Start by marking “Teen-Proofing Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager” as Want to Read:
Teen-Proofing Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager

Teen-Proofing Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Parents can protect toddlers--with their maximum mobility and minimum logic--by pasting plastic on electrical outlets and putting poisons out of reach. But protecting teenagers is not so simple, says family psychologist and author of Raising a Nonviolent Child John Rosemond. "Short of solitary confinement, you can't guarantee that a teen won't use drugs, shoplift, drink or ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Teen-Proofing Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager

Colleen Reynolds
While I agree that Rosemond can seem a bit condescending, I think it's mostly it's part of his plan to get people to lighten up about themselves a little. I found this book amazing and am anxious for my husband to read it so that we can be on the same page. We happen to be blessed so far with a teenager with a sunny personality and good behavior. We're not stupid and think she's going to remain perfect, but this book gives practical advice. I was able to utilize some of his tactics tonight. She ...more
Jon
Oh, how I wish I had picked up John Rosemond when he was recommended to me over ten years ago! I'm extremely grateful I didn't wait any longer. This book contains not only a great deal of good sense and very practical advice for the parents of teens and pre-teens, but also a huge dose of humor. Rosemond invented the term "tweenager" (which has now entered the vernacular as tween) and tells astonishing stories of helping teens gain a great deal of freedom by becoming responsible and reliable, wel ...more
Tony Whittum
As a parent who has had a reputation for being a bit of a softy this is an outstanding book for parents with "tweens" and teens!

Exactly the right book for the right time (for me)!

It spoke to me loudly as a parent who realizes that he can no longer be a softie and teach his teenage son (now) how to better deal with the "real life" situations that are coming in just a few short years.

While the secondary line in the title (Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager) isn't as attention
Crabbygirl
the title of this book looked promising: your teen making their own decisons but the book fell short of REALLY letting them; it was more of a discipline-in-advance system.

like he says to buy your teen a car and pay the bills for 3 months but then they have to take care of the payments (and keep their grades up) or you'll sell the car. (that's why YOU buy the car - so you can sell it). BUT he also uses taking the car away as a disciplinary action for other things and selling a car can only be do
Cynthia
I was surprised to find this book interesting & thought provoking. Rosemond seems much more reasonable in his approach to teenagers than to younger children. He seems to have developed his theories about child-parent relationships WHILE his children were teenagers which perhaps explains why his theories about toddlers seem based in an alternate universe.

His suggestions for parents of teenagers boil down to this: give them freedom AND responsibility, in a carefully outlined plan. (For instanc
Amy
Thank you to the person who recommended this book - I think either Dana or Kim? Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It is an older book, so some of the material seems just a bit dated, but it certainly doesn't impact the underlying content.

It definitely falls into the "tough love" category of parenting books. In fact, if you don't lean towards the "suck it up" philosophy of parenting, this book could be a real turn-off. It is also christian-based, but not to a degree that isn't fairly easily overlooke
This came across my Kindle for free with great reviews. I've read some of Rosemond's columns in the paper and was ready for most of his approach to parenting teens, though I was a bit surprised by just how Biblically-based his views and motivations are. I skipped over that and found many fabulous gems. I love Rosemond's reminders that the teens are the time to allow kids to make mistakes. I love his non-emotional responses to teens' mistakes and some of their silly attitudes and over-reactions, ...more
Nancy
A year or two ago, my husband and I attended one of the author's seminars and received a copy of this book. With a 13 year old exhibiting classic "teen" behavior at times, I decided to see what he had to say on the matter. First off, I found the author's tone condescending, his humor unfunny and his writing unpolished and too wordy. That said, he offers interesting insights into a teen's behavior and suggestions for parents of teens. Basically, he recommends that today's parents should return to ...more
Engranon Gradous
Quick read (tip: skip the Q&A bits as those are full of questionable humor and much of the tone referred to in reviews). There are some good nuggets in here, but you have to wade past quite a bit of religious opinionating. If you can skip this, you can find some good ideas here.
Valerie
One of the most practical books I have ever read on handling the teen years. No psycho-babble, just straightforward advice from the trenches. Exactly what I needed! My only regret is not reading it sooner, since my kids are already 13 and 17.
Lauren
I highly recommend this book - especially to read it before your kids become "tweenagers". What is taught goes along with the Plan of Salvation. We cannot force our children to obey - "not even God can make his children obey". We need to let them make their choices and then help them learn from their mistakes by poviding the needed discipline when that time comes. I learned that I tend to micromanage my children and need to learn to let up so I don't make matters worse. I like that he doesn't go ...more
Verity
May 22, 2013 Verity marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shana
May 06, 2008 Shana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of teenagers
This book was v. helpful in learning how to parent a teenager. I started parenting this teen when he was 13. He was 15 when I checked this book out of the library. I didn't use everything in the book but I have implemented many things and it has truly made ALL the difference. The way I found this book among the many teenager parenting books was through John Rosemond's column. He writes a syndicated parenting column. I can't recommend it enough especially if you are spending more time arguing abo ...more
Julie
Good ideas in here. I agree in general principle with what Rosemond says, just wish he'd tone down the religion a bit. Big thing I got out of this: start early. The Teen Proofing title seems appropriate for when you have teenagers, which I do, but really it's designed to be read when they're pre-teens. Some of his techniques require a level of discipline in one' adult self that is over the line for me, and I think for most parents.
Alicia
Oct 17, 2012 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of preteens and teenagers
2007:
I skipped a lot that didn't apply, but also found some great ideas and perspectives.

