Start by marking “Rachelin loma” as Want to Read:
Rachelin loma

Rachelin loma (Walsh Family #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  44,800 Ratings  ·  1,127 Reviews
Meet Rachel Walsh. She has a pair of size 8 feet and such a fondness for recreational drugs that her family has forked out the cash for a spell in Cloisters – Dublin’s answer to the Betty Ford Clinic. She’s only agreed to her incarceration because she’s heard that rehab is wall-to-wall jacuzzis, gymnasiums and rock stars going tepid turkey – and it’s about time she had a h ...more
Published 2003 by Tammi (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rachelin loma, please sign up.

Kasey Vaughn Yes. Each book in this series not dependent on the other. They are specifically about the main sister and whatever she's going through in the book.

Rachel C.
I picked this up thinking, "Great - a fun book about a girl named Rachel who goes on vacation." Except not so much. Turns out, her "holiday" (view spoiler); Marian Keyes is terrifically funny and she makes Rachel a sympathetic character and narrator.

The first person point of view is expertly employed to hide certain things from the reader, revealing th
Marie
I waffled between five and four stars for all of ten seconds before deciding on five, simply because of my sheer inability to be rational about this novel.

I fell in love with Rachel, and I have no idea why. If I hadn't picked this up at a library sale when my impulse control was at it's lowest, I wouldn't have it at all. There's literally nothing about this book, from the cover, to the genre, to the jacket copy to make me think I'd enjoy it, or that it was my kind of book. Because it really isn
Apr 18, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, april2008
This book was as awesome as I expected, based on Krystal's high praise of it. Watermelon was pretty good, but this was way better. I'm not sure if it's better than Lucy Sullivan though. I haven't read the author's essays apecifically about her alcholism, but I can only assume that she drew on some of her own experience with addiction to write this. It's fascinating to experience the transformation of Rachel with Rachel. To learn things as she learns them, to see her experiences through her eyes. ...more
Jayci
Mar 10, 2008 Jayci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whatever Mairan Keyes is selling....I'm buying. Rachel's Holiday was wonderful and touching. It is a talent to take subjects that are so seriouse and bring laughter and humor to them. What a quirky, fun sense of humor Marian must have. This book delved into the world of addicts. It was honest, insightful, and very human. I felt a great attatchment to Rachel (the heroin). I would laugh with her, and then find myself crying over her heartache. I think I understood her. She had a lot of similar fee ...more
Jayne
Jul 10, 2012 Jayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
(From my book blog)

I really hate the term “chick lit,” don’t you? It is utterly dismissive and totally misleading. Take a look at this book cover. It looks like chick lit. It was written by a woman. IT MUST BE FLUFFY AND RIDICULOUS, RIGHT?

No. No it is not. This book is devastating. I know she wasn’t the first one, but I blame Sophie Kinsella and her godawful Shopaholic books with their stupid pink covers for starting the whole chick lit thing. Have I mentioned that I really fucking hate those b
Philippa 'Nef'
This book was not at all what I was expecting... I thought it would be light, fluffy and trivial and what I got in reality was a horrible glimpse into the mirror of addiction and saw myself staring back.

Rachel's Holiday follows 27 year old Rachel who lives in New York and parties like there's no tomorrow... until there almost isn't one. She's shipped off back to Ireland by her loopy family, where she finds herself in a drug treatment centre.

I found this to be an unexpectedly good read on many l
Miko
May 13, 2008 Miko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marian Keys is the novelist that I turn to for my fluff novels. Her books are fun, mindless, silly and sometimes shallow and I guiltily eat them all up!
This one was different.
It had the same qualities the other ones did, but this one, whether intentional or not, set itself apart from her other books.
It has been years since I have actually read this book but it left an impression on me. Maybe it’s because I went into it with such low expectations as far as depth or content, I can’t be certain.
Wicked Incognito Now
Jul 27, 2010 Wicked Incognito Now rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wicked Incognito Now by: Vered
This was not the light chick lit read that I was expecting, and as I started reading it, and getting more and more IRRITATED by this character's addiction and denial and self-destructive behaviour....I thought that I HATED this book.

However, I actually quite loved it. First of all, I have no sympathy for addicts and I am not even shameful about that. I was raised surrounded by addicts. I find the behaviour selfish and irresponsible and just altogether frustrating. I spent my childhood by myself,
Nina
Oct 30, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I think Marian Keyes is probably the most underrated author in the chick-lit section.

My first book by her was "Lucy Sullivan is getting married" and it took me 2 attempts to finish it. From there, enjoying "Rachel's Holiday" was easy. It's by far my favourite Marian Keyes book. If you've never read anything by her, I suggest starting with this one. If you don't like it, I would think chances are slim you will change your mind reading the rest of them.

