Start by marking “Hauntings And Heists (The Mysterious Four, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hauntings And Heists (The Mysterious Four, #1)

Hauntings And Heists (Mysterious Four #1)

Can you crack the case with six clues or less?
Welcome to Moon Hollow, where mystery lurks around every corner--and four kids have come together to solve crimes and puzzles big and small.
Whether they're debunking sea monsters, thwarting bullies, or revealing who threw out mom's asparagus, Viola, Sylvester, Rosie, and Woodrow will figure out the truth in six clues or less.
Published May 1st 2011 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Hauntings And Heists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hauntings And Heists

Dan Poblocki
Feb 24, 2011 Dan Poblocki rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
This is the first book in The Mysterious Four series. I'm really excited to share this one! One thing I learned while writing this book is that coming up with mysteries that people can solve along with the characters is actually really difficult -- sort of like juggling.

Of the fourteen mystery stories, there should be something for everyone... River monsters, haunted houses, swindles, psychics, and thieves.

It was lots of fun creating these characters and putting them in creepy situations. Look f
Joy
Jun 20, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2011-reads
I enjoyed the stories the kids shared and solved together. There was so much variety to the kinds of mysteries they encountered. I really appreciated that the clues are all there and readers can discover the answers along with Viola, Sylvester, Rosie, and Woodrow.

I presumed this would be a more straightforward, linear narrative where I got to know the characters more directly rather than through their mystery stories. That doesn't make this style bad- it's just different from my expectation.

You
Julesmarie
Fantastically fun! The characters are likable, the "mysteries" are fascinating and realistic and delightfully varied.

My favorite thing: that the questions the kids are asking themselves as they go about solving their mysteries are printed in bold and followed by a page break so the reader can attempt to solve along with The Question Marks.

I'm delighted I picked up two copies of this, that way I can keep one for my classroom library!
Claire
Great book for the fourth grade set! Viola has just moved to Moon Hollow and is lucky enough to find 3 bright, inquisitive friends right away. The kids create a club called the Question Marks, they meet regularly and tell each other about the day to day mysteries they find and use questions to solve them. Each chapter ends with a question for the reader to solve.
Lots of fun.
I think it would read aloud just fine in classrooms and families.
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
Good reading for middle-graders on looking beneath the surface of life, of learning observation and deductive thinking. Some wisdom here for adults, too-we're never too old to learn these skills, nor to understand the value of pooling resources and that sometimes others have parts of the puzzle to add.
Wendy
Mar 12, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
Read this with my 12 year old so that she could take an AR test on it at school. It was a cute little book. A group of four new friends solve various mysteries around the neighborhood. It was fun trying to figure out the clues. I would probably recommend this for ages 9 or 10.
Marge
Aug 16, 2011 Marge added it
Shelves: jfiction
fun read - each chapter a new mystery for the four to solve - who threw the vegetables in the trash?
Mel
Oct 29, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was a very good book with all the descrpitstion... also beacause i love mysterys.
Brandy Dugger
Jun 19, 2014 Brandy Dugger rated it really liked it
Great story for young readers. The mini mysteries really help kids be aware of the things going on around them.
Andrew LaNeve
Andrew LaNeve rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
nazha likes bagels
nazha likes bagels rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Jastin
Jastin rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2014
Kaye Byard
Kaye Byard rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2011
Shayla
Shayla rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2014
Domenick Minnoia
Domenick Minnoia rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Zanebaity
Zanebaity rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Hanifa Q
Hanifa Q rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Quynh
Quynh rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Louanne
Jan 11, 2015 Louanne rated it really liked it
I LOVE Poblocki, but prefer the older characters such as in Ghost of Graylock and Night Marys
Gloria
Gloria rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Iara Ofamen
Iara Ofamen rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Unusual Mind of Vincent Shadow
  • On the Blue Comet
  • Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)
  • Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch
  • Stay: The True Story of Ten Dogs
  • The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance (Candle Man, #1)
  • The Red Lemon
  • Ghost of a Hanged Man
  • Benjamin Franklinstein Lives!
  • The Shadow Guests
  • Tower of the Five Orders (The Shakespeare Mysteries #2)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)
  • Ghosts!: Ghostly Tales from Folklore
  • President Squid
  • Ghosts Don't Get Goose Bumps
  • The Haunted House
  • The Yggyssey: How Iggy Wondered What Happened to All the Ghosts, Found Out Where TheyWent, and Went There
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
Author of The Stone Child, The Nightmarys, The Ghost of Graylock, and the Mysterious Four series,The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, and The Book of Bad Things.
More about Dan Poblocki...

Mysterious Four (3 books)
  • Clocks and Robbers (The Mysterious Four, #2)
  • Monsters and Mischief (Mysterious Four, #3)