Start by marking “Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women of Film Noir” as Want to Read:
Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women of Film Noir

Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women of Film Noir

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Film noir was the dark side of the movies' happily-ever-after mythology. Sinister and sexy, it forged a new icon: the tough, independent, take-no-guff dame. Determined, desirable, dangerous when cornered, she could handle trouble -- or deal out some of her own.If you thought these women were something special on screen -- wait until you meet the genuine articles. In Dark C ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Dark City Dames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark City Dames

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter BiskindPictures at a Revolution by Mark  HarrisHitchcock by François TruffautThe Great Movies by Roger EbertAdventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman
Books ABOUT Movies
49th out of 384 books — 135 voters
Falling Waters by Gary D. HenryMy Autobiography by Charles ChaplinClara Bow by David StennMe by Katharine HepburnThe Parade's Gone By... by Kevin Brownlow
Best of Old Hollywood
57th out of 243 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill Hutchinson
If you are a fan of the noir and "B" films of the late 1940s/early 50s, you will enjoy this book which highlights the careers of six women who were an essential part of the genre....the "dames and wicked women" of cinema. But they never reached actual stardom until a cult arose around them after their careers were over and only then were they were awarded the attention they deserved.

Jane Greer: She made several "A" level films but her most memorable performance was with Robert Mitchum in "Out of
Jon
As a voracious reader of showbiz biographies and autobiographies, I took an interest in this book because it featured the stories of six actresses who I knew precious little about (their fame being mostly for a film genre I am less versed in than many others.) I really was only familiar with Jane Greer and, to a lesser degree, Marie Windsor, the others really just being vaguely familiar names.

The concept of the book is interesting. Each lady gets a lengthy chapter about her early life and career
Ed
Wow. Enjoyed this tome over a cold, sleety weekend. If you like film noir, grab it. Six actresses of the classic noir flicks have their say. Author and cinema expert Eddie Muller writes their stories with authority and panache. These ladies give the unvarnished side of making their unforgettable pictures. Who can forget Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas, and Robert Mitchum starring in OUT OF THE PAST? I love that gritty gem. Recommended for noir & crime fiction fans.
ClassicMaiden
I began reading Dark City Dames – The wicked women of Film Noir by Eddie Muller yesterday and finished reading today. Being a huge collector and admirer of Film Noir I had planned to buy the book before reading it, But I had some difficulty getting a used copy of it since it is no longer available to buy as new, thus I ended up getting it from the Danish Film Institutes library instead.

Eddie really pays a much overdue tribute to the Noir dames; Marie Windsor, Audrey Totter, Ann Savage, Evelyn Ke
Court
I am so glad that I live in an age after women's lib movements. I definitely would NOT have wanted to work in that sexist of ... anything. Also, this book is very interesting with personal tales from those actresses about the men they worked with, and films they worked on. Women walked a fine line between equality with men, yet being completely under their thumb, and always, were lovely, dark and dangerous. Women rock. period.
Margaret
Eddie Muller, whom I freaked out one time by listing all these "queer" film noir themes, and asking him to speak on them, is the author of this great book.
He tracked down and interviewed some pretty famous dames - and interspersed the interviews with historical facts about their time as B-girls and studio favorites.

Really, it's one of the most touching odes to women I've ever read.

Judith
"Dark City Damess: The Wicked Women of Film Noir" profiled actresses Jane Greer, Evelyn Keyes, Ann Savage, Coleen Gray, Audrey Totter, and Marie Windsor. The only complaint I have is that each woman was deserving of a whole book. Any fan of the films made in the late 1940s will find this book a treat.
Mark Desrosiers
Sep 02, 2007 Mark Desrosiers rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amy
Shelves: cinerama
Fascinating arrangement: the first half gushes and gossips about the dames in their noir prime, and the second half revisits the same dames in their old age.
Aimee
Great old photos and stories of movie stars.
bryan
bryan marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Scholar
Scholar marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Jon Abrams
Jon Abrams marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
دارين
دارين marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Amia
Amia marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Amy Sternberg
Amy Sternberg marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Keisha
Keisha marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Francie Grice
Francie Grice marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Yvonne Tirado
Yvonne Tirado marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ladywilde
Ladywilde marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Dana Jennings
Dana Jennings marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
EDDIE MULLER is a second generation San Franciscan, product of a lousy public school education, a couple of crazy years in art school, and too much time in newspaper offices and sporting arenas. No college, but he's compensated by always hanging around smarter people, an effortless feat typically accomplished in bars.

Despite repeated warnings, he followed in his father's footsteps, earning a livin
More about Eddie Muller...
Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir The Art of Noir: The Posters and Graphics from the Classic Era of Film Noir The Distance: A Crime Novel Introducing Billy Nichols Grindhouse: The Forbidden History of "Adults Only" Cinema Shadow Boxer: A Billy Nichols Novel