Start by marking “Angelfire (Magic Time #2)” as Want to Read:
Angelfire (Magic Time #2)

Angelfire (Magic Time #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  209 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This first collaboration between talented writers Marc Scott Zicree and Barbara Hambly is the beginning of an innovative fantasy series. An enthralling and entertaining read, Magic Time mixes supernatural forces and elements of classic epic-quest fantasy with modern technology and contemporary themes in a fascinating "What if?" scenario that presents a world where science ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Angelfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angelfire

Maya Bohnhoff
Nov 01, 2008 Maya Bohnhoff rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who loves post apocalyptic fiction
Shelves: written-by-me
Marc Zicree inserted a note on the flyleaf that informs the reader that he did not write this book.

He didn't. He DID create the world in which it's set, but the story is mine.

The rating is from Amazon.com, and the review below is from Booklist:

In the wake of a devastating accident, the face of America has changed. The land is warped and twisted, and previously normal humans now exhibit strange, magical talents. The forces unleashed by the accident cause people to manifest their greatest potenti
Natalie
This was better, and cleaner language than the first. She nearly exclusively wrote it, Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff, though not credited here, and it is quite different from the other two. She uses first person point of view, but keeps skipping it among the key four; whereas the other two books have scenes and characters away from these four and an omniscient perspective. I liked her style.
Thom Watson
I loved the first book in this series; it was fresh, different and well-paced. This second, though, left me completely underwhelmed. It did little to advance the overall plot and cheapened the series to the point that it feels less epic and more episodic, like bad television. From the ginormous logical hole as to why any of episode 2 was even happening in the first place, to some dramatic yet almost glossed over changes to character dynamics and relationships among the major characters, the stor ...more
Athena
Dec 23, 2014 Athena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Skip this book, to say it's badly written is nearly too much praise. Marc Scott Zicree goes to some pains to point to Bohnhoff as sole author in the intro; after reading this steaming heap of words I'm now certain he did so to evade blame for the wreckage.

I started the series with Magic Time #1 , co-authored by the inimitable Barbara Hambly, and was looking forward to reading Angelfire knowing it would have a different voice and flavor with the change in authors. Had I known that different eq
Mary
So I just finished reading this book for the second time, and I have to say I really really like it. I have two problems however, 1) The Name: Stupid. 2)The Cover:Cheezey. I would call this book The Source: Angelfire. Let me explain. In this world there has been an apocalyptic event that changed everything, physics, science, reality, people. People come in two groups twists, and normals. The normals are just that, normal, but the tweaks have been altered in some way by the Source (what caused th ...more
Luis Odicio
Apr 08, 2008 Luis Odicio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Magic Time: Angelfire" introduced me to Cal, Colleen, Doc and Goldie which were the main characters in a previous book by Marc Scott Zicree. When i picked up Angelfire I didn't know it was sort of a sequel.

I thought it was probably one of those books that that spawn from a previous popular series. The book cover is what caught my eye and got me to pick up the book, as strange as that may sound.

Now I will be picking up the first book to fill in some of the missing pieces of the beginning of the
Linda
Apr 26, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this year's ago in audio. It is the second of a series called Magic Times. There has been an apocalyptic event. Cal's sister was somehow changed. In this second book of the trilogy, Cal and friends are searching for his sister and the evil responsible for the change.
Clarice
Nov 21, 2008 Clarice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-the-library
The more I read these books the more I enjoy them. In a lot of ways, I can totally see the potential for a television series out of them. Each book would be a full season with stories and ideas along the way. I can see so much in them and so far they are really enjoyable. I kind of felt like the first book was a tad cheesy and there were a couple geographical issues with New York that bothered me... but otherwise it could've been worse. Now in this book, it seems to have smoothed out the cheese ...more
Liv
Jun 09, 2011 Liv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book series years ago, but had to take a break in the middle of Magic Time: Angelfire due to real life. Now I've finally found my way back to this book series again, and I don't regret it.

Relaxing outside in the sun, while getting lost in the adventures of (pre-Change lawyer) Cal and his motley crew of (pre-Change homeless man) lunatic Goldie, tough-as-nails Colleen, and Russian (pre-Change doctor-turned-hot-dog-vendor) Doc Lysenko on a quest to find the source behind the
Dominique
Mar 04, 2011 Dominique rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The world as we know has changed, technology no longer works and magic is the norm. This "Change" has also effected people as well. Some people have become what are called "flares". The sister of Cal has become one of these flares and has disappeared, so now Cal, with the help of a group of friends, is looking for his sister and the source of the Change.

This book is written in first person, with every chapter told from the point of view of one of the four main characters (Cal, Colleen, Goldie, a
Debra Howell
May 28, 2015 Debra Howell rated it it was amazing
WOW!

I found an old copy of the first book Magic Time while on vacation and from the start I was hooked. I don't read fantasy but this series is great! You're got to read them.
Ruby Ridge
Feb 13, 2015 Ruby Ridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Hambly was a hard act to follow and this book did not match her characterization but saying that the action in the latter half kept the pages turning. I will be reading #3
Lori
Feb 20, 2012 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world sans electricity and more simple things once taken for granted, new beings who were once human now embody their greatest desires, both for good and ill. In this remade world, follow a group of survivors as they continue the search for answers into why and how their world was remade and if there is any way to undo the damage.
Ingrid Morris
I read this out of order ( am currently reading #1) I prefer this book over the others. This "Pied Piper" type story. Engrossing and not predictable... However,true of both books, these writers seem to be exercising a vulgarity muscle they can't use in their jobs writing for TV.
Danielle
Uh I started this trilogy in the middle cause I didn't know it was a trilogy, so I was a little lost a first. Despite that I found this sci-fi fantasy really cool.
April Kimmel
Written in first person of the various main characters, switches around. First book was better than this one, but it was still pretty good.
Brandon
not quite as good as the first book, does an okay job of advancing the story.
John Sherman
Nov 04, 2012 John Sherman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stagnant plot with flat character development.
Tric
Jan 26, 2009 Tric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of my favourite series, ever.
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
good fantasy post-apocalyptic book.
Danie
Danie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
D Gray
D Gray rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Jesseca Seals
Jesseca Seals marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Amy Alcain
Amy Alcain rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
  • Judgment Night (Bureau 13, #1)
  • The Meq
  • Remembering Wholeness: A Personal Handbook for Thriving in the 21st Century
  • Alabaster
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)
  • Sisters of the Raven (Sisters of the Raven, #1)
  • Hasan
  • Scardown (Jenny Casey, #2)
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • Greenhouse Summer
  • Midnight Enchantment (Midnight, #4)
  • Wizard Under Fire (The Dresden Files, #8-9)
  • Judgment Day
  • The Perfect Seduction (Conqueror, #3)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Thunder of Time
  • Tongue Tied!
  • Haunted (Angel: Season 2, #1)

Magic Time (3 books)
  • Magic Time (Magic Time #1)
  • Ghostlands (Magic Time #3)