Start by marking “The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)

The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  35,546 Ratings  ·  1,534 Reviews
The bestselling author of The Surgeon returnsâand so does that chilling novelâs diabolical villain. Though held behind bars, Warren Hoyt still haunts a helpless city, seeming to bequeath his evil legacy to a student all-too-diligent . . . and all-too-deadly.

THE APPRENTICE

It is a boiling hot Boston summer. Adding to the cityâs woes is a series of shocking crimes, in which w
Published August 20th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Apprentice, please sign up.

Emily The author recommends reading them in order. Please refer to her comments in her own blog here: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/what-is-.... I read my…moreThe author recommends reading them in order. Please refer to her comments in her own blog here: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/what-is-.... I read my first one out of order, then decided to come back and start with #1. Now I've read #2, and I do agree that these should be read in order as the plots and characters continue to develop, and past events are referred to extensively (at least in book #2).(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Damien This book is self contained... you'll know who did it

Paula
A new serial killer has come to Boston and Detective Jane Rizzoli is called to the latest crime scene when there are similarities to a former case she worked on which resulted in the capture and arrest of Warren “The Surgeon” Hoyt. Hoyt is now in prison, so these latest murders must be the work of a copycat. Then Hoyt escapes and it seems he’s now joined forces with this new killer, The Dominator.

This book was enjoyable enough, but disappointing as well. I was looking forward to reading about Th
Carolyn
Jul 09, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the serial killer known as the Surgeon behind bars, Detective Jane Rizzoli can breathe easy and get on with her life. Or can she? When a murder victim is found with his wife clearly tortured and abducted, there is a chilling signature of the Surgeon's work and perhaps a hint that he is not entirely finished with Jane.

A very creepy, thriller which manages to raise the tension to the max without a host of murders. An excellent follow up to The Surgeon and an introduction to forensic pathologi
May 24, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of the Rizzoli & Isles tv show and with the fall hiatus, I decided to start reading the actual books. Full disclosure, I skipped The Surgeon (#1 in this series) because, honestly, Maura Isles is not in it. Sorry. Not interested.

I can definitely tell you, if you've watched the tv show, you can jump into this book first without any problems. The changes that were made for the tv show are, in my opinion, fairly minor in terms of characters and their relationships to each other (fo
Raíla Soares
Apr 07, 2010 Raíla Soares rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished reading The Surgeon, I was way too excited to put my hands on the next book of this series and read it. Unfortunatelly, I only could do it months later, but I did it well. I read The Apprentice in one day and a half. This rarely happens! I have seen that it's only a sugestion for you to read the series in order. I don't think so, though. I believe I wouldn't have understood it well if I haven't read The Surgeon first.

This second one is basically a sequel for The Surgeon. The "new
Daisy
This is the second book by Tess Gerritsen that I've read. I must say this was as good or better than The Surgeon.I'm addicted to this series and I will be reading all of them.

Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

My Review - 2 1/2 Not my cup of tea

What a total let down, I cannot believe this was written by the same author, The Surgeon was almost perfection in my mind, so to get a total boring, what was the point follow up was beyond disappointing.

This read like a debut, repetition continuously. I understand the details needed for those that didn't read The Surgeon but even if you didn't it became insanely unnecessary.

There was no mystery to me in this book, so The Surgeon escapes from prison
Kaisu
Sep 11, 2016 Kaisu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ein reread, der sich definitv gelohnt hat :)
Quike
Mar 21, 2016 Quike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cerrah'daki heyecan aynı şekilde devam ediyor. Bütün programlarınızı iptal edip tamamen kitaba yoğunlaşacağınızdan eminim. .Kendinizi olayların içinde hatta çoğu zaman Rizollinin gergin ruh halinin içinde buluyorsunuz.
Liz
Aug 10, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Punk
Nov 20, 2011 Punk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, ebook
Thriller. The serial killer known as the Surgeon is back to menace Boston Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli, but Rizzoli is way too stubborn and angry to let him get away with that for long.

The first book in this series really pissed me off. Its portrayal of rape and gender was completely offensive and the clumsy writing and unsympathetic characters only made the problem worse.

Gerritsen corrects some of those mistakes in this book. For example, the text does a better job of distinguishing between
Boof
After reading the utterly brilliant first book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon, I couldn’t wait a single second more to get stuck into the next in the series. I hoped it would be every bit as good……and it was! Infact, as I write this I am half way through #8 in the series (never before have I read any single authors books back-to-back until now).

