Start by marking “The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1)

The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,475 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
The first in the newly repackaged Kensington Chronicles series, "The Hawk and the Jewel sweeps" readers from the tapestried halls of Victorian England to the alabaster courts of Arabia.

Everyone thought little Sunny had perished with Lady Gallagher in storm-tossed seas off the Arabian coast, but the beautiful toddler had been found, taken to the palace of Darhabar, and rais
Published January 1st 2004 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Hawk and the Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hawk and the Jewel

MAP
Nov 15, 2013 MAP rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For a quick rundown on my opinion of this book, here were my updates while reading it:
1)"Nothing says "wallpaper historical" like setting your novel in 1844 and then having your characters talk about gender equality."
2)"Ermigerd nothing has happened for a hundred pages! Come ON, DO something, please! Bored bored bored."
3)"You know, it's really telling when your main thought while reading a book is, 'The BIBLE is less preachy than this.'"

For the long version, read here:
This is the second Lori Wi
Alicia
Feb 15, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I loved this book SO much when I was 14. The sweeping Victorian period, the romance between the staid Brandon and impulsive Sunny, the exotic locales of Darhabar and England, all of it.

But 20 years later, after re-reading this book, my feelings have changed quite a bit. Honestly, this book is still entertaining. Maybe not for the right reasons, but in a snicker-at-a-B-move sort of way. For instance, read this excerpt about two 16 year old friends in the book. If you think it is fine, then you w
Carrie
I almost want to give this 2 stars, but what pushes me to three is that I enjoyed the story. Wick is a mediocre writer, and I was irritated at how perfect all of her characters were (besides the main character). There were times when I rolled my eyes at the language and actions of the characters. I didn't quit the book though, because I had to know the ending.

One of my gripes w the perfection of her characters is that they are Christians. Sunny, the main character, is not a Christian and makes a
Lexie
Dec 27, 2011 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I really loved about this story is that Sunny was flawed... Wick has a tendency of creating flat, idealized, and one-sided characters, but such is not the case with Brandon and Sunny. The only thing I did not like was the fact that she did little or no research on the Victorian era. It is described as being almost like a fantasy, with women being swept off their feet by their lovers. That is not the case... The Victorian era was not exactly a good era for the glorification of women. Th ...more
Jessie
Apr 16, 2011 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. I've read it at least 3 times. As with all my opinions on Lori Wick books, my only two issues with her writing are as follows: 1. Even though I myself am a Christian, I wish her books were LESS Christian. In my opinion, way too much of her books are chewed up by one main character leading another main character to Christ, and I just think that's a little preachy. (2. Her odd language :p like really, how many times can one character say, "Oh Brandon!" before it gets old? :p

But
Willowy Whisper
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! I have read millions of books (not really...but a bunch!) and I'd have to say that this was probably the most romantic, touching, and amazing book I have ever read! Her characters grip your attention, pull you into their world, and find a place in your heart.
Dee
Apr 08, 2011 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Lori Wick's English Garden series several years ago from our public library's Bookmobile service. I had students in my high school library request more books like Julie Klassen's and happened to remember Wick's series. I decided to order a couple of them. I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Since it's Spring Break, I also decided to reward myself with some pleasure reading time. So I settled down with THE HAWK AND THE JEWEL one day and finished it last evening. About halfway through the boo
Jennifer Dejager
All she knew was her life in Darhabar, but without Shani knowing what was truly happening her world was radically changing. Shani was from England, but as far as she knew her parents had both died from drowning, and she had been taken in as the emir’s daughter. The emir felt it time to let his daughter go and learn the ways of her true people, so he arranged her to tour an Englishman’s ship. When Shani awoke on the ship she felt a jolt and realized she was no longer on land. The captain, Brandon ...more
Julie Gardner
An old favorite, a silly little historical romance that I love to reread and remember.
Christine
First Christian romance to this atheist: lovely cover and interesting description captivated me. Was it worth it? Well, yes. Writing is dazzlingly clean and I dont mean lack of sexuality (which can be handled without dirt), I mean literal cleanlines, and albeit Lori Wick is clearly a writer with limited writing skills she does nice job in this story, with good setting and some beautiful imagery rivalling gorgeous title. Just what kind of 19th century name is Sunny? Anyway, it is nice, light read ...more
Sianne Morrison
well...you definitely know its a Christian book. Whole sections of quotes and verses and if in doubt just drop to your knees and pray. I was disturbed by the pedophilic tendencies. ...13 year old girl who is loved at first sight by an adult. Underlyong grooming...can't live without you. On the surface all above board but it kinda got stuck in my gullet somehow. I would leave this alone. not the best for several reasons.
Nanci
Aug 17, 2013 Nanci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
This the first book I have read by this author. For the first 2/3 of the book I enjoyed it. A little preachy but I was invested. Then it just got a little too much for me. I became a little irritated with the characters and the story. On the whole it was a good story but It fell a bit flat. I enjoy Christian fiction for the most part but I like it better when they are less "preachy"
Darla
Jan 27, 2014 Darla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Genre:Christian historical fiction/romance) 2 1/2 stars--I liked it alright, but it wasn't a favorite that I will revisit. The focus of this book is 13 year old Shani who is being raised by a wealthy ruler in India in the 1800s. She is of English heritage, but knows nothing of her past, save that her biological father gave her to her stepfather to raise. Shani is a bit of a handful in her Indian household but she is her stepfather's favorite child and so she gets away with a lot. She has been n ...more
Kristina
Feb 12, 2009 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read this for the fifth or sixth time and will be reading it again:) One of my all time favorites.
Susan
I love books with everyday faith included. I'd forgotten what an amazing author Ms. Wick is. I loved all the characters in this book. They became like friends to me. I was so pleased with the conclusion. I didn't see how things were going to work out the way I thought they should. A great reminder of how God works and that His timing is perfect. This story leapt off the pages for me and it was easy to picture in my mind's eye how the story unfolded. I plan to listen to all the books I can find b ...more
Haley *City Girl Appearance~Country Girl Heart*
I really love the story to this one!! AMAZING!!
Stacey Cochran
Jun 13, 2016 Stacey Cochran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Sahni was living the life of a princess. Her father is the emir and she is his favorite. Unlike everyone around her, Sahni is English. Everything about her is different from her siblings. She was found after a shipwreck that claimed the life of her mother and she was hidden from her father. One day, she asks her father about an English ship and if she can visit. He agrees and ends up sending her back to her English family. Bradon "Hawk" Hawkebury, a family friend, is the captain of the ship that ...more
Winter
The Kensington Chronicles is one of my favorite series by Lori Wick and The Hawk and the Jewel is one of my favorite books within this series. It is a really sweet romance that takes place in a beautiful historical setting and has characters that really grow on you until you're invested in the outcome of their story.

