Start by marking “Tired of Being Tired” as Want to Read:
Tired of Being Tired

Tired of Being Tired

Do you diet but still find it impossible to lose weight?

Do your crave candy, sodas, popcorn, bagels, pasta, chips, cookies?

Do you have trouble sleeping through the night?

Do you awaken exhausted in the morning even if you’ve slept?

Does it take a cup of coffee or more to get you going in the morning?

In today’s high-stress world, many would answer yes to at least one of these
Published November 2002 by Berkley Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tired of Being Tired, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tired of Being Tired

Teresa
Nov 11, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
This book is challenging, particularly to someone who qualifies by all her metrics as a Driven Perfectionist. However, it's what I needed to read right now.

Some of the reviewers have said that this book is basic common sense, but I beg to differ. These "small changes" are not small at all, they're enormous and difficult shifts in thinking for me. I'm adrenaline addicted (I could have told you this before the book) and LOVE pressure. I set up projects specifically anticipating the time crunch, la
Kathleen
Apr 22, 2007 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book changed my entire outlook on diet, health and fitness. She advocates eating only "real, whole food" as oppossed to processed junk, which granted isn't revolutionary, but she got me thinking about this topic in ways I never had before. I read all the time about eating whole foods and how whole foods are so good for you, but not until I read this book did I understand exactly what whole foods are and why they are good for you. I've been trying to make all my own food ever since!
Jaclyn
I picked this book up at my library for $1 because the title pretty much screamed at me. I'm "Tired of Being Tired" has been my mantra almost every day for the past year and while I knew something had to change, I couldn't figure out exactly what, or find the motivation to start. This book gave me both of the things I needed: direction and motivation. I don't think I will implement everything that this book recommends, mostly because it would be too difficult, and too expensive. However, the ...more
Sara
Mar 29, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
I like this book. A lot. This beautifully blends historic wisdom with biochemical science. It is grounded in fact and good science and encourages the reader to make a series of small changes that can be revisited and deepened as personal progress is made.

This book is not for everyone. If you normally lead a balanced life, this book will make no sense to you. If, however, you are driven, type A, addicted to stress and stimulation and have perfectionistic tendencies, this book will shed light on
Catherine Gillespie
Mar 24, 2015 Catherine Gillespie rated it it was ok
Shelves: nutrition, fitness
I wanted to look into adrenal fatigue after reading about it on Crystal’s blog, so I picked up Tired of Being Tired since the library had it. I have some of the symptoms listed, and felt like lots of the advice was good (cut sugar, reduce caffeine, sleep more, don’t over-exercise) but some of it was flat out weird. When the rationale for using some sort of magnet therapy is that Cleopatra wore a magnet on her forehead to reduce signs of aging, you’ve lost me. I mean, even if Cleopatra did wear a ...more
Megan Franks
Oct 24, 2012 Megan Franks rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, health
A decent read that just reinforces what I've always believed: those who thrive in lifestyles that are filled with constant stress will eventually face the consequences....adrenal burn-out according to this author. The basic premise is that our adrenal glands are working overtime though adrenaline was only supposed to rise during life-or-death situations.

Believable.

The author recommends eating whole foods, getting plenty of sleep (more than 6 hours), exercising in moderation (but not OVER-exerci
Jen
Jan 01, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
I like it. lol. just like i checked in the box. what i liked a lot? her descriptions of taking care of oneself, getting good sleep, not driving so hard were appreciated. her food with lots of animal products, fats like butter, cheese, eggs, goes against many books i have read. i had to laugh when i got to her further reading suggestions and found a book i had heard about so many times that suggests the same diet. she does say you can be vegetarian, so great, but the weekly menu has meat/eggs in ...more
Debbie
May 26, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
"Tired of Being Tired" was an interesting read. Although I think the author encourages self-diagnosis and paints every ill with the same cause, there were some real gems in this book that I haven't seen in medical help books before. Fairly well written with valuable advice for all who have lived a high-stress life, I would possibly recommend this book as long as the reader were savvy enough to recognize that not all health problems are due to adrenal fatigue. This book definitely should not ...more
Monica
Jan 08, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
Read it with a grain of salt. First of all, it's aimed primarily at high-powered over-achievers who never sleep or eat; though there's plenty of great info for those of us who eat, sleep, and still feel chronically fatigued. Also, some of the recommendations are a little off the rails, such as taking medical leave from work if you're suffering from adrenal burnout, or taking a flight of expensive supplements throughout the day. All that said, I learned a some good info and tips that I have ...more
Melody
Aug 02, 2014 Melody rated it it was ok
I tried to give this book a chance and finish it. I really tried. But this book is quite difficult to read. It is essentially an endless list of assertions without proper citation. It is very difficult to tell whether there is any scientific validity to anything the author says. If what she says is true, then she has shot herself in the foot and done an enormous disservice to readers. I don't have the time or inclination to line up the paltry list of sources with each of her assertions.
Jen
Feb 02, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
I'm not completely sure that I believe "adrenal burnout" is a real thing, but I found this book very interesting all the same. I think it has some sound advice for anyone living a high stress life (which is pretty much everyone, right? LOL).
Susan
Jul 15, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Not bad. It's a well-rounded and informative book if you haven't already dug into this topic. If you have, then a lot of the information would be repetitive. If you haven't, use this as a starting point.
Linda
Aug 11, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
An interesting look at diet, exercise, sleep, and adrenaline, and what small, gradual changes can lead to better balance and long-term health. I don't agree with everything, but there are lots of suggestions.
Shannen
Apr 04, 2011 Shannen rated it really liked it
This was a great book to understand why no matter how much caffeine I had, I couldn't get myself to feel awake! After cleansing myself of all the processed food and having realistic expectations, I am no longer struggling to stay awake each day!
Sue Ellis
Jun 07, 2013 Sue Ellis rated it liked it
A good book, in that it hits home on certain issues, but tends to be very repetitive, which is annoying. It does contain some good useful information and is worth wading through the repetitions.
Marnie
Apr 28, 2009 Marnie rated it really liked it
An excellent understanding of adrenal function and dysfunction. I really liked how she breaks it into stages that allow for different strategies of clinical intervention.
Dimitrios
Dimitrios rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Alisa
Alisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Susan Hanchey
Susan Hanchey rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Roxane
Roxane rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Bolortuya
Bolortuya rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Debra Sanderson
Debra Sanderson rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2015
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
May 16, 2008
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Amy Johnson
Amy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Ahmet Sagk
Ahmet Sagk rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Carl Kernek
Carl Kernek rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Pcdaum
Pcdaum rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • Mars and Venus in Love: Inspiring and Heartfelt Stories of Relationships That Work
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else
  • The Walrus Was Paul: The Great Beatle Death Clues
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty
  • What's Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life
  • Living with Your Body and Other Things You Hate
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance--And the Cutting-Edge Science That Promises Hope
  • Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • The Adventure of Business
  • Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
  • Thank God It's Monday!: How to Create a Workplace You and Your Customers Love
  • Ideaspotting: How to Find Your Next Great Idea
  • Alignment: Using the Balanced Scorecard to Create Corporate Synergies
  • Flip: How to Turn Everything You Know on Its Head--and Succeed Beyond Your Wildest Imaginings
  • Ping: Perjalanan Seekor Katak Mencari Kolam Baru