Start by marking “Dirtball Pete” as Want to Read:
Dirtball Pete

Dirtball Pete

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A hilarious read-aloud picture book for boys and girls who just can’t seem to stay clean! (And the parents who love their little dirtballs regardless.)

It’s a fact. Dirtball Pete stinks to high heaven.

His sister, Amanda, says so, and her friend Janine totally agrees. Even with a good scrubbing from his mom, Dirtball Pete usually manages to revert to his dirtball self in no
Published August 24th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dirtball Pete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirtball Pete

Brenna Call
I really wanted to love this one because I have a few dirtballs of my own, but I thought it was a bit wordy, not too clever and I lost interest about half way through. Read at your own risk..maybe you'll like it more than I did.
Sunday
THEME - BE YOURSELF AND PEOPLE WILL ACCEPT YOU
From School Library Journal
Kindergarten-Grade 3 Dirtball Pete is a nice kid who can't help getting messy and stinky. When it's time for him to perform in THE FIFTY STATES AND WHY THEY'RE GREAT! day at school, his mom scrubs him down, dresses him up, and tells him to make her proud. Inevitably, Pete gets filthy while chasing down his blown-away notes, but his confident performance in the show makes his mom proud anyway. This is a pleasant little lesso
Candice Torgerson

This story is about Pete and how incredible dirty he is from playing in the dirt outside to playing with his smell pet ferret. Pete was to participate in his school “The fifty states and why they’re great day”, he was to dress up in the card board makings of Pennsylvania. Then give a speech of facts about that state. Pete’s mother was bound and determined that Pete would not show up filthy like he always was to the play. She insisted Pete be clean, so she scrubbed him in the tub, gave him a hair
Kristina
Similar to other stories that I have read, but overall a cute book.
Erica
Feb 13, 2014 Erica added it
Cute book about a boy who just can't seem to keep clean.
Sarah Souther
Everybody has their good points, but being clean is not something Dirtball Pete is good at. Despite his mom's briefly successful attempt to clean him up so everyone can see what a special little boy he is, dirt wins out (with some help from a dog, a ferret, a pile of leaves, the wind...). As bedraggled Dirtball Pete gets up to tell everyone about Pennsylvania during THE FIFTY STATES AND WHY THEY'RE GREAT day, they learn he truly is a special little boy. A nice take on the "be who you are" theme ...more
Dolly
This is a fun story that stars a lovable little boy who just cannot seem to stay clean, ala Pigpen from the Peanuts comicstrip (minus the cloud of dust.) His family tries to help him get - and stay - clean and presentable for his performance in the class play. But alas, it is not meant to be. Nevertheless, Dirtball Pete finds a way to shine in the end. Cute illustrations, too. We enjoyed reading this story aloud together.
Dani
I am 7 and I like this book.

I thought this book was funny. Dirtball pete was an easy read for me and I should do well on my AR test.
Angie
I put this on my "to read" list in January. I really need to start keeping track of where I hear about books.

Anyway. Saw it at the bookstore and forgot I'd ever heard about it. Super cute illustrations. They are like a four. The story ... more like a three. I hate deciding whether to round up or down.

I'll go up. Just because he was such a cute little guy.
Cory
Umm . . .this might be my new favorite book, especially for the way that Dirtball Pete looks so unabashedly happy while in his dirtball state. He's completely unconcerned about his appearance and what people think, and just lives his bliss. Hooray for Dirtball Pete!
Erin
This is the story of dirtball pete. As his name suggests, he is NEVER clean. As much as his mother tries, dirtball Pete is always making a mess of himself.

Too cute story with great illustrations! I'm glad this caught my eye on the dump cart.
Shelli
Is it to much to ask for your little boy to be clean just once? For one school performance? For the mother of "Dirtball Pete" it is. As a mother you have to accept them and love them no matter what though.
Tam
This book did not appeal to my boys (ages 4 & 8) one bit. They didn't even want to finish reading it. As a parent, I didn't like that Pete rode laying down in the back of the station wagon.
Trista
Very cute picture book about a smelly boy and how his mother wants him to be clean for the class program so that she can be proud of him. Whimsical illustrations.
Nicole
We have been loving this
funny story about a dirty boy called dirtball pete. My little guy lves the story and the illustrations.
Yolanda
Just one question. How did all of that stuff end up in his hair? Oh. And why does his cat enjoy sitting on his head?
Michelle Kelley
Cute story about a little boy who just cannot stay clean. No matter how hard anyone tries. Very cute at times.
Eagle
I read this to Mrs. Bentley's class today. It was a funny story that most moms can relate to. Mrs. Shepherd
Liz Todd
Message: It's what is on the inside that counts; appearances can be deceiving.. etc.
*Miss Fame*
Absolutely adorable! I adore the illustrations! Great story!
Morgan
Yay for dirtball Pete and his wonderful Pennsylvania presentation.
Edward Sullivan
He's dirty but he's also special. A fun read aloud choice.
Jackie
Feb 19, 2011 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Reminds me a bit of Horrid Henry, but more polite. :)
Renee
Feb 10, 2011 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-1st
3.5
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bad Astrid Clue On Translation White Palace [VHS] The Uses of Psychoanalysis in Working with Children's Emotional Lives