I absolutely love Sunny. I can't tell you how many times I grinned to myself while reading about her antics. The fact that she had grown up in another culture and had learn to adjus
Emock
Jan 09, 2016 Emock rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot is intriguing and Sunny is the type of female heroine I enjoy. Unfortunately, things fell flat after there were too many unrealistic misunderstandings. Chemistry between the characters isn't really there and the prose and actions of the characters don't match the time period setting. I didn't love how the emir was portrayed to suit the author's whims. The emir at the beginning seems vastly different from the emir at the end and it felt forced just so the author's chosen plot could pan o ...more
Olivia
May 20, 2016 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though the story held my attention, I felt like it was drug out longer than it needed to be.

I also felt annoyed with almost all of the characters, because they all seemed too perfect and similar. No one stood out or was different except for Sunny and I can't say I was too fond of her.

Lastly, if I could go on a little rant here, I am so very tired of historical fiction writers who name their characters unrealistic names. I highly doubt anyone in the early 1800's would have named their daughter C
taramarie79
Feb 28, 2014 taramarie79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lori Wick is an author like Dee Henderson, who for me, I can re-read and not get tired of. She was a fun discovery - isn't it always that way when you find a new author? The title is cheesy but the characters come to life. I'm not usually a fan of the frontier/pioneer/Victorian era novels. Too many pettycoats. But this one is rather good. She has been writing for a while so I'll be busy looking her up at the libary for awhile.
Kelli
Amazing synopsis. I give the author credit for coming up such a sweeping story. However, the writing is very bland and at times the characters say things that no normal person would say. This author does this with many of her books. Giving her character's voices that are not used in normal speech.

EXAMPLE: (embellished)

"Sunny, are you feeling better?"

"Brandon, I am feeling much better. Thank you for asking."

"OOh Sunny, I am so glad. Don't worry you will love England."

This is my biggest problem
Kathryn
Absolutely loved the time period of dukes and earls! Captivating story of a washed up child rescued and kept in a foreign land and then returned to her wealthy, titled family at 14 years. Her journey to find her true self and her belief in God and change her view of marriage being that of a controlling man. Very sweet! Loved sunny's tactics and spirited personality.
Bochra (bblovesbooks)
I either laughed my head off at how ridiculous the book was or tried not to throw up at how disgusting the idea of Hawk and whatsherface being together was.
I can't be asked to go into details this was not even worth the time of day. The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars is because it was actually entertaining at times. (as in I laughed AT it)
Christopher Sumpter
May 12, 2015 Christopher Sumpter rated it it was ok
Really sub-par writing. But of greater concern was its view of Christianity. The Christian members of the family talk a good game, but their lives are totally self-absorbed. They're so worried about the spiritual state of their little sister, but she's the only one actually doing anything for others. Once she becomes a believer, she also seems to abandon her good works and join the others in living only for self. Disappointing.
Kayla
Nov 26, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, and the rest of the series are also amazing!
Sunny and Hawk are perfect for each other, even though Hawk tries to hide it. The tension near the end is perfect to get Hawk's attention. I love how Lori connected all the other books in the series together, using this book as a starting point.
Marie Freundl
Mar 25, 2016 Marie Freundl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and Lori Wick is my new favorite author. She gives a good balance between realism and fantasy, and her way of introducing her characters and their relationships is extremely well done. I am going to buy this book so that I can enjoy it again and again.
Nakoma
Jun 13, 2016 Nakoma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember parts of this book. It was a cool story. I probably wouldn't read it again. But nothing really wrong with it, except for a married couple being SO far apart in age; that today we would call it robbing the cradle almost.
CHIBUZO
it's so captivating and interesting. Learnt to be patient in loving our unsaved loved ones till they become born again. It becomes more loving and happy when they turn to Christ.
Maggie Shanley
Okay story of a young, beautiful girl was raised in a harem but sent back to England when she's a teenager, and of course the love of her life is the Captain of the ship sent to bring her home.
Christian Book Lo...: January: The Hawk and the Jewel 3 9 Jan 11, 2015 08:25PM
  • Arabian Winds (Egypt Trilogy #1)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • The Truth Seeker (O'Malley #3)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown Series, #1)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Letter Perfect (California Historical, #1)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

Kensington Chronicles (4 books)
  • Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles, #2)
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
  • The Knight and the Dove (Kensington Chronicles, #4)