Start by marking “Classical Mythology” as Want to Read:
Classical Mythology

Classical Mythology

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  765 ratings  ·  25 reviews
No further information has been provided for this title.
Published July 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Mythology

Brilliant. A comprehensive overview of Greek and Roman mythology, with stories told in a surprisingly entertaining and coherent tone. I recommend this for anyone interested in mythology, as it's one of the few textbooks I've had that reads like a good novel.
Read this as the basic textbook for my college classical mythology course circa 1995. Probably the best book on the topic I've read.
Dec 10, 2014 Patrick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students and Teachers
Recommended to Patrick by: My School
Joesph Campbell is the authority on Classical Mythology, and this book uses his works a lot. There are a lot of names to know if you are trying to read this straight through. I would recommend taking each chapter at a time to get to know the stories.
I have been a Greek myth geek since I was first introduced to it in my sixth grade world history class. The only thing this book added to what I already knew was how they may have came about. I had never considered the cultural perspective of the Titanomachy or the Medusa myth and that was a refreshing take on things.if you are a novice to Greek mythology, this book is for you. If you know your stuff, walk on by.
Another confusing book, as it seemed to "explain" the myths as though the basics were common knowledge. It was almost impossible to try to piece together the outline of the classic stories because this book attempted to cover every convoluted or esoteric twist. Also attempted to describe Freud's belief in the motives for creation of some of the myths. All in all, a little too ambitious and ultimately confusing.
The best classical mythology book that I've ever had. I found an earlier edition of this book and found it extremely helpful and detailed. I now own this book and it's even better. This edition is printed on beautiful glossy paper, has colour pictures, and serves as an excellent resource if you're a student, a professor, or if you're like me and you're fascinated with mythology!
This is the textbook I used for my mythology and ritual class. Overall, it was easy to use. I liked how the end of every myth discussed modern art works (including movies and plays) inspired by that myth. However, some of the stories were hard to understand. Several times, I went to Wikipedia to figure them out.

Also, I read a later edition than the one listed.
This was my Classical Mythology class textbook for my Summer classes. I really enjoyed reading this book. Though it was a lot to read for a 6 week course. I plan on going back to reread some sections but other than that I really enjoyed the textbook and the class.
Very dry, an extremely dull read. It's loaded with good information, but the authors could have tried to keep it interesting. It's the stuff that has captured the imagination of countless millions for thousands of years - how hard can it be?
This one was used for my Classical Mythology auditorium style lecture course in college. I found this text more enagaging than I did the version of the Odyssey we were supposed to read that semester.
I love everything about the classics. I think they are a source of timeless wisdom. Rules and lessons that apply in any age can be learned from studying the Greek and Roman Mythology.
Suzanne King
Found this good in conjunction with my studies but on its own I would not recommend. There are better compilations of the myths which are easier to understand (for the beginner) out there.
It's a textbook, aimed at college. Start your kids off with the d'Aulaire books and then Bullfinch's when they're older. This was a good overview for me, to fill in gaps in my knowledge.
I randomly searched my shelves for something to help me brush up on Orpheus and Euridice. Before I knew it, I'd brushed up on a whole lot more and learned some new things to boot.
A really good text. I now have a renewed interest on Greek Mythology and it's influences on the Western world.
Danielle Head
I love to read about the ancient myths.. they are so interesting and you can usually apply them to present time.
Erica Cameron
An excellent and extensive source for Greek mythological and heroic figures. Everyone from Andromeda to Zeus is here!
Kelly Barry
Very helpful read. Especially with works like the Iliad, the Odyssey, and Metamorpheses
Pretty good, but I only read it because it was assigned. Oh well.
Krista Ivy
you have to love the drama within the classic mythology.
Classical Mythology by Mark P. O. Morford (2002)
Loved the information.
Nov 08, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
love it! it breaks all these really complex myths and their histories down
Jan 14, 2013 Michal marked it as to-read
Shelves: all
Alice is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Eva Schatz
Eva Schatz marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
  • The Gods of the Greeks
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • Myths of Greece and Rome
  • Encyclopedia of World Mythology
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
  • Parallel Myths
  • Ancient Greece: A Political, Social and Cultural History
  • Desolation Run
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
  • What Life Was Like on the Banks of the Nile: Egypt, 3050-30 BC
  • Deceptive (Illusive, #2)
  • Gods, Demigods & Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
The Gendered Society Classical Mythology: With the Odyssey of Homer The Roman Philosophers A Companion to Classical Mythology Classical Mythology, 7th Edition, Packaged With Ovid's Metamorphoses And Apollodorus' Library Of Greek Mythology