Start by marking “Brian's Song” as Want to Read:
Brian's Song

Brian's Song

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Two men. Once names Gale Sayers, the other Brian Piccolo. They came from different parts of the country. They competed fiercely for the same job. One liked to talk; the other was shy. One was white; the other black. This is the story of how they came to know each other, fight each other, and help each other…
Published August 1st 1983 by Bantam (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Brian's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brian's Song

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Books that made you cry!
484th out of 2,248 books — 5,990 voters
Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine PatersonWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Saddest Books
179th out of 336 books — 617 voters

More lists with this book...

Cade Green
The book Brians Song is about two rookie running backs who are drafted on the the Chicago Bears together. Both of them fight for the starting job but Gale wins the job. Gale and Brian become best friends and when Gale gets hurt, Brian helps him back into shape. When Brian comes back next season, he challenges Gale for the starting job but fails. The coach soon realizes he has worked hard and rewards both of them starting jobs, Brian at fullback. Soon something terrible happens that will change t...more
Caro
This is my alltime favourite book - I have read through 2 copies (destroyed the first one by reading it so often) and every time I pick it up I have to read it in one sitting.
Makes me laugh and cry every time.
A great story (hated the movie, though).
Deion
This is one of the best football books ever made. Yes, it's not that long, but it is great. Billy Dee Williams and James Caan were just starting out their careers and TV movies were still fairly new. This is a story of two opposites, one who was shy and kept to himself and the other who was cocky and confident. There would eventually see past their differences and become the best of friends. I like the chemistry that Williams and Caan had in this book.

They made you belive they were Sayers and Pi...more
Nick
The book Brian Song is about two running backs, one white and one black, fighting for their jobs on the Chicago Bears that create a strong friendship. They go through joy and hardship, but in they are just great friends. This is a story for sports lovers and people that love inspirational stories.
My favorite character in the story Brains Song is Brian. He was so positive and he always had hope even when things got tough. He also made the book funny and exciting with his smart remarks. Brian: “...more
Jonathan Dykstal
Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo are both running backs for the Chicago Bears and great friends. When Gale gets the starting job and Brian doesn’t Brian tries to prove himself by pushing himself harder than he ever has. Then Gale gets injured so Brian gets the starting job but Brian’s devolved cancer and he…
My favorite character was Brian Piccolo because he came from not the best collage but he still made it. “Gale- when I was in high school I was one of the best backs in the state. But unfortunate...more
Nick Dahl
The book Brian’s Song is about two football players who play for the Chicago Bears. One Gale Sayers is black and the other, Brian Piccolo is white. They both play running back and quickly become friends. The book is about the good times they have as well as the illnesses, injuries, and competition that they face. The theme of the book is probably that friendship, happiness, and determination can conquer all.
My favorite character was Brian for several reasons. He is pretty funny and easy going a...more
Wesley
Brian’s Song is a true story about a brotherhood between two football players, Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. Their friendship grows as they face adversity and each other. They compete for the same running back position for the Chicago Bears. Will their friendship fight through the adversity they face? Read to find out.
People can be friends despite race. Race doesn’t decide friends it should be based on character. Brian and Gale find a way to get through that. Many people also don’t believe tha...more
Cooper

Brian’s Song is a true story about two people named Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. They are both competing for the same job of being running back for the Chicago Bears. They became best friends through competing and rooming together. Gale plays most of the time over Brian but are still friends. In one game Gale breaks his knee and Brian is there for him. Near the end of the book they both get spots on the field playing together. But that all changed when something happens to Brian.
My favorite...more
Abi
Brian’s song is a book about two very different people competing for the same job. Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo were competing for the running back of the Chicago Bears. Gale was shy but Brian was talkative. Gale was the starter and Brian was on the bench. Still, they both became friends and battled challenges together.
My favorite character was Brian Piccolo. Brian has a talkative and headstrong personality. “People are going to say that I got in on a pass, lucky break, and I won’t take it t...more
Asaf B.
Brian’s Song by William Bin is a very good and heartfelt book. It is a story about two young football players who both play running back named Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. Gale is black and Brian is white. The book shows their relationship throughout their years playing football which includes hardships along the way. The author, William Binn, has a very creative way of writing the story in a script form and also includes an intense and dramatic relationship between the main characters.

