Start by marking “The Master Executioner” as Want to Read:
The Master Executioner

The Master Executioner

Ordinary people do not understand Oscar Stone. Everything he does, he does impeccably. He is a profound student of his art, completely versed in its traditions over the centuries. He is a student of ropes and their properties, a master of the latest scientific knowledge about the human neck, a careful calculator of weights and drops, and an exacting observer of results.

For
Hardcover, First Edition, 270 pages
Published June 23rd 2001 by Forge Books (Tom Doherty Associates)

To ask other readers questions about The Master Executioner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master Executioner

Robert
Apr 26, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
This is an excellent western novel with a bit of a twist. Instead of the usual novel of frontier justice and revenge with Colt's and Winchesters smoking up the plains here we have the story of one man. A Civil War veteran that finds his way into an apprenticeship with a carpenter. He makes his way to Kansas where he is commissioned to build a gallows. There he meets the hangman and begins a new apprenticeship and begins his move towards The Master Executioner.
This book really has a lot going for
Michael
Sep 06, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. Not at all a traditional western, "The Master Executioner" is the story of Oscar Stone, civil war veteran turned carpenter turned hangman.

Stone is an interesting man, apprenticed to both a master carpenter and a studied executioner, he becomes exceptional at both trades. His skill at carpentry is what births both his marriage and his turn at the noose, and his skill at the noose is what destroys both marriage and carpentry career.

Stone and his teacher Rudd are both w
Fredsky
Sep 07, 2010 Fredsky rated it liked it
This is a biography of a hangman. He was called to the profession by an older master who taught him everything he knew and eventually retired to become a preacher. Our hangman, Oscar, was drawn to the veteran executioner Rudd because of the precision of his techniques. Trained as a carpenter, Oscar was fascinated by the physics of the job. Rudd showed him the ropes and their properties, how to stretch and oil and tie them, how to calculate weights and drops, and how to find the exact placement ...more
Ron
Nov 04, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: westerns
Published in 2001, this novel captures something of the sobering mood of that year. It’s about life and death and choices with unexpected consequences. Not really a story, it’s a character study of a young man emotionally marked by wartime atrocity. A Union soldier, still in his teens, he is witness to a clumsy and ghastly execution by hanging.

At war’s end, Oscar Stone is scarcely eighteen years old and the only surviving member of his family, his one brother dead and buried on the fields of Get
Phair
Dec 26, 2009 Phair rated it really liked it
Focused, full of interesting detail & background with a well developed main character. I do like Estleman's work. At the time I read this I was very into Dr Quinn Medicine Woman and this book reminded me of the episode ("Matter of Life and Death"?) where the town has to hang a man and the acting sheriff (Quinn's eldest 'son') isn't up to the job. There was a lot more to 'learning the ropes' than you'd imagine. A good one.
Robyn
Nov 10, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Robyn by: 110
These days it is popular to tell people to work and what they love and success will be sure to follow. The Master Executioner is about a man who takes this advice and its impact on his life.

This is not my grandfather's western. It is a modern novel that takes place in the years just after the Civil War and before the turn of the century, when people were migrating in hordes from east to west and industrial innovations were happening so fast the landscape could change from year to year.

Oscar Ston
Ed
Jan 31, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, action, western
#12 in the American West series. 2002 Western Heritage Award for Outstanding Western Novel.

The American West series - Hangman Oscar Stone is a master executioner, who prides himself on his careful and exacting work, until a sudden moment of realization and devastating truth forces him to come to terms with himself and his profession.

Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
HB-B @ 2001, 7/01. The story of a carpenter-turned hangman in the years after the civil war. How he perfected his craft, how he inadvertently hanged his own son, how he met his death. Interesting.
Catherine
May 23, 2014 Catherine rated it liked it
This is a well-written novel set in the west in the post-Civil War era. The author shares a lot of history of that period and the science behind the making of a true master of a hangman.
Mark
Dec 15, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Despite the grisly subject matter, this book was written in the style of classical literature. I appreciated the attention to detail, and the story expressed the feelings of the executioner quite well.
Erica
Feb 22, 2010 Erica rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, fiction
While the story of Oscar Stone is an interesting and absorbing one, the sparse dialog and focus on the main character (with little development of supporting characters), provides the reader with a very one-sided view of events. There is little sense that the plot is building up to anything important, and the author delivers with a surprisingly anticlimactic ending that leaves the reader feeling confused, frustrated, and bereft. When considering the overall introspective and psychological nature ...more
Matt Howard
Feb 28, 2009 Matt Howard rated it liked it
A novel set in the second half of the 19th century in the American West. Explores the psychology of a professional hangman, who must come to terms with his isolation and reasons why he continues in his occupation despite loss of his wife and hostility from the public. Explores the change in his life as electric chairs replace hanging, and ends with . . . . I won't give it away. Good way to spend some time.
Susannah Goldstein
Nov 07, 2012 Susannah Goldstein rated it really liked it
This was great. I never would've read it if I weren't assigned to read a modern Western this week, but I'm so glad I did. Oscar Stone is a great character, and I loved the macabre science of it all.
Steve
Apr 12, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, westerns
A fine, but depressing character study of a hangman who in the end has nothing else but the mechanics -- and history, of his trade. To date, the best Estelman novel I have read.
Sue
Nov 09, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slaves-civil-war
Wow, pleasantly surprised to find that it was better than I thought it would be.
Katie
Sep 12, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
Interesting, and a quick read, but I did not really think the ending was earned.
Chris
May 23, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Now I want to read more--a whole more--by this author.
Krissy Lee
Krissy Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Roydell
Roydell rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Jai Rodrigue
Jai Rodrigue marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Jane Kirk
Jane Kirk rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Thomas Fox
Thomas Fox rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Robin Doudna
Robin Doudna marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Chase Carter
Chase Carter rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
Isaiah Burroughs
Isaiah Burroughs marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Mad Dog
Mad Dog marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Mrs M J Webby
Mrs M J Webby rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Kaitlin Descutner
Kaitlin Descutner rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Loren D. Estleman is an American writer of detective and Western fiction. He writes with a manual typewriter.

Estleman is most famous for his novels about P.I. Amos Walker. Other series characters include Old West marshal Page Murdock and hitman Peter Macklin. He has also written a series of novels about the history of crime in Detroit (also the setting of his Walker books.) His non-series works in
More about Loren D. Estleman...

“appeared fierce, but Oscar decided this was due more to the fact that his face was still cut and swollen from” 0 likes