Start by marking “How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy (A Gentlemanners Book)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
How to Be a Lady: A Co...

Candace Simpson-Giles

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  32 reviews

Whether a woman is a contractor, a stay-at-home mother, or a high-powered
attorney, the suggestions in How to Be a Lady will cause others to think
"Wow! She's got it all together!"

If a lady is on a diet, she does not speak of it at the table
A lady never eats a meal while behind the wheel of a car
A lady makes it a point to know the names of the teams playing in the
Super
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Lady

dara
This should be renamed How to be a Doormat--despite the book declaring that a lady should not be a doormat. For every piece of sound, common sense advice offered there is another to contradict it. Don't be a doormat, but also, don't express opinions with which someone might not agree and never decline any invitation. Besides this are trivial tidbits such as: A lady makes it a point to know the names of the teams playing in the Super Bowl. Seriously? There are a few helpful reminders to get frequ ...more
Lize
Okay, this is really basic stuff. So basic, in fact, that I began to wonder who the book was for. And then I read a few of the reviews on Goodreads and discovered exactly who the book was for, and apparently they wanted none of it. Which is sad, really, but that’s the way it usually happens.

The book could easily be summed up into a single sentence on page 115:

“A lady knows that when faced with a question as to how to treat another person in any situation, she attempts to treat that person as s
Rhonda
...a practical book of etiquette, written in 2001, and is not so old-fashioned...contains lots of good info on lots of different situations...sometimes we forget how to be a "lady" and so many times our behavior is so casual anymore, but it would sure be nice if women at least "knew" how to behave in every situation, and it would be refreshing if they actually DID it again.
"A lady," says the author, "knows that beauty can fade and wealth can leave her, but her character is the lasting marker by
Betzy
I was expecting to read something related to etiquette, but I found pretty basic tips, wich are valuable. However it was nothing I did not know. I liked it anyways, it served as a reminder.

Nevertheless, at points, of the pieces of advice were reppetitive and most of the book could be summarized as:

1. A lady should have common sense.
2. A lady should be gracious at every moment.

(A lady must know the SuperBowl teams playing? Really?)

Rhandi Wallace
“How to be a Lady”, by Candace Simpson-Giles, is your basic 101 guide for the do’s and don’ts of being a female with manners. The book is filled with statements that are made with no explanation behind them. The statements made follow the same outline. “A lady must always…”, or “if a lady must d this, she first must make sure that…” The book will occasionally give a scenario, such as “A lady goes on a date”, and explain through a very short story how the scenario should be played out.
The rhetor
Alison
Some of this is obvious but it never hurts to brush up. Especially with such fabulosity as this:
"When a guest behaves less than mannerly, a lady endures the actions of her guest, but she remembers those actions the next time she makes out her guest list."
(aka, a true lady knows how to embody the qualities of endurance and vengeance - with grace)
Sommer Melody
I got this book last christmas from my dad. I thought he was joking, I just gave him a blank stare.
Katie
I read this book mostly for research purposes. While it contains a few interesting bits of information, it is mostly common knowledge, outdated, or incomplete. "A lady knows how to (enter random task)"
Well, what if I don't know? The book does not give any solid advice on how to act in certain, very formal situations but seems to assume the reader knows already. Further, the author repeats himself multiple times, giving the same piece of advice over and over again in the same wording. This book w
Melissa
This book is merely a list of rules. It makes no effort to be entertaining. There are far better manners books out there that are more engaging.

I find several rules problematic. I think there are negative self messages as well as messages that are judgmental of the way others live their lives.
Rachel
I enjoyed this up to date modern etiquette book. Many of these things are being overlooked by "ladies" in today's fast paced world. There are things I will take and leave from this book. I'm glad I took the time to read this one!
Jennie Machines
This book was more of a list of what a lady should and should not do, but offered very little in explanation of how to accomplish those things.
Suz
If I tried to follow all the "a lady does nots" I'd have a mental breakdown, but it was a pretty hilarious read so it gets five stars.
Katherine
Fun to read, and quick. This is a well written book of etiquette that should be read by everyone. It is filled with ideas and suggestions to improve yourself.
Lisa Fuller
This is an excellent source of information, although I already knew most of it (thank you Georgia!)
Sandra
Great tips on how to be a lady and things a lady is expected to do!
Chantell  Petrell
Some parts of this book (if you could call it that; it's really a collection of brief instructions) are wonderful; other parts are, to be quite frank, uppity and unimportant. Overall, not a waste of time, but not exactly a learning experience.
Staci
Picked this one up as a bedside book for my guest room. The sales clerk said it was such a cute book!

I thought there would be more instruction - not just lists of things a lady does and doesn't do.

Laura Cococcia
I rarely dislike a book, but I have to say this was a bit disturbing. You can read my review of How to Be a Lady and other nonfiction reviews at: http://laurareviews.blogspot.com/sear...
Rosalie
quick, easy, simple to read and understand. the lost art of poise and politeness is still alive and well in this time. i may not agree with every point, but find it a nice structure and idea to hold to.
Katalina Cabral-Olivera
I just adore this book. I wish books like this would be required reading for all of our young teenage girls today. It's a lovely breath of fresh air to read this book aloud to my daughter.
Rachelle
I did not agree with everything but some interesting insights.Nothing I wasn't already raised with. I wish it was slightly better organized within chapters as well.
Lindsay
Some great pointers on things such as thank you notes and introductions. It is probably things that you have already heard, but a great reminder nonetheless!
Lia
Nov 19, 2007 Lia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Recommended to Lia by: M
This is an abysmal book. I know how to be a lady without knowing what teams are playing in the Superbowl. [hiccup]
Enjoyable quick read...and a reminder that I have many areas in need of improvement! A great tabletop book!
Anna
Most of these are basic knowledge, but it never hurts to remind yourself about them.
Kathryn
Fun to read things I've always know...my mother taught me well.
The Boston Fashionista
Manners are the most fashionable thing you can do!
Nancy
Filling in a few gaps in my manners.
Astrila
Jun 10, 2008 Astrila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women
Recommended to Astrila by: found myself
Shelves: read-non-fiction
A must for every lady's bookshelf.
Tiffany
Helpful ideas for raising a young lady!
Goodreads Librari...: update page count ISBN 9781558539396 1 8 Sep 16, 2013 11:03PM
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • As a Lady Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations
  • Manners
  • The Art of Civilized Conversation: A Guide to Expressing Yourself With Style and Grace
  • Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • The Art and Power of Being a Lady
  • The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Most Evil Women in History
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • More Hours in My Day: Proven Ways to Organize Your Home, Your Family, and Yourself
  • The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love
  • Shoo, Jimmy Choo!: The Modern Girl's Guide to Spending Less and Saving More
  • The Terror: The Merciless War for Freedom in Revolutionary France
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
How to Raise a Gentleman Revised & Updated: A Civilized Guide to Helping Your Son Through His Uncivilized Childhood