Start by marking “Besides the Bible: 100 Books That Have, Should, or Will Create Christian Culture” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
What Book Has Influenced You Most? So many books, so little time. How do you decide what to read? Walking into a bookstore, a library, or looking online can be an intimidating and overwhelming experience, to say the least. With so many options and not knowing what?'s best for you, it?'s easy to just end up making an impulse buy or giving up on reading altogether. We barely ...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Authentic (first published November 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Besides the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Besides the Bible

Ramón
*Full disclosure: I know all three of the main authors of this book, and I am even mentioned in the acknowledgments section. However, I tried to give as objective a review as I could under the circumstances.

I like the concept of this book and the potential for meaningful conversation contained within it. I like that the books included are not only religious but cover many different kinds of literary genres and topics. I also like that the essays are short and accessible. In all, it's a great sta
Taylor Storey
I love this little nugget of a book! It's like the lists that compel you to click on them on various internet sites, but it's for books, and it is for books that have, could, should and will create christian culture. Having lived in and worked in that culture for a couple years, this book is great. It is what it says it is: it describes books that have shaped christian culture, books that the authors wish would shape christian culture, and a few gambles on what will create christian culture. It' ...more
Milan Homola
The book is great at helping you fill out your "want-to-read" list. It tries really hard to convince you that real Christian culture will avoid the pitfalls of individualism, consumerism, and idiotism by simply reading better books...and possibly looking at some art.
If I didn't already read snobby fiction and walk around critiquing the likes of mainstream christian literature...I probably would've been offended by the book.
Either way (if you are touchy or snobby or not into reading) my experienc
Kristin
Mar 03, 2011 Kristin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sue, Jodi, Kelly, Beth, Lisa, Dani
I thought this book was well thought out and intriguing. A friend of mine lent it to me and I only have a week with it so I devoured it. I'm not sure about some of the books, but there are a couple there that are definitely worth discussing and looking into further. And they're right: not all the books are great books, but even the bad books are helping create Christian culture. I love that they included poetry and plays. I don't usually ever buy books, but I purchased this one last night and am ...more
Austin
I appreciate this book's goal of Christian intellectualism and the breaking the idea that Christians only own a copy of the Bible and Left Behind. There's a good mix of book recommendations; some are very surprising.
When I received this book I was very intrigued about what books would make the list. As a Theology and Bible major I had a tentative list in my mind of books that I thought should be on the list. For the most part the list as included in the book. I was a little disappointed at times because I thought the discussion on some of the books should be a little longer. It is understandable because the book would have been significantly longer if the length of each book summary was longer. Overall I th ...more
Tim
This is a great book as a catalog of 100 books that Christians should read. While it made me feel that I haven't read enough (which is true), I can say that it is motivating me to add around 70 books to my list of "to-read" here.

My biggest praise is that not all 100 books are Christian, and not all of the choices by famous authors are their most famous works. These guys (Dan Gibson, Jordan Green, and John Pattison) know their stuff, and the guest essays are fantastic, too.

If you want to expand y
Brock Pattison
A very informative read. It has definitely given me thoughts on books that I should read, as well as the authors. As a Christian, I am always wanting something good to read that will encourage my growth, and these guys (including one who is my older brother) have done a great job of recommending great books.
Definitely a great book to have on the shelf, to be looked at before starting another book, just to get some ideas.
Matt Miles
This is a well-written and enjoyable collection of essays on influential, inspiring and thought-provoking books by authors who enjoy reading. The smooth flow and conciseness of the writing makes this a worthwhile conversation on the written word and how it helps to both shape and challenge us.

If you're a reader, heck, even if you're not, jump into the conversation. You won't be disappointed.
Ruth Ann
I am thoroughly enjoying reading this book! The essays about each selection are informative and yet have a conversational, informal tone. An added bonus is the additional book suggestions that you will find in several of the essays. My unwritten "to read" list is suddenly much larger! I was even tempted by some of the essays to reread books that I have read when I was much younger.

Catherine
Interesting selections were made, will have to check more of these books
Andy
Andy is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2015
Kevin
Kevin added it
Nov 01, 2014
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Joni
Joni marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Deepak
Deepak marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Nicole14
Nicole14 marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
WFK
WFK marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
LuAnne
LuAnne marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Kirk Stifle
Kirk Stifle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Micky Jones
Micky Jones marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How To Make Money On E Bay Without Using Any Of Your Own Money   A 24 Hour Success Guide: Start Earning Cash Within 24 Hours   Guaranteed!