Start by marking “Shaken: Kindle Teaser Chapters (Jack Daniels Mystery #7)” as Want to Read:
Shaken: Kindle Teaser Chapters (Jack Daniels Mystery #7)

Shaken: Kindle Teaser Chapters (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #7)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,619 ratings  ·  247 reviews
This download provides the first three chapters of J.A. Konrath's upcoming novel, Shaken, the seventh installment in the Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series. Shaken will be available on Kindle October 2010 and in print February 2011. Pre-order Shaken now at

Chicago cop Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels has chased, and caught, dozens of dangerous cr
Published (first published May 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaken

I read "most" of the series in order, with the exception of one. The best part of Konrath's books is that each one is designed to be read as a stand-alone. However, if you follow them for the entire series, there are little extras that you pick up in the narration along the way. In SHAKEN, Konrath takes the novel in 3 different time periods. The way he does this makes it very easy to follow along, while we get a detailed look into a few cases in Jack's career that are connected to the current ti ...more
wow... that was intense. Had to put the book down several times to catch my breath.
This series started out great and just gets better with every book. If you like humor, great characters, and story lines that just don't let up, please read the Jack Daniels' series and read them in order. They are amazing.
Jackie, "Jack" Daniels is a former Chicago detective. Now a private investigator, she's abducted from her home and his bound and about to be tortured by the famous killer, "Mr. K."

The story is segmented into three parts. In the first part, it tells about Jackie going undercover twenty-one years ago in order to catch a serial killer who was dismembering and murdering women.

The second segment deals with three years ago when Jackie and her partner are following John Dalton when a body was found and
Joe starts the book with the following: that the reader has a choice…he’s trying something new and wrote the story out of sequence as well as writing it the regular way. He wanted to know what the reader thinks of each form. I started out of sequence since I don’t mind reading a book that way so long as I have a wee cranium’s up for the jump in time. Joe complies and I did fine.
This is a thriller in the finest sense of the genre. Mr. K is a killer who Jack has been tracking for 20 some years. T
Darcia Helle
Konrath uses a different format for the seventh book in his Jack Daniels series. Instead of a linear story, he gives us glimpses of the present, weaving that in with two separate timelines from Jack Daniels' past. I have to say that I am not normally a fan of this type of out of sequence writing but Konrath handles it masterfully. He ties the events together perfectly, giving a seamless transition from past to present.

This is Konrath at his best. Shaken had me riveted from beginning to end!

** I
Nikki Wilde
I'd like to start off by saying there will be no spoilers in this review. I am not that kind of girl. Shaken starts out with three different time lines for Jack. Jack is working two separate cases that all seem to come together in the third present time.

The first part shows us when Jack was a rookie working prostitution rings. She chases a John into a back alley where they both stumble upon a dead escort. That puts Jack onto a killer.

The second part has Jack looking for a psychotic killer who to
Kathy Davie
Seventh in the Jack Daniels mystery series set in Chicago and revolving around the former Lieutenant Jacqueline Daniels of the CPD.

The Story
Talk about a case coming back to haunt ya'. Jack's naked and tied up in a storage locker, a digital clock counting down the time she has left to live. And, oh man, she has so much to live for now. An incredible man in her life, Phineas Troutt, and a baby on the way.

Too bad that baby hasn't a chance...not unless her former police partner, Herb Benedict, and
(Copy of my own review of this book on

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but when I saw the cover of `Shaken' it was love at first sight, because I am a bit of a cocktail freak and a nice shiny cocktail shaker set in a lurid pink background was just too much to resist.

This is the penultimate instalment of a series of crime novels set in Chicago, with detective Jaqueline `Jack' Daniels (geddit?) as the protagonist. But fear not, you really need not read the previous i
I'm not sure how to rate this book. Nearing the end I was thinking 4.5 creeping toward 5 stars. There were several things I absolutely loved. Once I "got" the pattern of the time jumps I found them a clever and skilled writing application to illustrate the parallels in the stories and thought they added momentum or urgency that wouldn't have been felt in reading the linear version. The "farewells" had me bawling and exclaiming out loud (the children weren't happy at being woke up at 4am)
I really, really wish I could give half stars, because I would rate SHAKEN a solid 3-1/2 stars. It's an engrossing and suspenseful piece of crime fiction. It was my first taste of "Jack Daniels" and I am charmed enough by the tough yet vulnerable heroine to want to read more about her. I also enjoyed the Chicago locations, which took me right back to the city I called home for more than 16 years.

