Start by marking “Principia Discordia” as Want to Read:
Principia Discordia

Principia Discordia

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,207 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
W Polsce Principia Discordia ukazała się nakładem Wydawnictwa Fox http://www.fox.com.pl [w opracowaniu Eugo, członka Międzynarodowego Stowarzyszenia Rzeczników Wolności Wewnętrznej (Non-Prophet Irreligion Disorganisation), i założyciela The Non-Existing Cacophonic Society Poland]. Wiekopomne to dzieło, jakim jest bez wątpienia Principia Discordia, jest poprzedzone aż kilko ...more
Published (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Principia Discordia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principia Discordia

Timothy
May 24, 2012 Timothy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

ERIS DISCORDIA, WHEN I SEE YOU AT SUMMERSLAM YOU'RE GONNA TAKE A BITE FROM THE APPLE OF COMBAT, BROTHER! WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE? IT IS A FLAVOR OF SORROW, DEEPER THAN THE CHASMS OF THE ELDER BEASTS! YOUR PHILOSOPHY IS AN EMPTY SKULL THAT I SHALL TRANSFORM INTO MY CHALICE, ERIS DISCORDIA! YOUR BEADED CURTAIN FOLLOWERS SHALL TREMBLE AT THE MIGHT OF THE WARRIORS! ORDER? DISORDER? THERE IS ONLY THE ENDLESS BATTLE FROM WHICH RESPITE IS NEVER GIVEN! IN ONE MUSCLE OF MY BODY THERE IS A THOUSAND TROJAN

Seizure Romero
"All things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to five." Principia Discordia, p. 16

When I was five I won a toy car at a carnival. The car had the number 23 painted on the side. The numbers of my birth year add up to twenty. I was born in the fifth month of the year. It's 5:13 as I'm typing this. Coincidence? No, my fine friend, I think not.
Jon
Jun 15, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: your neighbors.
Recommended to Jon by: Tony
If I could give this a 1,000 out of 5, I wouldn't.

-The introduction alone will have you a devout follower of Eris.

-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

-REMEMBER: King Kong died for our sins.

- ~~ OLD POEE SLOGAN ~~
When in Doubt, Fuck it.
When not in Doubt... get in Doubt!

A telegram sent to God:

-Dear God;
This is to inform you that your current position as deity is herewith terminated due to gross incompetence STOP Your check will be mailed STOP Please do not use me for a reference

Respectfully,

Malaclypse the Younge
Ramon
Aug 19, 2008 Ramon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it is difficult for me to rate this "book." it is like asking a christian to rate the bible. but it actually isn't. like the Necronomicon, this book is also true. if you do not believe then you are certainly one of Gruad's ophidian henchmen and should be fed to Leviathan post-haste.
Tristy
Sep 26, 2010 Tristy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It looks like I am alone in really hating this odd little publication. Actually, I don't hate it, as I understand its purpose and value to some, and I understand why so many people dig it. And yet, it really makes my skin crawl. I didn't grow up under the yoke of any religious dogma, so I don't have the need to make all esoteric writings ridiculous. Believe me, I am a fan of the odd and nonsensical and I know this pasted together missive has been around since the 60's, and yet, it is empty. It's ...more
Michael
May 12, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Discordians, Chaos Magicians, The Illuminati
Recommended to Michael by: Steve Jackson
This, as everyone knows, is the Bible of Discordianism. Fnord. It tells everything a devout Discordian should not do in order to not be a non-Discordian. Fnord. It also contains much combined wisdom and lore, which should be ignored. Fnord. It was written by a man who lived inside a Post Office Box, before all Discordians migrated into Cyberspace. (Do you believe that?). It may be funny, but is it really a joke? Fnord. Fnord. Fnord.

I believe that Discordianism was a transitional stage between th
Stuart
Mar 20, 2008 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. If you are religious, please read this book and get over yourself. If you're not religious, you'll appreciate the points it makes through satire and sarcasm. You can find it on the Internet for free.
Shadow
'A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing What he Reads'
- The Five Commandments (The PENTABARF)

Read that quote a few times. Then read the book. You might understand what it's about.