Rachel's Holiday is Marian Keyes at her best.
Bex
Jul 21, 2010 Bex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Rachel's Holiday was one of the best books I've read in a very long while. It was one of those books that leads you to a place in a very humorous way, and then offers you the chance to review your own life in a way you might not have before. Rachel has just accidently overdosed, ended up in the hospital, and been railroaded by her family, roommate, and boyfriend into treatment. She can't believe that they think she has a problem, because, of course, she doesn't. Watching her come to grips with w ...more
Rainbow
Jan 20, 2010 Rainbow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is both my first Marian Keyes book AND the first book I've read on an e-reader. Both experiences get five stars.

First of all, Marian Keyes. I never would have picked this book up off the shelf. The cover practically promises it's going to be stupid. But it isn't! Like, not at all. It's smart and funny -- really funny -- and really, really romantic. Especially for a rehab story.

I can't think of a love story I've enjoyed this much or one that struck me as so mature. (Maybe because I keep rere
Rowena
Nov 29, 2007 Rowena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While MK writes in her usual hilarious manner, this novel touched on the very serious topic of drug/alcohol addiction. It was interesting and most definitely entertaining but I felt that she pigeonholed Rachel's character to an irritating degree. The psychological analysis of Rachel's childhood was far too pat and I didn't believe that she could so readily accept her tenure as an addict. I enjoyed this book mainly for MK's typical sharp wit and rollicking anecdotes but overall I believe that thi ...more
Quintin Merwe
Aug 06, 2011 Quintin Merwe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite of all the Marian Keyes books I have read thus far! It is truly amazing to see how all her characters go through the toughest times or sometimes find themselves in the funniest situations. The best being when both emotions happen in the same scene!
The story line is once again done brilliantly, from start to finish. Her books have become synonymous 'glued to the hands with butt on the seat' gut wrenching, tear jerking (because of the funny bits) and riveting brilliance.
Jenna
May 29, 2009 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended as a future book in my book club. We were looking for a light read. All the reviews showed this was about Rachel in rehab and did not sound light hearted at all. There were also no English copies in the Zürich library. You never thought that might be a problem to find a book and not want to buy it or share one copy between 10 women, did ya ?

So, we decided on a different book. The next week I spotted this at my favorite English book store and did not put it down for the
Michelle
Aug 27, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Rachel Walsh's family sends her to what she believes is an exclusive rehabilitation center, but it doesn't turn out to be the vacation she'd dreamed about.

I think the most difficult thing about this book was the fact that I didn't care about any of the characters. Rachel, the drug-addicted twenty-something, was a mess. I pitied her, but I didn't care about her. Neither did I bond with any of the other patients in the treatment center. As much as Rachel claimed that her boyfriend Luke, was an ama
Faith
Nov 25, 2011 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2002-2004, 2011
First I thought Rachel's Holiday was a shallow book, because Rachel was so shallow in the beginning of the book. Just like an other Bridget Jones, just that she takes drugs on top of everything else. That is, she was a woman who cared about nothing but men and her looks.

Well, but Marian Keyes certainly managed to get some depth in her book. The book developed as Rachel developed. In the beginning I thought just like Rachel that the putting of her in a rehab center was some kinda mistake. I thou
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Dec 15, 2015 Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads by: Nenia Campbell

RTC.
Ria Lize
Jul 31, 2012 Ria Lize rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-cry
I just wanted to read romance.

Romance. You know, in that care-free chick-lit way, since I've had dissatisfaction towards the ending of other books recently.

Okay. You probably don't trust me. I've been throwing 4 and 5 stars around like it's Christmas. But I feel it's like Christmas, because I've suddenly been opened to a whole new genre that's not UF or PNR, and suddenly, everything is new and fresh and wonderful.

