Start by marking “Riptide (FBI Thriller, #5)” as Want to Read:
Riptide (FBI Thriller, #5)
Preview

Riptide (FBI Thriller #5)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  6,279 ratings  ·  206 reviews
Revenge and murder become entwined in this newly repackaged FBI thriller starring agents Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich by the "New York Times" bestselling author.
Published July 1st 2001 by Jove Books (first published July 10th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Riptide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riptide

Katrina Bergherm
The story could have been good, but the writing was horrible. I kept reading...for whatever reason...only to be disgusted by the cheesiness of the whole thing.
Adam Wilson
Did you all hear that massive thudding sound? That was me finally hitting rock bottom. Never before have I read a book so indescribably, savagely putrid as Riptide by

Catherine Coulter. It is interesting to begin by noting that Coulter previously wrote historical romances before deciding to crawl into the ever-expanding, ever-

excreting bowels of mediocrity by jumping on the band waggon of police procedural mystery/thrillers. In this terrible book, I found flaws on nearly every page. Sadly, I

was
Gina
Okay, much better than The Edge. The characters had more to them, they didn't seem flat like those in The Edge. The way she describes everything, if Riptide weren't fiction, I'd love to visit the place! I swear I could taste the salt from the sea, smell the fresh air. With more than one twist to her story, she kept me hooked. I sort of figured out a few things didn't 'jive', and sort of firgured out who the 'Boyfriend' could be, but it was the twists and how it got there that kept me hooked. As ...more
Merredith
Mar 09, 2011 Merredith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are already reading the series
Recommended to Merredith by: #5 in FBI Series
Shelves: adventure-action
This book was number 5 in the FBI Thriller series. I'm a big fan of that series, but somehow i never totally got into this one as much. Savich & Sherlock come in a little on the sidelines, and you get to see a glimpse of how their little boy is doing, but they're not really featured at all. The main character, Becca, is being stalked, and flees to a small new england town, Riptide. She actually ends up leaving Riptide by halfway through the book. There are some twists, but they're pretty obv ...more
Leslie
This was one of the worst books I have ever read. The story line is okay but the personal, cheesy dialog is intolerable. I recently read Tailspin by Ms Coulter and found it moderately enjoyable. Tailspin is one of Coulter's more recent books in the FBI series. Since I liked the characterization of Savich and Sherlock, I decided to go back and read another of her books with these characters. She has either matured in her writing since Riptide, or simply just matured. Maybe she now knows that no o ...more
Darcy
This one started out really good, but then started to drag out in the middle. It also seemed to me that they dragged out every cliche possible and put them in the story. I had a hard time believing in the romance between Becca and Adam, they were so blah, didn't hard even kiss until the last quarter of the book. Becca also seemed a little too calm for what happened to her. If I was stalked, I am not sure that I would just go with the flow. And what is with her gun skills, most people can't rando ...more
Pr Latta
[audio] More than a decade old, this title may suffer from aging. I spent a lot of time thinking, "huh? Surely the authorities would have done..." I do think one needs to be cognizant of the whole Cold War era mentality to even minimally buy in to the premise surrounding Becca's father. And I never did figure why the NY cop had such a dislike/distrust of Becca (may have just missed the connection -- I got distracted a lot). Mildly entertaining but certainly could be skipped in the series (though ...more
Judy Goodnight
A murderous stalker who called himself "your Boyfriend", disbelieving police, a strange Maine town whose streets are named after poisons, a skeleton discovered in the basement of a house, and ex-KGB agent sworn to avenge the death of his wife - just a few of the elements in this fifth novel of Coulter's FBI series.

The heroine, Rebecca Matlock, is allowed to get away with some stupid behavior. The sub-plot's denouement I saw coming from a mile away. Still, I enjoyed the cat & mouse game playe
Tom Tischler
Becca Matlock is a senior speechwriter for New York's govenor. She receives the
first in a series of deadly phone calls. These calls threaten her life and the
life of the govenor. The police refuse to believe that Becca's being stalked even
when the stalker kills to prove a point.Becca flees to a friends home in Riptide
Maine and it seems a sanctuary at first but soon Becca gets herself in a lot
more trouble. One of Catherine Coulters earlier books in the FBI series. A page
turner with a good story.
Rob1109
What do you say to a rapist? "Please stop, that's creepy."

About a year ago, I read my first Catherine Coulter book. It was...less than decent. I figured maybe she had an "off book" and decided to give her another shot to win me over. I picked up Riptide. After this, I will NOT try a third Coulter novel.

Where should I be begin?

For starters, I find the main characters, Savich and Sherlock, very boring, plain and bland. They are husband and wife who work for the FBI--together. I doubt the FBI would
Alyson
Blah. Got this from my MIL and read it when I didn't have anything else to read. Shouldn't have wasted my time. It was a murder/mystery/thriller - if you want to give it that much credit. Super predictable. Super Jack Bauer-ish, where people get shot a million times and still can come save the day. The bad guy in the story was a Russian spy - really? - have some originallity. Lame.
♥ Nell ♥
This one is one of my favourites! Love Becca & Adam. (view spoiler)
Paula Legate
Catherine is one of my favorite author’s. This book was ok, but does not compare to her book “The Maze”. I was happy that Sherlock, and Savich was brought back into this story. I love this series of Catherine’s FBI thrillers. Each book is a stand-alone, so you will not feel lost if you read the books out of order.

