The Berenstain Bears and the Truth

The Berenstain Bears and the Truth (The Berenstain Bears)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  5,071 ratings  ·  65 reviews
When Brother and Sister Bear accidentally break Mama's favorite lamp, their little lie grows bigger and bigger, until Papa Bear helps them find the words that set everything right again....more
Published September 12th 1983 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Truth

Kids Are Americans Too by Bill O'ReillyThe Berenstain Bears and the Truth by Stan BerenstainThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinFarm Friends by Julie Aigner-ClarkThe Berenstain Bears' New Baby by Stan Berenstain
Worst Children's Books
2nd out of 36 books — 18 voters
Corduroy by Don FreemanBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneLittle Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Bears on Bookcovers
28th out of 134 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth F.
Aug 21, 2009 Beth F. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Liars
Recommended to Beth F. by: My Mom
My sister and I are both fully grown now but I am 2.5 years older than she is and when we were kids, I told her whoppers every chance I could. For example, one time I told her that the scientific word for your knee was the word anus. And gullible kid that she was, she believed me.

One day while we were riding our bikes, she wiped out and skinned her knee. It was just a surface scratch and nothing serious, but there was a little bit of blood and as anyone who’s been a kid on a bike before knows, s...more
Robert Moushon
Berenstain, S., & Berenstain, J. (1983). The Berenstain bears and the truth. New York : Random House.

Characters: The Berenstain Bears - Brother Bear, Sister Bear, Papa Bear, Mama Bear. A voyeuristic mockingbird.

Setting: Bear Country, a big tree housing the Bear family on just an ordinary day.

Themes: Family, Rules, Lying/Honesty

Genre: CSULB ETEC 545 Class 3, ETEC 545 Motif, Lying Motif, Picture Book

Summary: It’s a “nothing-exciting” day in Bear Country. Brother and Sister Bear are bored in t...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Truth by Stan and Jan Berenstain
When left alone inside, there's no tellin' what Brother and Sister will do. They think for a bit, and can't agree, until they come to the conclusion, soccer in the house is a good idea. This can lead no where good, so when something gets broke, their solution, lie. But what starts as a little lie, grows very fast. The lesson learned is you can't have trust, when lies are involved.
Sam Gaume
The Berenstain Bears always have a great lesson intertwined in their stories and this one is extremely important: the truth. The cubs break a lamp and lie about what happened to it. When they try and cover their tracks their lie grows bigger and bigger until it is too hard to keep up. Mother knows that the cubs are lying and eventually tells them that she did not even care about the lamp, she just wanted them to tell the truth. This is an important lesson to teach children. Parents should stress...more
Tracy Poff
The Berenstain Bears and the Truth tells how Brother Bear and Sister Bear tell a lie, and come to learn that they should always tell the truth, because, as the book says, “trust is one thing you can’t put back together once it’s broken.”

The story opens with Brother and Sister Bear sitting at home, doing nothing, and bored. Sister Bear suggests some things they could do, but Brother dismisses her ideas. Annoyed, she accuses him of being in love with the soccer ball he’s been holding. Incensed, he...more
Tionna Dorsey
"The Berenstain Bears and the Truth" by Stan and Jan Berenstain is part of the picture book collection. The married couple has won many awards in the area of children's literature, including the Ludington Award. The age recommended for this book is 4-7 years old (P)Primary.

"The Berenstain Bears and the Truth" is about a family of four bears, including a mama bear, papa bear, brother and sister bear. The brother and sister bear is disobeying the rules and starts playing soccer throughout the tree...more
Tamara
Summary: This book from the Berenstain Bears series is very important. We see the Berenstain Bears dealing with the cubs lying. Every time they tell a lie, it seems to come back on them. Telling the truth is an important lesson for children to learn, and the young readers are able to see the Berenstain Bears learn that lesson.

Written by Stan Berenstain
Published in 1983 by Random House Books for Young Children

Recommendations/Awards: none

Audience: Read together or read alone: grades K-4

Genre:...more
Rashanda Ravenel
This is another great book to share with students because the lesson will be important forever. I can connect right away because my mother and I are constantly telling my sister that it is hard to believe anything she says because she is caught in lies so much. There is a lot of body language that can be discussed with students as well as body parts. I would follow this book by reading The Boy Who Cried Wolf.
E
I remember enjoying this one a lot. The bird transforming with every reincarnation of the whopper was brilliant.

Every story that teaches children not to lie displays the folly of changing your story too many times for it to sound plausible. However, as a young reader this only made me disappointed in the main characters for not being slick enough to get away with it. I went away thinking, if I ever lie, be sure to keep my story straight and then I'll never get caught.

Instead of teaching kids no...more
Mckinley
A Brady Brunch episode : mom always said never play ball in the house after a lamp is broken. Same here.
Swasti Tripathy
No matter how you hope, no matter how you try, you can't make a truth, out of a lie.
♥ Sarah ♥
Age: ?
Lesson: Telling lies destroys the trust loved ones have in you.
Purchased: 99 cents from eBay
Crystal
very cute story about telling the truth!
Chester Richmond
This book deals with the classic scenario that is created when children are left alone. Parents hope that there children will be obedient, safe, and considerate in their abscense. They often return home to find something broken. Once something is already broken a new dilemma forms: will your children lie to you or tell you the truth about what they did?

