Curious George Visits the Library (Read-Aloud)

Curious George Visits the Library (Curious George New Adventures)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  8,244 ratings  ·  47 reviews
George is lucky to arrive at the library just in time for story hour. But it's not easy for a little monkey to sit still too long. From selecting books to getting his very own library card, George's day at the library makes reading fun.
Published August 25th 2003 by Houghton Mifflin (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Visits the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Visits the Library

Skylar Burris
It reminds me of trips to the library with my little monkey...although my daughter wondered what those old fashioned due date "stamp" things were...
Mike
It was ok. I liked it better when he went to the intensive care unit. But it's okay, for a sequel.
Debbie Reiber

Curious George Visits the Library by Margaret and H.A. Rey is a picture book. The age group this book is intended for is nursery to primary. The book describes an impatient and curious monkey, who just wants to hear a book about dinosaurs, at story time. Once he’s waited long enough, he take the dinosaur book and browses the library for more books.
I liked this book, but I chose to borrow it from the library as an ebook. I don’t have a kindle or nook, so I downloaded a program to my PC. The writi...more
kaitlyn
The kindergartners and first graders enjoyed this story, even if I didn't appreciate that George faces no consequences. The Man and the librarian never explain to him how he should have acted differently. One class pointed out how he shouldn't have taken the book or ridden the cart down the ramp, but the other classes didn't, and I think those things should have been discussed in the book.
Heather
Topic: Picture storybooks
Theme: curiosity, library, books,
My thoughts: After checking this book out so many times and the library for my son who is a huge Curious George fan we finally bought our own copy. I highly recommend this book about a monkey who gets in trouble, but with the help of his friends they work together to clean up the mess.

Activity: Plan a trip to the local library where the students can get their very own “real” library card. A library card can help a child gain a better unde...more
Nathaniel
On the back cover, there's a maze (Help George find his way to the librarian or something like that). I showed this to my 3-year-old daughter, and it started a one-week whirlwind love affair with mazes.
Karen
"This is George. He is a good little monkey and always very curious." I love it when books that are in a children's series all start the same. I helps students with predictability. The rest of the story is pretty predictable also if you have read any other curious George books. I don't think any other animal goes on more adventures than curious George. This time, George goes to the library. He notices all of the people looking at book and reading. Then he finds children's story hour. At first, G...more
Jennifer Rayment
Mom's Review: Obviously you know why I picked this one out for Jake when he was little. I read it to him at least once a week and he enjoyed it -- as well as the rest of the Curious George stories. It seemed to work as he really enjoyed going to the library -- so far hasn't worked for Jesse, he still doesn't like the library. It's a cute little story, but a wee bit dated. As well the patrons of the library and the library staff are a little too stereotypical for this modern library worker. One o...more
Darsi
Curious George Visits the Library is a picture book written by Margret Rey and illustrated in the style of H.A. Rey by Martha Weston. In this book, everyone's favourite mischievous monkey goes on an adventure to the library for story hour. But patience is hard for such an energetic creature, and in the wait for the librarian to get around to reading the book he wants, George decides to take the book so that his friend, the man in the yellow hat, can read it to him. Adventure ensues as George t...more
Bunnyjadwiga
Despite the terrible overtones of the original Curious George books, George himself is a loveable character, and when you combine him with books and libraries, what's not to love? Admittedly we see no computers or other modern library features in this book, the idea of storytime and the appeal of picking out books-- plus the mostly-harmless trouble that George's curiousity gets him into-- shines through.
Kay
What kind of monkey knows how to check out books from a library and read them?! This book gets a 1/10 for me...just because Curious George is cute.

9/10 from my three year old who seems to have enjoyed this book.
Sharon
I read this title as part of a Rey compilation and enjoyed re-reading it as a highlighted title from DPL to introduce libraries to children. George is such a role model to have is own library card! If only our branch allowed cart rides - ha!
Patricia
Alexandria
Apr 30, 2012 Alexandria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Samantha and Patricia
Recommended to Alexandria by: Myself
Danielle Baker
Review:

George is always getting into some kind of mischief. This story covers what to expect in the library. I would definitely read this story to prepare children for a field trip to the library. This is a great story to introduce what a library is and how to behave in the library. Discuss why we have to be so quiet int he library. Also this story lets children know that there is more to a library then just checking out books, there is also story time.

