Tomb With a View (Pepper Martin, #6)

Tomb With a View (Pepper Martin #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Cemeteries come alive for amateur sleuth/reluctant medium Pepper Martin.

Cleveland's Garden View Cemetery is hosting a James A. Garfield commemoration. For tour guide and reluctant medium Pepper Martin this means that's he'll surely be hearing from the dead president himself. And when she's assigned to help plan the event with know-it-all volunteer and Garfield fanatic M...more
Published July 6th 2010 by Berkley Books (first published May 26th 2010)

Carl Brookins
Pair one of our less interesting presidents, James A. Garfield, with a cute slender, sexually aware, private detective, cum medium, and what do you get? You get this delightful cozy mystery, one of several in Casey Daniel’s series of Pepper Martin adventures.

But be warned. If you don’t like a bad pun or two, several tongue-in-cheek jokes and a huge riff on one of the presidents of these United States, this delightful novel isn’t your cup of tea.

On the other hand, if your humor runs to the mildly...more
Julie H.
While the story was clever (i.e., it centered on a credit-card fraud/identity theft ring making use of one of the mausoleums at Pepper's cemetery), I was extremely disappointed at how dumbed down Pepper was in this book. In past books we've learned that our material girl was an art history major, that she'd become accustomed to the finer things in life but had been taken down a notch after her father was indicted and subsequently incarcerated for fraud. That said, the little jabs about her lack...more
Rene Arnush
I enjoy the Pepper Martin books. The cool-fashionista-caught-in-a-dorky-job thing is funny, her snarkiness is rather appealing, and trying to deal with ghosts that only she can see or hear while not getting committed is worth a giggle...but this one just didn't hold up to the previous books. For one thing, Pepper is not the deepest(although she has a good heart). In fact, at the beginning if she was a puddle you could walk through without getting water on the top of your shoes. Slowly, though, t...more
Tresa da BookNerdette
Amy
Mobi/Paranormal Mystery: I think I skipped a book along the way because I apparently missed some aspects of Pepper's crazy life. I've like her since the beginning of the series. She is a fashion diva trapped in a polo shirt while solving crimes in the greater, spookier, Cincinnati area. In this one, you learn from the beginning that one of Pepper's co-workers has been murdered. She is an obnoxious woman who Pepper can't stand, but Pepper, being Pepper, can't help herself. She is bound and determ...more
Kristin
The Pepper Martin books are always enjoyable and quick reads. In the latest addition to this series, our favorite Garden View Cemetery guide is charged with partnering with cemetery volunteer Marjorie Klinker to plan a celebration for the 179th birthday of president James A. Garfield, who is buried at the cemetery. Unfortunately for Pepper, Marjorie is an annoying know-it-all Garfield junkie who believes, despite what history says, that she is a descendant of the assassinated U.S. president.

When...more
Myhotstylist
Never let it be said that Pepper Martin cant solve a murder case.

In this 6th installment, Pepper is now solving the murder of one of the living, and using the help of the dead to aide her.

After Marjorie Klinker, a cemetary volunteer, is found dead after being pushed over a stair case, Pepper and Ex-beau Quin go neck and neck to solve the crime. Disliked as she was, Marjorie was determined to prove she was related to the former President Garfield, and was a hardcore collector of his memoribilia...more
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter"Cemetery tour guide and reluctant medium Pepper Martin is always up for some fun that doesn't involve seeing and talking to dead people. So a gig commemorating a dead president can only mean good times are not ahead..."

How do I start to describe Pepper Martin? She's spunky, fun, confident, smart and always fashionably up to date. Just ask her, she'll tell you. Not only is Pepper all of these things, but she is also aprivate investigator fo...more
Jenia
Vickie
Oh, how I love Pepper Martin. She'd be the coolest chickie to be friends with just with her weensie snarky personality, let alone her ginchy ability to talk to ghosts.

I feel for her, as snarky as she can be, she's not mean spirited (pardon the pun). The woman she has to work with, Marjorie, is a real piece of work. If it were in me to do so and I knew someone like Marjorie, I'd assist her over the rail too. Marjorie is so well written, I was smacking the book after one of her supercilious tirade...more
Sharon
I am not an eloquent reviewer, but I do know when I read a great book. I have read all the Pepper books and they keep getting better. I love the way Casey Daniels writes. It flows, it's engaging and you really can get into Pepper's head. I am normally not a mystery fan, but paranormal mystery is fun! Throw in a little romance and I am in heaven. Pepper butts heads with Quinn (ubercop, uberhot, just uber) she is always getting involved in his murder cases or maybe he just keeps getting mixed up i...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Paris
I really enjoy fluffy mystery novels like these. Ones where the protagonist is light, fun and interesting, she isn’t perfect, but she’s also not TSTL. I especially enjoy them when the mystery isn’t too easy to figure out. The books in the Pepper Martin series are fun, perfect summer reading with just the right amount of love interest, intrigue and mystery. As much as I love books like this, I don’t think I would ever own them unless given to me as a prize in a contest or as a present. But I defi...more
Yodamom
Quinn, What is your problem ??? Such and hard headed stubborn man. Well Pepper, gets the hard side of Quinn in this edition of the series. She is trapped in another murder investigation and is once again in danger herself. Quinn just wants her to be safe little women, so not Pepper. First the ghost will not leave her alone and second she now has a stalker and third, somebody at the cemetery was murdered. Her ghost of the moment is President Garfield and he's a very interesting ghost, a lot of hi...more
Erin
It was good. As a Canadian who didn't know who President Garfield was, it was interesting, but a little heavy on the presidential stuff.

I still enjoy Pepper as a somewhat flawed, but still fully entertaining character. I enjoyed the return of Scott, even though I typically don't like love triangles. Daniel's seems to be handling this love triangle quite well.

I did find a couple of things in the ending contrived and one character horribly stereotypical and unbelievable. I ended up skimming those...more
Lisa
Another fun Pepper Martin book! Pepper's attitude improved as this book went on, and it was a great step for the character development. Before you begin this book, Wikipedia the Garfield Memorial to get an idea of what it looks like. Also check out Garfield himself and specifically his assassination. Daniels doesn't give much background on the president and it's helpful to know what happened to him. I loved that we met the ghost of a little-known president. Both the main conspiracy (ridiculous!)...more
E.
Pepper's picture taken at the end of the last book showed that President Garfield hangs out near his memorial building. That way, he is present when Pepper is tapped to assist one of the most despised volunteers to plan the commerative celebration for the former President. This is complicated when the volunteer (and Garfield fanatic) is murdered and Pepper's out to beat ex-lover Quinn's in solving the case. Complicating the situation is the stalker who is still leaving reminders of his presence...more
Jan
Pepper is not happy. For one thing, she is manless since she broke up with Quinn, her policeman beau. And now she has been assigned to work on the Garfield, as in President Garfield, commemoration with the most annoying volunteer the cemetery has, Marjorie Klinker. But when Marjorie turns up murdered in the Garfield memorial, Pepper knows she must solve the mystery. And this time she is getting presidental help.

I love this series. Pepper is lots of fun and the mysteries are pretty good. I do rec...more
Michelle
Enjoyed this book along with all the other books in this series because I live in the area where the stories take place and enjoyed the authors depiction of the neighborhoods and the people Pepper interacts with. The author captures the essence of the people and places quite well, even with her need for a little poetic licence. Having visited the cemetery and monument the story describes last summer added a personal touch for me. will continue to read Peppers adventures when ever I get a chance.
Amanda
Pepper is an awesome character!

I really like the way the story turned around at the end and the ghost saves her from her stalker, thus giving James the closure he needed to move on.

I was disappointed about Jack, I was even more disappointed that he got away... hopefully one day he will come back to see Pepper and he will be caught and prosecuted.

I wish that Dan would reappear already, I think Pepper needs him in her life.

I can't wait to read the next book in this series!
Wendy
I hate writing a review for this series. I am so wishy-washy about it. I really don't like Pepper at times. She is very shallow and annoying. Then she does something to redeem herself in my eyes, for a little while. I am enjoying the mysteries in this series more and more. The characters still need some work. I don't like most of the main characters, like Pepper and Quinn. lol But I will keep reading and ultimately that is what the author wants, I would guess.
Selena Lang
I like the premise of these stories, but I am getting kind of tired of the main character. she seems a bit of a ditz - I prefer smart women over ditzy any day - and she seems to be concered with nothing more than good clothes and shoes. She complains about how she hates her job, hates to do the investigating etc. Drives me crazy. I like the stories themselves, but I am having a hard time actually liking or relating to the heroine.
Deb
President James A. Garfield is the ghost in question in this Pepper Martin murder mystery. I have to say that the ghost did not seem much like my impression of the man (based on Sarah Vowell and on The Destiny of the Republic). He was a little too self-important and stuffy for the first two-thirds of the book. But Pepper is her usual feisty self and the murder victim was deliciously obnoxious. This one was worth an afternoon.
Melodie
Really enjoyed this one! I was pretty sure who the killer was, but there was a whole lot more going on in this book. Pepper's dealing with the ghost of President James Abram Garfield, Quinn's still being a shit and her stalker's still lurking around. How much can you have on your plate at once! This is a favorite series of mine and this is almost as good as my favorite in the series, TOMBS OF ENDEARMENT.
Amelia-Irene
An interesting series, that I usually chuckle through. It's interesting to have a cementary worker who can see and speak with ghosts who have something that needs to be resolved before they can pass on. Sometimes that resolution also involves clearing up a current murder and that is what usually happens when Pepper Martin starts to see a ghost. An interesting concept in this series.
Jan Aldergate
It was entertaining enough - I'm not a great fan of the supernatural, but this was light hearted and not taking itself seriously. Cute heroine, and lots of humor. I picked this up at the Buckeye Book Fair, mainly because it was about Cleveland and a mystery, and enjoyed it. Don't know if I will read another one though.
Jenn
This is the type of mystery that I consider fluffy. It is a mystery, but it doesn't require a lot of thought process. The mystery was solved sort of easily but it was still a nice read. It had lots of President facts with a twist.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was my favorite of the series. Pepper is beginning to really find her stride in it. The mystery was very well presented and I was interested in the actual and fictional history given.

My regret is having to wait for the next one.
Brenda Kirton
Pepper Martin is such a fun read. The mystery was great, I didn't guess who the murderer was until the end. And I learned some about President Garfield. ( I'm Canadian. I don't know a lot about the US presidents.)
Kimberly King
Much better than the previous volume! I actually learned a lot about President James A. Garfield from this book; it was an interesting read both in plot and historical tidbits the author put into the story.
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • Paint it Black (Sonja Blue, #3)
  • Dead Bolt (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)
  • Make Me a Match
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #5)
  • Silent Night, Haunted Night (Nicki Styx, #4)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • Dressed to Slay (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #1)
A pseudonym used by Connie Laux, A.K.A Miranda Bliss and Kylie Logan.

A couple years ago I applied for a part-time job as a tour guide at a historic cemetery not far from where I live. Why? Well, aside from the fact that the job would force me to step away from my computer and remind me that there was a life beyond writing (even in a place where just about everybody was dead), I love cemeteries.

No,...more
More about Casey Daniels...
Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin, #1) The Chick and the Dead (Pepper Martin #2) Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin #3) Night of the Loving Dead (Pepper Martin #4) Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin #5)