In a classroom this could promote trust and teach the class that telling the truth is always beneficial and lying will only make things worse.
Natalie Ulm
I really liked this book. It teaches the importance of being honest. I think this is a great way to teach children a very important social skill. It is also very family oriented. It is very easy to understand and the pictures are great. I love Berenstain Bears. Good lessons for everyone, young and old!! I recommend this for teachers and parents. I read it to my almost 4 year old daughter, and she understood the "moral" of the story and wanted to read it over and over and over!!
Elizabeth Mcdonough
This book does a great job of showing the story through the illustrations. I think this book could be a used to teach children about making predictions. Brother and Sister Bear accidentally break their mom's favorite lamp. They tell a small lie that ends up getting out of hand. They finally realize that telling the truth will make everything write again. The book teaches the students a lesson and it can be used to teach students about the main idea of a fiction book.
Lita
This book is about the bear cubs that were playing ball in the house and broke Mama Bear's favorite lamp. The kids then try to lie to cover up their bad actions. When they had to repeat their lie to Papa Bear, they couldn't remember how the lie went the first time, so they got caught in the lie. The underlying theme is that if you lie, you will get caught. Also, once you have broken trust, it is difficult to rebuild that trust.
Nivi Krishnakumar
This is a great book to read for understanding sequencing. This book is also a great book to do a character study activity since there are a lot of Berenstain Bears books. I think students will enjoy these books because they are fun books to read and listen to. This is also a great book to explain why telling the truth is important. This concept is hard for kids to grasp, but this book does a good job explaining it in a fun way.
Kimbely Fletcher
When Brother and Sister Bear accidentally break Mama's favorite lamp, their little lie grows bigger and bigger until Papa Bear helps them find the words that set everything right again.

I really enjoyed this book because it teaches a moral issue to the children I would use this book to teach about the importance of telling the truth in the classroom. I would use this book in a thematic unit about good choices.
Kelsey Black
The Berenstein Bears are a series of books that kids love to read. They are always teaching a new moral or lesson that kids should know. This book is great for ages 1st-4th grades.
Devan
Nov 28, 2013 Devan added it
This was another one of my childhood favorites. I love this book because it is a fun one for kids but also because it teaches young kids a good lesson, which is to tell the truth. I also like this book because it is a picture book but it is a little longer of a picture book so it is good for an older reader. All of the Stan Berenstain books are very well written books with good lessons for kids.
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 9th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. I love the message of this book about trust and honesty. It's kinda unrealistic how brother and sister bear confess so quickly. I think this book teaches that it's not necessarily horrible to make mistakes from time to time but it is horrible to lie about it. Often times the lie is more hurtful than the actual offense.
Emily
I'm sure all children have been told not to kick/throw/hit/toss/etc a ball in the house and this shows the perfect reason why adults say that. When Brother Bear breaks Momma's favorite lamp he and Sister spin a wild story about what happened to keep from getting in trouble. Eventually the truth comes out and the importance of telling the truth is explained.
Laura Carby
This book is a great way to teach students about the importance of always telling the truth. I always tell my students that it's a lot easier to tell the truth up front then it is to wait and tell the truth later on. The consequences are worse when the truth doesn't come out and you find out from someone else. You might as well tell the truth upfront.
Sarah Kasper
I think every child can relate to this story about getting caught in a lie. Hopefully they learned it was better to tell the truth, but if they didn't, "The Berenstain Bears and the Truth" will hopefully teach that lesson. This is a great story to share as a whole class or with those certain students that you see telling "stories."
Stacey
Love this book. It teaches students how to take responsibility for their actions. It shows students how lying can get out of control, and most times students will forget the lie. So, instead of going through that it encourages students to always tell the truth no matter what. This book can be used for all ages. Includes lots of humors.
Angela
My kids and I think this series is great. All these books have been read many many times in our house. Good at introducing values and social situations to the kids. There were a few very early books that portrayed the dad as a big doofus, but we stay away from those. All in all, a dependable, solid series.
Megan Rowland
The Berenstain Bears are a classic! The book called The Truth is a book full of the moral honesty. If you are noticing that students in your classroom arent being honest with you or their peers this is a good book to read. Read this book to them and have an activity to where they have to tell at least one truth.
Caroline Petty
Berenstain bears books are great because children can relate to them and they teach an endless amount of life lessons. The truth in particular is good, because when we can show our students that honesty is a big part of respecting everyone in our class, we have a much more unified school experience.
This is a good book about telling the truth when you do something wrong. It also tells students that telling the truth can be a good when it is really important. It would be good if you had an issue come up in the classroom.
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • Clifford's Birthday Party
  • Where's Waldo?
  • The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV