Start by marking “Dark Magic (Carpathians, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dark Magic (Carpathians, #4)

Dark Magic (Dark #4)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  16,237 ratings  ·  434 reviews
Young Savannah Dubrinsky was a mistress of illusion, a world-famous magician capable of mesmerizing millions. But there was one-Gregori, the Dark One-who held her in terrifying thrall. Whose cold silver eyes and heated sensuality sent shivers of danger, of desire, down her slender spine.

With a dark magic all his own, Gregori-the implacable hunter, the legendary healer, the...more
Published June 8th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Magic

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Imagine waiting long centuries for your mate, on the very edge of madness. That is the fate of Gregori. I really loved his character. I loved that he was an incredible hero but also a destroyer of their enemy, the Carpathians that lose their soul and become evil, soulless killers. Gregori might be too much for some romance fans. He is an intense guy and he is obsessed with Savannah in a way that might be scary in a real live guy. But it worked for this book. If you don't like uber-possessive, ak...more
Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1))
*Warning, violent threats and pictures of kittens are ahead. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If you are somewhat uneasy about violent threats towards main characters. if seeing kittens makes you have a heart attack, brace yourself. And spoilers ahead.
the kittens will represent my feelings.

AGAIN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.*

I love how you can pick up any book in this series and not be confused. I mean, it's true they're all in the same universe/world, and there are many cameo appearances but you can pick...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
At last, we get Gregori's book. Most readers who started the Carpathian series at the beginning with Dark Prince , have been waiting for our ancient warrior to get his happily ever after --and with Dark Magic, the wait is over. We only had to wait four books. And for me, the wait was worth it.

Gregori is one of the oldest and the deadliest of Carpathian men. As with all the men of his kind, he lost the ability to feel emotions and see in color when he turned 200. He's nearly a thousand now. And...more
Felicia
UUUUGH. Ok, this is the worst. I had seen this series floating around, SO popular, and I decided to give it a whirl, got 2 books. I try not to be critical but these Carpathian dudes are too much to tolerate. I mean, Alpha is one thing, but they're controlling, condescending and borderline abusive. NOT FOR ME. Ugh. She writes a pretty good racy scene and that's the best I can say about it.
I wanted to punch the dudes in these books!
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is the fourth book in the series, and I have to say it's wearing a little thin. Well, I don't expect great things from it, and they're enjoyable for what they are, but Feehan's writing is very unimpressive and starts to get annoying pretty quickly.

This is Gregori's story. One of the ancients, the second-oldest Carpathian alive*, he is revered and feared among his own kind for the ruthless hunter that he is. No Carpathian is more powerful or more knowledgable. If he turns, nothing will be ab...more
Seamonster403

My review is based mostly on the series itself and not 2 much on Dark Magic.I have read the first five books in Feehan's Dark Series. Once u've read one of these books u have read them all. They are EXTREMELY repetitive. Everything is described as being velvet. All the women are the same; long hair (velvet hair mind you) past their hips, narrow ribcages and small waist which empahsize their full breast. They are all petite and fragile...same characteristics/personalities.. u name it. The only th...more
L8blmr
Oh, this one was outstanding! I'd been anxious for Gregori's story, and it didn't disappoint. He's the ultimate "bad boy" and, though it isn't very P.C. of me, I loved the depth of Gregori's love for his lifemate, his passion, his extreme protectiveness and even his jealousy! The unexpected touches of humor and the humans you will come to know are just icing on this delicious cake. Now, I'm looking ahead to Julian...
Katya
I really looked forward to reading Gregori's story after him popping in and out of the previous Dark Series Novels. He was portrayed as one of the strongest, fiercest, "darkest" of the cast of characters. He operated by a different set of rules. He was an unknown, mystery, ancient force. H e was the “boogie man” to Carpathian children. Even grown men were a little uncomfortable around him at times. He reminded me of “Controlled Power.” In Dark Desire I especially loved the parts where he interac...more
Mara
I thought the first book was bad. Nothing compared to the forth one. Rape, pedophiles, domination (and not in bed) choose your pick. And all of it boring to death (yes, sex too. sigh)

I know I prefer heroines who kick, rather than kiss, ass. Still I enjoy pararomance and their domineering males. I may appreciate soulmates, but not lifemates when this means no choice whatsoever, a woman turned into a slave forced even in her mind. nope, no way.
Erinn
If you've read any of this woman's supernatural romance, then you know how this book reads. I lost count how many times she used the word velvet. I'm really not a romance reader, so by the end of the book I was skipping the sex scenes skimming the repetitive bits about how perfect they were for each other, yadda yadda yadda, and was trying to finish reading the bits with some actual plot in it.

I think what really bothered me were the inacuracies about NOLA. I've never lived there myself, but I'v...more
Bron
This is the story of the Carpathian healer Gregori and his lifemate Savannah, the daughter of Mikhail and Raven. Savannah is 23 and faced with the daunting prospect of what is the equivalent to an "arranged marriage" with a much older and very scary man. Unbelievably, it doesn't take her long to overcome her fears and accept Gregori for what he is.

