Start by marking “Classical Mythology” as Want to Read:
Classical Mythology

Classical Mythology

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  847 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
No further information has been provided for this title.
Published July 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Mythology

The Odyssey by HomerThe Iliad by HomerMythology by Edith HamiltonThe Complete World of Greek Mythology by Richard BuxtonHomeric Hymns by Homer
Homer: The Blind Bard of Chios
37th out of 95 books — 15 voters
Immortal Matchmakers, Inc. by Mimi Jean PamfiloffTail of the Devil by Danielle DeVorAncient Blood by Brian Patrick McKinleyThe Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisFaefever by Karen Marie Moning
Immortals
67th out of 104 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

Chrissy
Jan 29, 2011 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. A comprehensive overview of Greek and Roman mythology, with stories told in a surprisingly entertaining and coherent tone. I recommend this for anyone interested in mythology, as it's one of the few textbooks I've had that reads like a good novel.
Scott
Jan 09, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as the basic textbook for my college classical mythology course circa 1995. Probably the best book on the topic I've read.
Patrick
Dec 10, 2014 Patrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students and Teachers
Recommended to Patrick by: My School
Joesph Campbell is the authority on Classical Mythology, and this book uses his works a lot. There are a lot of names to know if you are trying to read this straight through. I would recommend taking each chapter at a time to get to know the stories.
Whereis
Dec 13, 2015 Whereis rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Highly recommended! It gives a nice overview of the myths and epics in greek and roman culture and has a ton of sources (primary and secondary, as well as dvds and cds) at the end of every chapter!
Tiffany
Apr 25, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Comprehensive textbook. (FAH313, U of T). Not too many differences between editions, you could buy second-hand and save money.
Jonathan
I have been a Greek myth geek since I was first introduced to it in my sixth grade world history class. The only thing this book added to what I already knew was how they may have came about. I had never considered the cultural perspective of the Titanomachy or the Medusa myth and that was a refreshing take on things.if you are a novice to Greek mythology, this book is for you. If you know your stuff, walk on by.
Natasha
Jul 26, 2011 Natasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hunter
Another confusing book, as it seemed to "explain" the myths as though the basics were common knowledge. It was almost impossible to try to piece together the outline of the classic stories because this book attempted to cover every convoluted or esoteric twist. Also attempted to describe Freud's belief in the motives for creation of some of the myths. All in all, a little too ambitious and ultimately confusing.
Ashley
Feb 16, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
The best classical mythology book that I've ever had. I found an earlier edition of this book and found it extremely helpful and detailed. I now own this book and it's even better. This edition is printed on beautiful glossy paper, has colour pictures, and serves as an excellent resource if you're a student, a professor, or if you're like me and you're fascinated with mythology!
Kristopher
This is the textbook I used for my mythology and ritual class. Overall, it was easy to use. I liked how the end of every myth discussed modern art works (including movies and plays) inspired by that myth. However, some of the stories were hard to understand. Several times, I went to Wikipedia to figure them out.

Also, I read a later edition than the one listed.
Alisha
Nov 15, 2015 Alisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
This was my Classical Mythology class textbook for my Summer classes. I really enjoyed reading this book. Though it was a lot to read for a 6 week course. I plan on going back to reread some sections but other than that I really enjoyed the textbook and the class.
Benny
Aug 04, 2011 Benny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very dry, an extremely dull read. It's loaded with good information, but the authors could have tried to keep it interesting. It's the stuff that has captured the imagination of countless millions for thousands of years - how hard can it be?
Richelle
May 07, 2008 Richelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latin-and-greek
This one was used for my Classical Mythology auditorium style lecture course in college. I found this text more enagaging than I did the version of the Odyssey we were supposed to read that semester.
Joshua
Sep 09, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing
I love everything about the classics. I think they are a source of timeless wisdom. Rules and lessons that apply in any age can be learned from studying the Greek and Roman Mythology.
Suzanne King
Found this good in conjunction with my studies but on its own I would not recommend. There are better compilations of the myths which are easier to understand (for the beginner) out there.
Tepintzin
Oct 06, 2012 Tepintzin rated it really liked it
Shelves: pagan
It's a textbook, aimed at college. Start your kids off with the d'Aulaire books and then Bullfinch's when they're older. This was a good overview for me, to fill in gaps in my knowledge.
Frans
Apr 07, 2012 Frans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I randomly searched my shelves for something to help me brush up on Orpheus and Euridice. Before I knew it, I'd brushed up on a whole lot more and learned some new things to boot.
Joseph
Jul 01, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it
A really good text. I now have a renewed interest on Greek Mythology and it's influences on the Western world.
Danielle Head
I love to read about the ancient myths.. they are so interesting and you can usually apply them to present time.
Erica Cameron
Nov 02, 2007 Erica Cameron rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent and extensive source for Greek mythological and heroic figures. Everyone from Andromeda to Zeus is here!
Kelly Barry
Dec 06, 2012 Kelly Barry rated it liked it
Very helpful read. Especially with works like the Iliad, the Odyssey, and Metamorpheses
Kate
Pretty good, but I only read it because it was assigned. Oh well.
Krista Ivy
Mar 04, 2016 Krista Ivy rated it really liked it
Shelves: oppl-library
you have to love the drama within the classic mythology.
Megan
Classical Mythology by Mark P. O. Morford (2002)
Mar 01, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Loved the information.
Erin
Nov 08, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
love it! it breaks all these really complex myths and their histories down
Michal
Jan 14, 2013 Michal marked it as to-read
Shelves: all
Bruna Jadric
Bruna Jadric marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Beka
Beka marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • The Gods of the Greeks
  • Parallel Myths
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans
  • Desolation Run
  • Encyclopedia of World Mythology
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Greece: A Political, Social and Cultural History