Start by marking “The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose” as Want to Read:
The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose

The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  29 reviews
You sleep (hopefully) for 8 hours. You work (at least) 8 hours. What are you doing in those remaining 8 hours of your day, and more importantly, what are the other 8 hours doing for you? To the bleary-eyed worker who doesn't have time to stop and catch his breath, the idea of having 8 hours may sound absurd. If that's you, this is your wake-up call. THE OTHER 8 HOURS provi ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Other 8 Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other 8 Hours

Emily
Somewhat annoyingly optimistic and rah-rah-you-can-do-it! in tone, this book actually does have some useful nuggets. The general premise, that it is in the "other 8 hours" when we're not working our 9-to-5 or sleeping that we can really make something of our lives and get ahead, rings true. But some of the suggestions for application were lacking or far-fetched. As a SAHM, I certainly don't have a 9-to-5 job and I'm not sure exactly where the "other 8 hours" come in for me. There are occasionall ...more
Itasca Community Library
Tuki says:

This book will be meaningful to those who feel they’re just not living up to their full potential, that they can do more. “The more” can be anything you want it to be, losing weight, making more money, or living a more purposeful life. The “8” hours that the author speaks of is of course hypothetical as most of us who work full-time don’t have eight full hours of free time but basically the author makes you question how you spend your free time. If your objective is to be more producti
Harry Roger Williams III
There was some familiar material here. I loved the title of Chapter 11, "Stop Talking and Start Getting," but could pretty much recite verbatim the "pot roast story" he opens it with. He makes good use of it though, to contrast habits that drain us with the power of creating new habits that can take us to another level. Mark Joyner and Steve Chandler are not listed in the Endnotes or the Index, but I can hear them speaking in the background. Seth Godin and David Allen too. All are favorites of t ...more
Dan
This is a very fast read. If you are looking to be more productive in the time you aren’t at work, this book helps you find ways to carve out the time. The book is pretty straightforward and is creatively marketed – people who control the time they spend out of work are called “Cre8tors” an allusion to the title of course. The first chapter is slow, spending too much time selling the reader on the value of the “other 8 hours” (if you are reading the book, you already get it) but the book moves o ...more
Beth
This book was OK - I would have given it 2 1/2 stars if possible. The author talks about maximizing the "other 8 hours" in your life - the time you have to yourself (assuming you work 8 hours per day and sleep 8 hours per day). He encourages readers to pursue their dreams and use this time to make them happen - whether that involves pursuing education, a business, or just re-prioritizing your time to use it doing what you want. He has some good suggestions for getting rid of low-priority tasks ( ...more
Jenny Chen
I agree with the importance of the other 8 hours.
Betsy
I found this to be a very inspiring book, focused on how to use the 8 hours of your day when you're not at work and not sleeping to pursue your dreams. It really made me want to quit my job and start my own business, so be careful if you read it! Yes, it has left me a little unsettled in my work life, but it really inspired me to think about business options outside of the 9 to 5. I highly recommend this book (but beware, you might want to switch career directions).
Amanda
I found parts of this book useful and interesting. It made me really want to identify my life's leeches and find ways to create a more meaningful life but like most of these books, the ways to make money are too far fetched for the average joe. I guarantee that most people are not making thousands off their blogs every month. The other get rich ideas are equally unattainable for the average person.
Peggy
Some good bits of information but overall, the book didn't stick with me. Like an inspirational talk that fades after a week. Not very applicable to people with non-traditional employment or homemakers. Author started out well with helping us identify time "leeches." The second half of the book devolved into "... and then start a second business and make a ton of money!" If it were so easy...
Septiara
That was inspiring book, how you deal with time? Could you control them?. It made me to try to be more productive person. Unfortunately, I got this book in Bahasa edition, and sometimes i did'n get the idea-in some sentences because the translating were lil bit confusing. Overall I got the idea and I think this book was pretty-insightful!

