Start by marking “Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  52 reviews
WHAT ARE THE ODDS YOU'LL WIN THE LOTTERY?

How long will your kids wait in line at Disney World?

Who decides that "standardized tests" are fair?

Why do highway engineers build slow-moving ramps?

What does it mean, statistically, to be an "Average Joe"?

NUMBERS RULE YOUR WORLD In the popular tradition of eye-opening bestsellers like Freakonomics, The Tipping Point, and Super Crun
Published January 25th 2010 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about Numbers Rule Your World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Numbers Rule Your World

Chris Lynch
A fine little discussion of the impact of statistics on our everyday lives, in the tradition of Freakonomics. If I were asked to pick an alternative and more cynical title for this, it might be 'The Foolishness of Crowds' as Kaiser Fung offers a number of excellent examples of public perception being at odds with the reality revealed by statistics. Give people the feeling of being in control and they tend to see everything through rose-tinted glasses even though they may actually be better off s ...more
Remo
Libro muy, muy interesante en el que en cuatro grandes bloques el autor analiza los usos cotidianos de la estadística, más allá de lo que solemos saber. La estadística se usa cuando aparece un brote epidemiológico, cuando diseñas análisis de dopaje, o exámenes de polígrafo, cuando intentas minimizar los tiempos percibidos por los visitantes de Disneylandia o los viajeros de una red de autopistas, o cuando intentas diseñar un examen tipo test que no discrimine a los estudiantes según su origen. E ...more
Michael
I have to say that I thought this "pop statistics" book was much better than others I have previously read (Super Crunchers and the Freakonomics series). (Disclaimer: I have read Kaiser Fung's blog Junk Charts for a few years, so I was predisposed to think positively of his book.)

I found this book to be less into the sensational aspects of using data to make decisions and more about the challenges of doing so. Also, it explored the fact that context makes a difference. Each chapter was set up to
Julia
You don't need to be a "numbers person" (read: geek) to enjoy the fantasic and mind-boggling things some really smart people do with them. Fung manages to make the book an entertaining and speedy read while still boggling your mind with the secret statistics behind life's regular events.

And more importantly, this book could finally put the lottery debate to bed once and for all. Meaning, yes - it is silly to waste money on lotto tickets because the chances of winning or so, so slim.
John Pyrce
A few demonstrations of how statistical thinking is non-intuitive. Fast Pass at Disney is no "faster", but it "spreads out" the waiting time to make it seem shorter. When stratifying/grouping, you have to group correctly: high performance whites perform the same as high performing blacks (and also for lows), but the total group of whites performs better than the total group of blacks (Simpsons Paradox). Rare events are rare. There is a tension between trying to optimize against false positives o ...more
Erik
I hear about this book in a completely random way, as I had turned by TV on to CNN where Fareed Zackaria was finishing up his program, GPS, and he ended it by recommending Fung’s book. Coming in at just under two hundred pages, Fung – an Ivy League educated mathematician and statistician – has a remarkable and singular capacity to make statistical theory both applicable and astonishingly clear for the layperson to grasp.

Not only does he mathematically debunk the irrational fear of flying becaus
Franklin
Great sections on PEDs tests in cycling and baseball and on polygraph testing. Other sections were a little dry. The book is about statistics though, so don't expect a smooth read.

Regarding baseball, because the USADA/WADA and MLB are so overly paranoid of the false positive drug test, Fung (author) argues that they knowingly use less stringent testing standards. This not only minimizes the number of true positives and false positives, but also increases the false negatives. In other words, mor
Josh Kopp
Slightly deeper reading on the probabilities and statistics that affect you everyday. Author Kaiser Fung writes how you are directly changed by numbers day-by-day rather than just generating another book about the theoretical probability of something happening.

Chapter 1:

Looks at two examples of waiting time: Minnesota's road system and Disneyland's ride lines. How can the time of waiting be reduced? Author Fung proves that increasing road width and park size will do nothing. The solution lies in
Arifperdana
Adakah aktifitas kehidupan kita yang tidak terpengaruhi oleh angka ? Tidak ada, semua aktifitas kehidupan kita selalu dipengaruhi oleh angka, baik secara langsung maupun tidak langsung. Kehidupan kita dibatasi oleh usia dan waktu yang diukur dalam angka. Kehidupan yang bahagia dan ideal mulai dari kekayaan hingga bentuk fisik tubuh seringkali dikaitkan dengan angka. Kesuksesan di bidang akademis tak luput dari angka-angka. Pertumbuhan ekonomi suatu negara tak lepas dari ukuran angka-angka. Bahka ...more
Qingnan
I find it ironic that the book ends with "if you know how to use number to make everyday decisions, you rule the world". In fact, almost none of the examples involves everyday decisions made by us, the readers. Ramp meter policy were made by engineers who studies traffic; Disney fast pass were the result of careful study by "Imagineers"; SAT test fairness are ensured by ETS; and so on and so forth. None of these decisions were everyday decisions, and certainly none of them were made by us.

Anothe
Alvaro Berrios
A good, introductory book to the use of statistics and probabilities in every day life. Written in a way that is easy even for innumerate people to understand. It's certainly not a text book on statistics, but rather, through stories and real-life examples the author explains to the reader how numbers have changed our lives...for better or for worse. There are some nice little golden nuggets to take away that anyone can apply, such as the importance of variability when it comes to averages.

