The Father Hunt

The Father Hunt (Nero Wolfe #43)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  921 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Hired to locate Amy Denovo's long-lost father, Nero Wolfe and his assistant, Archie Goodwin, discover that the missing man has a deadly and dangerous secret to hide.
Published May 26th 2010 by Bantam (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Father Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Father Hunt

Kitty
This Nero Wolfe mystery begins with Lily Rowan's assistant, Amy Denovo, asking for Archie's help in finding her father. Her mother has passed away from a hit-and-run incident without ever breathing a hint to Amy of her real father, so, with money collected from checks supposedly sent by the father, Amy hires Wolfe - only the case is complicated when it looks like the hit-and-run might have been more sinister.

Although enjoyable, there are some minor quibbles with the plot in this one (it feels as...more
Carol
The interplay between Archie and Nero was great as usual (which is why I love this book series as much as I do) but this particular mystery was not my favorite. The ending was a bit meh! (two stars) Archie and Nero (four stars) - so I averaged it out.
Rebecca
22 year old Amy DiNovo's (not sure about the spelling) mother has been killed by a car, and Amy approaches Nero Wolfe through his assistant Archie Goodwin to find out who her father is--and maybe if her mother was murdered. She offers thousands of dollars in cash, which she discovered in her mother's locker at work, along with a note that said the money came from Amy's father; $1000 a month since she was born, but her mother never touched it. Amy knows nothing of her mother's life before her own...more
Alexis Neal
Amy Denovo wants to find her father. The trouble is, she doesn't know who he is, what he does, or where he lives. All she knows is that her mother received checks for $1000 every month from Amy's birth until her mother's death in a hit and run accident a few months back. But was it really an accident? Wolfe and Archie chase lead after lead in an attempt to track down the long-lost father, determined to find an answer. Whether Amy likes the answer she gets ... well, that remains to be seen.

The st...more
robyn
One of my favorite Stouts; Wolfe and Goodwin are both in good form, and Wolfe doesn't solve the mystery through a restaging of the event or an outright deception, which always seems a bit of a cheat to me.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series is one of my favorites anywhere, anytime. As a teenager, I obsessively enjoyed Glen Cook's Garrett Files books. It wasn't til I came across Nero Wolfe that I realized how much Cook had outright lifted from these stories - the plots were unveiled recastings of Chan...more
Nan Silvernail
A car swerves up onto the sidewalk and ends a mother's life. Her daughter then receives and opens a Pandora's Box of a case. 1/4 of a million dollars is in the box and a letter from her mother saying this money is from your father. Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin must find their way through a web of aliases and secrets going back generations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SPOILERS DRAWN ON A BANK CHECK

Cover Art - Nicely done, I think.

If you missed it, when I called this a Pandora's Box...more
Peggy
I listened to this book on CD. It was an enjoyable book for listening - it was easy to follow and, as usual, had enough dead ends to keep me guessing to the end. A young woman hire Nero Wolfe to identify her father whom she has never known. Her mother was killed in a hit and run accident a few months earlier. Is the a connection between the hit and run and the girl's father? Leave it to Wolfe and Archie Goodwin to unravel the story.
Mike Jensen
Odd combination of a private eye voice with a Sherlock Holmes type story. I do not care for it, but can understand why the series is popular. It probably helps to know the characters well, because the bits of petty one-upmanship between the protagonists is likely to enthrall those who read Stout for these moments. The same is true for the condescension to the incompetent and officious police. The story annoyed me because it could very nearly have skipped from the first chapter to the midway poin...more
Ed
#43 in the Nero Wolfe series. This entry was published in 1968 and while the flavor of the series has been consistant throughout, except for prices, the writing is much more fluid and not as dated as the early entries (starting in 1934) or even when Archie was a Major in Army Intelligence in the wartime Not Quite Dead Enough (1944).

Nero Wolfe series - Amy Denovo, a young woman assisting Lily Rowan, hires Nero Wolfe because she must find out who her father is, or was. After her mother was killed...more
Shireen
It wasn't till I finished reading this good book that I realised the point of The Father Hunt is in the title: the hunt. Not the solution, this time. And in that it's a gem. But I will say that the holes at the end, or incomplete answers, left me feeling a bit cheated. That's why I gave it 3 instead of 4 stars. On the other hand, I can make up a story to fill in the big why, something I used to enjoy doing way back when I was a young reader.

This edition is supposed to include letters from Rex S...more
JulieLaLa
This must be my favourite of the many Rex Stout Nero Wolfe novels! Fave characters (Archie and Nero), excellent mystery, great dialogue, etc... Always worth reading!
Carla
Nero Wolfe is one of my favorite foodie detectives. Quite a niche, eh? In this caper he solves the mystery...it involves a missing father. I hope I didn't ruin anything.