There will be some people who take this book to be their holy book and will memorize paragraphs and quotes, take detailed notes, and bury $3000 in their backyards. They are big fucking idiots and missed the whole point of the book.
Others will read it and see it as a confusing joke book and completely dismiss it. Th
Miss Ryoko
Mar 03, 2012 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Ryoko by: General H. Sassafras
Shelves: adult, borrowed
Actual rating: 2.5

My most darling love muffin read this book and loved it and immediately gave it to me to read... and much like the other books she's passed on to me to read, I unfortunately wasn't digging it. However, unlike the previous books she's lent me *cough Waterdeep cough* this one wasn't bad... the reason I couldn't get into it was because half the time I had no idea what the h I was even reading. It just all seemed too disconnected (which, I KNOW is the point) and I couldn't really
Adam
Feb 11, 2008 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sleezy guys with ponytails
An interesting breakdown of chaos magick. Reads like crazy person ranting on the street and a sleezy guy with a greasy ponytail, wearing a black velour button-up trying to get you to participate in his Sunday night basement ritual under the pretext of "building cones of power".
Danny
Apr 03, 2016 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read this: Why haven't you read this book?

If you have read this: Why aren't you quoting it right now?

If you are quoting it right now: Why are you quoting it to me? I've already read the book.

Daniel Lambert
Aug 25, 2015 Daniel Lambert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Everything is true."

"Even false things?"

"Even false things are true?"

"How can that be?"

"I don't know man, I didn't do it."

This excerpt from a supposed interview with Malacylpse the Younger" (aka Gregory Hill), the co-author of this wonderful book, expresses the ideas presented in the Principia Discordia better than any review could.

What is the Principia and why has a game company published it? In the early seventies, conspiracy buff Kerry Wendell Thornley (who served in the Marine Corps w
Chrissy
I was recommended this book by a person who I consider to be extremely intelligent. Having read it, I'm not sure why.

It might have hit a stronger chord in the 60's, before the idea of creating a new religion to shine light on the perversities of organized religion and human culture more broadly became relatively commonplace. I expect it *was* a shiny new notion back then, and I bet this book *did* ripple in the imaginations of the disenfranchised youth of the time. But to me, now, it read like t
Kirk
Feb 18, 2011 Kirk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved Loompanics, and it really depresses me to know they're not around anymore. This was one of the first books I bought from Loompanics. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others I purchased, but I really attribute my apathetic nature towards this book to my expectations. I had read Gleik's Chaos and really thought this was going to bring my understanding of chaos to a new level. Instead I found an absurdist approach utilized in the text, with a lot of random imagery scrawled in the corners of ...more
Mike
Dec 29, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually still reading this in bits and pieces (it's kinda impossible to read a bible like this all at once) but it seems fitting of the spirit of the book to say I've read it when I'm not done yet, since "all is allowed" is one of the rules of Discordianism, the
"religion" of which this book forms the Bible, and even run-on sentences are not eschewed; nay, they are another way of expressing the inherent Disorder (Praise Eris, Goddess of Disorder!) in the Universe.

Every "ha-ha, only serious"
Doug
Apr 03, 2009 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's difficult to actually review a book like the Principia Discordia. As a self-described Discordian (with the added stipulation that the definition of a Discordian is someone who wants to describe him/herself as one), it's something of a holy book for me. Except that we Discordians don't really believe in holy books. Except for the ones who do.

I've seen the description "a religion disguised as a joke disguised as a religion," and it's fairly apt. I consider this book an introduction to a way o
Joseph
Oct 15, 2015 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a fun satire of religion in here, mixed with a bunch of other junk alternatingly funny, dated, and bizarre. I asked my pineal gland what was up, and it looked at me sternly and asked if I really thought I was a Cartesian. So screw that. I'm going to go have a hot dog, because screw Discordianism.

HAIL ERIS
HAIL DISCORDIA
HAIL HAIL
HAIL YES
Robb Bridson
Jun 27, 2012 Robb Bridson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reads either as a hilarious satire of new age religion, a hilarious mockery of traditional religion, or a hilarious collection of really stupid things.

In any case, it's hilarious. And a quick read.
andrew
May 13, 2007 andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you,or not?
the reason i love this book can be summed up in one commandment of discordia-"all discordians are forbidden from believing anything they read."i think that says it all,dont you agree rachel miller?
Stuart Dean
Aug 16, 2015 Stuart Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was worried that Eris Discordia wasn't the Goddess for me. As an Overman with the purist of Yeti blood running through my veins it seemed that I was locked into the Church of the SubGenius. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found right there in the Principia that dual membership is allowed. I can be an honorary SubGenius and a dishonorary Discordian both at once. Hail Eris! Hail Hail! Hail Yes!

