Start by marking “Only In His Dreams (Only Forever #1)” as Want to Read:
Only In His Dreams (Only Forever #1)

Only In His Dreams (Only Forever #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  333 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Shy, conservative Darrell Lincoln has worked hard to get his job as billing manager for the law firm of Anderson, Llewellyn, and Stevens. For a conscientious worker like Darrell, the job is perfect except for one thing. He has a big-time crush on one of the partners, Travis Anderson. Darrell thinks a gorgeous, wealthy, hotshot lawyer like Travis would be interested in a gu ...more
Published April 16th 2010 by Amber Quill Press, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Only In His Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only In His Dreams

Drew
Apr 13, 2010 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My Friends
Recommended to Drew by: She's my favorite author
This book was terrific! It was refreshing to see nice guy Darrell win the prom king! I loved watching Darrell overcome some of his insecurities and take a chance with the handsome and successful Travis.
I loved this book and I can't wait for Barnaby's story.
Erotic Horizon
I have been awaiting Shawn Lane’s next production for the past couple of months and once again she has delivered with ONLY IN HIS DREAMS.

ONLY IN HIS DREAMS is the first of what will be a series of four books revolving around a team of solicitors, other professional people and their eventual partners. This first book is Darrell’s and Travis’s story and the blurb more or less sums up a big chunk of the book.

Darrell and Travis works in the same Law offices and while Travis is a partner in the busin
Elisa Rolle
This is a really nice office romance, simple, light and easy, but really enjoyable. Darrell is a shy and a bit geeky guy working as accountant for a law firm; while he has a good relationship with all four lawyers working for the firm, with on of them in particular his shyness seems to stop him to further their acknowledge, Travis is simply too handsome and successful to being interested in someone like Darrell; then there is also the interracial nature of their relationship, even if Darrell has ...more
ElaineY
May 05, 2010 ElaineY rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so glad I decided to try another Shawn Lane. I did not like Perfect Man nor At Long Last (though I preferred it to PM) and though I'd bought a few more S's, they were languishing at the bottom of my TBR.

The Only Forever series is very much lighter than the other titles (not sure if those are 'singles') and I took to the characters easily. These gay lawyers may be too good to be true but heck, I knew that when I started reading.

I liked Travis and was glad to see the shy Darrell capturing Tr
Danielle
Aug 01, 2010 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a light, easy read that wasn't too long. For me, that was a good thing. I'm afraid that I thought this book was too mushy. I know that it's romance and we all like love and feelings, but I think the dialog went a little overboard. There were times when I would be reading and thinking "Seriously?". It prevented me from getting into the story.
Brenda (b)
Nov 05, 2010 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 1-ebooks, 2-2010-read
I enjoyed reading Darrell and Travis's story. They were both so tentative, I was happy that one of them finally made the first move.

Now on to read the rest of the series.
Janna
This was an okay read but my least favorite of the Only Forever series. It’s Travis and Darrell’s book which is a romance-at-work story that I found a bit vanilla in the smexing department. Theirs is an interracial relationship with no angst, it’s nice and light, but without a proper HEA or HFN ending because there’s no exchange of the ‘I love you’s if I remember correctly. It’s a good set-up for the rest of the series in which we see the other characters again – getting their own romantic love ...more
Serena Yates
Jul 28, 2010 Serena Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
I really liked this story of the shy number cruncher Darell who has a crush on his boss, Travis.

When Darell finally notices that the interest may be mutual, the relationship can start. There are other obstacles to overcome, and I thought the balance between the challenges they face and the description of their growing emotions was just right. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Alina
Feb 19, 2012 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely and sweet story :)
I really liked both guys and although I was pissed at first at why Travis would back down right away, just when Darrel's mother said so, but later on it was explained and resolved really fast, so I'm okay with it :)
Tam
Apr 01, 2010 Tam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Darrel, an accountant, has been crushing on his boss Travis, a partner at the law firm since he started but figures he’d have no chance. Finally, one fateful night due to a broken down car they spend some time together and with the help of the machinations of Trevor’s flamingly gay secretary they start a relationship. Everything is going great for a few weeks when they go for dinner with Darrel’s Mom. She is not thrilled her son is gay but is really put off that Travis is white. Travis is then w ...more
Cindi
May 06, 2012 Cindi rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, series, 2012
While I didn't exactly DISLIKE this, I didn't love it either. Darrell was a little much for me. Supposedly very shy but when I really expected him to be, he was anything but. It was too much of a personality change too quickly in my opinion. I liked Travis a lot until toward the end of the book. He's the confident attorney but yet he doesn't communicate at a time (with Darrell) when he really REALLY should have. Of course it was all resolved and it ended okay but still.

Not a bad read. Just not a
Lily
This is a sweet easy read and a nice start to a four part series. Travis and Darrell work in the same office, one as a lawyer and the other in the billing department. They have outwardly different personalities and the added complication of one being white and the other black. There's a bit of angst with Travis having suffered painful losses in his life but they're able to work towards a nice happy ending. Likable characters and an interesting storyline combined to make this a nice, quick read.
Ami
The story is sweet and cute enough. I liked it. The only thing that bothers me a bit is Darrell's character, who said to be shy and usually have problems in social-dating scene suddenly becomes the aggresive with Travis. True he says that he only does that at home, but I feel like a change in character too fast. Still, I'd like to read book #2
Shelby P
Oct 20, 2013 Shelby P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, inter-racial
For a short novella I really enjoyed this story. I have to look into more Shawn Lane books, I like the diversity in them. I like that Darrell was sorta nerdy and unsure that he could get a hottie like Travis. I could relate to Travis' lonely life. The only thing I didn't like was Darrell's interfering mother but it was resolved well.
Deeze
Jul 04, 2012 Deeze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty sweet little story. Felt a little rushed at the end. I don't expect a lot from short reads but I do get disapointed when a plot point is raised and solved in a few sentences, in this case the Mother issue, not sure why it was mentioned other than to pad the word count out a little. But apart from that it was a nice gentle read.
Clerah
May 14, 2010 Clerah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _own, ebook, m-m
I liked this book. Quick contemporary read of an interracial relationship (b/w) between lawyers.

Karen
Aug 27, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
A cute story, but the writing was very straight forward, very dry. There was sex but little steam.
melek
Nov 16, 2013 melek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shawn-lane
Darryl fallen for his boss Travis feels the same and one night of dinner turns into more.
Elspeth
May 30, 2012 Elspeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Not a bad story about 2.5 stars, curious if the later books get better.
Gale
Gaa-chan
Tailtiu
3,5*
Karla
Karla rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
skvw
skvw rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
jacquelene c davis
jacquelene c davis rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Adanielle
Adanielle rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2015
  • A Realistic Romance
  • Perfect Ten: A Going for the Gold Novel
  • Left of Centre
  • Letting In the Light
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
  • Pets, Book 1: Sparking
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Discovery (Wranglers, #1)
  • Self Preservation
  • Reckless Heart (Reckless, #4)
  • And a Smile - Season One (Roughstock, #2)
  • Finding Chandler (Solitary Knights of Pelham Bay, #1)
Shawn Lane writes erotic gay romances and believes love and passion know no boundaries. Happily Ever After is for everyone.

In the past she has written heterosexual romances (see her backlist) but is now concentrating on gay romances.

Shawn lives in California and holds down a boring day job in a legal department of a giant corporation dreaming of the nights and weekends when she can create new sto
More about Shawn Lane...

Only Forever (4 books)
  • Only For Him (Only Forever, #2)
  • Only His Heart (Only Forever #3)
  • His One And Only (Only Forever, #4)