Start by marking “Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #1)

Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,360 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
...exciting, highly paid position for person with specialized training...

Recently unemployed after quitting a boring office job, Alexis Stanton finds a mysterious ad in the help wanted section that might prove to be the answer to her desire for excitement and adventure.

After an intense application process, including actually fighting with her competition, she gets the job
Published August 1st 2004 by NewPub Binding

To ask other readers questions about Color Me Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color Me Grey

Tara Chevrestt
Jan 21, 2011 Tara Chevrestt rated it liked it
Very cool heroine.. a lady James Bond. Great story idea and basis for a series and I enjoyed it mostly. However, the writing is just a bit too simple... I loathe unneccessary descriptions, but there has to be some.. Instead the writing was like this:

"I woke up on the couch the next morning and readied myself for another day at the gym. Once there, I finished off the rest of the crew waiting to get in their shots and then Mr. Black and I worked out together the rest of the day."

One entire day sum
Al
Mar 27, 2011 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
I started reading "Color Me Grey" late one night as I was supposed to be falling asleep. This was a mistake. I liked the character of Alexis immediately. Despite her unconventional and privileged upbringing (which could easily have had the opposite effect) she had an attitude and style I loved. She has a passion to experience life that most of us lack. She is always thirsting for knowledge, a quality very few people have. One thing that really stuck with me, since it hit close to home, was when ...more
Cheryl Anne Gardner
Oh my! Alexis Stanton. Only a privileged angsty twenty-something would brag about living off mommy and daddy, quit her job, and go apply for another one without a clue as to what the company does or what the job entails, but that's the sort of story you are in for when you pick up Color Me Grey, a Bondesque coming of age story.

The Alex Stanton chronicles are slated to be a series of books, so in this, the first one, we get a lot of expository background info straight away so we can get to know
So, I Read This Book Today
Review originally published at Amazon.com

Wow. Some of you “reviewers” are really incredibly snotty, aren't you? OK, there are some spelling errors. Take a grammar pill, people! Much like Alex says, “Reading is a habit of mine, not a hobby, but a habit. It seems I just can't get enough. I will read anything.” Alex is up to doing anything too – anything from rappelling down a hill to swimming several miles in clothing and boots. You GO, Alexis!!!

Yes, Alexis comes from a privileged and yet unconven
Misty Baker
Jul 25, 2010 Misty Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been “that girl.” You know… the one that when she gets bored wants to jump off of, or out of something. The need for adrenaline has been rushing through my blood since I was a child and even though, with age, I have had to tone down my actions (for the sake of my small children) I still feel this constant need to challenge myself, prove that I can do anything, and more importantly… do it better than a man.

Alexis, the tuff as nails, lead in “Color Me Grey” is also an adrenaline junk
Maria
Sep 16, 2010 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.C. Phelps’ Color Me Grey is the first of a three-book series about Alexis Stanton, a spoiled rich girl who decides to trade in her easy life as a data processor living off Mom & Dad for one of action and adventure, by embarking on a new career with a mysterious company where everyone is code-named a color–Mr. Black, Mr. White, Mr. Red. Alexis, code-named Ms. Grey, is the first woman to join this team of highly trained professionals and quickly shows up the men with her skill, daring, and n ...more
Melissa
Dec 11, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is told entirely from Alexis's POV. And I have to admit at first it actually buffered me from the character of Alex. As she interacted with her friend (namely Colin) and started her adventure with a new possible job, the buffer disappeared. That's when I really got into the character of Alex. I then was able to enjoy the kick-ass stance of a 5'4" woman who is as tough as the boys and sometimes even better. She has a lot to learn, but shows that she is up to the task no matter what is t ...more
Colleen
May 29, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am basing my review solely on story-line. While the e-book (not sure how the paperback fared) could definitely use some more editing in parts of the novel, that did not at all take away from my thorough enjoyment of the book. I absolutely loved what Phelps did here.

In the first of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles, we meet a well-to-do twenty-something that has everything she needs or could ever want. Bored by her data processing job, she up and quits and walks into an interview where she has no
S. Burke
Author J C Phelphs has created a marvelously fast-paced adventure with the petite MC Alexis Stanton a package of 5'4" dynamite, with long straight hair and a serious attitude if you cross her.