Now I am both a Prophet of Bob and an Episkopos of Eris. Discordia does not allow prophets because
William Maxwell
Admittedly, I picked this up on a lark when it hit the bookshelves (big fan of Steve Jackson Games) and for most of the book I was annoyed and amused by what appeared to be a slapdash production. I really wasn't sure why it was so popular.

The last sentence should prove why I'm an idiot.

Woven within a number of slaps and derision at modern culture is a remarkably thorough philosophical base and a great (and definitely different) take on how the universe works. Placing another axis on 'morality' a
Megara
Jan 03, 2015 Megara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We live in a time of turmoil, the whole planet is in a state of change. If we, as a species, cower from the confusion then we die with the dying. This is revolution."
Bremer
I wandered from town to town, searching for a rating to not give this book. Years passed. My beard dragged below my feet, withered and white. My hands had wrinkled, shredded of their flesh, curled into claws of bone.

Then over a horizon of green trees, I found a town. At the hostel I met a zen priest draped in orange robes. He was hunched over, letting a kitten lick his pineal gland. When I asked him his name, he turned to me.

"Why is there suffering in this world, why does entropy degrade these
Onyx
Oct 07, 2012 Onyx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Onyx by: A companion
This book is a wild ride. If I wasn't the person I am, I would have chalked this book up to being just totally out there in left field. But the writer has a method to his madness. You just have to wait for it.
There's a thin line running here between genius and insanity, and he gets dangerously close to falling over both sides at the same time. Don't ask me to be more specific about what I'm talking about with this book. You'd be wasting your time.
Yeah, it's that random. That Deliberately random
Rip Ace
Feb 01, 2016 Rip Ace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate themselves, Greyface and His disciples
I had been waiting for a while to get my own copy of the Principia Discordia after reading it online and through the library. When I got this (what I considered updated) version and flipped through it, though, I was SEVERELY disappointed. I thought somehow that I ordered a study guide or something. All of the pages had just text, all in one font, all in one direction, with regular page numbers and the like. No pictures, stamps, or any of the bizarreness that marks Discordia.

I started reading it
Rayn
Nov 20, 2013 Rayn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only you can pull the meaning you want from this book. If you're dissatisfied with organized religion, but don't feel like you can or want to be an Athiest (although being Athiest doesn't mean you can't be a Discordian or a POPE) and need some sort of "guidance" or ritual in your life then this is probably for you.

Also, it helps to have a sense of humor and not take this non-religion too seriously. We Discordians must stick apart.

Old-Barbarossa
Sep 10, 2009 Old-Barbarossa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After listening to someone rant at fnord you about how everything in the Da Vinci Code fnord or Angels And Demons is true, just hand them this and walk fnord away.
I wonder what chaos these guys would have fnord unleashed if the interweb fnord had been around back in the day.
Yes there are 5...go back and count.
Michael
May 02, 2012 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst rip-off of the Principia Discordia ever. And despite the original's kopyleft, this book changes some clip-art and details and adds a copyright. I'd scan and upload the book to the Internet just to piss off the author but it's such a piece of crap that I can't be bothered.
General H. Sassafras
My first thought: Why wasn't this around when I was writing tons of history papers?

While completely and utterly silly and pointless, this book has definitely gone into the list of books I think everyone should read. Stupid? Sure. Funny? Definitely. Inspiring - you bet.
J. Lundquist
This is a VERY random book. It is in it's 5th printing, and a lot of it has been aggregated into the current tome. Not an easy read, as it does tend to be chaotic (which is in the nature of the beast described), but not the best thing to try to extract information from.
  • The Book of the SubGenius
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone (New Autonomy)
  • The Illuminatus! Trilogy
  • The Book of Lies
  • Zen Without Zen Masters
  • Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

“In conlusion, there is no conclusion. Things will go on as they always have, getting weirder all the time.” 87 likes
“The real reality is there, but everything you KNOW about “it” is in your mind and your
to do with as you like. Conceptualization is art, and YOU ARE THE ARTIST”
18 likes