The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?

The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Let the debate begin...

The Advanced Genius Theory, hatched by Jason Hartley and Britt Bergman over pizza, began as a means to explain why icons such as Lou Reed, David Bowie, and Sting seem to go from artistic brilliance in their early careers to "losing it" as they grow older. The Theory proposes that they don’t actually lose it, but rather, their work...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Scribner (first published April 28th 2010)

Casey
It wasn't until I read the Klosterman foreward that I remembered his Esquire column on Advanced Theory. The column was confusing so it's helpful having the theory explained here by one of the pizza-fueled creators (so I won't try and explain it myself). The book is a fun pop-culture read and zips through many notable musicians, filmmakers, actors, and artists of the later half of the 20th Century.

It seems like disagreeing with the (sometimes arbitrary) theory is part of the fun considering it is...more
Ray Charbonneau
A college bull session strung out to book length. It's, to use it's own terms, highly Overt. The thesis is sheer, 100% BS, but entertaining nonetheless. And the conclusion that we're better off looking for reasons to like, rather than reasons to dismiss, is good however you get to it.
John
This a fun book in which Hartley uses a few criteria to determine artistic geniuses, mostly in the world of music. The criteria: (1) You must have done great work for more than fifteen years. (2) You must have alienated your original fans. (3) You must be completely unironic. (4)You must be unpredictable. (5) You must "lose it". Spectacularly.

Hartley picks out Lou Reed and Bob Dylan as prime examples of advanced geniuses. It's amusing to see what other artists Harley chooses, and how he justifie...more
Sunil
Despite its claims otherwise, it's hard not to see this "theory" having a veneer of irony. Still, the bit about Foo Fighters being the "Mike & The Mechanics of grunge" made me lose it for a moment, to my fellow train-car passengers' late-night-commute irritation. For some reason the book strikes me as just a tad bit dated, even though it was only published in 2010; this is probably a personal thing, however, as I was reading a lot of Klosterman around the time The Advanced Genius Theory was...more
Ben
The author excludes women from his theory with the exception of two where on the bubble of being advanced. In all other places, women were either trivial supports for men or completely ignored in the following realms: stage, screen, writers, fine artists, & sports. The author uses the ignorance excuse for music (advancement might be just more of a male thing), but he fails to give any excuses for why women were not considered in the other realms. As such, his theory is flawed and incomplete.
Aaron
What if Brian Wilson's lost rap track, "Smart Girls," isn't awful, but just so brilliant beyond our grasp that we are below and cannot accept it? Jason Hartley's The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time? covers this and many other similar pop culture queries. While I absolutely do not agree with these sentiments, this was a really fun read.
Sean
This was a tremendously frustrating book, but by the end I was glad to have read it. Think of a bird pecking oats out of horse manure. The oats are bits of critical insight, some of them genuinely useful. The manure would be the Advanced Genius Theory, which posits that some artists are too brilliant to produce poor work. The idea that everything's good and it's just a matter of how much is liberating; the details of the Theory are dopey, arbitrary, and intrusive. The author's comment that he di...more
Josh
This was a fun book. I was engaged, aside from a few bits of incorrect info imparted (Clover backed up Elvis Costello on My Aim Is True and the Chicago Bears have never worn black uniforms). Still, the Advanced Theory is a fun concept to use in discussions with friends about, most often, musicians. There seems to be a cheekiness to it all that I really appreciate. And Hartley does cop to his own biases - Costello is most likely Advanced, but he can't say for certain due to his own "lukewarm reac...more
Scott
This book is a fun and interesting read, especially for those who are interested in pop culture...ok, it is geared ONLY toward those who like pop culture (and maybe those who kinda like philosophy). Hartley is a good writer and his voice is so appealing in this book that it feels like he is a good friend, one whose opinions count and can be trusted.

I do think that there's some value in this theory, one that essentially labels artists as either Overt or Advanced. I like that he presents an anti-e...more
Voracious
Fun. An ideal book for the bookcase in the loo, if I could bring myself to have one.

Remember the movie "High Fidelity"? Where John Cusack and Jack Black were forever naming top 5 lists? I'm sure they're "overt", in the language of this book, but the book itself feels a bit like that movie. A guy has come up with a theory that justifies his continuing to have faith in his heroes whose later work is...well, unappreciated, perhaps. He argues that Dylan, Lou Reed, etc have continued to be innovativ...more
Joe Long
If you're ready to look at the works of some of your favorite artists who you think have lost it with fresh eyes, and look at most art with fresh eyes, this is a really fun book. Jason does a great job outlining the theory that begins as laughable and ends as something that, at its very least, is a blast to discuss with like minded friends. I won't go into any more detail here, but ask me about it and I promise an entertaining discussion.

Phyllis
This is a very fun book. It is not to be taken seriously. First book in a long time that literally had me laughing out loud every several sentences.

I suspect there are lots of others who could enjoy this book a lot more than I was capable of. I don't know nearly as much as I perhaps should about musicians and bands, and certainly not movie directors/producers and athletes. So there are a lot of references that went right over my head. But I love books and music and movies and sporting events, an...more
April
Interesting and engaging. The lack of female subjects was disappointing as was the author's supposition that women cannot become Advanced. I wonder how long I will categorize things as Overt or Advanced.
Dad Hartley
This was one of the best written books I've seen in a very long time. The author has a very distinctive almost conversational tone to his writing. Controversial yes but isn't that what art is supposed to be? Anyone who loves music is going to take something away from reading it. Since finishing the book I have re-listened to some of my favorites artists that on first listen did not seem particularly interesting. I know now that was because I was expecting the same music I had enjoyed for years....more
Daniel Nelson
This book has an interesting topic and premise, however I found it difficult to fully embrace it's message as it seemed the author was really just trying to outsmart himself by presenting an intellectual topic.

