Start by marking “The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?” as Want to Read:
The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?

The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  328 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Let the debate begin...

The Advanced Genius Theory, hatched by Jason Hartley and Britt Bergman over pizza, began as a means to explain why icons such as Lou Reed, David Bowie, and Sting seem to go from artistic brilliance in their early careers to "losing it" as they grow older. The Theory proposes that they don’t actually lose it, but rather, their work simply advances bey
Published May 18th 2010 by Scribner (first published April 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Advanced Genius Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advanced Genius Theory

Casey
Oct 13, 2010 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't until I read the Klosterman foreward that I remembered his Esquire column on Advanced Theory. The column was confusing so it's helpful having the theory explained here by one of the pizza-fueled creators (so I won't try and explain it myself). The book is a fun pop-culture read and zips through many notable musicians, filmmakers, actors, and artists of the later half of the 20th Century.

It seems like disagreeing with the (sometimes arbitrary) theory is part of the fun considering it is
Ray Charbonneau
A college bull session strung out to book length. It's, to use it's own terms, highly Overt. The thesis is sheer, 100% BS, but entertaining nonetheless. And the conclusion that we're better off looking for reasons to like, rather than reasons to dismiss, is good however you get to it.
John
Aug 22, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a fun book in which Hartley uses a few criteria to determine artistic geniuses, mostly in the world of music. The criteria: (1) You must have done great work for more than fifteen years. (2) You must have alienated your original fans. (3) You must be completely unironic. (4)You must be unpredictable. (5) You must "lose it". Spectacularly.

Hartley picks out Lou Reed and Bob Dylan as prime examples of advanced geniuses. It's amusing to see what other artists Harley chooses, and how he justifie
Sunil
Mar 07, 2014 Sunil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite its claims otherwise, it's hard not to see this "theory" having a veneer of irony. Still, the bit about Foo Fighters being the "Mike & The Mechanics of grunge" made me lose it for a moment, to my fellow train-car passengers' late-night-commute irritation. For some reason the book strikes me as just a tad bit dated, even though it was only published in 2010; this is probably a personal thing, however, as I was reading a lot of Klosterman around the time The Advanced Genius Theory was ...more
Ben
Mar 12, 2011 Ben rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2011
The author excludes women from his theory with the exception of two where on the bubble of being advanced. In all other places, women were either trivial supports for men or completely ignored in the following realms: stage, screen, writers, fine artists, & sports. The author uses the ignorance excuse for music (advancement might be just more of a male thing), but he fails to give any excuses for why women were not considered in the other realms. As such, his theory is flawed and incomplete.
Aaron
Dec 30, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if Brian Wilson's lost rap track, "Smart Girls," isn't awful, but just so brilliant beyond our grasp that we are below and cannot accept it? Jason Hartley's The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time? covers this and many other similar pop culture queries. While I absolutely do not agree with these sentiments, this was a really fun read.
Sean
Apr 13, 2014 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a tremendously frustrating book, but by the end I was glad to have read it. Think of a bird pecking oats out of horse manure. The oats are bits of critical insight, some of them genuinely useful. The manure would be the Advanced Genius Theory, which posits that some artists are too brilliant to produce poor work. The idea that everything's good and it's just a matter of how much is liberating; the details of the Theory are dopey, arbitrary, and intrusive. The author's comment that he di ...more
Lindsey
This was a tough book to read as I was very interested in a theory that purported to examine why geniuses often do things which are confusing to the public at large. Unfortunately, it's one long opinion on who the most Advanced (author's capitalization) artists of recent generations are, mostly focusing on rock and roll musicians. Hartley is dismissive of critics (though he is one) and his criteria for Advancement, muddily explained early, often fails as his actual criteria for Advancing someone ...more
Scott
This book is a fun and interesting read, especially for those who are interested in pop culture...ok, it is geared ONLY toward those who like pop culture (and maybe those who kinda like philosophy). Hartley is a good writer and his voice is so appealing in this book that it feels like he is a good friend, one whose opinions count and can be trusted.