Alexis has a very interesting background including special services training{Private yet}. A wealthy and connected family, with an Admiral for a daddy. Alexis has to draw her own conclusions on just what it is daddy does for the government. Her inherited sense of adventure send her on an interview for a mos
Julie
Oct 22, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for so long and I finally got around to reading it at the author's request. What a great read!

I loved the character of Alexis (Alex). She is a strong, somewhat independent (she does live off an allowance from her parents after all) character that doesn't give up even when the going gets tough. She is able to keep up with the big boys with no problem. Even when she is in pain and hurting, she refuses to show any weakness.

I wasn't sure if I would like a girl spy story, but i
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
Cliff Ball
Oct 23, 2010 Cliff Ball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Color Me Grey is told from first person point of view, and I think it was done well, and usually the only time I read books like this is in college English lit. classes(the female character in 1st person point of view). Alexis Stanton becomes a secret agent of sorts, with the nickname of Ms. Grey. She tells how she gets recruited, then her training, and then a crucial mission that she participates in that has a lot of personal meaning for her. I thought it was a very creative novel.
Vera Maslow
Jul 05, 2014 Vera Maslow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexis Stanton Series Book #1

I got this as a kindle freebie. One of the really good ones!
I liked the characters and the concept. There wasn't too much dialogue, it was more description of what's around and what's going through character's heads. It was a fun, fast read. I would definitely read more of this series and see how the relationships pan out and where this story goes.
Dawn Judd
Jun 15, 2010 Dawn Judd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting story of a girl looking for adventure. When she applies for a mysterious job, she gets a little more adventure than she bargained for. I found this story exciting from beginning to end. The attention to detail was refreshing; not too wordy. I enjoyed tagging along on Alex's adventures and look forward to continuing them in Shades of Grey.
B.L. Newport
Aug 25, 2010 B.L. Newport rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a winning bid on freado/book buzzer. The synopsis intrigued me because as a little girl, I never wanted to be a princess -- I wanted to be an assassin and this story pretty much described some of the adventures I imagined. I look forward to reading the 2nd & 3rd books of the series. Thank you, J.C. Phelps. You have a new fan.
Heather
This was a quick, fast and fun read...
Patricia Mccammon
Jun 23, 2017 Patricia Mccammon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this as a free book. First time for this author. Really great story line. Bored and wanting something else to do, she applies for a new job; and gets to use all of the training her Dad had her do in growing up. She also finds out she really didn't know what her Dad did in his work. Great start for the series.
Millie
Jul 08, 2017 Millie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't impressed, the characters are all called by a color and it became almost annoying at times. This book came to me as a recommendation because of the humor action story well the action was there but I don't know what happened to the humor.
Andrew Brown
I got this book for free via Amazon and decided to give it a shot. But as the story went on it became increasingly dull and ultimately anti-climactic.

For a spy/thriller there was quite simply no tension. There was never a sense of suspense and it never presented much conflict beyond the protagonist's infatuation with her boss.

If I were to sum up the plot without giving too much away (though honestly there isn't anything to give away) I would say this: a rich girl who gets what she wants becomes
LilaBird
I'm having a hard time deciding what I think about this book. There were things about it that I LOVED, but there were also some glaringly awful mistakes. I want to be supportive because I'm fairly certain that the author is self-published, but I can't recommend the book without being honest about the amount of editing it needs. I think Phelps has a really great start here, but it needs work. I love the characters so much. They remind me of Mac and Barrons from the Fever series -- books that I ad ...more
Arati
Nov 04, 2012 Arati rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazon Kindle edition published by author, Color Me Grey: 978-0981769004, Shades of Grey: 978-0981769011, Reflections of Grey: 978-0981769028.

Self-published. That's what my first thought was when I looked at the cover of The Alexis Stanton Chronicles on Amazon's Kindle store. But the blurb sounded interesting so I downloaded it. And read it. And LIKED it.