I'd recommend this book more as one you pick up from time to time to read select pages or passages. I found reading it cover to cover to be more tedious, at least for my tastes and preferences in literature. I think it's best treated as a reference book that you can pick and choose what yo...more
Libby
I started to rate this book four stars just because I don't care for Lou Reed, and because I couldn't understand why Brian Eno was given attention while Bryan Ferry, who is clearly (or nearly) Advanced, wasn't. Then I realized I was being Overt. But part of the fun in Advanced Genius Theory is the potential for imagining debates about nominees. The creators of the Advanced Genius Theory have tapped into something important. And if I'm wrong and it's not important, it's still an entertaining and...more
Jonathan
What should be a humorous "theory," that extremely talented entertainers who show a marked decline in the quality of their output, or produce later output that alienates their earlier fans (Sting, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed) have actually become so talented that their output is too advanced for their "overt" fans, is taken way too seriously by the author. Even if the theory is true, who cares? No amount of "advancement" is going to get me to like Ten Summoner's Tales or Metal Machine Music.
Marcia
This is an interesting book. The author gives criteria for different types of genius, explains why some people would not be so classified, and gives many examples. The main weakeness is that most of the examples are musicians. Since music can be very subjective, the reader may not agree with many of the examples. It seems to me that the author decided on a few people who were geniuses and then decided on the criteria and more examples. It is a book that makes a person think.
Chelsea
I couldn't get through this book. The premise sounded really fun to me. I'm totally a pop-culture and media junkie, so books like this are usually right up my ally. I just couldn't get into it at all though. I didn't hate it while I was reading it, but I got bored after about 10 pages every time I sat down to read. Probably a great book for people with a vast bank of musical knowledge, but not for me. I would have preferred a magazine article on this topic instead.
Ralph
Jason's theory -- on which he spends the first 50 pages explaining -- is less fun than his actual clever critiques of pop-culture icons. In fact, the parts about Bob Dylan and Lou Reed, the primary inspirations for the theory, are less interesting than his opinions of the Beatles (Paul is the most "Advanced"), Prince, Elvis and a one sentence mention of the Foo Fighters ("the Mike and the Mechanics of grunge"). That's the good stuff.
Terri
Never gave much thought to why I like music/or dislike some music, but after reading The Advanced Genius Theory...I look at music, actors, etc. in a whole different light. The author encourages the reader to listen/watch in a different context. I find myself going back & giving some music, especially, a second chance and hey, some artists now do have something to offer that I did not see before. Energizing!
Camille
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Mr. Hartley's theory is an interesting and liberating way of viewing your favorite artists and their contributions. The advanced genius theory is so convincing that you'll find yourself testing it on each and every artist you know. This book is quite humorous and is a must-read for anyone who loves music or the arts. I highly recommend it.
Danny Volt
Well-developed expansion on the original Klosterman concept (which I thought was an inspired theme, but unfinished — and unlike a lot of similar Chuck Stuff, went nowhere all over the place).

"Advanced Genius" is a quick read, and can make someone interpret artistic legends in a unique way. But it's only one level beyond overrated/underrated, and not as fun.
Josh
I'd like to find the dude at Cafe Grumpy who recommended this to me and personally punch him in the arm. Medium hard.
Mark Sinnott
As someone who considers themselves a full-blown music snob, I was happy to see that there are people out there who think about these artists the way that I do. Even if I don't agree with all of the assessments presented in this book, I enjoyed looking at others' opinions of pop-culture.
Ben Carpenter

a good book for anyone tired of the hipster (overt) mentality that values the art you reject over the art you love. definitely worth the read for someone who's ever been disappointed by their favorite singer/director/artist.
Phil Simon
Interesting premise: these people move beyond us. Yet, I thought that the focus was a little concentrated on Dylan and Reed. I would like to have seen a few more instances. Great pop culture references.
Tony
Absolutely hilarious, and right up my alley in every way, not to mention truly insightful. Given me a whole new (brilliant) framework to view genius in. Fantastic discussion material. Highly recommended.
Elliot Chalom
Very good theory, fun read (if a little unorganized) ... check out my detailed thoughts over at http://2bitmonkey.wordpress.com/2012/...
Peter
I really enjoy the AGT even if I don't know the subject's material so well. My contribution to AGT, the Macho Man Randy Savage. He is definitely advanced.
  • Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
  • Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: A True Story of Faking It in Hair Metal L.A.
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution in Music
  • The Creative Brain: The Science of Genius
  • Here Comes Your Man
  • Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net's Impact on Our Minds and Future
  • No Wave: Post-Punk. Underground. New York. 1976-1980.
  • Butterfly Woman
  • Midnight in Never Land
  • In All Probability
  • Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences
  • Bozo Sapiens: Why to Err is Human
  • High Heels and Dirty Deals - Globetrotting Tales of Debauchery from a binge-drinking Nymphomaniac
  • Dreamwalker (Dreamwalker, #1)
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
  • The Ballad of Bob Dylan
  • Whispers: The Voices of Paranoia
Jason Hartley is a writer, musician, and online marketer based in Decatur, Georgia. Originally from Columbia, SC, Hartley's career has been as varied and unpredictable as some of the luminaries he writes about. His artistic and professional endeavors have taken him from the study of dance and choreography at the American Dance Festival, Dance Space Inc., and Movement Research, to professional cata...more
More about Jason Hartley...
Just Another Soldier: A Year on the Ground in Iraq Nga Mahi: The Things We Need to Do