Start by marking “The Matchmakers” as Want to Read:
The Matchmakers

The Matchmakers

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,292 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Single mom Dori Robertson is suddenly under pressure to find a new father for her eleven-year-old son. And he’s already chosen the guy – former pro-football player Gavin Parker. As it turns out, Gavin’s daughter wants her dad to marry again, too. When the kids join forces, Gavin suggests he and Dori start dating, just to satisfy the kids. Dori figures it’s safe enough…unti ...more
Audio CD
Published April 6th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Matchmakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matchmakers

Cris
Jan 07, 2014 Cris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moderno, romance
Ai que alivio ler um livrinho com uma historia gostosa e que não abusa da nossa inteligência!
A mocinha, Dori, é viúva e mãe de um menino de 11 anos, o Dani, que esta doido para ter um novo pai, e tem um plano para conseguir isso. Ele se alia à Melissa, filha de Gavin e os dois armam todas para unir os pais.
Gavin decide se aproveitar da situação e arma um acordo com Dori, o que ele quer é ter o melhor disso tudo sem se comprometer, mas a Dori não é uma mulherzinha sem espinha que aceita qualquer
Fernanda
digamos que é mais 2.5 estrelas
enfim, uma leitura, mais ou menos previsivel, a não despertar nenhum entusiasmo por ai alem.
nota-se que foi escrito a meio dos anos oitenta, em que socialmente certas "cenas" nao seriam obviamente bem vistas! (nada de cenas hot) :P

para quem aprecia um romance "aguinha com acuçar" é sem duvida uma leitura a considerar.
Elena
This was an OK book, but with annoying characters. It would have been a decent read if the characters weren't sooooo awful! I should just give this author up!
The mother (heroine) was pretty pathetic, the hero was an a-hole, the son was a little whiney sh*t, and the daughter was the only bearable one!

The mother kept thinking things like: "Her son fulfilled her life! He loved playing sports and she loved watching him!" Huh?! That's a fulfilled life to you?

The little brat of a son kept telling h
Melissa Cowder
May 08, 2015 Melissa Cowder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The idea for this book seemed cute enough but turned super corny and unbearable quick. Dori and Gavin act like immature teenagers, not grown ups. The "agreement" that they come to made no sense, especially since he was head strong about her not falling in love (get over yourself buddy), but then kissing her repeatedly. *Spoiler alert* The way it ends is ridiculous. Him saying he doesn't want to see her again, starts seeing someone else, then comes back (after ignoring her for a month) and asks h ...more
Debbie
Aug 24, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While driving her son Danny to school, Dori Robertson never expected him to ask for a new daddy, but he did. Stunned, she forgot were she was and what she was doing. Getting a handle on things, she turned around without looking for traffic. Spilling his drink, Gavin Parker followed the driver that had cut him off. The women and her son seemed to be having problems of her own but that didn’t mean he would let the matter slide. Many different decisions made by Dori and Gavin kept putting them toge ...more
Teresa Drelick
I don't normally read a straight up contemporary romance but I bought this at Goodwill and I needed a book for my listening pleasure during my daily drive to/from work. I really liked it. I actually thought of extra errands to run to stay in my car for a bit more of the story. I loved the kids contribution but I'll admit that i wanted more at the end...at least an epilogue.
Glenda L
Jan 12, 2011 Glenda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Single mom Dori Robertson is suddenly under pressure to find a new father for her eleven-year-old son. And he's already chosen the guy -- former pro-football player Gavin Parker. As it turns out, Gavin's daughter wants her dad to marry again, too. Whe the kids join forces, Gavin suggests he and Dori start dating, just to satisfy the kids. After that --- romance is in the air even though Gavin fights it to the bitter end.
Shelly
Jan 17, 2016 Shelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. I don't like when the female characters are weak and that how Dori was with her relationship with Gavin. She continued to let him call the shots acting hot and cold and treating her badly. I love Debbie Macomber books, but not this one. It wasn't a good lesson for their kids to see a man treat a woman that way.
Amanda
Jun 05, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could do half stars because this one would probably only rate a 2.5. It was predictable like a lot of her books, which I can kind of deal with, but this one just didn't have intersting enough characters or plot.
Nancy Brady
Dori's son Danny wants a new dad. It has been five years since his father died and made Dori a widow. When he brings it up in the car, she almost gets in an accident. The driver of the other car, Gavin, follows her to her stop and really makes a scene.

Despite this, Gavin Parker is the dad he wants. Michelle, his daughter, wants the same thing...for her dad to re-marry and have a normal family life.

Gavin wants no part of marriage and warns Dori off falling in love with him. Yet both kids become
Shay
Aug 27, 2011 Shay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bound-books
This was the first romance novel I ever read, and I've managed to keep it through eleven moves and enough years for a baby born the day I got the book to be legal to drink now .... So, yeah, I like it.
A'ndrea (Auni)
2 Stars = It's Ok
Well it was pure cheese and as it states on the front of the book cover, one of DM's early books. It shows, it would never happen this way.
Jill Smith
Mar 18, 2013 Jill Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful! An interesting premise - but so slow, unrealistic & poorly written! I will never read another book by Ms Macomber again!
Aromas de Cor
Sep 27, 2014 Aromas de Cor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este romance é antigo, muito, a primeira versão é de 1986, e foi o primeiro de muitos que levou a autora ao sucesso que alcançou actualmente. Uma história doce, fofinha, sem perversidades, traições, dramas que estão associadas a muitas histórias de hoje em dia.