I do think that there's some value in this theory, one that essentially labels artists as either Overt or Advanced. I like that he presents an anti-e
Josh
Dec 21, 2015 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. I was engaged, aside from a few bits of incorrect info imparted (Clover backed up Elvis Costello on My Aim Is True and the Chicago Bears have never worn black uniforms). Still, the Advanced Theory is a fun concept to use in discussions with friends about, most often, musicians. There seems to be a cheekiness to it all that I really appreciate. And Hartley does cop to his own biases - Costello is most likely Advanced, but he can't say for certain due to his own "lukewarm reac ...more
Voracious
Fun. An ideal book for the bookcase in the loo, if I could bring myself to have one.

Remember the movie "High Fidelity"? Where John Cusack and Jack Black were forever naming top 5 lists? I'm sure they're "overt", in the language of this book, but the book itself feels a bit like that movie. A guy has come up with a theory that justifies his continuing to have faith in his heroes whose later work is...well, unappreciated, perhaps. He argues that Dylan, Lou Reed, etc have continued to be innovativ
Jonathan
What should be a humorous "theory," that extremely talented entertainers who show a marked decline in the quality of their output, or produce later output that alienates their earlier fans (Sting, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed) have actually become so talented that their output is too advanced for their "overt" fans, is taken way too seriously by the author. Even if the theory is true, who cares? No amount of "advancement" is going to get me to like Ten Summoner's Tales or Metal Machine Music.
Dustin Sullivan
"...those of us who believe in Advancement don't unquestioningly embrace our idols, they have to earn our respect first. And once that is earned, we don't just abandon the relationship when they do something we don't understand, we try to understand it."

The theory is that when an artistic genius alienates their fan-base and is considered "past their prime," the truth may be that they are actually ahead of their time and still producing quality work. The two strongest cases given for this theory
Joe Long
Mar 04, 2014 Joe Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're ready to look at the works of some of your favorite artists who you think have lost it with fresh eyes, and look at most art with fresh eyes, this is a really fun book. Jason does a great job outlining the theory that begins as laughable and ends as something that, at its very least, is a blast to discuss with like minded friends. I won't go into any more detail here, but ask me about it and I promise an entertaining discussion.

Phyllis
Jul 11, 2011 Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very fun book. It is not to be taken seriously. First book in a long time that literally had me laughing out loud every several sentences.

I suspect there are lots of others who could enjoy this book a lot more than I was capable of. I don't know nearly as much as I perhaps should about musicians and bands, and certainly not movie directors/producers and athletes. So there are a lot of references that went right over my head. But I love books and music and movies and sporting events, an
April
Apr 11, 2014 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and engaging. The lack of female subjects was disappointing as was the author's supposition that women cannot become Advanced. I wonder how long I will categorize things as Overt or Advanced.
Dad Hartley
Sep 20, 2010 Dad Hartley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best written books I've seen in a very long time. The author has a very distinctive almost conversational tone to his writing. Controversial yes but isn't that what art is supposed to be? Anyone who loves music is going to take something away from reading it. Since finishing the book I have re-listened to some of my favorites artists that on first listen did not seem particularly interesting. I know now that was because I was expecting the same music I had enjoyed for years. ...more
Daniel Nelson
Sep 16, 2010 Daniel Nelson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
This book has an interesting topic and premise, however I found it difficult to fully embrace it's message as it seemed the author was really just trying to outsmart himself by presenting an intellectual topic.

