Classical Mythology

Classical Mythology

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  580 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Building on the best-selling tradition of previous editions, Classical Mythology, Eighth Edition, is the most comprehensive survey of classical mythology available in one volume. Featuring the authors' clear and extensive translations of original sources, it brings to life the myths and legends of Greece and Rome in a lucid and engaging style. The text contains a wide vari...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Mythology

Chrissy
Brilliant. A comprehensive overview of Greek and Roman mythology, with stories told in a surprisingly entertaining and coherent tone. I recommend this for anyone interested in mythology, as it's one of the few textbooks I've had that reads like a good novel.
Jonathan
I have been a Greek myth geek since I was first introduced to it in my sixth grade world history class. The only thing this book added to what I already knew was how they may have came about. I had never considered the cultural perspective of the Titanomachy or the Medusa myth and that was a refreshing take on things.if you are a novice to Greek mythology, this book is for you. If you know your stuff, walk on by.
Natasha
Another confusing book, as it seemed to "explain" the myths as though the basics were common knowledge. It was almost impossible to try to piece together the outline of the classic stories because this book attempted to cover every convoluted or esoteric twist. Also attempted to describe Freud's belief in the motives for creation of some of the myths. All in all, a little too ambitious and ultimately confusing.
Ashley
The best classical mythology book that I've ever had. I found an earlier edition of this book and found it extremely helpful and detailed. I now own this book and it's even better. This edition is printed on beautiful glossy paper, has colour pictures, and serves as an excellent resource if you're a student, a professor, or if you're like me and you're fascinated with mythology!
Kristopher
This is the textbook I used for my mythology and ritual class. Overall, it was easy to use. I liked how the end of every myth discussed modern art works (including movies and plays) inspired by that myth. However, some of the stories were hard to understand. Several times, I went to Wikipedia to figure them out.

Also, I read a later edition than the one listed.
Alisha
This was my Classical Mythology class textbook for my Summer classes. I really enjoyed reading this book. Though it was a lot to read for a 6 week course. I plan on going back to reread some sections but other than that I really enjoyed the textbook and the class.
Benny
Very dry, an extremely dull read. It's loaded with good information, but the authors could have tried to keep it interesting. It's the stuff that has captured the imagination of countless millions for thousands of years - how hard can it be?
Richelle
This one was used for my Classical Mythology auditorium style lecture course in college. I found this text more enagaging than I did the version of the Odyssey we were supposed to read that semester.
Joshua
I love everything about the classics. I think they are a source of timeless wisdom. Rules and lessons that apply in any age can be learned from studying the Greek and Roman Mythology.
Suzanne King
Found this good in conjunction with my studies but on its own I would not recommend. There are better compilations of the myths which are easier to understand (for the beginner) out there.
Tepintzin
It's a textbook, aimed at college. Start your kids off with the d'Aulaire books and then Bullfinch's when they're older. This was a good overview for me, to fill in gaps in my knowledge.
Frans
I randomly searched my shelves for something to help me brush up on Orpheus and Euridice. Before I knew it, I'd brushed up on a whole lot more and learned some new things to boot.
Joseph
A really good text. I now have a renewed interest on Greek Mythology and it's influences on the Western world.
Danielle Head
I love to read about the ancient myths.. they are so interesting and you can usually apply them to present time.
Erica Cameron
An excellent and extensive source for Greek mythological and heroic figures. Everyone from Andromeda to Zeus is here!
Kelly Barry
Very helpful read. Especially with works like the Iliad, the Odyssey, and Metamorpheses
Glorious.Clio
Pretty good, but I only read it because it was assigned. Oh well.
Krista Ivy
you have to love the drama within the classic mythology.
Megan
Classical Mythology by Mark P. O. Morford (2002)
Loved the information.
Erin
Nov 08, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
love it! it breaks all these really complex myths and their histories down
Michal
Jan 14, 2013 Michal marked it as to-read
Shelves: all
Justin Lawrence
Justin Lawrence marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Preston Carter
Preston Carter is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
  • The Greek Myths, Vol 2
  • The Complete World of Greek Mythology
  • Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • Favorite Greek Myths
  • The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans
  • Myths & Legends of the British Isles
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Gods, Demigods and Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
The Gendered Society Classical Mythology: With the Odyssey of Homer The Roman Philosophers A Companion to Classical Mythology Classical Mythology: With Jason and the Golden Fleece (the Argonautica) by Apollonius of Rhodes