É uma leitura agradável para um fim de tarde. Uma mãe em apuros que se vê a braços com o seu filho pré-adolescente que lhe quer encontrar um namorado. Entre muitas peripécias, ele chega mesmo a colocar um anúncio de jornal para lhe encontr
Debbie Heaton
Jul 27, 2014 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Macomber’s romance novel, Dori Robertson and Gavin Parker are both single parents. Dori has a son and Gavin a daughter who are both eleven. When the children decide they want their parents to marry again, they hatch out a plan to pair Dori and Gavin together. In an attempt to appease the situation, the couple begins dating only to find stars in each other’s eyes.

A great story about children and their desire to be a family.
Jennifer Goins
Jan 25, 2016 Jennifer Goins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow just got done reading the book called The Matchmakers by the author Debbie Macomber. I got this book from my stepmom for Christmas and what a book. if you love romance than you are going to love this book. I have to give this a 5 star rating. the author Debbie Macomber is one of my favorite. I would recommend this book to everyone who loves romance.
Amy Johnson
Sep 03, 2015 Amy Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book that is a very quick, very easy read. I'm glad it only takes a few days to read, because I found myself not wanting to put it down for long. The character development was great, and just like most Debbie Macomber books, leaves you feeling good at the end.
Dixie-lee Campbell
This was a fun book to read. Enjoyed the plotting and antics of the two children trying to set up their parents . The storyline also tugged at my heart too ... Danny wanted a Dad and Melissa missed having a mother in her life. This was entertaining and humorous too.
Mª João Monteiro
História curta, simples e básica de uma viúva e seu filho que quer um novo pai. Cruzam-se com um divorciado com uma filha e já se vê o que vai acontecer... Tédio...
Anitha Anilkumar
Linda Yezak
Debbie Macomber can pump passion into a kiss like nobody else. The fireworks between single mom, Dori Robertson, and single dad/former pro- football player, Gavin Parker, threatened to set my car afire as I listened to the CD.

The only thing that bugged me in this novel was not having enough of Gavin's past revealed to explain why he was such an arrogant jerk at times. He issues the order, "Don't fall in love with me," does everything he can to make it happen, then gets mad at Dori when she does
crayolaab
May 16, 2009 crayolaab rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2009
I gave this book 3 stars instead of two primarily because it's a reprint - it was originally written in 1986 and was Debbie Macomber's first book. While the storyline is now probably fairly commonplace, it seems like it may have been somewhat more unique back when it was written. I found the characters a little bit more interesting than usual, although the usual stereotypes about men and women frequently appear. One aspect of Debbie Macomber's books that I do usually enjoy is the setting; she's ...more
Holli
Jul 04, 2016 Holli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nice enough, but try as I might, sappy romances just aren't my thing...
Andrea  Giugliano
OK book is also a good review to give.
Englishrose
Mar 25, 2011 Englishrose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this author recommended to me and thought I should go back and try one of her early books. I must say that I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this book. I don't read too many contemporary romances, but this one was really fun. The characters were humorous, especially the kids. The situations were well played out. I'll admit that I wished it was longer (it's only about 150 pages) but I probably would have finished it in one sitting no matter its length.

Sarah Eisele
Cute, easy read.
Micah
Mar 25, 2014 Micah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqn-romance
The romance tropes (matchmaking children, single mothers, jaded hero) are all heavily present, and the "Harlequin kisses" were strangely over-described, but the plot was solid and the pacing was perfect. A cute vintage Macomber novel - fun, fluffy, and satisfying
April Suter
Nov 06, 2011 April Suter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little story of how a single mom of a son almost runs her car into a hot single dad with a daughter. Son decides it is time for mom to find him a dad and talks to his new friend and she makes the same request. So the parents decide to create a sham to keep the kids at bay, but when you rate the kisses and each one gets a higher number, people involved may have to change their plans.

186 pages
Lea
Good story about two people who have an unlikely meeting and their children who feel they are destined to be a family. Danny's character annoyed me a little, but that may be because I don't have children. The ending wasn't as emotional on Gavin's part as I would have liked (which may have had to do with the way it was read on the book on tape). Overall another good story by Debbie!
  • The Skeleton in the Smithsonian (Capital Mysteries #3)
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • What You Wish For
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Thomas and Percy and the Dragon (Thomas & Friends: Step into Reading)
  • Frog, Where Are You?
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Dear Laura: Letters from Children to Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bloodline (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #2)
  • Disney's Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming
  • Dangerous Curves (NASCAR, #1)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Freestyle with Avery
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Knit Two Together (Chicks with Sticks, #2)
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
  • Moon River and Me: A Memoir
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 950 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

“But although she was with family and friends, she'd never felt more alone. She felt as if she'd lost a vital part of herself and she had - her heart.” 10 likes