That said, I would also say that SHAKEN does not measure up when placed alongside the likes of master
Konrath has done it again. He introduced some great villains in one fell swoop with this novel. What made the story extra interesting is how he decided to tell the Jack Daniels story while jumping back and forth in time. The reader really gets an overview of how young Jacqueline progressed to Jack, super cop. Definitely not a good read for the squeamish but for all you horror Aficinados out there.... You will love will cringe. Although you can certainly enjoy this book as a stand-alone, ...more
I just finished "Shaken," the seventh book in the Lieutenant Jack Daniels' series. I've been reading the books, one after another, because they are so darn much fun.

Now, that says something about me, that I consider these violent serial killer thrillers fun. But Konrath's writing style is fast-paced, the characters are well-developed, the one-liners come shooting across the page, fast as any Uzi fire, and the series really is addictive.

The formatting of this book is a bit different. It hops arou
Georgiann Hennelly
This is an exciting book , very suspenseful and exciting.By J.A Konrath I loved the way it shifted back and forth telling three different stories in three different time periods It winds down his Jack Daniels series. This story puts our heroine Jack in some very dangerous and very painful spots. I have read all all the books in this series and i really enjoyed how this one ended.It puts me in suspense for the next book to come out can,t wait!I highly recommend this book to all readers even if yo ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I haven't read anything from this series in a long time.
It took me a few chapters to get back in the swing of these characters.
Good book. I might read the rest of this series one day.
I was lucky enough to get a free download of this book. It was written in a style that I usually do not like - each chapter is a different place in time. I usually find this confusing, but in this book - it worked very well. What I liked most about it is that we got a glimpse of how Jack got to where she is in her life. This installment was a bit different from the others, it's more of a thriller than a mystery. It had just enough laugh out loud moments to keep the story from being just too horr ...more
Joy Wilson
Short but tense read

Spoilers here. I really enjoyed how Konrath jumped from different periods of Danielsife to tie the story and add intensity. The tension level managed to stay pretty high throughout. Although there is no new ground broken with this book, it is a good book for this genre. I didn't really respond to the killers because they had no real back story and although Mr. K was try horrifying, until the very end there was no hi t of why he was the way he was. Not all killers need to be m
Rating: 3 1/2 stars

For the first time in seven books, JA wrote something decent.

Shaken was planned out, thought out, cleverly written, and for once, I actually cared about what happened to Jack.

It took SEVEN books for JA to give anyone a resemblance of a backstory. We learned about Jack when she was just a rookie, dealing with Harry as a partner, and meeting Herb. We also learned about Harry's obsession with wanting a monkey.

We also learn, slightly, how much of a douche bag Alan really is. Wh
Kat Lebo
Shaken, a Jack Daniels mystery, by J.A. Konrath

This was a very different writing style than the previous Jack Daniels novels. I can’t say I’m a fan. Yet, there were things about the style that I liked, but mostly it was just a hot mess. So, let’s dive right in.

Konrath writes this novel in three time lines: twenty-one years ago, three years ago, and present day. He does this by alternating timelines by chapter, although not in a relegated fashion, so the reader, unless reading this in a single si
This is the seventh in the Jack Daniels series and my first by J.A. Conrath, the combination of good characters and intrigue was absolutely what kept it interesting for me. Even though I jumped into the middle of the series this book gave me a good sense of the characters personalities and evolution. The story has a sliding timeline that covers the progression of Jack/Jackie Daniels life as first a policewoman and eventually matures onto her background and success as a detective. In this additio ...more
Yet another fast paced Konrath serial killer novel. This book veered to the serious and thrilling and less from the silly, probably because the series is coming to a close and I've learned from reading Konrath's other books that he has no problem with killing off major characters. I've definitely become a fan and look forward to what he claims will be the last book in the series, Stirred.
Lend this with Amazon Prime for free, as I needed a short break from You're Next. Gripping beginning.
And it is a short read.
A few different timelines are chapter wise swapped and tangled. As it is obvious from the beginning, that Jack (not Daniels the whole time) is alive till the last timeline (2010), not all of it is very suspenseful. But great writing. Be aware, quite a lot of detailed torture.
A few different serial killers pop up in the book, some playing major parts.
As with some of the othe
OK...I enjoyed this one more than Cherry Bomb but it still didn't take me back to the enjoyment I had reading the earlier novels. The humor was there, somewhat and the excitement came back, a little and the originality was there, kind of. There is still one more novel and I believe I will read it and hope that find the humor, joy and excitement that I had in Whiskey Sour.
DNF 14%

I wanted to keep going because I like a strong female protagonist, a cop story (like the Harry Bosch series) and a mystery but this was too violent and dark for my taste from the very start. It could be because I read #4 as my introduction to the series so there is no set-up of characters to get emotionally engaged in - the story starts with the gore and violence right away.

