The Comedy Bible: From Stand-up to Sitcom--The Comedy Writer's Ultimate "How To" Guide

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Judy Carter, guru to aspiring comedy writers and stand-up comics, tells all about the biz of being funny and writing funny in this bright, entertaining, and totally practical guide on how to draw humor from your life and turn it into a career.

Do you think you’re funny? Do you want to turn your sense of humor into a career? If the answer is yes, then Judy Carter’s...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Touchstone (first published August 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Comedy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Comedy Bible

Michael Lawrence
Jul 09, 2008 Michael Lawrence rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Judy Carter
Recommended to Michael by: Judy Carter
Shelves: comedy
I bought this when I first had aspirations to be a stand up comic. I also joined a comedy workshop and began writing jokes on a daily basis and doing the necessary steps on being a comic.

What i learned along the way is that funny is not something that can be taught. You either have chops or you don't. I also realized I had chops and comedic timing and that this book was really a waste of my time.

It is good to help you begin the joke writing process and to get into the mind set of being a comedia...more
Ken
This is how-to, written more than ten years ago, has great advice for starting comics. Comedy styles change, and the blueprint might be aging, but it is invaluable help to a comic who wants to become a stage performer after getting laughs from friends and family. It still works to improve a starting comic's material.

There is a formula. Judy Carter explains it, and why it works. She provides examples of work done by well-known comedians that illustrate the formula. She guides you how to find your...more
Andrew
Jul 15, 2008 Andrew rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring comics
I read this book before I started stand-up and I really only got one good tip from it: Start doing stand-up. I followed the exercises, writing jokes on index cards, etc, but never used them. To this day I don't think I have used any of the jokes I came up with from that book. This book might be useful to some people, but I guess my 'comedy style' is different. I think this book glosses over some of the unpleasant things a new comic can expect to encounter on their comedy experience.
Kristi
While I can certainly respect Ms Carters success as a writer and teacher of comedy, her how-to guide is scattered and self-conflicting. Her focus seems to be cleaning up and dumbing down, rather than developing a unique creative voice. I'll pass.
Isman
May 16, 2008 Isman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comics and humor writers
It's like a saying in the game Guitar Hero, "If you want to make a song titled 'The Rock Anthem', you'd better be damn sure."

Ditto with a book titled, "Comedy Bible."

Guess what? Judy Carter was sure as hell. And she delivers. This book is (almost) everything what it claims. It provides step-by-step instruction on what to do to get your routines and gig.

It might get too formulaic in the process. But like the old boxing saying, you need to learn the ropes, before start dancing in the ring.
Kate
yeah, this one is good. really detailed, step-by-step on how to do stand up and how to do screenplays. she's a little too "you must do it my way or else" and i've heard critiques that this book among others encourages formulaic standup. but she knows her shit, and really helps break it down into understandable ideas.
Ray Charbonneau
The first section, where sh'e writing about how to be a standup, is pretty good. The next part, where she writes about script writing and other things you can do in the comedy business, not so much. The final section, where she gives ideas on how to make a living at comedy, is good but fairly superficial.
Truthcansuck Goring
Oct 26, 2007 Truthcansuck Goring rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring Comics
Shelves: contemporary
This book is invaluable for anyone wanting to understand the process of putting together a routine. Actual exercises intended to culminate in a stand-up routine to perform in front of an open mic audience makes this one of the better resources an aspiring comic will read.
Kurtbg
This book was a great resource for introducing to the beginner how to craft comedy. The author breaks the process down and provide roadmaps to honing the comedy and how to get your laughs out there.
Dave Riley
Really this has to be a standard work. Reliable. Practical. Full of quality q wisdom. ...with exercises! I've read and studied it three times already.
David
Details a program for creating a stand-up comedy routine. If that is what you want to do, just follow the instructions.
Paul Hart
Jun 08, 2009 Paul Hart is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Helping me think about joke writing and order. Some great tips about getting started in stand-up.
Peter Henk
Very well written.
Very inspiring when you are entering this field......
Donna
Recommended for anyone involved in public speaking.
Joshbgosh
I liked the exercises she provided.
Anita Ikpefua
Anita Ikpefua marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Emily Forest
Emily Forest marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Nathan Benmargi
Nathan Benmargi marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Evelyn Peppas
Evelyn Peppas marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Alexey
Alexey marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • The Comic Toolbox: How to Be Funny Even If You're Not
  • Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It
  • The Cauldron of Fear (Lone Wolf, #9)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Darksword Adventures
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Manual of the Planes
  • Monstrous Manual
  • Monster Manual II
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1)
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living
  • Gullivera
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
Stand-Up Comedy: The Book The Message of You: How to Inspire and Motivate Audiences with Your Life Story and Get Paid The Homo Handbook The Message of You: Turn Your Life Story into a Money-Making Speaking Career Eat to Live: Vegan Before Six: Vegan Cookbook