Start by marking “Too Big to Fall: America's Failing Infrastructure and the Way Forward” as Want to Read:
Too Big to Fall: America's Failing Infrastructure and the Way Forward

Too Big to Fall: America's Failing Infrastructure and the Way Forward

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In August 2007, the I-35W Bridge in Minneapolis collapsed, killing 13 people and injuring 145 others. Investigations following the tragedy revealed that it was not an unavoidable accident, but one that could have been prevented--and one that threatens to be repeated at many thousands of bridges located across the nation. Already more than 50 percent of our bridges are past ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Foster Pub. in Association with University Press of New England (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Too Big to Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Big to Fall

Mike
A bit too policy-wonkish in the second half for my tastes, and unfortunately the worldwide financial mess has just about assured that nothing will get done anytime soon - bridges and other infrastructure will just keep falling down and sinking.

The first half is an interesting (if scary) read -- a lot more infrastructure has already collapsed in the US than I was certainly aware of, and a lot more is known to be sub-standard and waiting to fall down (about 25%). I guess in the meantime I'll try
Andy Doyle
The author has obviously done his homework on the topic. However, the last few chapters of the book seem to wander a little from point to point. The author seems to even contradict himself from time to time. His chapter on the way forward presents very few real world solutions.

This is a good introductory book into bridge management and inspection in the United States, but it doesn't really present a whole picture.
Derek Walker

Very alarming book. Great presentation. I really liked the section on PPPs and the section on technology. Wouldn't mind getting ahold of some of that self-healing epoxy!
Dani
2nd read, after I saw the movie, better understanding. English.
Umberto
Umberto marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Ryan Ruby
Ryan Ruby marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Meng Xu
Meng Xu marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Huijuan Zhu
Huijuan Zhu is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2013
Jared Blanton
Jared Blanton marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Jennifer Chang
Jennifer Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Holly Bartelt
Holly Bartelt marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Marty
Marty marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Mike Schulz
Mike Schulz marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Jackie Wiksten
Jackie Wiksten marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Guy Hochstetler
Guy Hochstetler marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Madison Santos
Madison Santos marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
AnaClaudia Magalhaes
AnaClaudia Magalhaes marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2012
Broken Buildings, Busted Budgets: How to Fix America's Trillion-Dollar Construction Industry Too Big to Fall LePatner's Quotes on the Business of Life