The reading of this audio book was just ok. I don't think the actor chosen had quite the right voice to portray Archie Baldwin who narrates the entire story, but he did put a little effort into different voices for each of the characters. Much as I did when my father read me bedtime stories, I think different voices for each cha...more
Dave Peticolas

Archie and the Big Man search for the father of Lily Rowan's secretary.

Steven Vaughan-Nichols
Another day, another great Nero Wolfe novel. What more need be said?
Tony
Stout, Rex. THE FATHER HUNT. (1968). ***.
Amy Denovo approached Archie Goodwin with a job. Her mother had just been killed by a hit-and-run driver and Amy inherited nearly a quarter of a million dollars. It seems that her father – whom Amy never knew – sent her mother $1,000 per month for many years. Mom never touched any of it. Amy’s assignment to Archie and Nero Wolfe: find my mother’s killer and find my father. This was a good case for our famous duo.
Tom
This reads like a bloated short story with contrived drama.
Usman
Then he switched from meat to words and said it was miscalled shish kebab. It should be seekh kebab. He spelled it. That was what it was called in India, where it originated. In Hindi or Urdu a seekh is a thin iron rod with a loop at one end and a point at the other, and a kebab is a meatball.

I'm truly impressed by an American writer to have known this about food from some 13,000 miles away back in 1950-60s.
Vicki Cline
A young woman comes to Wolfe with $250,000 in cash, saying her mother had put $1000 away every month since her birth and that it came from her father. Her mother had been killed recently in a hit-and-run, and she wants Archie, whom she trusts absolutely, to find her father. They have very few clues, and don't even know the real name of the mother, but they prevail. An interesting case.
Bill  Kerwin
Amy DeNovo, Lily Rowan's young assistant, wants Archie to help her find out who her father is. The problem is an interesting one--and even more interesting in that it may very well be connected with her mother's hit-and-run death some months before. This is one of the best of Wolfe's adventures, with many twists and turns, at least three vivid minor characters, and a satisfying denouement.
Nancy
We listened to this well read audio CD on a drive to Boise to meet our new grandson. It is perfect for a long drive. I was afraid a Rex Stout mystery taking place in the mid 1960's would be a pale imitation of his pre-WWII classics that I have enjoyed so much, but this one lived up to that standard. Perhaps it was because the real essence of the mystery took place before 1945.
Jessi
Lilly Rowan is a good friend of Archie's. One day, her secretary, Amy, asks Archie if he (not Nero) can help track down her father. Archie demurs, saying he only works for Nero. Well, Amy comes up with the money to pay Nero's salary and the boys are off on a case that tracks back twenty years and overlaps with the death of Amy's mother.

A good Nero Wolfe book.
Sami
A fun take on a detective novel. Loved the dry humor and sarcastic side comments. Subtly-devine. Wished there was more character development (though I suspect more emerges over the Nero Wolfe series of books), but found Archie's characteristics carried me through this quaint story. Good job Rex.
Tom
A fictional account of a painting by Edgar Degas spins its tale through this book. The author has wonderful descriptions of Degas' painting and the cutthroat culture of the art world. Halfway through the book, I had no idea where the plot was headed. Almost too bad it had to end.
Karen
The age of this one showed. These days we've got DNA tests for this sort of thing. Not the most engaging mystery ever, though maybe I shouldn't have started with this book in the series—perhaps if I'd already known the characters I would have enjoyed it more.
Ted
There's nothing better than spending an afternoon in the library with Archie and Nero. This one is particularly delightful. Lily Rowan (always a favorite) plays a big role, and Saul Panzer appears too. When I'm in the brownstone, life is good.
Hobart
I wish I knew how long it had been since I'd read this one (if you'd asked me a few weeks ago, I'd have said it wasn't long at all). Years. Maybe High School. Huge mistake on my part.

This was a blast. I won't wait so long before returning.
Emily
Read in two sittings!!! Wait, is that good or bad? It taps pleasingly into Mad Men and this culturally ingrained need we all have to read pulp in the summer. Budget Raymond Chandler with lots of interesting writing about food. And dames.
Lisa Kucharski
A difficult mystery for Wolfe and Archie but after great effort that find the "father." Though in the end, the client may have been happier to have never known. Again strong characters, and in this story, some really nasty ones.
☯Emily
This time, a young woman tries to hire Archie, not Nero Wolfe, to find her father. It is a difficult case with difficult suspects who don't tell the whole truth, resulting in confusion. As usual, an easy and fun read.
Robert
For me, this was easily the weakest of the Nero Wolfe stories that I have read. Michael Pritchard's superb reading was the highlight for me. Without it, I'd have had to give it fewer stars.
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
  • The Phantom of the Temple
  • The Case of the Blonde Bonanza
  • Double Deuce (Spenser, #19)
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • Backflash (Parker, #18)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)

“Wolfe: 'Our next step is obvious, but it must wait...'
Archie: It was nice to know the next step was obvious, but it would have been even nicer to know what it was.”
0 likes