Learning Experience:

I would take the child...more
Rosa Cline
Curious George gets to go to the libarary for the first time. He sits in on story time but looses patience when she's not reading the book he wants to listen to which then he gets into stuff making a mess in the library but as all his books he helps make things right in the end. With help of the other kids and volunteers he cleans his mess up and gets to get a library card of his own. A great way of introducing a community library to your youngsters. Showing them what they should and shouldn't d...more
Heather Dunbar
Curious George is a classic, kids love animals and making mischief so he’s usually a good attention grabber. The only thing I don’t really like about this book is the almost sudden ending. He takes a book, a cart, more books, causes mayhem, and then BOOM it’s over. Another thing I don’t really like about Curious George is he never really apologizes for all of the things he does wrong. I realize he is a monkey, but they could have added something like he squawked apologetically or something. Othe...more
Sally Staples
Curious George books were my favorite books when I was a little girl. I would go to the library and always check them out. This one is about George going to the library with his friend in the yellow hat. George is waiting patiently during story hour for the librarian to read a book about a dinosaur, but George can't wait any longer and takes the book. George finds himself in a mess in the library and needs help cleaning it up. He ends up taking home the dinosaur book and the man in the yellow ha...more
Shonna Froebel
This is the usual sort of Curious George story where he gets into trouble without trying to, in this case at the library. The Man in the Big Yellow Hat leaves him at the storytime and looks for books for himself, but the monkey gets bored and starts looking for books that appeal to him, borrows a book cart and ends up crashing it. All his new friends from the storytime chip in to help tidy things up and get books too, and George gets a library card and gets to take books he likes home to enjoy.
Heather Matthews
H.A. Rey's works are always legendary, and Curious George is infamous. What I found most interesting about this work, is how it captures history in a very unintentional way. The children loved the story, but they also loved finding out how we used to go about our book lending without fancy computers, scanners, and kindles. It's very interesting on that level. Curious George Visits the Library is a classic that should be preserved just like our Libraries.
Kelsey Scherer
This book is a great one for students to make a text-to-self- connection. It shares about George's adventure to the library for story time and to obtain a library card so he can check out some fun and interesting books. Although it is hard for him to sit still during the story time, the library adventure ends well and George realizes just how fun reading can be. Perfect book to read to students when introducing the library to them.
Rebekah Sprecher
Since I work at the library, this was an obvious choice for a bedtime book. And judging by my experience, it is a pretty accurate portrayal of a library visit, except that no one asked for a parent's ID for George to get his card, George was left at storytime to be babysat (a big no-no), and there were no consequences for his little library destruction caper. All in all, though, this is a satisfying and entertaining book.
Lesley
Cute! Part of this story hit home with me! When I'm on a children's book kick (like now!), I go through the children's section picking an armload of books off the shelves too. Hmmm, my very own booktruck at the public library? I'll have to look into that! :D
Elizabeth
This one is great for toddlers who regularly visit the library. It has a lot of familiar things to point out, like the pictures on the books, how hard it is to sit still during story time, and checking out the library books from the librarian.
Tam
My boys (ages 5 & 9) love Curious George so of course, they loved his trip to the library (though I had to do a bit of explaining since everything is now done with computers and the books are no longer stamped by a librarian).
Vicki
My favorite little monkey takes a trip to the library and participates in story hour. As we all know it is hard for little monkeys to stay out of trouble. A great book about reading and the library.
Yates Marie
This book is really good to read to your students before they go to the library. They will learn about the way things work at the library. It is a really cute book and many of your students can relate to it.
Sarah Kiesche
Aaaaaah good ole Curious George! Loved this one about his zany antics at the library! George picks out too many books and causes trouble when he tries to find a solution to carrying them all.
Megan
One of my favorite George books. Doesn't have the ridiculous plot of him doing something wrong then doing something right that is totally unrelated and that gets him out of trouble.
Lauren
This book is great for children especially when they learn to start reading. It teaches great morals and ideals for everyone to have and great general life lessons.
  • Curious George Takes a Job
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School
  • Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Pinocchio (a Little Golden Book: Classic)
  • Calling Doctor Amelia Bedelia
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar...more
More about Margret Rey...
The Complete Adventures of Curious George Curious George Goes to the Hospital Curious George Visits the Zoo Curious George Flies a Kite Curious George Makes Pancakes