A must read! i'm sure that'd be useful :)
Christina
While this isn't the most inspiring self improvement book I've ever read, I will say it is full of resources, helpful information and is up to date in technology. A must read for any entrepreneur or someone looking to earn a little extra income. The last third of the book is about making change happen, and it's a bit generic but a nice fit.
Bryce
I really enjoyed some of the points this book brought out. I think he focuses too much on getting money with your Other 8 Hours, but perhaps he figures he may not be qualified to help as many people in the areas of family, church, and so on. Still, a great book with some interesting points that I need to be reminded of periodically.
Sandra
Wonderful!!! It's not often that I find a self-help book that has great advice from cover to cover. Pagliarini gives great, relavant tips for maximizing my free time. I found this book to be inspiring and it has renewed my enthusiam for life in general but also my day-to-day activities and how to maximize my time.
Joan Zhu
this is the amzing book that inspire you to think about yout self , it can apply everywhere in your life . and it is also the book for helping you to get to know your daily scheduel ,to improve your life into another different status . you will know how to make your time and master it by a purpose tht you want to go .
Rich Quintyn
Your fairly typical marketing fare with some insightful points mixed. Can't really say that I learned a lot from this book but it kind of highlights the importance of certain aspects of your life that you might overlook. Useful if you're looking to better manage your time and resources.
Kikka
I really enjoyed his writing style. I liked the ideas he had for making the most of our time, even though I did skim through a few of the parts that didn't really pertain to my goals for what to do with my time.
Kelli
This book made me downright frantic thinking of all I "should" be doing, until I realized the 8 hours I have left in the day should probably continue to be the hours I actually sleep and rest.
Amanda
One of those books for reference, not for entire content. Great starting point for brainstorming time management, earning extra money, and finding more ways to do what you really love.
Gayle
Really inspiring look at how we spend our time - and what to do about it. Highly recommend for any creative types who are trying to balance a full time "day job" with their passions.
Cheryl
Could not read...was not expecting to read the views of Saddleback Church. Definitely not for me and Chinese Democracy so does not rock. Sounded promising but a big disappointment.
Susan
Read it and liked it so much I bought it to read again. Easy read , but full of ideas to get you back on track to being more mindful of your time and use it rather than waste it.
Patricia
Very insightful. This book changed my life. I passed it on to my husband to read and it changed his life too. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Joann
Not much new as far as information in this book. Use the "nooks and crannies" of your day wisely. A good mentor can help you in this area immensely.
Nicola
I liked his message about not having to stay busy and occupied at every moment, but just make the most out of your life and your time.
Pretty inspiring, I might have to quickly flip back through it and take some notes so I don't forget all those good tips too quickly!
Melissa
Pretty good advice for improving your life. Quick read, chock full of good ideas. What are you doing with your other 8 hours?
Doreva
Very useful for those considering starting a primary or secondary business in the time off of primary-work hours.
A much needed boost. Already helping me prioritize my other 8 hours of the day to get what I really want.
Lugaga
仔細想想 有些時間真的是自己找出來的......
吸血的人生血蛭 滾開吧
  • 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Eating Organic on a Budget
  • Pinterest Power: Market Your Business, Sell Your Product, and Build Your Brand on the World's Hottest Social Network
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Stop Acting Rich... and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • The Husband Project: 21 Days of Loving Your Man--On Purpose and with a Plan
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Born to Win: Keeping Your Firstborn Edge Without Losing Your Balance
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to Be Miserable)
  • Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • One Year to an Organized Work Life: From Your Desk to Your Deadlines, the Week-by-Week Guide to Eliminating Office Stress for Good
  • 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think
  • Тайм-драйв : Как успевать жить и работать
Plan Z: How to Survive the 2009 Financial Crisis (and even live a little better) The Six-Day Financial Makeover: Transform Your Financial Life in Less Than a Week! How to Survive Grey Divorce: What You Need to Know about Divorce After 50