In Bri...more
Paxtonray
After reading this book I think the auther William Blinn, wanted you to realize the bond that Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo had. The fact that even though they were competing for the same position on the Chicago Bears football team, they had a great and unique friendship.

Both Sayers and Piccolo joined the bears the same year. They became roomates for all the away games and they were inseparable. I think the author wanted the reader to realize what a dedication both players had for football and...more
Patrick
p.19 Martin Bormann is not in Argentina.

There is an apt Hemingway quote to begin the procedings. The story which follows is a mix of respectful competitiveness and a growing friendship. The development of the friendship between Brian and Gayle is framed within the game of the football, but extends well beyond the field.
Shaya
I read this after loving the 2001 remake of Brian's Song. I wanted to learn more of the true story behind the movie and I realize I'd have been better off with Sayer's autobiography or Brian Piccolo's biography. Oh well.

It was enjoyable to be reminded of some of the good lines from the movie. There were some parts that were in the screenplay and not the remake and some parts in the remake were not in the screenplay.

The screenplay format was a little difficult because of the way the setting of e...more
Kathryn
This book was laying around the house because my daughter was reading it. I had seen the movie several years ago (to the point I forgot most of it) and decided to pick it up and read it. It can be read quickly. Good story--written as a screenplay, so kind of short and to the point. This was a Battle of the Books selection this year, which is one of the reasons my daughter was introduced to it. It does have some colorful language in it (like the "n" word) which surprised me--after all, isn't that...more
Paige
This is an amazing Novel that everyone should read.
Brian
Great book.
Evy
Written in screenplay format, William Blinn's "Brian's Song" gives you an amazing image inside your head of what this portrayal of friendship looks like. I watched the movie as well as read the book, but to be honest, I don't think that either of the two did the true story justice. This book was very moving towards the end, so if you're one that cries easily, break out the tissue boxes! It really wasn't my type of book, but it was good anyway - henceforth its rating.
Kylos
Jul 03, 2007 Kylos rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: what does it matter? who am i to recommend things?
i never liked sports. i still dont, really.
at age 12 i couldnt understand anything related to sports.
then i was forced to read this book and i discovered that people involved in sports were people too. they had feelings and thoughts and they cared for each other.
thanks mrs demouth!
i still dont like sports, though.
Marianne Jay
Brian Piccolo died the same year my dad did and from the same disease. Reading this book, was heartbreaking for me.

Many years later, I had the great privilege of meeting and talking to Gayle Sayers and the author's capture of his character is spot on.

A wonderful, wonderful book of friendship
Jeremy Stephens
I get the impression that this was originally meant only to be a tv movie and not as a printed play for people to read. i got this impression because everything in the story seemed so rushed. I did like this book a lot which is why I gave it 4 stars but I feel like it could have been better.
Teatum
I hear it's one it's the few films men will admit to crying at the end. Great read, loved the direction notes -- the stuff you don't get to see when you watch it on screen.
Devin
This is one of the best football stories written. It's a short read but it's wonderfully written. This is the kind of book that will stick with you and will be a repeat read.
Undoubtedly one of the best books I have ever read. I read it in high school and each time i reread it, it still strikes the same chord. It makes me cry every time.
Alexis
I'm not into sports at all really, but I was so glad my dad talked me into this book! I hope its not giving too much away by saying it's extremly sad, but worth it!
Katy Marie n
Quick but touching read. The screen okay format could be used for different analysis lessons for students- currently this is a part of a sixth grade HG program.
Bill Priest
Sep 07, 2007 Bill Priest rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7th Graders
I'm forced to continually read this story with my children. I hope they make a play about Kobe and Shaq which supplants this in the curriculum.
David
Feb 13, 2011 David added it
i love this book i think that it is one of the most inspirational book of all time. thank you William Blinn for writing this book.
Traci
This is the ultimate tear-jerker! I have seen the movie version almost every time it has been on for over 30 years and cry every time.
Kevin
I think I read this in 8th grade, when I hated reading. But I read it in one sitting and it made me cry. Yeah, go ahead and laugh at me.
Andy Brady
A moving story of courage, love, and fate. My first introduction to cruel and non discriminating disease of cancer
Week 23 Summarizer 2 3 Feb 04, 2014 02:03AM
  • The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
  • The Acorn People
  • North Dallas Forty
  • I Am Fifteen--and I Don't Want To Die
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
  • The Day Diana Died