So did I get romance with Rachel's Holiday? Not really- not in the way I wanted. In
Ruth Asdisardottir
This is an interesting book. I think it descripes addiction pretty well in a sense. But on the other hand, I find it a bit shallow at times as the author seems to display every addict as some kind of a crazy stereotype who doesnt want to accept that he/she is an addict. All kinds of people are addicts and a lot of people also enter rehab, well aware of that they have a serious problem, that their lives are in ruins and are ready to change. Not everybody is in there against their own will and doi ...more
Sharon
Apr 04, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book so many times, marian writes about serious subjects and yet manages to inject humour into each serious situation and who better than the Walsh family, lots of Irish sisters each with their own traumas (see other books) and upsets supported by an amazing Irish mammy who cant cook and has her own amazing wit! And a daddy who just wants a bit of peace but has no chance of getting it! The walsh's are the type of family we all probably have or wish we had! Rachaels story tackles ...more
Mississippi Library Commission
We think Marian Keyes' writing is fantastic. Rachel's Holiday is by no means just a chick lit book; it offers so much more. An Irish ex-pat is whisked back home to go to rehab. Marian Keyes' research into addiction and recovery was excellent. We learned so much (as does Rachel!) Humor and life lessons abound in this engrossing read.
Thomas Strömquist
One of the many things that makes Marian Keyes stand out is that she is basically a 'humor'-writer (and even a 'feel-good'-writer I guess) that is absolutely best when dealing with difficult subject matters. The second "Walsh"-family book deals with the middle sister Rachel's substance abuse problem (not that she knew that she had one) and the enforced "holiday" back home in Ireland to help her get her life in order after a hectic New York stint. Funny, captivating and wonderful.
Redfox5
Could have done with being about 200 pages shorter. Second book I've read about the Walsh sisters. The other one was better. Did feel like I'd read this before but if I had then it didn't make much of an impression on me. I was cheering Marian for not ending the book in the way you expected but it was short lived as this was before I'd read Epilogue. It does end like you expect it to. Not the worst chick lit book in the world but there are much better ones out there.
Siobhan
I’ll start by saying I was not aware that this was part of a series. It was a free eBook on my iPhone so I decided to give it a go. That being said, it works perfectly fine as a standalone book so you do not need to worry about reading the other books. What I have come to understand is that the series is about a dysfunctional family and each book tells the story of a different child, with no real suggestion towards the other books (or at least, this one had no suggestion towards the other books) ...more
Jenn Flynn-Shon
May 03, 2012 Jenn Flynn-Shon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sep 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, british
As I mention in my review of another Keyes work, I read the Sullivan books out of order, and, as a result, may have developed a slightly different sense of the characters. This may have coloured my view of this book.

I had two main complaints about this novel. First, to a great extent, the theme has been beaten to death since going into rehab became chic. If Sandra Bullock has made a motion picture about something, it is not new. (Don't get me wrong, I love her, but "edgy" she is not.)

Second, I
Jeane
Jun 29, 2009 Jeane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my third book written by Marian Keyes. This time the daughter of the Walsh family that it is all about is Rachel. She lives in America and is a drug addict, just that she doesn't realizes it yet. When one morning her flatmate doesn't get her awake and she ends up in hospital, stomach emptied....and her boyfriend, sister and flatmate telling her that she is going home, to Dublin in Ireland where she hasn't lived four eight years.

I thought this would be the worse of the three because the
Rurae
Mar 25, 2013 Rurae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is brilliant. One of my top ten books of all time.

It's kind of unfair to call this 'chick lit' really but that's how its categorised most of the time but its doing the book a disservice.

Rachels Holiday - looks like a generic chick lit, light summer romance but its not. Its actually a story of addiction and rehab. A very funny, heartwarming story of addiction and rehab.

Keyes has a brilliant knack of taking serious situations and subjects and turning them into warm, witty reads that d
Quentin Feduchin
I was in my 'chick-lit' phase when I read this book back in 2011.

I think this is one of the best the Marian Keyes wrote, although she writes such good stuff it's difficult to separate them. She is so perceptive.

The main character is living in New York and got into some really bad habits. So she gets into trouble (I've forgotten the detail) and ends up 'back' in Ireland, believing she's going to some kind of holiday area, but it's not..

And thereby hangs a tale. Very well worth reading, and very m
Yolie Gachelin
May 27, 2014 Yolie Gachelin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I sat down and open this book. The next thing I know I read the whole entire book. I laughed I cried and I totally enjoyed. It is not just about being an addict, but the process in which Rachel went through to find herself and to understand herself that touched me the most. Even if you are not an addict of some kind, there is a great lesson you can learn from reading this book. Not only that, you would enjoy the pleasure of reading such a well written book by Marian Keyes! Excited to read more o ...more
Goodreads Librari...: please add alternate cover 1 26 Oct 09, 2013 06:40PM
  • Ready or Not?
  • City Girl
  • The Friendship Test
  • Amanda's Wedding
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...

Walsh Family (6 books)
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • The Mystery of Mercy Close (Walsh Family, #5)
  • Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family (Walsh Family, #6)

“You've recognised a fundamental feature of an addict's life. Maintaining your habit is so important you've no real interest in anything else.” 39 likes
“They say the path of true love never runs smooth. Well, Luke and my true love's path didn't run at all, it limped along in new boots that were chafing its heels. Blistered and cut, red and raw, every hopping, lopsided step, a little slice of agony.” 17 likes