Blank-133x176
How to Be a Lady: A Co...

Candace Simpson-Giles

How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy (A Gentlemanners Book)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  26 reviews

Whether a woman is a contractor, a stay-at-home mother, or a high-powered
attorney, the suggestions in How to Be a Lady will cause others to think
"Wow! She's got it all together!"

If a lady is on a diet, she does not speak of it at the table
A lady never eats a meal while behind the wheel of a car
A lady makes it a point to know the names of the teams playing in the
Super...more
Published (first published 2001)

dara
This should be renamed How to be a Doormat--despite the book declaring that a lady should not be a doormat. For every piece of sound, common sense advice offered there is another to contradict it. Don't be a doormat, but also, don't express opinions with which someone might not agree and never decline any invitation. Besides this are trivial tidbits such as: A lady makes it a point to know the names of the teams playing in the Super Bowl. Seriously? There are a few helpful reminders to get frequ...more
Lize
Okay, this is really basic stuff. So basic, in fact, that I began to wonder who the book was for. And then I read a few of the reviews on Goodreads and discovered exactly who the book was for, and apparently they wanted none of it. Which is sad, really, but that’s the way it usually happens.

The book could easily be summed up into a single sentence on page 115:

“A lady knows that when faced with a question as to how to treat another person in any situation, she attempts to treat that person as s...more
Rhandi Wallace
“How to be a Lady”, by Candace Simpson-Giles, is your basic 101 guide for the do’s and don’ts of being a female with manners. The book is filled with statements that are made with no explanation behind them. The statements made follow the same outline. “A lady must always…”, or “if a lady must d this, she first must make sure that…” The book will occasionally give a scenario, such as “A lady goes on a date”, and explain through a very short story how the scenario should be played out.
The rhetor...more
Alison
Some of this is obvious but it never hurts to brush up. Especially with such fabulosity as this:
"When a guest behaves less than mannerly, a lady endures the actions of her guest, but she remembers those actions the next time she makes out her guest list."
(aka, a true lady knows how to embody the qualities of endurance and vengeance - with grace)
Sommer Melody
I got this book last christmas from my dad. I thought he was joking, I just gave him a blank stare.
Rhonda
...a practical book of etiquette, written in 2001, and is not so old-fashioned...contains lots of good info on lots of different situations...sometimes we forget how to be a "lady" and so many times our behavior is so casual anymore, but it would sure be nice if women at least "knew" how to behave in every situation, and it would be refreshing if they actually DID it again.
"A lady," says the author, "knows that beauty can fade and wealth can leave her, but her character is the lasting marker by...more
Rachel
I enjoyed this up to date modern etiquette book. Many of these things are being overlooked by "ladies" in today's fast paced world. There are things I will take and leave from this book. I'm glad I took the time to read this one!
Suz
If I tried to follow all the "a lady does nots" I'd have a mental breakdown, but it was a pretty hilarious read so it gets five stars.
Betzy
I was expecting to read something related to etiquette, but I found pretty basic tips, wich are valuable. However it was nothing I did not know. I liked it anyways, it served as a reminder.

Nevertheless, at points, of the pieces of advice were reppetitive and most of the book could be summarized as:

1. A lady should have common sense.
2. A lady should be gracious at every moment.

(A lady must know the SuperBowl teams playing? Really?)

Chantell  Petrell
Some parts of this book (if you could call it that; it's really a collection of brief instructions) are wonderful; other parts are, to be quite frank, uppity and unimportant. Overall, not a waste of time, but not exactly a learning experience.
Staci
Picked this one up as a bedside book for my guest room. The sales clerk said it was such a cute book!

I thought there would be more instruction - not just lists of things a lady does and doesn't do.

Laura Cococcia
I rarely dislike a book, but I have to say this was a bit disturbing. You can read my review of How to Be a Lady and other nonfiction reviews at: http://laurareviews.blogspot.com/sear...
Rosalie
quick, easy, simple to read and understand. the lost art of poise and politeness is still alive and well in this time. i may not agree with every point, but find it a nice structure and idea to hold to.
Katalina Cabral-Olivera
I just adore this book. I wish books like this would be required reading for all of our young teenage girls today. It's a lovely breath of fresh air to read this book aloud to my daughter.
Rachelle
I did not agree with everything but some interesting insights.Nothing I wasn't already raised with. I wish it was slightly better organized within chapters as well.
Lindsay
Some great pointers on things such as thank you notes and introductions. It is probably things that you have already heard, but a great reminder nonetheless!
Lia
Nov 19, 2007 Lia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Recommended to Lia by: M
This is an abysmal book. I know how to be a lady without knowing what teams are playing in the Superbowl. [hiccup]
Enjoyable quick read...and a reminder that I have many areas in need of improvement! A great tabletop book!
Anna
Most of these are basic knowledge, but it never hurts to remind yourself about them.
Kathryn
Fun to read things I've always know...my mother taught me well.
The Boston Fashionista
Manners are the most fashionable thing you can do!
Nancy
Filling in a few gaps in my manners.
Astrila
Jun 10, 2008 Astrila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women
Recommended to Astrila by: found myself
Shelves: read-non-fiction
A must for every lady's bookshelf.
Tiffany
Helpful ideas for raising a young lady!
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
vasundhara
vasundhara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jul 16, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: update page count ISBN 9781558539396 1 7 Sep 16, 2013 11:03PM
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • Manners
  • Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct
  • The Art of Civilized Conversation: A Guide to Expressing Yourself With Style and Grace
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • The Most Evil Women in History
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • Very Classy
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
How to Raise a Gentleman Revised & Updated: A Civilized Guide to Helping Your Son Through His Uncivilized Childhood