I'm also not a big fan of jumping POV - one chapter from the protagonist view, one from the villain, etc. I'm gettin
3,5 Sterne

Auch diesen Thriller habe ich mehr oder weniger blind bei einem Kindle Daily Deal gekauft und habe, nach meinem letzten Reinfall, wieder schlimmes befürchtet. Allerdings war er überraschend gut, bis kurz vor dem Ende war ich sogar versucht 4,5 Sterne zu vergeben, wenn mir nur das Ende nicht zu abrupt und wenig zufriedenstellend gewesen wäre.
Die Geschichte ist spannend und clever erzählt, stellenweise aber extrem brutal, also nichts für schwache Nerven. Die Protagonisten sind sympath
Great book! Loved the format used, it was like reading 3 thrillers at once! Once you start you can't stop reading until your finished.
Kennen Sie das? In einem Buch stehen sich Cop und unglaublich schlauer, nahezu übermenschlicher Serienkiller gegenüber. Es gibt einen alles entscheidenden Kampf und am Ende siegt natürlich das Gute, denn der Leser möchte ja ein Happy End. Wenn Sie diese Tour Leid sind, dann sollten Sie mal einen Blick auf Mr. K werfen, denn hier wird dem Leser gezeigt, dass es eben auch ohne Happy End geht.

Erzählt wird die Geschichte um Jackie und ihren "Erzfeind" Mr. K aus mehreren Blickwinkeln. Zwar erzählt Ja
Larry Zieminski
Oct 24, 2010 Larry Zieminski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J.A. Konrath Fans, suspense fans
This is an exciting, suspenseful story from J.A. Konrath. Winding down his Jack Daniels series, this book puts the female heroine in some very painful, dangerous spots. I really enjoyed the way it was told, shifting back and forth through 3 different time periods, telling 3 stories that may (or may not) be connected.

This is only the second Jack Daniels book I've read (the other was Fuzzy Navel), so I can't speak towards whether or not it stays to the Jack Daniels formula, but I found the humor t
Kathy Jenkins
So, is this really a five star book? Well, in the grand scheme of things, probably not, but in my little world where I'm always looking for the next great thriller book, J.A. Konrath, Jack Kilbourn and Blake Crouch are a great team and have given me a great deal of escape from my everyday life and have raised my blood pressure just a bit. So, I'm rating these books based on my world and not the grand scheme of things.

Shaken is one of the Jack Daniels series. I feel so sorry for Jack! She gets h
Kara Jorges
This was my second foray into the world of female Chicago cop, Jack Daniels. In both books, I found I liked her character a great deal. She’s a well-dressed, yet no-nonsense tough girl with her head on straight. She also isn’t suffering any issues discussed ad nauseam on Oprah, so I think she’s awesome.

There were both good and bad things about this novel. I loved the way the story delved into Jack’s distant past and explained a few things about her character. I loved the way the characters were
As the seventh book in the Jack Daniels Mysteries, J.A. Konrath's SHAKEN kidnaps the reader into this suspenseful novel and doesn't let the reader go, even at the end. SHAKEN follows Jack Daniels' career attempts to capture the infamous Mr. K by interspersing three timelines throughout the novel, twenty-one years ago, three years ago, and present day. The philosophical notion of good and evil plays throughout the novel. "What is evil, if it even exists" is a question Jack has to answer, and she ...more
  • Break You (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite #3)
  • Truck Stop
  • Der Trümmermörder
  • Das Glücksprojekt. Wie ich (fast) alles versucht habe, der glücklichste Mensch der Welt zu werden
  • Thorn (The Token, #7)
  • Hush
  • Timecaster
  • Vertraute Gefahr (Hunter, #1)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (9 books)
  • Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)

“Life isn’t worth living unless you have someone to share it with, Jacqueline. The good times, and the bad times. In sickness and in health. Even toward the end, she could still make my heart flutter when I looked at her.” 0 likes
“author of more than” 0 likes