What is it with the Carpathian males, thinking they are so special that a woman must do as they demand every time? Gregori is not just an alpha male,...more
Holly
Dianne
I tried, I really did. This is book 4 in a long series. Read book 1, enjoyed it. Read book 2, thought it was ok. Skipped book 3 because I didn't care about the main character...what I was really interested in was Gregori, the hero of this story.

Christine Feehan created a very enigmatic character in Gregori and I really wanted this story to redeem the series for me, but I quit reading on page 21. I can't take it anymore.

Feehan is a gifted story teller, but I grow tired of the following:

Characters...more
Cindyg
Now this was more like it. Of course I was thrilled to get Gregori's story, he's my fav so far and I think he will remain so throughout the series.
And I 'm happy to report that Savannah was NOT a whiny, confused B----! Thank god!!!
Gregori and Savannah's story was just what this series needed. I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't put the book down. Sleeping was out of the question.
Gregori was everything I look for in a troubled, strong, dangerous, intense sex machine. Oh yeah...I said it......more
The Flooze
How's about half a star?

I know many people love Feehan, but I just cannot bring myself to like her writing. The novels I've read so far, Dark Magic included, seem best summed up by the phrase "all talk, no action."

Feehan favors exhaustive exposition as opposed to furthering a plot. If you prefer to remain inside the characters' heads for the duration and relish flowery, over-the-top emotional tangents, this series is for you. We spend the entire novel focusing on the characters' feelings and dou...more
Carolyn F.
2nd time reading - this time by audiobook.

Finally I am seeing why I liked these books in the first place. I've been going through the series by audiobook and have been more than a little frustrated. This book did have some of those moments in the beginning, but I loved that Savannah is seeing a lot of the good things about being the love interest of a Carpathian. I also enjoyed Gregori experiencing some of the things he would judge the other mated men for doing. Suspenseful, with romantic scenes...more
Jessica Hatfield
I love this book It is my favorite of the Dark series. I waited four books to watch Gregori eat his words about how to handle woman and it was too funny. I love him and Savannah and it was nice to see Gregori come out of his shell and develop a great personality he is a sexy, kick ass hero and I love that Savannah is strong and can hold her own and still be soft.
Olivia
Let me start off by saying that the descriptions in this book were VERY repetitive. I felt like I was reading the same paragraph over and over again. The leading man pretty much takes the leading lady virginity in the most horrible way, but yet she is able to fall in love with him? I dunno, I just didn't care much for these characters.
Heather
This is probably the best book ive read by christine feehan but that isnt really saying a whole lot considering the fact that i haven't really liked any of her books.
on the bright side, at least savanah didn't get tortured in here..like in the Drake Sisters series.
I did have some problems with this book,however.
Starting with..
How could she ever forgive him for raping her?! which, lets face it, is what gregori did.
&she goes from not wanting to be with him at all, to 'of course we're lifemates...more
Debbie
The Dark One, Gregori knew his time was running short and he needed a lifemate. He believed he had the power to force the daughter of the Prince to become his lifemate but when she asked for a few years of freedom, he could do nothing else but let her go. Savannah Dubrinski may have been the daughter of a powerful ancient, she knows the basics about being Carpathian, but she never really understood the life of the male Carpathian until Gregori, the most scary of all males, claimed he could wait...more
Rachel
I really wanted this book to be a 5 star read; I even thought it would be. I was disappointed. The story was well written, as usual, and it had the right combination of humor, action and sex. However this is Gregori's story!!! I was so anxious to read it I skimmed Dark Gold quickly just to see any foreshadowing or info. related to Gregori's story (there was!)

Normally, I have a hard time pinpointing what I am missing in a sorry or what I don't like; that was not a problem for me with this book. T...more
HÜLYA
Kara Büyü-Christine Feehan

Dark Serisinin 4.Kitabı idi..Goodreads puanı 4,16
Gregory'i serinin ilk kitabından beri merak ediyordum..Okumak için sabırsızlanıyordum..Ama öyle bir çeviri ile karşımıza geldi ki...Bunu çok eleştirdiğim Ödül'de bile görmedim..Tam anlamı ile bir felaket idi..
Başlarda okumak tam bir işkence oldu benim için..Bu kadar ağdalı kelimeler,yarım kalmış cümleler..Goodreads'e baktığımda kitap Dark Serisinin en beğenilen kitabı ama sağ olsun çevirmen ve editör işbirliği ile Türkiy...more
Pete
Dark Magic is another good read of Christine’s. However, I was somewhat disappointed in that Gregori, the Carpathian Healer did not do much healing in this book. I got more of that from Dark Desire.

Savannah Dubrinsky was claimed by 1000 year old Gregori actually while in her mother’s (Shea) womb in Dark Desire as his lifemate . Her father was Gregori’s best friend Mikhail. Savannah is telepathic like her Carpathian heritage and had come to the USA to be a magician using gifts from her race.

