3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  57 reviews
ELIN JEAN HAS always known she was different from the others on their remote island home. She is a gentle soul, and can’t stand the annual tradition of killing seal babies to thin the population. Even Tam McCodron, the gypsy boy to whom she is strangely drawn, seems to belong more than she does.

It’s just a matter of time until Elin Jean discovers the secret of her past: he...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Guitar Chick
This cover is literally the most misleading thing I've ever seen. If the story weren't so awesome, I'd take off points.

This is actually a pretty dark look into selkie lore, nothing candy colored or Meg Cabot-y here.

I loved the characters. Elin Jean is wonderfully rendered, a very full bodied character with flaws and faults but also redeeming characteristics and strengths. You get a distinct flavor for every character, even ones only featured for a short amount of time.

If you can deal with a lot...more
Danielle
This cover, with its neon bright colors, attractive figure, and girly fonts, made me think this would be like the movie AQUAMARINE; light, magic, modern. Maybe for... ages 12-14.

Instead it was a serious period piece (set on some Scottish isles, I believe) about a girl coming to terms with the dark side of her past, and trying to find what it is that truly fulfills her. Very heady, nothing candy-colored.

Oh, and baby seals are clubbed. This is not implied on the cover.

It has lots of substance up f...more
Janie Hepler
I really enjoyed it. The language irritated me a little ("wee bonny lasses"), but I really enjoyed this creative story. The language and the plot were beautiful. The cover art could be better.
Kailey
I was very pleased with this enchanting story! The characters are endearing and the plot is interesting and full of action. I love the character development of the heroine! The descriptions of selkie life under the sea are amazingly detailed and realistic. Wonderful brilliant writing all through!

I wish that the magical setting had been better explained though. I was never quite sure what WERE the parameters of the magical nature of the story world. Why did this magical thing happen at that parti...more
Catherine
Shannon lent me this book, saying it was very emotional and meant for teenagers, but interesting because it explored the folk lore of the Orkney Islands. One of the best values it taught, imho, was the value of life, and the intelligence of marine life. The legends or folk tales have it that selkies are seals who can live either as humans or seals, and that on Midsummer Eve, what we would call the Summer Solstice, selkies come to dance with humankind in the celebration of Summer. The main charac...more
Alexa
Reviewed on Alexa Loves Books

I'm going to be honest here: when I first picked this book out of the ones Ashley (of What's Your Story) was selling, I had no idea what the story was about. It was the cover that drew me in, with its wonderful combination of colors and the beautiful illustration. It was the first book I read out of the ones I got from Ashley and I have to say that I enjoyed it.

CHARACTERS

Selkie Girl's main character Elin Jean is interesting, and the story is basically hers. She's dif...more
Rebecca Sullivan
Kendra
by Laurie Brooks

Personally i think this book was only intresting when we were told the story how the sekings happened.And the mystery of the story was small but you are wondering the answer till the end of the story.

i got really sucked in becasue the ending you/i would usually have figures it out but then there are the boring but necessary parts make you forget.

i also think there were parts that were not so necessary to be so long becasue i didnt like those so much they were reall...more
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)

Cute. I hate to say this one didn't leave a huge lasting impression on me, but I did enjoy reading it.

The writing style was probably my favorite part. The author used great imagery throughout the book. I could imagine the salty taste of the ocean spray as I read about Elin Jean's adventures. It was very realistic. The author also did a fantastic job of developing the setting. Selkies are part of the Scottish folklore, so it is only natural that this tale takes place somewhere near there. Althou...more
Heather
Elin Jean lives near the sea and has always felt drawn to it. She has never fit in with the other children in the village, a situation that is compounded by the fact that her fingers are webbed. So instead of people for friends, Elin Jean looks to the selkies, or seals. Every year the humans “cull” the selkie herd by killing the baby seals with clubs, a tradition which appalls Elin Jean. On a strange night in midsummer, Elin Jean has a chance encounter with a young man named Tam, tries once agai...more
Ashley
While Selkie Girl did have a very original premise, and I was excited to read it at first, unfortunately it didn’t live up to my expectation of it. I wanted to like it, but I just found it dull and lagging. The plot, to me, felt like it never went anywhere, and even though the writing was vivid and beautifully descriptive, the story itself fell flat. There were many scenes that I felt dragged the story down.

