Start by marking “Hiring the Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing & Recruiting” as Want to Read:
Hiring the Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing & Recruiting

Hiring the Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing & Recruiting

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Employees are your company's number one asset. "Hiring the Best" offers managers and HR personnel a proven and practical approach to recruiting and selecting the right people for the job. With over 400 questions you can use to interview candidates and obtain the most pertinent information, you'll be armed with the tools you need to ensure that you are indeed "Hiring the Be ...more
Paperback
Published December 1st 2005 by Adams Media Corporation (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hiring the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiring the Best

GoldGato
It's always nice to get another perspective on the process of hiring new employees, and I have found this book to be very helpful. I think the reason it ranks as my favourite interview book is due to the fact that it addresses the three points of hiring, which are:

1. Is the candidate able to do the job?
2. Is the candidate willing to do the job?
3. Is the candidate going to be manageable?

In an age where true references are not really available due to company restrictions on releasing data on emplo
Lori
A few days after being promoted into my first management position I needed to hire someone, and needed some guidance. This book gave me the basic information to conduct thorough interviews and a philosophy/structure to start the process. In the intervening years, it's also served as a way to prepare to be interviewed... when I can answer the questions in this book clearly I am much more prepared and comfortable sitting on the "other side of the table."
Beau
Before I read this book, 15 years ago, I thought I knew how to interview people. I was mistaken.

Mr Yate described a simple process of matching resume to job, and then planning the interview skeleton to clarify specific things. It changed my mind about this critical business practice.

If anyone ever gets hired again in this country, the person hiring should dust off this book first and prepare like a professional.
John Sutton
If you are a manager this book offers lots of information on making better and more informed hiring decisions. As a candidate it is just as important as you can see what to look for and what skills you should possess/show that you are able to do the job. (Kindle)
Wayne Zill
Jun 22, 2010 Wayne Zill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wayne by: waynezill@gmail.com
This is a great reference book for anyone doing interviewing or hiring in any size business. I highly recommend its practicality and simplicity to help in the interviewing and hiring processes.
Josh Holtzman
My first book on interviewing skills. Lots of insight for the in-experienced interviewer, and real world techniques I'm excited to try out.
Hope Baugh
Practical tips and good philosophical food for thought for both sides of the interview table.
Judith
More useful for me but not as well written as the last one, still looking for what I need.
Mkrone
This was just okay. The other hiring books I've read are way better.
Kay
Good Resource book for interview question, approach, etc
Kristin Brey
Kristin Brey marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Nausherwan Ahmed
Nausherwan Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Varun Jain
Varun Jain marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Marlen Assmann
Marlen Assmann marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Lukasz
Lukasz added it
Feb 07, 2015
Sridhar Jammalamadaka
Sridhar Jammalamadaka marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
The Hub
The Hub marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Giovanni Ciacchella
Giovanni Ciacchella is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Le Hong
Le Hong marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Hitesh
Hitesh marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Publishes under both Martin Yate and Martin John Yate.
More about Martin Yate...
Great Answers To Tough Interview Questions Knock 'em Dead: The Ultimate Job Search Guide Knock 'em Dead Job Interview: How to Turn Job Interviews Into Job Offers Knock 'em Dead Resumes: How to Write a Killer Resume That Gets You Job Interviews Knock 'Em Dead 2002