Grego...more
Jessica
Ever since the start of the series most readers wait with bated breath for Gregori's story because lets face it he's downright pitiful (in a predatory nothing to live for kind of way). But despite being desperate he gives his lifemate time to grow up a little which gives you a little insight into how kind even the boogey man can be. I loved the heroine and how she continued to stand up to gregori throughout the book despite being terrified of him at first. She truly did lighten him up which is s...more
Kathy
Gregori - has been a presence in the first 3 books... he is powerful, almost as old as Michael... a student of their past, a healer, a vampire hunter... and more powerful than any... and soooo close to turning.

Savannah, Michael and _____ 's daughter. and she is now 25. Gregori attempted to claim her on her 18th birthday, but she was afraid. He can wait no longer.

Gregori - he doesn't understand how Michael & Aiden allow their lifemates so much freedom... he feels guilty for using his power...more
Kelly
I really do like this series! Really. I'm just having such a hard time with it. I can read a few chapters and then I have to take a breather and rid myself of all the OMG!ANGST! before stepping back to it. *deep breath* I'm still of the opinion that the reason this series feels so claustrophobic to me is that the relationships are so intense. The two leads don't exist outside of one another. The woman is repeatedly asked to submit to the man. Not just sexually, either. She is expected to step ba...more
Taria Reed
OH MY GOD!! I'm only 45minutes into the audiobook and the fricking heroine is already getting on my nerves. The women in this series aren't independent, they are stuipid to a deadly fault. The whole premise is that the women have to submit completely to these overly dominant men.

Now I'm all for a well written sexy alpha male, but holy cow, these books take it to the point of "if I can't have you no one will". Very stalkerish and obsessive.

6hrs into the audiobook and we have another heroine who...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is Gregori and Savannah's story. I have read many of the other books in the series and knew these two would be together. For some reason, Christine Feehan writes a strong alpha male lead; along with the independent women in the stories usually give some fight against the domineering male. Her story has developed over time in the Carpathian series, but this story was lacking some. The later books address the issues that the Carpathians face. The downsides of this book are that it fell flat....more
Gavin
Dark Magic is the much anticipated story of Gregori "the Dark One", and his life mate Savannah. I really enjoyed this book and was surprised at how much I liked Gregori as a character. I loved how both Savannah and Gary, his human friend, managed to bring out a softer side to him. Also really enjoyed the fact that even though he grumbled the whole time he let Savannah drag him to all sorts of ridiculous social events in the human world.

The re-introduction of the evil Society of vampire hunters...more
Valia Malkia wa vitabu
Long-awaited book.Ahem!Gregori,powerful,old,all consuming and other characteristics I saw on all other heroes in the series:check
Savannah,beauty,delicate:check. She runs he follows.He rapes her!(Quickly shut off e-reader before I smash my phone)
I skim and skip pages coz I have seen it all before(I didn't go in order hence this was probably my tenth book in the series when I got it).The sex was bleh or meh(whatever).Savannah had no backbone and Gregori gives me paedophilia vibes(I was creeped whe...more
Dark Magic by Christine Feehan 24 57 Feb 07, 2013 12:01PM
  • After Twilight (Dark, #7a)
  • Tall, Dark & Hungry (Argeneau #4)
  • I Thirst for You (Primes, #2)
  • Night Pleasures/Night Embrace
  • Master of Wolves (Mageverse, #3)
  • Noah (Nightwalkers, #5)
  • Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2)
  • Wicked Fantasy (Castle of Dark Dreams, #3)
  • Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan has over 40 novels published, including four series. Each of her four series has hit #1 on the NY Times. Her debut novel Dark Prince received 3 of the 9 Paranormal Excellence Awards in Romantic Literature for 1999. Since then she has been published by Leisure Books, Pocket Books, and currently is writing for Berkley/Jove. She also has earned 7...more
More about Christine Feehan...
Dark Prince (Dark, #1) Dark Desire (Dark, #2) Dark Gold (Dark, #3) Dark Fire (Dark, #6) Dark Guardian (Dark, #9)

“Stay out of my mind. You certainly weren't invited.' Her hands went to her hips. 'And just for the record, your mind needs to be washed out with soap! Half the things you think we're going to do are never going to happen. I could never look at you again.” 14 likes
“She thumped him again.
He looked startled, then caught her flying fist in his hand and gently pried her fingers open. Very carefully he pressed a kiss into the exact center of her palm. 'Savannah? Were you trying to hit me?'
'I didn't hit you--twice, you scum. You didn't even notice the first time.' She sounded very irritated with him.
For some reason it made him want to smile. 'I apologize, mon amour. Next time, I promise I will notice when you strike me.' The hard edge to his mouth softened into a semblance of a smile. 'I will even go so far as to pretend that it hurts, if you wish it.”
11 likes