The Apprentice is the moniker given to a new serial killer stalking wealthy couples in Boston, a killer who has a strikingly simila
bookaddict
Jul 13, 2016 bookaddict rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 MÜKEMMELDİ.
Kitap o kadar akıcı ki,ne zaman elime aldım,ne Zaman bitirdim anlayamadım.Yine çok zekice kurgulanmış bir kitaptı.Tess yine hayal kırıklığına uğratmadı.Yazar tıp bilgisini sonuna kadar kullanmıştı bu arada kitapta.Ama yine de cerrah kadar ürkünç,rahatsız edici bir kitap değildi.Daha çok katilin psikolojik yönleri aktarılmıştı okuyucuya.Ve bu da benim çok hoşuma gitti.Karakterlere daha çok ısındım bu kitapla.Polisiye/gerilim seven herkese tavsiye ediyorum.
Natalie
Dec 07, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's summer again, and a new body's been found just outside of the Boston precinct. Korsak calls Rizzoli, believing as she does this has something to do with the Surgeon--even though he's behind bars. Even though she knows he's behind bars, the way everything is laid out at the crime scene convinces her that he's involved somehow.

Too bad no one else believes that. Convinced Jane is obsessed with the Surgeon, Special Agent Dean of the FBI tries to get her removed from the case. But even when thei
D.C. Menard
Apr 13, 2011 D.C. Menard rated it really liked it
Just like the surgeon, The Apprentice kept my attention the entire way through. Which I was actually quite surprised about, considering Jane Rizzoli, the main character of the series, was one of my least favorite characters in The Surgeon. I went into this book worrying that I wouldn't like it because of my dislike for the main character. Instead, by showing us more about her, and letting us into her head for the entire book, rather than the snippets of the last one, I grew to respect her, and m ...more
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Neide Parafitas
Dec 18, 2012 Neide Parafitas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2012, own
Mais uma vez a cidade de Boston volta a ser acometida por crimes hediondos que deixam os seus habitantes absolutamente aterrorizados!!

As vítimas são casais abastados e enquanto a esposa é torturada, o marido é obrigado a assistir! O modus operandi é bastante semelhante ao do "Cirurgião", o que leva a crer que é este o culpado! Mas o "cirurgião" está preso e não há qualquer possibilidade de que tenha sido este a cometer estes crimes.

Assim sendo, só há uma explicação... "O cirurgião" tem um admira
Ayustika ( ThatBibliophicCauldron )
May 08, 2016 Ayustika ( ThatBibliophicCauldron ) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/Thriller buffs
I went into this book with the expectation that it will be as good as "The Surgeon". But I was really disappointed. Even though this story had the double package as in The Surgeon teaming up with his Apprentice, it just fell short somehow. Tess Gerritsen's explanation of the medical procedures involved is vivid and leaves little to the imagination. The pace of the story was fast but after completing the story, I couldn't help thinking that it had the potential to be so much MORE. Maura Isles fin ...more
Ömer
May 04, 2015 Ömer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5

Fuardan bu kitabı alırken standdaki görevli kitaplardaki hikayelerin birbiriyle bağlantılı olmadığını, sırayla okumasam da bir şey olmayacağını söylemişti. Aslında öyle değilmiş, yan, tam olarak değil. Tamam yepyeni bir olay da oluyor ama aynı zamanda ilk kitaptaki katil geri dönüyor ve kitap boyunca ilk kitaptaki olaya da atıflar var.

Yorumun tamamı için:

Nihan
Nov 08, 2012 Nihan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
doğum günümde oturmuş kanlı bıçaklı katilleri okuyorum çok beğendim bu seriyi ama bazen dialoglarda o kadar yabancı terim oluyor ki siniri bozuyor
Tintentraeume
Als Polizistin hatte sie sich immer in der Rolle der Kämpferin gesehen, der Jägerin. Nie hatte sie sich vorstellen können, einmal selbst das Opfer zu sein. Aber jetzt musste sie feststellen, dass sie sich genau wie ein Opfer verhielt, ängstlich und misstrauisch wie ein Kaninchen, das wartet, bis die Luft rein ist, ehe es sich aus dem sicheren Bau wagt. Sie, die immer so furchtlos gewesen war, sah sich jetzt gezwungen, nervöse Blicke in alle Richtungen zu werfen, bevor sie aus dem Wagen stieg. Si ...more
Bookberry
Oct 06, 2016 Bookberry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thriller years and I had so much fun reading it and want to read more of this genre now. It was a good story, thrilling and I liked the characters. I want to meet Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles very soon again.

Mein erster Thriller seit Jahren und jetzt möchte ich mehr davon lesen. Tolle Geschichte, spannend und interessante Charaktere. Freue mich schon aufs Wiedersehen mit Jane Rizzoli und Maura Isles.
Silvana
O Aprendiz foi o primeiro livro que a Denise me enviou este ano para o nosso projeto conjunto do Empréstimo Surpresa.
O ano passado estreei-me com esta autora também por conta da Denise e foi uma leitura que adorei. Esta conseguiu superar a leitura anterior, ou seja, ainda gostei mais deste livro do que do anterior.