_____________________________________________________________

2012: I heard Mr. Rosemond speak last month, so wanted to reread this book. I like his suggestions for giving consequences for teens' misbehavior, without micromanaging and without getting into arguments. I needed these reminders...
Mary Jordan
Am learning a lot from this book. How NOT to micromanage my teen, which is so counterproductive to what I am trying to achieve and how to give them enough rope (freedom) to either succeed or hang themselves with.

Finished this book, I highly recommend it to parents, read it when they are still in early teens to get the most benefit.
Jim Tincher
I loved this book. It had great advice, talking about the importance of not giving your kids those things we always feel that we should. Conversely, it also talked about letting kids have the rope they need - but having significant consequences for making bad decisions. I highly recommend this book!
Heather
Good practical advice, moderately entertaining author (just a little too impressed with himself, alas), and at times too religious for my tastes. That said, I did get some actual new ideas for dealing with this stage of parenting, and reassurance about some decisions we've already made.
Jaime Contreras
This is just plain fun and common sense lessons! I thoroughly enjoyed this humorous but so truthful a spin on raising your teenagers to be logical and responsible. Although this seems like an impossible task, it is laid out in a way that it is possible. Read it with a smile!
Linda
Heard John Rosemond speak at a homeschooling convention last month. Loved his message so much that I went to two more sessions. His practical, no-nonsense approach to parenting teens is antithetical to the worldly hogwash we're used to hearing. Refreshing and transforming!
Bridget
I am reading this book for the THIRD time in a month! Anyone with teenagers can appreciate the common sense approach to parenting a child who thinks they are a grown up already....I wish I would have has this book 5 years ago....
Margaret
Mar 23, 2007 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
As parent of a teenager, I found this book empowering. It restored my perspective on said uncooperative teenager, and pointed me to far more creative (and appropriate) consequences. I review sections of it with new challenges.
Melissa
Aug 18, 2009 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Lauren Schneider
This was recommended by my sister, who also picked it up to get some help.

Rosemond doesn't promise life will be peachy, but he gives tools to help parents teach their teens responsibility for their own actions.
Kim
Despite my obvious problems with his theology and politics (e.g. feminism), he has some incredibly useful and workable solutions to parenting issues. He makes a lot of sense, and his ideas work!
Jen
May 03, 2013 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, and has examples of some very interesting extremes that parents had to go to to get their teen under control. I agree wholeheartedly with his parenting philosphy.
Rebecca
Oct 05, 2011 Rebecca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I got it as a free download on my e-reader, but it is actually interesting so far. I won't have a teen for at least 6 more years, so I guess it will be good prep!
Sue Tincher
A good book about raising teenagers--I learned how to foster responsibility in teens by rejecting the tendency to either micromanage or be my child's friend.
Laine
Loving his parenting philosophy...making some small changes at home and using some of his ideas with my parenting group.
Payge
Loved his ideas about making their attitude and behavior their problem. Some good ideas for navigating the teen years.
rachel
I love this guy's approach. So no-nonsense. But I still think I need him to come over to my house and do it for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings: Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • Complete without Kids: An Insider's Guide to Childfree Living by Choice or by Chance
  • Preparing for Adolescence
  • The End of Boys
  • Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!: How to Get (Both of You) Through the Next 9 Months
  • Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Raising Motivated Kids: Inspiring Enthusiasm for a Great Start in Life
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • The Rules of Parenting: A Personal Code for Raising Happy Confident Children
  • Absolutely Organize Your Family: Simple Solutions to Control Clutter, Schedules and Spaces
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Life Is Short And So Is This Book
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • City of Dust: Illness, Arrogance, and 9/11
Parenting by the Book: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child Making the "Terrible" Twos Terrific The Well-Behaved Child: Discipline That Really Works! The New Six-Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy Children A Family of Value