Start by marking “Making the Perfect Pitch: Advice from 45 Top Book Agents” as Want to Read:
Making the Perfect Pitch: Advice from 45 Top Book Agents

Making the Perfect Pitch: Advice from 45 Top Book Agents

Aimed at beginning and experienced writers of all sorts of fiction and nonfiction, this guide explains how to craft a successful "pitch" (query letter) to a literary agent. Written by literary agents and other industry professionals, 40 contributions discuss such topics as identifying selling points, conveying enthusiasm, and targeting the pitch to the right agents. ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about Making the Perfect Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Perfect Pitch

Christian McKay
Mar 21, 2009 Christian McKay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: runner-ups
It's strange reading a three-hundred page book in order to learn how to write two paragraphs. But I never felt like I was wasting my time. Those two paragraphs could be the difference between an audience of twelve or an audience of twelve-thousand. Learning what excites agents and what thoroughly pisses them off, what information is necessary and what is extraneous, even what kind of envelope to use: This is a wealth of information for first time authors.

Digesting a full manuscript into just a
Chris Eirschele
Jul 30, 2015 Chris Eirschele rated it really liked it
I highly recommend reading this book if you are a writer with a book manuscript in the works.
Though I read Making the Perfect Pitch by Katharine Sands for help in creating a pitch for my fiction manuscript, the book does include many suggestions for writers with nonfiction manuscripts, too.
It is a compilation of thoughts and recommendations from many literary agents. Making the Perfect Pitch was published by The Writer Books, an imprint of Kalmbach Trade Press.
Travis Casey
Jan 17, 2013 Travis Casey rated it it was ok
If you're looking to get published the traditional way, i.e. through an agent, stay well away from this book. Having been rejected 24 times, I thought I best find out what agents look for when looking to represent an author. By the end of the book, I went out and bought a lottery ticket feeling I had just as much chance of getting lucky on Lotto as I do having an agent sign me up.

The author, an agent herself, interviews other agents, and the reasons for rejection can be as obscure as them suffer
Tom Franklin
Jul 04, 2010 Tom Franklin rated it really liked it
Short chapters by and interviews with agents across the publishing spectrum, collected by a writer/agent.

Although published in 2004 the overall themes are still current.

The occasional contradictory advice from agents (Start with your information; start with a hook) just shows you need to go with what works for you -- or try to do some specific research on the agent you're querying.

While there wasn't much new information here, it's well worth the read to discover the way agents think and approac
Jillian
Dec 30, 2011 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-writing
This book has great practical advice although sometimes the information is contradictory or repetitive (naturally). Most agents seemed to agree on the majority of advice but differed on gift-giving, "Hollywood" pitches, e-mail queries and whether it was okay to call agents.

This would be a helpful book to add to a writer's research shelf but it only skims the basics of how to write a book proposal, synopsis, etc. so if you're aim is step-by-step instructions, you'll need something more specific.
Jeff Lewis
Apr 27, 2013 Jeff Lewis rated it it was amazing
I liked this guidebook because of the varied viewpoints, thoughts and opinions. There is useful information for Fiction and Non-Fiction writers both.

Combining this book with Thinking Like Your Editor will give you a good foundation on what agents and editors are looking for in your pitches and proposals. And what they are NOT looking for as well.

This is not a step by step guide although each chapter is full of actionable steps. Making the Perfect Pitch is an opportunity inside the hearts and mi
Matthew Harrill
Jun 03, 2015 Matthew Harrill rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a revelation. As an author with not a lot of query experience, I am so in debt to a friend for recommending that I get this book. Pages are folded on interesting nuggets, exactly where the books previous owner wrote on the pages! I swear its the literary equivalent of The Half Blood Prince's Potions Book! Granted that maybe ten years after being compiled some of the opinions are a little dated (SASE? Maybe not any more), but ALL of the information on how to write a query letter is ...more
David
Jun 29, 2016 David rated it really liked it
Very helpful anthology of thirty essays by agents or interviews with agents about pitching. A lot of varying topics are covered and different opinions given, but the collection created a pretty coherent picture of what a good query feels like. I am not sure if there is a newer edition than mine, but of course, the 2004 edition does contain some information that is probably out of date, but very little.
Michele Cacano
Aug 16, 2012 Michele Cacano rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-writing
Each chapter presents an essay by or an interview with a literary agent, or editor or publisher. Much good advice is repeated throughout - all the better to sink into the reader's noggin! I feel much more confident in my attempts to query and pitch my work now. I marked several pages, and intend to continue to reference this book throughout my process, but am very glad to have read it. It is entertaining as well as informative, and each agent's voice is clear and helpful.
Angela Kidd Shinozaki
Jul 29, 2012 Angela Kidd Shinozaki rated it really liked it
I think this book offers great insight into crafting the perfect pitch through the eyes of well-known agents. You get a better sense of the agents out there, too. Some examples even piqued my interest in the books! (i.e. the history of falling). I do have one critique. I'm going to take a page from an agent for a moment and say-- I would love to see a book that simply lists 100 top pitches, especially for children's books.
Tony Bradshaw
Apr 16, 2015 Tony Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
What I really like about this book is that it's full of advice from agents. It gave me the perspective of what agents want to see in the book proposal.
For me personally, I know I must build my platform a LOT more before contacting another agent.
Another great perspective on this book was how to pitch non-fiction as well as fiction. Any author can glean great tips and the correct outlook on how to approach an agent through this book.
Victoria Pendragon
Aug 16, 2008 Victoria Pendragon is currently reading it
Excellent ideas. The idea of having so many views from so many different literary agents really makes an aspiring writer feel comforted. You can get, in a non-judgemental way, why your piece might not be the piece for just anyone and why it may strike the perfect match for you...if you learn how to place yourself.
L.B.
Jan 11, 2012 L.B. rated it really liked it
I write primarily YA fiction, so the too-much 'non-fiction' help and odd things like poetry were unhelpful. But the few times the agents mentioned fiction, that was extremely helpful and I got a lot of good tips from it. Well worth the non-fiction slog.
Jenni
Aug 09, 2007 Jenni rated it really liked it
Not just about "pitching" Great info by agents and editors regarding the industry and writing query letters that will wow.
Nora
Apr 27, 2012 Nora rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice for the aspiring writer. An agent recommended it to me and I've passed it on to friends.The variety of agents that contributed makes this a valuable tool.
Amanda Ronan
Jun 26, 2013 Amanda Ronan rated it it was ok
The basic advice was good, but since it was a collection of chapters from different agents the advice was scattered and somewhat conflicting.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Rhonda Browning White
Rhonda Browning White rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2009
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Richard Cytowic
May 14, 2013 Richard Cytowic rated it liked it
An older title, but full of useful advice. The mistakes novices make can be hilarious.
Angela Barton
Angela Barton rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
L.T. Vargus
L.T. Vargus rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Kristine Kohut
Kristine Kohut rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Manu Sharma
Manu Sharma rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Ruth Atkins
Ruth Atkins rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2016
Laurie
Aug 21, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide.
Sue Baumgardner
Sue Baumgardner rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014