Este livro traz-nos de volta a detetive Jane Rizzoli assim como o criminoso do livro anterior. Foi como se entre eles dois ficassem algumas pontas soltas, alguns elos de relação que
Siobhan
Feb 15, 2016 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the Rizzoli and Isles series, and the book where Isles makes her debut. Isles doesn’t play the biggest of roles in this book but we finally get to meet her, something that will please anyone who was confused (or disappointed) by her lack of presence in the first book.

As with the first in the series, The Apprentice has a great storyline which will keep you entertained throughout. With great characters from the first book and new interesting characters you will be on the edg
Lynn Spencer
3.5 stars This is part of the Rizzoli and Isles series, but be warned: If you're expecting the books to be like the TV show, you're in for one heck of a surprise. The characters don't bear too much resemblance to their TV counterparts and there's definitely less humor woven into the story. I knew this going in so it wasn't so much of a jolt for me but I could see some being a bit surprised.

This book follows after the action in The Surgeon, and we find Jane Rizzoli on the track of a new serial ki
TheGeekyBlogger
Jan 28, 2012 TheGeekyBlogger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Purchased: Purchased Audiobook from Audible

What I Loved: This was the 2nd book in this series and it was firing on all cylinders. From beginning to end, the case was intriguing and chilling. Perhaps the best part of the book was the continuation of the story between the Surgeon and Rizzoli. It was wonderful to watch the story unfold from both of their perspectives in a unique, emotional, and raw way. I won't give away any spoilers but I will say that the story takes ma
Matthew
Jan 08, 2017 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

A KILLER WHO KNOWS HIS TRADE.

HE'S LEARNED FROM THE BEST...

Where does evil come from? Why does its stain never vanish?

What happens when one serial killer joins another?

The Apprentice doesn't exactly answer these questions with definitive answers, but it sure as hell plagues the reader's mind with dark guesses. Following on from The Surgeon, Tess further stabilises her unforgiving world and solidifies the personalities that populate it. Everything is sharper.

With cutting continuity and
Andrew
Sep 13, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good and enjoyable book but I definitely did not enjoy it as much the first one in the series. I think for the following reasons:
1) At times there was too much detail, obviously Tess Gerritsen is from a medical background and there is too much detail at times that can slow down the pace and get in the way of the story.
2) I don't particularly find Rizzoli a likeable character, she presents too many barriers for me, the reader, to like her, although I can understand her.
3) I miss Moore,
Simon Jenner
I read 'The Surgeon' before this and enjoyed it and I wondered where the author would go from there. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this as, whilst the main character continued to be fleshed out, the rest of the book was very 'samey' and never really took off for me.

I was especially disappointed with the ending, which for me was wrapped up far to quickly and conveniently and seemed like it had been rattled off to get the book finished. All of the 'samey' build up resulted in a
John
Jul 17, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Isles makes her first although brief appearances in this the second of the Rizzoli and Isles series. It is a year after Detective Jane Rizzoli's encounter with the serial killer known as The Surgeon and it still haunts her. She is called in on another murder when detectives find aspects of the crime similar to details in the Surgeon case. It is soon apparent that another serial killer is active in Boston, but this one is stalking couples. They call him The Dominator because he likes to bind ...more
Stacey
I prefer to read series books in order, however, my local library didn't have the 1st book in the Rizzoli series on audio CD so I waivered and went ahead with The Apprentice. I had already listened to another book in this series and it didn't matter that I hadn't read the previous ones.
The Apprentice, however, constantly refers to events and characters in The Surgeon. I didn't feel lost or that I couldn't understand the full effect of what was going on, but rather, I felt like there were secret
The Better Book C...: Rizzoli and Isles: The Apprentice 2 3 Sep 13, 2015 11:42AM
The Women's Myste...: The Apprentice (#2) 7 26 Apr 04, 2013 07:56AM
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10; Minneapolis, #1)
  • Le Serment des limbes
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)

“Some people make choices hoping for the best; Korsak had made a choice simply to avoid the worst.” 7 likes
“Society thinks of violent acts as manifestations of evil or immorality. We're told we have ultimate control over our own behavior, that each and every one of us has the free will to choose not to hurt another human being. But it's not just morality that guides us. Biology does as well. Our frontal lobs helps us integrate thoughts and actions. They help us weight the consequences of those actions. Without such control, we'd give in to every wild impulse.” 5 likes