Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

Paul Laurence Dunbar was "the most promising young colored man" in nineteenth-century America, according to Frederick Douglass, and subsequently one of the most controversial. His plantation lyrics, written while he was an elevator boy in Ohio, established Dunbar as the premier writer of dialect poetry and garnered him international recognition. More than a vernacular lyri ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Penguin Books (first published July 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Anne Tinklenberg
I found some of Paul Laurence Dunbar's poems such as, "We Were the Mask", gripping. However, I struggled with his romantic poems written in standard English. The tyranny of the rhyme robbed the poems of concrete detail or meaning. They didn't evoke a specific moment or emotion for me, but rather a generic sentiment or time. Some of the poems that were written in vernacular, though they maintained a rhythm, were more interesting. The rhyme seemed to be playful, almost slyly mocking the content of ...more
Kit
Jun 03, 2015 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
Some really great poems in here. A thinner culling might have been even better. Though I am left wanting to read more of Dunbar's prose now.
Ruben Dario
Jan 02, 2017 Ruben Dario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine poems from an important African-American writer. Some of the poems are in dialects , others are in conventional English. My favorite is Sympathy with the famous verse I know why the caged bird sings.
Ian
Jul 02, 2012 Ian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Selected Poems had its moments but overall I didn't love it. If people know about Dunbar at all it is usually because Maya Angelou took the title of her seminal novel, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings from his poem, "Sympathy."

I was skeptical when I read it but true to a central premise of the intro essay by Herman Woodward Martin, poet and professor emeritus at University of Dayton (birthplace of Dunbar), to this collection of poems, I have to concur with Martin that Dunbar's best work were his
Jim
Dunbar is my new favourite poet!
he wrote a lot of poetry in dialect, think of Robt Service writing of the South instead of the Yukon. this edition is the two dollar dover, one of the best bargains i've gotten. should be able to find is work in the public domain, ie. Bartleby.com.
one poem, The Haunted Oak, is written from the view point of an oak tree in which an innocent man was hung from.

if someone gave me a choice of books i've not read by Service, Millay and Dunbar i don't know whose i'd p
Julie
Sep 30, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dunbar was a masterful writer and it was a pleasure to get lost in his words. Great poets let you brush up against their soul, and Dunbar was a great poet. Thanks to Maya Angelou, most of us have heard "Sympathy", which starts "I know what the caged bird feels, alas!". But there were many other wonderful poems in this selection. "The Colored Soldiers" will illicit goosebumps of pride. And "My Sort O' Man" is a timeless reflection on our society. Would highly recommend.
Mackenzie
As with all poetry, each individual work must stand for itself, and it is hard to judge an overall collection when the feelings towards individual pieces lead to ambivalence towards the whole, in my opinion. The poems give a glimpse into the world of life for Blacks in the South around the times of the Civil War. About half of the works are written to mirror the speech patterns of that time, so you almost have to read them aloud to get the sound right and know what it is supposed to say.
Tara
May 08, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great selection of poems. I love Dunbar's funny poems and his romantic poems are adorable. This is a great poetry book.
Emily Dybdahl
Beautifully written. I loved the 19th-century style of his non-dialect poetry, and Dinah Kneading Dough was my favorite of his dialect poems.
Tsenat
Tsenat rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Chris Karnes
Chris Karnes rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2008
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2011
Rita R
Rita R rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2008
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Dani
Dani rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
James-clifton
James-clifton rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2014
Matt Martinson
Matt Martinson rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Beelzefuzz
Beelzefuzz rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Sir
Sir rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Z.
Z. rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2008
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2007
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Fenia
Fenia rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Terry Rose
Terry Rose rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Latonya Kelly
Latonya Kelly rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Laurence Dunbar (June 27, 1872 – February 9, 1906) was a seminal American poet of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Dunbar gained national recognition for his 1896 Lyrics of a Lowly Life, one poem in the collection Ode to Ethiopia. In 2002, scholar Molefi Kete Asante listed Paul Laurence Dunbar on his list of 100 Greatest African Americans.

Dunbar was born in Dayton, Ohio to parents who
More about Paul Laurence Dunbar...