Start by marking “The Empowered Patient: How to Get the Right Diagnosis, Buy the Cheapest Drugs, Beat Your Insurance Company, and Get the Best Medical Care Every Time” as Want to Read:

The facts are alarming: Medical errors kill more people each year than AIDS, breast cancer, or car accidents. A doctor’s relationship with pharmaceutical companies may influence his choice of drugs for you. The wrong key word on an insurance claim can deny you coverage. Through real life stories, including her own, and shrewd advice, CNN’s Elizabeth Cohen shows you how to ...more
Published (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Empowered Patient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empowered Patient

Shermel
Feb 19, 2011 Shermel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: insight, health-cook
This book opens the doors to a side of the medical industry, I know of. It should be a starter book on your journey to taking charge of your health and that of your family. Elizabeth Cohen wrote a book that should have been written years ago. I find it scary and painful to see how the medical industry uses our blind trust for doctors to sale and use us. If you find this book helpful, give a copy to a friend as a gift. Or let them borrow your copy.
Linda
Sep 27, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone!
This book is absolutely indispensable. Cohen guides the reader through the pitfalls of the US health system, and demonstrates convincingly how crucial it is for patients to learn to be their own best advocates in a medical system that is largely stacked against them.

Cohen covers topics as extreme as careless misdiagnosis and grievous medical errors, as maddening as the disproportionate and harmful influence of pharmaceutical and medical equipment companies driven only by their bottom line, and
Emily Bledsoe
Jan 09, 2017 Emily Bledsoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to read this book. Every person comes in contact with the health care world. What we need to recognize is that the white coats are people, very busy people who make fatal mistakes. This is an enlighting guide. It is simple, direct and possibly life-saving. Make a note to pick this book up sometime soon. The tools this book will arm you with are invaluable.
Meeraiyer
Dec 09, 2012 Meeraiyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful!! This book was an eye opener - everytime I have seen a Doctor in the US/UK and waited for 2+ hours, was rushed in for 10 mins of advise sans reviewing my past health records and felt petrified to ask for help/questions, I have wondered about the merits of the US Healthcare system versus the long easy chat with my Doctor in India over chai/snacks chatting over my reports and making lifestyle changes based on his deep knowledge of my health & family health/habits ...And to rea ...more
Liza Hogan
Sep 18, 2013 Liza Hogan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-have guide for anyone who sees a doctor, spends any time in a hospital or cares for someone during a hospital stay. This was my bible during my mother's hospital stay and her care was markedly better having applied the lessons I learned in The Empowered Patient. Get it, read it, use it.
Laura Suess
A great book for a clueless health care consumer. However I already knew and do most of what she suggested to be an empowered patient so it wasn't as useful. It would be very helpful to people who blindly follow medical advice.
Terry Crawford Palardy
Excellent, inspiring stories to life your spirits (and at times deflate them) and teach you to advocate more actively and vocally when receiving medical treatment. Very well written, helpful back notes as well.
Jay
This is an easy to read, clear guide to learn how to be your own healthcare advocate. As a professional advocate in disability community and a person with lifelong experience in managing my own healthcare, I still learned a great deal from this book.
Alice
Sep 25, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Anyone who will ever be a patient or an advocate for a patient (that's all of us, folks) should read this book.
Dawn
Aug 06, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some excellent information in here that I wish I had years ago, especially when it came to dealing with doctors and insurance companies.
Brea
Jan 10, 2016 Brea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patti Ryan
Jun 01, 2012 Patti Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource, everyone should read this book! Easy to read, written in plain language. Be prepared to help your family and friends, and yourself. Get this book!
Ronda Clayton
Jan 13, 2014 Ronda Clayton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information, well organized and easy to read. Would recommend this to anyone who feels they are not getting what they need as a patient.
Maryann
Maryann rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Cheryl Sandlin
Cheryl Sandlin rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Amanda Klovekorn
Amanda Klovekorn rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Ash
Ash rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
mitchell s leff
mitchell s leff rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Kristina Meadows
Kristina Meadows rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Laney
Laney rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Kimberly Seto
Kimberly Seto rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Edrie
Edrie rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Kelly Dempewolf
Kelly Dempewolf rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Ileana
Sep 09, 2010 Ileana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-patients
A lot of good information about being a patient these days.
« previous 1 3 next »