Start by marking “Besides the Bible: 100 Books That Have, Should, or Will Create Christian Culture” as Want to Read:

What Book Has Influenced You Most? So many books, so little time. How do you decide what to read? Walking into a bookstore, a library, or looking online can be an intimidating and overwhelming experience, to say the least. With so many options and not knowing what?'s best for you, it?'s easy to just end up making an impulse buy or giving up on reading altogether. We barely ...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Authentic (first published November 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Besides the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Besides the Bible

Ramón
Nov 23, 2010 Ramón rated it really liked it
*Full disclosure: I know all three of the main authors of this book, and I am even mentioned in the acknowledgments section. However, I tried to give as objective a review as I could under the circumstances.

I like the concept of this book and the potential for meaningful conversation contained within it. I like that the books included are not only religious but cover many different kinds of literary genres and topics. I also like that the essays are short and accessible. In all, it's a great sta
Milan Homola
Nov 15, 2012 Milan Homola rated it liked it
The book is great at helping you fill out your "want-to-read" list. It tries really hard to convince you that real Christian culture will avoid the pitfalls of individualism, consumerism, and idiotism by simply reading better books...and possibly looking at some art.
If I didn't already read snobby fiction and walk around critiquing the likes of mainstream christian literature...I probably would've been offended by the book.
Either way (if you are touchy or snobby or not into reading) my experienc
Kristin
Mar 02, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sue, Jodi, Kelly, Beth, Lisa, Dani
I thought this book was well thought out and intriguing. A friend of mine lent it to me and I only have a week with it so I devoured it. I'm not sure about some of the books, but there are a couple there that are definitely worth discussing and looking into further. And they're right: not all the books are great books, but even the bad books are helping create Christian culture. I love that they included poetry and plays. I don't usually ever buy books, but I purchased this one last night and am ...more
Taylor Storey
May 26, 2014 Taylor Storey rated it it was amazing
I love this little nugget of a book! It's like the lists that compel you to click on them on various internet sites, but it's for books, and it is for books that have, could, should and will create christian culture. Having lived in and worked in that culture for a couple years, this book is great. It is what it says it is: it describes books that have shaped christian culture, books that the authors wish would shape christian culture, and a few gambles on what will create christian culture. It' ...more
Mar 01, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
When I received this book I was very intrigued about what books would make the list. As a Theology and Bible major I had a tentative list in my mind of books that I thought should be on the list. For the most part the list as included in the book. I was a little disappointed at times because I thought the discussion on some of the books should be a little longer. It is understandable because the book would have been significantly longer if the length of each book summary was longer. Overall I th ...more
Tim
Jul 18, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
This is a great book as a catalog of 100 books that Christians should read. While it made me feel that I haven't read enough (which is true), I can say that it is motivating me to add around 70 books to my list of "to-read" here.

My biggest praise is that not all 100 books are Christian, and not all of the choices by famous authors are their most famous works. These guys (Dan Gibson, Jordan Green, and John Pattison) know their stuff, and the guest essays are fantastic, too.

If you want to expand y
Matt Miles
Feb 05, 2011 Matt Miles rated it really liked it
This is a well-written and enjoyable collection of essays on influential, inspiring and thought-provoking books by authors who enjoy reading. The smooth flow and conciseness of the writing makes this a worthwhile conversation on the written word and how it helps to both shape and challenge us.

If you're a reader, heck, even if you're not, jump into the conversation. You won't be disappointed.
Brock Pattison
Mar 18, 2011 Brock Pattison rated it it was amazing
A very informative read. It has definitely given me thoughts on books that I should read, as well as the authors. As a Christian, I am always wanting something good to read that will encourage my growth, and these guys (including one who is my older brother) have done a great job of recommending great books.
Definitely a great book to have on the shelf, to be looked at before starting another book, just to get some ideas.
Ruth Ann
Nov 10, 2010 Ruth Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I am thoroughly enjoying reading this book! The essays about each selection are informative and yet have a conversational, informal tone. An added bonus is the additional book suggestions that you will find in several of the essays. My unwritten "to read" list is suddenly much larger! I was even tempted by some of the essays to reread books that I have read when I was much younger.

Austin
May 03, 2014 Austin rated it really liked it
I appreciate this book's goal of Christian intellectualism and the breaking the idea that Christians only own a copy of the Bible and Left Behind. There's a good mix of book recommendations; some are very surprising.
Catherine
Dec 06, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
Interesting selections were made, will have to check more of these books
Opoku-agyapong  kwaku
Opoku-agyapong kwaku rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Matthew Gillette
Matthew Gillette rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2015
Jo Santosa
Jo Santosa rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Matias Hanisch
Matias Hanisch rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Daniel Dunnivan
Daniel Dunnivan rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
David Jones
David Jones rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Jeff Reimer
Jeff Reimer rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Radu
Radu rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Kester
Kester rated it really liked it
May 16, 2011
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Nathan Attwood
Nathan Attwood rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
Robert Justice
Robert Justice rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Richard Mollica
Richard Mollica rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Evan Williams
Evan Williams rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2011
Rebecca Henderson
Rebecca Henderson rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2010