Start by marking “Secret of Us” as Want to Read:
Secret of Us

Secret of Us

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Bestselling author of the Coming Home to Brewster fiction series (more than 84,000 copies sold) Roxanne Henke introduces a standalone novel about a woman waking up to uncertainty in her life and discovering which path leads to hope.

Housewife Laura Dunn and her workaholic husband, advertising executive Donnie Dunn, have been married for 23 years. As Donnie’s business thrive

Published March 2nd 2009 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secret of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret of Us

Tracie Momie
Shelby N.
I picked this book up at Goodwill, not knowing anything about it. I skimmed over the description on the back quickly. So I didn't realize this was a Christian fiction novel. I've read some from time to time and enjoy them if done right. The author talked about praying and God and stuff, but didn't make it seem awkward or like she was pushing the topic too much. All the religion seemed to fit into the book, not like it was just in there just to be there.

Some of the characters annoyed me from time
Kate
I liked that this book shared the points of view of 3 people: Laura, who is disillusioned with her marriage and tired of her husband never being home; Donnie, the husband who is 'just trying to provide for his family' but isn't ever home to enjoy their company; and Stasha, the daughter who is planning her wedding with stars in her eyes and dreams of having a marriage as perfect as her parents'. Having all 3 perspectives really helped move the story forward, and reminded me that my own perception ...more
Beth Peninger
I liked how Henke wrote the book from the perspective of the mains, she did it really well. Nothing felt missing from the story because of the back and forth between each main character. What really bothered me about the book was the selfishness of everyone. Maybe I'm delusional or maybe I am extremely blessed but the selfishness of the characters made me sick. My husband and I would never dream of treating each other so poorly or even of entertaining the selfish thoughts each of the characters ...more
Larisha
Our lives, plans. EVERYTHING we are - is not about what we want, but what our Father, God knows is best!!

Roxanne Henke so beautifully interweaves into this story the Spirit's leading--spelled out in recognizable thoughts and perfectly scripted--sets this book apart. The precise word pictures are never melodramatic or preachy.

As the relationships of the characters are tested, the reader glimpses the power of married love from multiple perspectives: God's, male and female, newlywed and establishe
Meredith
I picked out this book (for the beach) because I had just finished Henke's Becoming Olivia and wanted to read more by this author. The writing and structure are essentially the same but this book deals with the subtleties of marriage. It is about a woman married to a man who is a workaholic. Their only daughter is a newlywed and there are a lot of interesting comparisons between "new" and "mature" love.

Again, this book describes a Christian view of marriage, but not in a let's-just-not-talk-abo
Chelsea
I really liked this book, but the one thing that bugged me was that the flashbacks to "better days" seemed really confusing. It would be talking about the present, then one or two words would be said, and it would jump back to a memory. Then all of a sudden, it would jump back to the present. I had to reread things so many times. Other than that... REALLY good book!
Gail Sams
Love is patient, love is kind... it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs... (Love) always protects, always trusts, always hope, always perseveres. Love never fails.
I Corinthians 13:4-8
Kathy Biederbeck
A good Christian novel which shows how good marriages can go bad - from selfishness, pride, lack of effort - and how a change in perspective can bring couples back together. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Aetuck
Nice true to life story about marriage and how hard it really is. Sort of a two generation story with trouble in both a young and a not so young marriage. Quick read and I'd recommend it.
Jana
This is a really good book about marriage. I highly recommend it. I liked it so much I emailed the author and I even got a response!

Crystal
Christian romance/marriage novel examining two couples and how they work through their issues with help from their beliefs.
Ellie Revert
I loved the idea of this story--but man, it took SOO long for the protaganists to sort it all out! A good Christian bent.
Jen
What an awesome book. This is great for anyone in a relationship, especially if it has hit the stale, tired stage.
Christy
This was a wonderful book! A reminder that marriage isn't perfect. It's something that needs nurtured every day.
Idawati Wiguno
Jun 16, 2008 Idawati Wiguno rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cynthia
This book shows that any working relationship requires just that: hard-work. And of course: love. Two thumbs up!
Marilyn
A beautiful book of married love - even in difficult times.
Marcia
Loved it! Spoke lots of truths to me too.
Elaine
Jun 03, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Deanna Walker
Deanna Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Bluffcreek
Bluffcreek marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Remember Me
  • Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol (Rock Star Chronicles, #1)
  • Hometown Ties (The Four Lindas, #2)
  • Miracles: The Listener/The Gifted
  • A Garden in Paris
  • Redemption
  • A Love Woven True (Lights of Lowell, #2)
  • Try Dying
  • Angel Song
  • Ransomed Dreams
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Second Chances (Seven Sisters, #1)
  • Summer Breeze
  • The Messenger
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • Beaded Hope
  • Coming Home
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
After Anne (Coming Home to Brewster, #1) Finding Ruth (Coming Home to Brewster, #2) Becoming Olivia (Coming Home to Brewster, #3) Learning to Fly Always Jan (Coming Home to Brewster, #4)

“Feelings follow actions.” 7 likes