Start by marking “Secret of Us” as Want to Read:
Secret of Us

Secret of Us

Bestselling author of the Coming Home to Brewster fiction series (more than 84,000 copies sold) Roxanne Henke introduces a standalone novel about a woman waking up to uncertainty in her life and discovering which path leads to hope.

Housewife Laura Dunn and her workaholic husband, advertising executive Donnie Dunn, have been married for 23 years. As Donnie’s business thrive

Published March 2nd 2009 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secret of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret of Us

Tracie Momie
Pam
Jun 26, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a realistic portrayal of marriage. The book was told in alternating points of view: Laura, a 40 something married woman; Donnie, her similar aged husband of 24 years; and Stasha, their 21 year old daughter, who in the beginning of the book is engaged. The time period goes from a couple of months before Stasha and Josh's wedding to a bit less than two years later. Laura is unhappy in her marriage; Donnie is a workaholic and clueless to how she is feeling. Stasha thinks her parents ...more
Shelby
Jul 20, 2014 Shelby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I picked this book up at Goodwill, not knowing anything about it. I skimmed over the description on the back quickly. So I didn't realize this was a Christian fiction novel. I've read some from time to time and enjoy them if done right. The author talked about praying and God and stuff, but didn't make it seem awkward or like she was pushing the topic too much. All the religion seemed to fit into the book, not like it was just in there just to be there.

Some of the characters annoyed me from time
Esther
May 04, 2016 Esther marked it as abandoned_unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Christian fiction
Shelves: won, given-away, w-usa
I DNFed this book not because it was so awful but rather because it seemed rather predictable and I got fed up with spending time in the company of most of the characters.

The story is told from 3 points of view and I did quite like Laura’s narrative. However I found her inner dialogue to be declamatory and a bit dictatorial, intruding on every thought with a nagging homily. At times I wanted to yell ‘leave the poor woman alone’.
I mean constant complaining is not an attractive trait but surely a
Kate
Aug 26, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this book shared the points of view of 3 people: Laura, who is disillusioned with her marriage and tired of her husband never being home; Donnie, the husband who is 'just trying to provide for his family' but isn't ever home to enjoy their company; and Stasha, the daughter who is planning her wedding with stars in her eyes and dreams of having a marriage as perfect as her parents'. Having all 3 perspectives really helped move the story forward, and reminded me that my own perception ...more
Beth Peninger
I liked how Henke wrote the book from the perspective of the mains, she did it really well. Nothing felt missing from the story because of the back and forth between each main character. What really bothered me about the book was the selfishness of everyone. Maybe I'm delusional or maybe I am extremely blessed but the selfishness of the characters made me sick. My husband and I would never dream of treating each other so poorly or even of entertaining the selfish thoughts each of the characters ...more
Larisha
Oct 27, 2011 Larisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our lives, plans. EVERYTHING we are - is not about what we want, but what our Father, God knows is best!!

Roxanne Henke so beautifully interweaves into this story the Spirit's leading--spelled out in recognizable thoughts and perfectly scripted--sets this book apart. The precise word pictures are never melodramatic or preachy.

As the relationships of the characters are tested, the reader glimpses the power of married love from multiple perspectives: God's, male and female, newlywed and establishe
Meredith
I picked out this book (for the beach) because I had just finished Henke's Becoming Olivia and wanted to read more by this author. The writing and structure are essentially the same but this book deals with the subtleties of marriage. It is about a woman married to a man who is a workaholic. Their only daughter is a newlywed and there are a lot of interesting comparisons between "new" and "mature" love.

Again, this book describes a Christian view of marriage, but not in a let's-just-not-talk-abo
Chelsea
Jun 21, 2012 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, but the one thing that bugged me was that the flashbacks to "better days" seemed really confusing. It would be talking about the present, then one or two words would be said, and it would jump back to a memory. Then all of a sudden, it would jump back to the present. I had to reread things so many times. Other than that... REALLY good book!
Gail Sams
Jul 03, 2008 Gail Sams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love is patient, love is kind... it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs... (Love) always protects, always trusts, always hope, always perseveres. Love never fails.
I Corinthians 13:4-8
Kathy Biederbeck
Apr 01, 2013 Kathy Biederbeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Christian novel which shows how good marriages can go bad - from selfishness, pride, lack of effort - and how a change in perspective can bring couples back together. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Aetuck
Feb 02, 2009 Aetuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice true to life story about marriage and how hard it really is. Sort of a two generation story with trouble in both a young and a not so young marriage. Quick read and I'd recommend it.
Jana
Jan 13, 2008 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book about marriage. I highly recommend it. I liked it so much I emailed the author and I even got a response!

Crystal
Christian romance/marriage novel examining two couples and how they work through their issues with help from their beliefs.
Ellie Revert
I loved the idea of this story--but man, it took SOO long for the protaganists to sort it all out! A good Christian bent.
Jen
Jan 23, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome book. This is great for anyone in a relationship, especially if it has hit the stale, tired stage.
Christy
Apr 10, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful book! A reminder that marriage isn't perfect. It's something that needs nurtured every day.
Idawati Wiguno
Jun 16, 2008 Idawati Wiguno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cynthia
This book shows that any working relationship requires just that: hard-work. And of course: love. Two thumbs up!
Marilyn
Aug 12, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book of married love - even in difficult times.
Marcia
Dec 01, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Spoke lots of truths to me too.
Kristin Esser
Carroll
Sep 10, 2013 Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ND author.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Thyrza
Thyrza marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Carli
Carli marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Gigi
Gigi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • All I Need Is Jesus & a Good Pair of Jeans: The Tired Supergirl's Search for Grace
  • Remember Me
  • Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol (Rock Star Chronicles, #1)
  • Redemption
  • One Last Wish (One Last Wish, #3, 5-6)
  • How to Steal a Car
  • The Fortune Teller's Daughter
  • Angel Song
  • Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits
  • The Messenger
  • Save as Draft
  • The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: Waste-Not Recipes for the Wise Cook
  • The Tapestry (The Creole #4)
  • Aphrodite