Start by marking “The Empowered Patient: How to Get the Right Diagnosis, Buy the Cheapest Drugs, Beat Your Insurance Company, and Get the Best Medical Care Every Time” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The facts are alarming: Medical errors kill more people each year than AIDS, breast cancer, or car accidents. A doctor’s relationship with pharmaceutical companies may influence his choice of drugs for you. The wrong key word on an insurance claim can deny you coverage. Through real life stories, including her own, and shrewd advice, CNN’s Elizabeth Cohen shows you how to ...more
Published (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Empowered Patient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empowered Patient

Shermel
This book opens the doors to a side of the medical industry, I know of. It should be a starter book on your journey to taking charge of your health and that of your family. Elizabeth Cohen wrote a book that should have been written years ago. I find it scary and painful to see how the medical industry uses our blind trust for doctors to sale and use us. If you find this book helpful, give a copy to a friend as a gift. Or let them borrow your copy.
Linda
Sep 27, 2011 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone!
This book is absolutely indispensable. Cohen guides the reader through the pitfalls of the US health system, and demonstrates convincingly how crucial it is for patients to learn to be their own best advocates in a medical system that is largely stacked against them.

Cohen covers topics as extreme as careless misdiagnosis and grievous medical errors, as maddening as the disproportionate and harmful influence of pharmaceutical and medical equipment companies driven only by their bottom line, and
Meeraiyer
Very insightful!! This book was an eye opener - everytime I have seen a Doctor in the US/UK and waited for 2+ hours, was rushed in for 10 mins of advise sans reviewing my past health records and felt petrified to ask for help/questions, I have wondered about the merits of the US Healthcare system versus the long easy chat with my Doctor in India over chai/snacks chatting over my reports and making lifestyle changes based on his deep knowledge of my health & family health/habits ...And to rea ...more
Ronda Clayton
Good information, well organized and easy to read. Would recommend this to anyone who feels they are not getting what they need as a patient.
Liza Hogan
A must-have guide for anyone who sees a doctor, spends any time in a hospital or cares for someone during a hospital stay. This was my bible during my mother's hospital stay and her care was markedly better having applied the lessons I learned in The Empowered Patient. Get it, read it, use it.
Jay
This is an easy to read, clear guide to learn how to be your own healthcare advocate. As a professional advocate in disability community and a person with lifelong experience in managing my own healthcare, I still learned a great deal from this book.
Laura Suess
A great book for a clueless health care consumer. However I already knew and do most of what she suggested to be an empowered patient so it wasn't as useful. It would be very helpful to people who blindly follow medical advice.
Terry Crawford Palardy
Excellent, inspiring stories to life your spirits (and at times deflate them) and teach you to advocate more actively and vocally when receiving medical treatment. Very well written, helpful back notes as well.
Patti Ryan
Excellent resource, everyone should read this book! Easy to read, written in plain language. Be prepared to help your family and friends, and yourself. Get this book!
Dawn
There is some excellent information in here that I wish I had years ago, especially when it came to dealing with doctors and insurance companies.
Alice
Anyone who will ever be a patient or an advocate for a patient (that's all of us, folks) should read this book.
Ileana
A lot of good information about being a patient these days.
Tom
Everyone should read this book. Great concepts and ideas.
T Carson
T Carson marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Harold Cates
Harold Cates marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
German in USA
German in USA marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Skip
Skip marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Stanton
Stanton marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jessica Bernard
Jessica Bernard marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Pauline Hazell
Pauline Hazell marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014