The mythology of the selkies was my favorite part of the novel, and what made it slightly...more
Patricia
Clare
This book is amazingly touching! It is the story of a girl named Elin Jean who is half selkie(seal human)and half human. She has webbed fingers, and for her whole life has been taunted and made fun of. But now she finds her mother's pelt and her mother goes away to the ocean. Elin wants badly to go away to the ocean, so she does. There she is still under suspicion, because of the human part of her. However, she still tries to be a selkie, and eventually she becomes more accepted. Then she works...more
Christopher
I couldn't really place this book within other folklore I've encountered about Selkies, perhaps because it is set in the Orkney Islands, and I'm more familiar with the Irish versions. Despite descriptions of the the landscape and some folk traditions, I didn't really get a sense of place, at all. That added to the problem. The plot also seemed to drag a bit in places. Elin Jean's time with the selkies seems drawn out and largely pointless. I didn't get a feel for what their community was like. I...more
Ancamna
I thought this book was a really good exploration of growing up outside two worlds and not really fitting in to both as well as an exploration of the selkie myths. It was a continuation of one of the major selkie myths -- the one where the mother's skin is stolen, and she marries the farmer who stole her skin, and has a child or two, and then her skin is found and she goes back to the ocean, sometimes with her kids, sometimes without. This book is told from the daughter's point of view, and it s...more
She Known As Jess BlogSpot
Reading through this made me constantly want to stop and repeat to myself that it doesn’t make sense why I wanted to read this; I adore mermaid stories as you have probably guessed by now since I rave about them when I read a novel that has them at stage centre. However I have never enjoyed stories that revolve around Selkie’s; for some reason they never seem to appeal to me (the words boring come to mind) and I always end up feeling as though I have just wasted my time. I didn’t find myself dra...more
7706cloe
this book was great!
its about a girl with webbed hands who i an outcast in her town. each year, selkie girl goes to swim with selkies (seals). she is determined she will never be loved and wont find fate... until she finds out secrets she never knew which involves her mother. along the way, selkie girl falls in love.
i liked this book because it was nice to relax and read a fiction/fantasy book. it started a bit slow for me but i really got into it after about 30pgs.
i would recommend this book to...more
Lady Scribbles
I didn't finish this book. But not because I didn't think it was good. It deals with a lot of harsh issue's like the clubbing of poor baby seals. The legend of the selkie was also very interesting, and equally beautiful and heartbreaking. I liked the characters. It was just too sad, I can't take animal violence and there was a lot in this book. On the plus side it did get me aware of the seal clubbing problem and here's a good site to join to protest against this act of cruelty: http://www.human...more
Krista
I read this novel as an advance copy quite a few years ago, and even then I was impressed! I absolutely loved Laurie Brooks' focus on an old tale that I've known since I was a child. Through surprising twists and turns, Selkie Girl proves itself as a novel worth joining the shelf of its original fable. I very much appreciated the portrayal of Elin as a highly candid, understandable character; a character with whom I could identify and see as another person in my life, but with extraordinary qual...more
Airynn
I really like the meaning to the story in this book. It's told about a young girl who loves the ocean and the seals and feels a pull to be in the water and be with them. She finds out why but that would ruin it if I said. This book teaches the age old lesson of loving yourself and not caring what others think. Finding happiness within even if you don't feel it from others. It takes place on the Orkney Islands off the Scottish coast. Makes me want to go there and stay awhile.
Lendsi
I think the story is pretty good. It's none-traditional and to use a cute instead of fabulous animal to spin a mermaid tale is quite bold.

There were some lapses if I may add to the narration, may be bit of inconsistency to the characters like the heroine's mother so to speak, but it was an enjoyable quick read of a book.

Maybe the love story part can be a bit more developed, as it became a bit too "expected" of a love story/fairy tale.

It's a good read though.
Reita
A Selkie is a seal that can shed it's pelt and become human only one time a year, at the summer solctice. Elin Jean doesn't seem to fit in and is ridiculed by the village people (not the YMCA Village People!). Her fingers have webbing between them. Her mother is not happy and her father is a grump. Elin Jean doesn't know why she doesn't fit in, no one will tell her anything. Until one day she hears the selkies tell her to "Find it." This is a really good story about selkies.
Mags
I enjoyed the beginning, but found the more I read, the less I cared. I feel like Brooks has taken the story of the Selkie, which is a myth I enjoyed, and ruined it. Granted this is the first novel she's written, but I think had this been made into a play (which she has more experience writing) the experience would have been more enjoyable. If I just saw the actions, and knew less of what was in the main character's head, I think she would be more sympathetic.
Lisa
I'm still giving this book 3 stars even though I didn't finish it. I read half of it and I thought the prose was quite lyrical and descriptive, but the pacing was a little slow for me. I guess right now I'm in the mood for something a little more action-packed. Maybe when my life slows down a little, I'll pick this one back up and finish the story.
Heather
Nia
This book is about a girl named Elin Jean and she lives in Scotland. She has a mother and a father but they call them "mither" and "fither". There tradition is to kill seal babies and Elin Jean goes to rescue her mom and dad from prison that her dad made. She meets a young man named tam.
Christina
This book could have been better. Why is it that most Selkie books I read lack something that I can't put my finger on? Oh well, I enjoyed some of the ocean description, but I felt this lacked strong characters, I know I read this awhile back, but I don't even remember what happened.
Annalise

This book was intriguing in the beginning but 3 or 4 chapters in I for bored. :( but I do admire the authors work it was easy to read and very descriptive :) this book may not be my favorite but I do think it deserves a chance on the 4-5 star rating to some!!:)
I love Irish selkie legends and grabbed this book as soon as I read the description. The writing was good but the story sometimes seemed a bit long. Other than some unexpected violence, it was a cute tale of a girl who happened to be part seal.
Lindi
I love me a good selkie tale, but in essence this was. I just wish the author had not been quite so descriptive about the seal pup culling. The cover makes it look like the audience is a 10 year old girl, but the violence is pretty shocking.
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • Mermaid Park
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun (Emily Windsnap, #5)
  • Fins
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Merrow
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • Soul Enchilada
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • The Mermaid Summer
  • My Sister Sif
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • The Secret History of Mermaids and Creatures of the Deep
  • The Selkie
  • The Call of the Deep
Laurie Brooks is an award-winning playwright and YA fiction author.

Awards and grants include TCG's National Theatre Artists Residency Program, AT&T Firststage award, three Distinguished Play Awards and the Charlotte Chorpenning Cup from AATE, NY Foundation for the Arts, and Irish Arts Council Commissioning Grant (with Graffiti Theatre Company, Cork, Ireland).

Brooks' Lies and Deceptions Quartet...more
More about Laurie Brooks...
The Wrestling Season Everyday Heroes Atypical Boy All of Us Selkie: Between Land and Sea