Start by marking “Hidden in Plain Sight: The Secret of More” as Want to Read:
Hidden in Plain Sight: The Secret of More

Hidden in Plain Sight: The Secret of More

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Even for the religious, life is full of questions: What is faith? Can my life be more satisfying? How can I deepen my walk with Christ? What does it mean to be happy? These bubble and boil underneath the surface of our everyday life. And though we ignore them, we know they point us to realms of wisdom or even mystery-to something "more."

Author Mark Buchanan asked these sam
Published March 1st 2007 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Hidden in Plain Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden in Plain Sight

Tyler
Jan 19, 2009 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned a lot from Mark's insights on Peter's letters, with emphasis on 2 Peter 1:1-9 (adding to your faith the seven virtues of goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love). He gives some paradigm-shifting perspectives, and each of the seven virtues he dissects in both intellectual and practical manners. Sometimes authors provide expert theological exegesis without tangible application, or conversely they motivate actions without giving sound doctrin ...more
Andrew
Aug 18, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One sensational book on just a few verses from Peter. I encourage you to read, you won't be sorry. Be blessed!
Tamara
May 23, 2009 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, as are all his books. He expounds on the seven virtues Peter says to "make every effort to add" now that we have everything we need for life and godliness. This one took a while longer to captivate me than some of his did, but still had several brilliant insights that I think will stay with me. For example, he defines self-control as really a matter of perspective and being able to see and act in light of eternal things. That is so very much deeper than just "resolve" to do ...more
Jun 12, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meditation on 2 Peter 1:1-9 regarding the cultivation of virtue in the Christian life. He breaks down this list (faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love) and considers how we might grow in these traits. He also looks at Peter's life and ministry as a whole. Mark Buchanan is one of the most alive Christian writers that I know of and never fails to inspire me to live deeper. Spiritual Rhythm might be my favorite and Your God is Too Safe, but ...more
Michael Hsu
May 29, 2015 Michael Hsu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the 2nd book I’ve read by Mark Buchanan and I will add this to my “favorites” shelves as well. This book talks about the 7 virtues and is very well written. It is not a “heavy” book to read which I like. I especially like all the practical applications he has given to help us be more virtuous.
Susan Gaddis
Jun 06, 2013 Susan Gaddis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. Truth that hits you in the gut and wipes your tears. Stories that bring a point home. Hidden in Plain Sight uncovers the secret to getting past the old wounds, fears, and bad habits that haunt your life.

Virtue, no longer an archaic term, becomes your #1 word and its practice your joy. You'll find Jesus closer and more real at the end of your reading than at the start. And you won't want to go back to your old way of living.

Mark Buchanan is one of my most favorite authors. Ho
Cerella Sechrist
Best quote: "Fear has to do with judgment. Fear has to do with the sense that I don't measure up. I'm not good enough. I'm not loved. If you knew me, you'd reject me. And when we fear that way, we become evasive and defensive and aggressive. We want to settle scores. We're easily threatened. We're open prey to envy and pride and greed. We try to define ourselves by what we have or what we know or what others think about us. We spend inordinate amounts of time trying to manipulate other people's ...more
Alisa Dyson
Jan 27, 2008 Alisa Dyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Valerie Person
"This is a book about practicing virtue, which at first may seem - as it did to me - a descent into something narrow and dark and enclosing, a world without wind, without open spaces where weather dances its varied moods. The word virtue made me almost claustrophobic. by temperament and against better instinct, I still have moments where I think the good life is seeking my own pleasure at my own convenience, and so the very thought of practicing virtue chafed me" (Buchanan, xii). I never imagine ...more
Jun 08, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with a friend of mine & we discussed. Buchanan has a way with words and the topic, while difficult in action, was timely.
Matt Siewert
Feb 02, 2009 Matt Siewert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, Buchanan does confess that he wishes he could write more fiction. And that desire plays out in his writing style. Although he is describing real life situations and dynamics, he does so with an eloquence and creativity that makes you want to keep reading. It's the practicality of a spiritual development book with the intrigue of fiction. Buchanan gives life to seemingly lifeless characters and helps us discover God's heart.
Amanda Evangelista
Wow! I started reading this last night and finished it today, could not put it down! I think that was partly because it was teaching me some lessons that I really need to be learning right now. About the seven virtues that we should always be striving to cultivate more of in our lives, good stuff! I look forward to reading more from this author.
Mary
Apr 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mark Buchanan's mind, the way he delves into Scripture, mining it deeply, then penning words about his discoveries beautifully. But more than that, I love his heart for Jesus. Spending time in a Mark Buchanan book is like sitting next to my savior, savoring His presence, reveling in His nearness, earthiness, and beauty.
Jeni
Sep 17, 2013 Jeni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book, more than many non-fiction books I've read. I got it from the library, but I definitely want to add it to my library for revisiting. Don't know if I can say it "changed" my life, but definitely influenced my views on the seven virtues mentioned in 1 Peter.
Nancy Boyd
Dec 31, 2014 Nancy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, eye-opening read! I never thought so much wisdom could come out of 7 verses of Scripture, but this is a book I'll be referring back to again & again! Deep, yet easy to understand, insightful, yet honest and humble too. Excellent book!
Milton Moon Louie
Jul 29, 2014 Milton Moon Louie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, own
A changed Peter the fisherman who writes to us about virtues. Inspirational. B+
Marcus Lynn
This is the 3rd good book by Buchanan I've read and they've all been important contributions to my library. This one focuses on the virtues listed in 2 Peter 1:1-9.
Pam Howell
Jul 30, 2011 Pam Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Mark speaks truth. I found it challenging and inspiring. It made me long to be more like Christ and gave me practical ways to do that.
Mizbooks
Jul 11, 2008 Mizbooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
((received in mail from Crossings Book Club, read it, then sent it back))

Good book!
Rachel Olsen
Mar 12, 2012 Rachel Olsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark inspires me as a writer - he has such a way with words.
Bobbi Monahan
Bobbi Monahan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Rachelle Sperling
Rachelle Sperling marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Jan 20, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Lisa Potter
Lisa Potter is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • Faith and Doubt
  • The Name
  • Lifesigns: Intimacy, Fecundity, and Ecstasy in Christian Perspective
  • Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World
  • Dancing in the Arms of God: Discover Your Cinderella Story
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • The Life of A.W. Tozer: In Pursuit of God
  • Sabbath
  • Seizing Your Divine Moment: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure
  • Celebrating the Disciplines: A Journal Workbook to Accompany "Celebration of Discipline"
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Let Go
  • Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype & Spin
  • Fields of the Fatherless: Discover the Joy of Compassionate Living
Mark Buchanan lives in Calgary, Alberta, with his wife, Cheryl. They have three young adult children, Adam, Sarah, and Nicola. He was a longtime pastor, an author of many books, and now serves as a professor at Ambrose University College in Calgary.
More about Mark Buchanan...