Start by marking “A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)” as Want to Read:
A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)

A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie #7)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Alan Lewrie is now commander of HMS "Jester," an 18-gun sloop. Lewrie sails into Corsica only to receive astonishing orders: he must lure his archenemy, French commander Guillaume Choundas, into battle and personally strike the malevolent spymaster dead. With Horatio Nelson as his squadron commander on one hand and a luscious courtesan who spies for the French on the other ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by McBooks Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A King's Commander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King's Commander

Mike (the Paladin)
So, second Alan Lewrie book I've read (back to back) this week. I like these books and wish I could give them a bit higher rating. I'm sure others will but for me every time Alan leaves his ship the story slows to a crawl.

Alan has received his first command here and having received promotion to Commander (one epaulet only). Of course being a commander instead of a "Post Captain" (at that time when a man was given a Captaincy his name was "posted" in the London Gazette) two guns were taken off hi
Don Casto
Another great tale . . .still a little awkward reading around non-English dialects for me, but I am horribly language challenged. My challenge with this book continues to be keeping an accurate image in my mind as ships maneuver at sea . . .sometimes I can see it, sometimes I cannot. The key seems to be starting any maneuvering sequence knowing which direction each vessel is headed. I keep hoping to find maps . . .as my imaginary ones sometimes become very raveled.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
M_latimer
I thought this was one of Lambdin's best. Always a good read. Wouldn't be right without a couple of doxies along the way.
Justin
Not as memorable but Lewrie does meet Nelson when the latter was still a captain.
Eytan Yammer
Eytan Yammer is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2014
Robert
Robert added it
Dec 07, 2014
James Scofield
James Scofield marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ernesto Oporto
Ernesto Oporto marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol added it
Kari Salokas
Kari Salokas marked it as to-read
William Pontarelli
William Pontarelli marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Sorin
Sorin added it
Oct 29, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Original Publication Year 2 26 Oct 01, 2012 02:18PM
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • For My Country's Freedom (Richard Bolitho, #23)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1) The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3) The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2) The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4) The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)