If I sound surprised it's because I read a lot of self-published books (mostly because they're free and have good blurbs or titles) and rarely
Marsha
Jan 18, 2013 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult Urban Fantasy Lovers
(3.5 Stars)
It's been a we since I've read a series that truly captured my interest. Most of the new books I've read have been middle of the road. Last year I downloaded quite a few free ebooks from Amazon.com but I never read most of them. So, I decided I would read something I already had and I decided on "Color Me Grey." Despite the ugly book cover, the concept for this book was totally unique and full of colorful characters

Alexis Stanton was homeschooled because she was so bright. Her wealthy
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Jun 13, 2011 Lyn (Readinghearts) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not ready to recommend
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: STB
This book was billed as a romantic suspense book, although the synopsis made it sound more like a political thriller. As a result, I was not sure what to expect. What I found as I read it was a good thriller with an interesting story line. The main character, Alex Stanton, is a rich girl who has never been able to figure out what she wanted to do with her life. I found her to be spoiled and shallow at first, but once she got a job with a company of private mercenaries and became involved in the ...more
Jen
Jul 15, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, it was a little slow to get me interested but once Alex goes to White and Associates for the interview and what happens almost immediately after that, I was completely hooked.

I have a Kindle Fire and was able to download the trilogy for quite a deal so I downloaded the books on the same day. If I could have had the time to read Color Me Grey in one day, I so would have done it. I kept getting interrupted, which was frustrating because the book is soo fast paced.

Her first training session
Dee
May 25, 2011 Dee marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the author as part of a group that I belong to on Goodreads.com. When I first started it, the premise quickly drew my attention and I was looking forward to an exciting read, until chapter three.

Now, this is probably just me, but being in the Navy, I have an extremely hard time with books that feature military characters, when the author apparently has not done their research. In the space of less than half a page, there were three glaring military errors, an
Tammicco
Sep 22, 2012 Tammicco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character of Alexis Stanton is as complex as the grey of the world in which she operates. Skimming her surface reveals an only child allowed to find her own direction in life by loving, indulgent parents. But beneath the overlay is a determined woman whose natural inclinations tend toward adventure and espionage, while loving indulgence hides a hidden agenda that shapes her future.

I'm an urban fantasy woman. I was passing time downloading free ebooks to read until Ilona Andrews's Kate 6 debu
Kris
Jul 26, 2012 Kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried. I really did. I am not sure what some of the other reviews read, but it was clearly a different story. First, it is a 1st person narrative. That is fine, but you have to be careful with the vocabulary then. In the first chapter alone, the word "I" was used so much that eventually, it was all I saw. So right away it was irritating. Second, our main character Alex is pretty much insufferable. You can't say you are independent but still live off of mommy & daddy. And with all of the sp ...more
DiAnne
Sep 16, 2016 DiAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! We chose it for a book review and discuss and it turned out to be a fantastic read! There is enough action to keep you interested and very interesting characters. The main character Ms. Grey is amazing and a well rounded female character that isn't a sniveling whiny person which is totally refreshing. Mr. Black is a big bro type that makes you want to know everything about him. Mr. White is just as elusive but equally interesting. The rest of the characters are intriguing also ...more
Randy Tramp
May 05, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Book
Alexis Stanton quits her job and does a search. She finds a mysterious ad in the help wanted section. It proves to be the job for her.

My Thoughts:
There is a character by the name of Veronica Mars created by screenwriter Rob Thomas. As I read Color Me Grey I thought of the similarity of Alex Stanton and Veronica Mars. Alex, aka Miss Grey is a sassy, tough, onry, take no prisoners type of person. The same is true of Miss Mars.

Training in the woods to a ship on the ocean, this book was jam
Lisa
Apr 17, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a free Kindle book. It was strange. Alexis becomes unemployed and she answers a mysterious ad. Naturally she is attracted to the boss. She then just happens to have all the background skills required to be a private investigator with a firm that has quite a few military contracts (for example needing to extract people from a boat in foreign waters). It was just super predictable. Also, it spent most of the book setting up the premise for other books in the same series. I also found ...more
  • Blood Ties (Little Town, #1)
  • Stress Fracture (Dub Walker, #1)
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • The Truant Officer
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • For Love of Livvy (Esposito Mysteries, #1)
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
  • In the Spotlight (Mayne Attraction, #1)
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Syndrome
  • Chill Run
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • As the Crow Dies ("Jason Crow" West Texas Mystery, #1)
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Protector
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)

Alexis Stanton Chronicles (6 books)
  • Shades of Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #2)
  • Reflections of Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #3)
  • Traces of Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #4)
  • Fragments of Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #5)
  • Edge of Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #6)

“information” 0 likes