Start by marking “Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll: The Life Of Ian Dury” as Want to Read:
Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll: The Life Of Ian Dury

Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll: The Life Of Ian Dury

The biography of the late, great self-made Essex lad, Ian Dury. For this book Dury co-operated with author Richard Balls who has produced a vivid portrait, illustrated with many photographs from private collections.
Paperback, Revised edition 2011, 352 pages
Published 2011 by Omnibus Press (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll

Pete daPixie
Feb 28, 2012 Pete daPixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who dig sex & drugs & rock'n'roll
Shelves: poptastic, biogs
Well, the first thing I think is that the title of this book is incorrect. Goodreads displays it as 'England's Glory'. My book is titled 'Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll'. Wiki goes with the latter title. Whatever Trevor, this biography of the life of Ian Dury by Richard Balls, published 2000, is a very well researched and classic rock biog.
He arrived on the crest of the 'New Wave' genre of music in Britain in the late seventies. Fronting his band The Blockheads, Dury's persona was the hard ma
F.R.
Jul 21, 2009 F.R. rated it it was ok
I’m not sure what kind of impact Ian Dury really had outside the UK, but certainly by the time of his death he was a national treasure in this country. The way he sang/spoke his incredibly good cockney-slang lyrics, coupled with his unique stage presence (he was crippled by polio at a young age) made him a true one-off.

Unfortunately there’s nothing so exciting about this book. ‘Pedestrian’ is probably the best word to describe it. The plodding prose moves neatly from one event of Dury’s life to
Lee Battersby
Nov 29, 2011 Lee Battersby rated it liked it
A thorough investigation of Dury's adult life, with frustrating gaps where the author fails to follow a number of threads to their logical conclusion-- Dury's minders, for example, of which so much is made throughout the book, simply disappear. I had to take to the net to find out what had happened to Fred 'Spider' Rowe, who simply ceases to be mentioned after a while, which is not what i want to do when reading a biography.

As an insight into the life of a person who can best be remembered as a
Andrew
Mar 07, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
I first began this book about seven years ago and just couldn't get past the first few chapters. It seemed bogged down with too much background information that I wasn't bothered about (just how far in someone's ancestry do you have to go to reveal the person they became?). However, picking it up again and ploughing through my initial reservations led to a fascinating - warts 'n' all - account of Ian Dury and his life in music. Irascible and likeable yet sometimes aggressive and disturbing, Dury ...more
FiveBooks
Mar 01, 2010 FiveBooks rated it it was amazing
Film director Mat Whitecross has chosen to discuss Richard Balls’ Sex & Drugs & Rock’n’Roll: The Life of Ian Dury , on FiveBooks (http://five-books.com) as one of the top five on his subject – Film Directing, saying that:

“… When I started the film the only thing that was available was Richard’s book, which luckily is very good. It’s 500 pages and it goes into lots of details, which was difficult for me as a film-maker because we were trying to make a 110-minute film. So we decided to ch
Pjebsen
This well-researched biography is indispensable to anyone who had the pleasure of enjoying the multi-faceted talents of singer, songwriter, painter, actor, author Ian Dury. I still would have preferred a more objective view - Richard Balls clearly is a major fan of chief Blockhead Dury. I just ordered "Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography" by Will Birch ... let's see whether he does an even better job.
Don Wilton
Over indulged and wealthy middle class young man = well practiced, manipulative, egocentric, determined professional-cockney opportunist. A great reminder of my (not, in my opinion) misspent youth. Loving Awareness transformed into Blockheads.
Alex
Dec 12, 2010 Alex rated it really liked it
A solid biography of an unusual life. It doesn't gloss over his bad side either. Dury could be a nightmare to live and work with, and this is covered in detail here. A must read for any fans of Ian Dury and The Blockheads.
Don Wilton
Trish
Nov 24, 2012 Trish rated it liked it
Pretty good review of Ian's career. Highlights his flaws honestly. A bit too detailed at times but generally an interesting read.
Angela Reeves
Jun 24, 2015 Angela Reeves rated it it was ok
a bit dull
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2010
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Eddie G.
Eddie G. rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
David Holroyd
David Holroyd rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012
Luci
Luci rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Nicholas Mead
Nicholas Mead rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Tessa Brown
Tessa Brown rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Andrew Fox
Andrew Fox rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Martin Mcnair
Martin Mcnair rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Simon Binning
Simon Binning rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Nicola Jfs
Nicola Jfs rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
ljp
ljp rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2011
Denis Collins
Denis Collins rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
R.B.N. Bookmark
R.B.N. Bookmark rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Nikki Ratzko
Nikki Ratzko rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015