) homoromantic MC.
Add to that a unique sense of place and the Lanyon-typical spot-on treatment of complicated familial relationships - and I mean especially Austin's relationship to his father.
However, both the relationship development and the aftermath of the (view spoiler) was glossed over in a way that was not entire
Bea
I loved this book right up to the pointless threesome scene. I get what the character was trying to accomplish, but all I got out of it was that he was a selfish asshole. I actually hated the character, probably one of the first times it has happened.

That being said, the drop in rating is not because the character (an asshole can be well written), but that we had a quick everything solved in a few paragraphs ending. The author is so much better than that. Read the book, but stop at 84%, you can
Macky
Jan 27, 2013 Macky rated it it was amazing
Most free kindle books are a ' you takes your chance and you gets what you gets ' so to be offered a Josh Lanyon novella of a decent length completely free is a definite no brainer choice. Just get it and enjoy a gift from a short story writer who is a master of his craft. Good free stories are few and far between so to get a great one is a boone. Don't even hesitate on this one! Fabulous. Josh Lanyon rocks!

*edit*
This book is back to normal price and I reviewed it as a freebie, concentrating mor
Aoife
Jan 05, 2015 Aoife rated it it was ok
That was not my cup of tea. (I was tempted to say 'not my glass of wine' but I am a poor student so I will basically drink everything that isn't vinegar or sugar-water and that's a comparison the book doesn't deserve even though I did not enjoy it).

First of all: it's definitely more a romance which just happens to involve a dead boy (not as love interest obviously. That would be weird and creepy) than a mystery novel with strong romance. The investigation (including the solution) happened pretty
Alisa
Audio Version

I think I might have liked this better if I had read it but I still wouldn't have loved it. By far my least favorite Lanyon read. I never felt a connection between the two MC's and I hated Jeff. Hated him. That lightened a bit w his grand gesture at the end but not enough. What a selfish ass he was.

I don't recommend the audio at all. It was super slow & boring. The narrator was fine with Austin's voice but his Southern accent for Jeff was horrible. It was like having Foghorn Le
Amy Spector
Nov 24, 2015 Amy Spector rated it really liked it
Lots of great stuff but would have loved to have been part of the mystery solving instead of that happening off page. Rounded up.

I wonder if I am the only person in the world okay with off-page sex but oddly disappointment with off-page mystery solving.

Ahhh That's better.
Lori
Aug 17, 2015 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Characters I enjoyed in a story I wish was longer. Josh Lanyon excels at series where his characters have room to breathe and grow. Enjoyable but not my favourite Lanyon.
Sheri
Jun 26, 2013 Sheri rated it really liked it
Southern scandal. Hint of ‘oh my’. Conflicting connection.

With wary reviews and a critically declared shocking scene, I was pleasantly surprised when I untied the knots of this story. What I found was a complex tale comprising a murder mystery engulfed in a well designed and layered story of an impossible pair.

Austin, a wine sommelier, finds himself in a bit of a pickle while working a big case out of town. He leaves DC and heads south with butterflies knocking around his mid-section in antici
Johanna
Nov 07, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it
Mmm... Robust, developed, savory, supple, generous, well-balanced, velvety, lingering... Could I have another glass of this Josh Lanyon story, please? I loved the way the book was obviously written with all senses wide open. And it always makes me humble when I can clearly see that quite a bit of research has been done while writing the story.

It was fascinating how the main character, Austin, saw the world around him through wine tasting terms and how those terms fit so perfectly for describing
Scarletine
Jan 19, 2016 Scarletine rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
Okay, what the hell just happened? This story was motoring along just fine, with a kookie southern family, a cellar full of vintage wine in need of appraisal and a cute twenty-something master of wine ready to do the job. The plot unfolds nicely until chapter 10 and BAM!
Vivian
Dec 17, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp
Playful read with a dose of heartache. Like the Tennessee Williamsesque tone and over wrought drama in this declining Southern aristocracy story. As usual, the characters are vibrant while the story slides sideways. Not sure I approve of the manner in which that madeira was consumed, and now I'm starving.

Favorite quote:
“And now I realize that being safe isn’t the same as being happy. And that it’s hard to be happy without love."

Lanyon, Josh (2012-06-04). A Vintage Affair (Kindle Locations 2230-
Chris
Aug 24, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Good m/m romantic suspense about a sommelier hired to evaluate the extensive wine collection of a formerly moneyed Southern family who discovers a corpse in the wine cellar. While this was well-written and engaging, the m/f/m scene took me by surprise and the ending seemed hasty and excessively tidy.
Dina
3 1/2 stars

• His For The Holidays
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop #5)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Driftwood
  • Scared Stiff
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Black Cat Ink (Bellingham Mysteries, #3)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Chasing Smoke
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

“They lived seven hundred miles - and a couple universes - apart.” 0 likes