Rebecca Matlock was a speech writer for the governor. She started being stalked by a madman. The guy would call her, and say he was her boyfriend. Rebecca went to the police for help
Janene
I like to throw in a Catherine Coulter's mystery to my rotation of books, but this one seemed a little off for her. It seems like some parts of the book were not written whole-heartedly.
Jennifer Busch
Another "non-book". It has incredibly poor writing. Characters change their flow of conversation from one sentence to the next. The plot could have been good with a better author.
Alex Bonham

Jan 09, 2015 Alejandro rated it 5 of 5 stars · review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, favorites, novel, horror
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd ne
Melissa
Can you tell I'm on a
Coulter kick? :)
Deb
pitiful dialogue
Vanessa
This book is not one of her best, but I still liked it. It drew me in rather quickly and kept my interest. It's probably more like 3 1/2 stars, but hey, it's Catherine Coulter, one of my favorite authors -- I had to go in the positive direction.

She does have a lot of books that are better, and a few that are worse. But overall, if you haven't read her, I would definitely recommend it. I just wouldn't start with this one.

In fairness to those dissenters out there, I partially agree with some of t
Dotti Elrick
I liked this book much better than the last one.
Becca Matlock is a speech writer for the Governor of New York. She has a mother who is dying of cancer, her father is long dead and now she has her very own stalker. He identifies himself always as her "boyfriend", he insists she stop sleeping with the Governor, even though Becca has never even thought of the Governor in that way. He threatens to kill the Governor if she doesn't stop. She goes to the NYPD, they don't believe her.
After her mother p
Tiffeny
Hard to believe this is Catherine Coulter's 17th novel. It was just so poorly written. Cheesy dialogue, unbelievable story, predictable plot. It started off promising. I mean, the writing was bad from the beginning, but the story was fast-paced and interesting. It didn't take long for it to lose me though. It's also hard to believe the book has received 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. Coulter must have some real die-hard, long-suffering fans.

Just a few reasons why I thought it sucked:

1. Almost e
Carl Brookins

This is Catherine Coulter’s seventeenth novel. Take one stalker, one frightened speech writer, a vengeful spy, slipshod logic, lots of emotion including multiple murder and obsession and you get Riptide. Rebecca Matlock is being stalked by a male who seems invincible. Matlock can’t persuade the police, first in Albany then in New York City that she’s being victimized. On the contrary, police in neither city believe her. Nowhere in this setup is there any thought of tapping her telephone or even
Jess
As an avid mystery/thriller reader this book/storyline was so bad I find it offensive. I find it hard to believe that this author has dozens of books and apparently fans. It's almost like a trashy romance novelist decided to write a mystery and crapped this hodgepodge out, and for all I know about this terrible author that might indeed be the case. I bought several of her books at the goodwill for a buck/buck fifty apiece looking for a new author to read. 3 books in- what a waste of money!!! Fir ...more
Pattianne
Riptide - FBI Thriller #5 - Savich and Sherlock - ( Rebecca Matlock and Adam Carruthers [he is NOT FBI) - Rebecca writes a speech for the governor and becomes a victim of a psychopath. Becca Matlock, a senior speechwriter for the governor of New York, is at the top of her professional game when she receives her first phone call. "Stop sleeping with the governor or I'll kill him."

The thing is, she's not sleeping with the governor, but it doesn't stop the phone calls. The police stop believing her
Debbie
Rebecca Matlock new she had to get away so she went to a little out of the way town called Riptide. No matter how many times she told the police that someone was after her, they just wouldn't believe her. There seemed to be only one, Adam Carruthers, that not only knew she was telling the truth, but knew why. Is Adam and his men smart enough to figure out who it is before it is too late.

On the back cover of this book, Catherine Coulter challenges you to figure out the puzzle, I have to admit, I
Irene
Riptide is the fifth book in FBI series which I like very much and consequently I like this novel as well.

It's about a girl,whose father "died" when she was little and whos mother is dying of cancer. To make matters worth for her, she is stalked by a psycho, who's threatening people around her, and notjust threatening, but also doing what he tells her he would. Moreover, cops don't believe her and think she's crazy. So after her mother dies she flees the New York trying to hide somewhere at the
Hannah
Speech writer Becca Matlock is being stocked, but no one believes her. He has already killed an old lady who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and shot the governor through the throat. The only person keeping her around is her mother who is struggling to stay alive in the hospital, but when her mother finally passes away, she bolts leaving the NYPD and the FBI looking for her. But she doesn't care she is just trying to escape the psychotic stocker that no one believes she has.

S
Kathy
Suspense, light humor, mystery, intrigue, romance, scenic locations - and just the kind of book that holds me entranced while the world melts away..... Interesting that each book in the FBI series is so different - and addictive! I'll be onto number 6 today. Love these characters!!
Carolyn E
Another exciting story from Catherine Coulter. I love her FBI Thrillers. I am sure I have read most of these previously, but I don't remember them. So it's like rediscovering this series.
Pat
This twisted tale took a while to draw me in. I did get really interested in it and in who Becca Matlock was really dealing with. It is always good to encounter FBI Agents Savich and Sherlock again. Good story!
  • Impulse
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4)
  • The Whisper (Boston Police/FBI, #4)
  • Soft Focus
  • Don't Cry for Me
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Forbidden (Bartlett Brothers, #1)
  • Twice Kissed
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Scent of Danger

FBI Thriller (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • The Target (FBI Thriller, #3)
  • The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)
  • Hemlock Bay (FBI Thriller, #6)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
  • Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10)
  • Double Take (FBI Thriller, #11)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10)