My bi
Converse
An interesting short book about the applications of mathematics, mainly statistics and probability, to human behavior. Although it is about math, there is not a formula to be found. Topics include waiting times at Disney and at freeway on-ramps, lotteries, plane crashes, lie detectors and drug testing in sports. Lie detecting and drug testing share the same dilemma, that reducing false positives also means increasing false negatives; what differs is which of these is considered the bigger proble ...more
Chris Poulin
Fascinating treatment of select events and how data analysis can reveal the true causes. Well, fascinating if you have a critical mind. You don't have to be a statistics geek to understand this book, but it will still exercise your brain and challenge some preconceptions you may have.
Maggie Anaya
Although this book had decent examples of real life scenarios and was an easy read, it argues that statistics essentially is just the study of the nature of variability. What I took from this book was that everything is fine just being left up to chance.
Michael Quinn
Kaiser Fung does a great job of illustrating some fundamental statistical concepts. This includes variance, stratification and hypothesis testing. Even better, he does it through a series of linked anecdotes, which both drive the key points home and make the journey light and pleasant. Do you ever wonder why we struggle to catch steroid abusers? Do you think polygraphs might be woefully inaccurate? Are you confused by some people's fear of flying? This is the book for you.

Unfortunately it's a li
Becky
This book gave me a better understanding of stats and several pertinent applications while not becoming too textbook-ish. This would make for a wonderful supplement read for a college level stats or analytics class.
N-rose
Had high points in the discussion of how data and statisticians help glean truths that run counter to common beliefs/ myths/ stories. But it's a plodding read at times.
Stefanus Andre
Good:
* Informative and mostly fun to read.

Bad:
* Repetitive.
* Some information only apply to US readers.
Hilary Stork
Really good book about how statistics are used in the real world. Hoping I can remember details well enough to share some of the statistical applications with my students.
Brian
Interesting material. Well written. Read for information, not entertainment.
Willis
As this book is written by a statistician, you might think that only a stat geek could enjoy this book. But I think it is written for a much broader audience and everyone could benefit from it. It is written to convince the general reader of some important statistical concepts that impact day to day life. There are so many misconceptions that people have because they don't really understand these relative simple concepts that are discussed in this book. This is the kind of book I wish I could ha ...more
Ctg7w6
I enjoyed most of the book. It is rather short and a good deal of space is spent on "conclusions", ie. summarizing what has already been said. In fact, the conclusion to the book lasts for many pages, yet just summarizes what you read in the past 150 pages. Very annoying. Each chapter ends with several pages of restatement of what was said in the chapter.

The book should have been 3/4 the size that it was. The good parts were generally pretty good though.
P.a.jayaprakash
He analyzed the flaw of statistics and gave a better clarity how it can be interpreted and went through thoroughly from credit score/ sat exam / Insurance bet etc etc. Finally the book says not to believe on statistical evidence coz the output of result like doping test/polygraph may or may not be accurate. the author helps to change the perception on day to day event encountered by us especially by newspaper and TV news.
Berrett
I read this book because I liked Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell so much. I was hoping this would be equally fun. It was not. It was pretty good, don't get me wrong. I'm glad I read it. But it just wasn't great. If you're looking for a really fun, non-fiction book about non-intuitive features of the world I'd recommend either Freakonomics or Tipping Point instead of this one.
Francisco
Lo compré buscando algo similar a Freakonomics, y aunque tiene casos muy entretenidos de leer (rush hour en las autopistas, FastPass en Disney, etc) es menos ameno. Vuelve repetidamente sobre cada caso para explicar en mayor profundidad el concepto estadístico y eso lo hizo aburrido de seguir. No me arrepiento de haberlo leido pero no fue algo memorable.
Matt
Fun anecdotes, but many of them felt forced into chapter themes that only tangentially fit. The book also manages to allude to a number of interesting behavioral economics and statistics principals without really explaining them. I would recommend most of this book's peers over this one.
Maggie
I'm not much of a math person so I didn't think I would enjoy this book about statistics so much. It's engaging and skillfully written. It also reinforced some of my opinions about the accuracies of drug testing athletes and the usefulness of the polygraph as a screening device.
Ashishg
While title promises many things, book merely delivers 2-3 concepts of statistics (average, stratified sample, conditional probability) and around 10 case studies. Little too verbose and meandering at times, none the less book is easy read but ends without conclusion.
Tyler Collier
I love these types of books, normally, but thought this one was just blah in its narrative. The studies mentioned by the authors in this genre are usually told in a more compelling manner, but this book could have benefitted from a better story teller.
A.
This book was good but not really as good as I had hoped. Lots of discussion about the misuse of statistics which seemed like something most people should already know. Wish there had been fresher take on numbers. It was ok but wouldn't recommend it.
  • The Branded Mind: What Neuroscience Really Tells Us about the Puzzle of the Brain and the Brand
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence (McGraw-Hill Series in Social Psychology)
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • Beyond Culture
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Chances Are . . .: Adventures in Probability
  • Out of Character: Surprising Truths About the Liar, Cheat, Sinner (and Saint) Lurking in All of Us
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • Guesstimation: Solving the World's Problems on the Back of a Cocktail Napkin
  • Mindfulness
  • Super Crunchers: Why Thinking-by-Numbers Is the New Way to Be Smart
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • The Pleasure Instinct: Why We Crave Adventure, Chocolate, Pheromones, and Music
  • The Optimism Bias: A Tour of the Irrationally Positive Brain
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
Numbersense: How to Use Big Data to Your Advantage Making Sense of Numbers That Rule Your World eBook Bundle Os números governam sua vida - A influência velada das probabilidades e da estatística em tudo o que você faz

“The safest part of your journey is over. Now drive home safely. —ANONYMOUS PILOT” 1 likes