Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll: The Life Of Ian Dury

Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'roll: The Life Of Ian Dury

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The biography of the late, great self-made Essex lad, Ian Dury. For this book Dury co-operated with author Richard Balls who has produced a vivid portrait, illustrated with many photographs from private collections.
Paperback, Revised edition 2011, 352 pages
Published 2011 by Omnibus Press (first published September 1st 2000)

Pete daPixie
Mar 06, 2012 Pete daPixie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who dig sex & drugs & rock'n'roll
Shelves: biogs, poptastic
Well, the first thing I think is that the title of this book is incorrect. Goodreads displays it as 'England's Glory'. My book is titled 'Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll'. Wiki goes with the latter title. Whatever Trevor, this biography of the life of Ian Dury by Richard Balls, published 2000, is a very well researched and classic rock biog.
He arrived on the crest of the 'New Wave' genre of music in Britain in the late seventies. Fronting his band The Blockheads, Dury's persona was the hard ma...more
F.R.
I’m not sure what kind of impact Ian Dury really had outside the UK, but certainly by the time of his death he was a national treasure in this country. The way he sang/spoke his incredibly good cockney-slang lyrics, coupled with his unique stage presence (he was crippled by polio at a young age) made him a true one-off.

Unfortunately there’s nothing so exciting about this book. ‘Pedestrian’ is probably the best word to describe it. The plodding prose moves neatly from one event of Dury’s life to...more
Lee Battersby
A thorough investigation of Dury's adult life, with frustrating gaps where the author fails to follow a number of threads to their logical conclusion-- Dury's minders, for example, of which so much is made throughout the book, simply disappear. I had to take to the net to find out what had happened to Fred 'Spider' Rowe, who simply ceases to be mentioned after a while, which is not what i want to do when reading a biography.

As an insight into the life of a person who can best be remembered as a...more
FiveBooks
Film director Mat Whitecross has chosen to discuss Richard Balls’ Sex & Drugs & Rock’n’Roll: The Life of Ian Dury , on FiveBooks (http://five-books.com) as one of the top five on his subject – Film Directing, saying that:

“… When I started the film the only thing that was available was Richard’s book, which luckily is very good. It’s 500 pages and it goes into lots of details, which was difficult for me as a film-maker because we were trying to make a 110-minute film. So we decided to ch...more
Alex
A solid biography of an unusual life. It doesn't gloss over his bad side either. Dury could be a nightmare to live and work with, and this is covered in detail here. A must read for any fans of Ian Dury and The Blockheads.
Trish
Pretty good review of Ian's career. Highlights his flaws honestly. A bit too detailed at times but generally an interesting read.
Paul
Paul added it
May 27, 2014
Livb
Livb marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Grant
Grant is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2013
Kaliska
Kaliska marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Sunhill
Sunhill marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Stevie
Stevie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
John
John added it
Dec 08, 2012
Ian Dury: Sex & Drugs & Rock 'N' Roll Be Stiff: The Stiff Records Story Sex And Drugs And Rock'n'Roll: The Life Of Ian Dury (Paperback Edition)