I'd recommend this book more as one you pick up from time to time to read select pages or passages. I found reading it cover to cover to be more tedious, at least for my tastes and preferences in literature. I think it's best treated as a reference book that you can pick and choose what yo
Maddy
only liking white dudes is overt
Libby
Mar 08, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started to rate this book four stars just because I don't care for Lou Reed, and because I couldn't understand why Brian Eno was given attention while Bryan Ferry, who is clearly (or nearly) Advanced, wasn't. Then I realized I was being Overt. But part of the fun in Advanced Genius Theory is the potential for imagining debates about nominees. The creators of the Advanced Genius Theory have tapped into something important. And if I'm wrong and it's not important, it's still an entertaining and ...more
Gregory Dilcox
Sep 01, 2014 Gregory Dilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read that has left me thinking differently about art and artist, especially what is and isn't good. If you like amusing pop culture theories give the book a try.
Fi
Jun 24, 2016 Fi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social
Hilarious. Absolutely LOVE Chapter 19
Marcia
Sep 27, 2010 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is an interesting book. The author gives criteria for different types of genius, explains why some people would not be so classified, and gives many examples. The main weakeness is that most of the examples are musicians. Since music can be very subjective, the reader may not agree with many of the examples. It seems to me that the author decided on a few people who were geniuses and then decided on the criteria and more examples. It is a book that makes a person think.
Chelsea
May 09, 2011 Chelsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I couldn't get through this book. The premise sounded really fun to me. I'm totally a pop-culture and media junkie, so books like this are usually right up my ally. I just couldn't get into it at all though. I didn't hate it while I was reading it, but I got bored after about 10 pages every time I sat down to read. Probably a great book for people with a vast bank of musical knowledge, but not for me. I would have preferred a magazine article on this topic instead.
Ralph
Jun 01, 2011 Ralph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason's theory -- on which he spends the first 50 pages explaining -- is less fun than his actual clever critiques of pop-culture icons. In fact, the parts about Bob Dylan and Lou Reed, the primary inspirations for the theory, are less interesting than his opinions of the Beatles (Paul is the most "Advanced"), Prince, Elvis and a one sentence mention of the Foo Fighters ("the Mike and the Mechanics of grunge"). That's the good stuff.
Terri
Sep 21, 2010 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never gave much thought to why I like music/or dislike some music, but after reading The Advanced Genius Theory...I look at music, actors, etc. in a whole different light. The author encourages the reader to listen/watch in a different context. I find myself going back & giving some music, especially, a second chance and hey, some artists now do have something to offer that I did not see before. Energizing!
Camille
Jan 17, 2011 Camille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Mr. Hartley's theory is an interesting and liberating way of viewing your favorite artists and their contributions. The advanced genius theory is so convincing that you'll find yourself testing it on each and every artist you know. This book is quite humorous and is a must-read for anyone who loves music or the arts. I highly recommend it.
Danny Volt
Well-developed expansion on the original Klosterman concept (which I thought was an inspired theme, but unfinished — and unlike a lot of similar Chuck Stuff, went nowhere all over the place).

"Advanced Genius" is a quick read, and can make someone interpret artistic legends in a unique way. But it's only one level beyond overrated/underrated, and not as fun.
Josh
Jan 09, 2014 Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to find the dude at Cafe Grumpy who recommended this to me and personally punch him in the arm. Medium hard.
Mark Sinnott
As someone who considers themselves a full-blown music snob, I was happy to see that there are people out there who think about these artists the way that I do. Even if I don't agree with all of the assessments presented in this book, I enjoyed looking at others' opinions of pop-culture.
  • Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics
  • Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
  • The Girl in the Song: The Stories Behind 50 Rock Classics
  • Curious Minds: How a Child Becomes a Scientist
  • Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll: The Science of Hedonism and the Hedonism of Science
  • The Creative Brain: The Science of Genius
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • The Impulse Factor: Why Some of Us Play It Safe and Others Risk It All
  • Here Comes Your Man
  • The Peanuts Collection: Treasures from the World's Most Beloved Comic Strip
  • Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places
  • Bozo Sapiens: Why to Err is Human
  • Advances in Behavioral Economics
  • Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: A True Story of Faking It in Hair Metal L.A.
  • The New Cool: A Visionary Teacher, His FIRST Robotics Team, and the Ultimate Battle of Smarts
  • The Good Among the Great: 19 Traits of the Most Admirable, Creative, and Joyous People
  • Parental Advisory: Music Censorship in America
  • Letters From the Emily Dickinson Room
Jason Hartley is a writer, musician, and online marketer based in Decatur, Georgia. Originally from Columbia, SC, Hartley's career has been as varied and unpredictable as some of the luminaries he writes about. His artistic and professional endeavors have taken him from the study of dance and choreography at the American Dance Festival, Dance Space Inc., and Movement Research, to professional cata ...more
More about Jason Hartley...

“there's so much out there to hate, why would you go out of your way to hate something you love?” 0 likes