Start by marking “The Saga of the Renunciates (Darkover Omnibus, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Saga of the Renunciates (Darkover Omnibus, #3)

The Saga of the Renunciates (Darkover Omnibus #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  724 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Long out of print, these three novels that comprise The Saga of the Renunciates are now available in one volume. Bradley weaves the masterful tale of two valiant Amazon women who try to break the invisible chains of custom, convention, habit, and expectation with which society binds women, and women bind themselves. (August)
Mass Market Paperback, omnibus, 1116 pages
Published August 1st 2002 by DAW (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Saga of the Renunciates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saga of the Renunciates

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best Science Fiction With a Female Protagonist
82nd out of 669 books — 1,794 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareyMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyAsh by Malinda LoThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
LGBT sci-fi and fantasy
69th out of 614 books — 605 voters

More lists with this book...

Caitlin
Another re-read for me. I've always liked these 3 books in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. The Renunciates are women living in the feudal, patriarchal Darkovan society who renounce the traditional dependency on men & work to live in new ways doing all kinds of different things. These have been out of print for quite a while, so it was nice to see them in the world again. I read them when they first came out - late '70's/early '80's after my father turned me on to the whole series wi ...more
Jesmyn
If someone threatens to kill you, and the only way that this assassin would agree to spare your life is if you agree to read this book, die. I usually read sci-fi/fantasy to immerse myself in another world and to enjoy a brainless read, but this book was a waste of 1300 pages. There's no sort-of-ashamed about this one; I'm really ashamed. But I figure sharing my shame is okay as long as it spares you embarking on such a futile read. Sorry, MZB. I set out to read about amazons, and you gave me th ...more
Jackie
A part of the Darkover series.
I thought I would like this more than I actually did. Bradley has her usual strong female lead characters but it didn't touch me, I didn't feel it the way I have with some of her other creations.
It was OK, but that's paltrey for Bradley. Usually I have high praise for her work.
Chuck
75 out of 100 for 2010

The second book in this omnibus book is a reread for class, but, since I just read a 500 page book for class, I'm going to count it against my goal of 100 for '10. If you are interested in my reactions to Thendara House, which is, I think, Bradley's best novel, see my review of it.
Isaura
I always love the books in the Darkover series. This one delves deeper into the ladies who rebel against Darkovers male-dominated society. Very good read.
Melinda
The first time I read these books I absolutely adored them. Maybe I could relate better 10 odd years ago. Reading it the second time around was a little painful because I wanted to kick Jaelle and Magda's asses and really hurt Peter something fierce.

Jaelle and Magda seem to like each other but not as much as they like men, which was disappointing. They also didn't seem to know their own minds when it came to men and how they should be treated. The reality of being with men as companions instead
Miriam
I think I actually had an earlier edition which had The Shattered Chain and Thendara House together, and read City of Sorcery as a separate book. I think I read it later, even though I remember it least. The other two I remember pretty clearly.

In Bradley's world of Darkover (an alien planet with a long-lost human colony) women have few legal rights and are the property of fathers and husbands. "Renunciates" are women who reject the social system and band together in groups for mutual protection.
Esther
Thendara House is really the best book of the lot. It might be the best Darkover novel, period. I notice, though, reading it now, how incredibly dated much of the Terran technology and attitudes seem. Really? Thousands of years from now, we're going to be using ordinary photographic ID badges, escalators, and still be going into a tizzy over homosexuality?
Cathy Holford
This Omnibus contains 3 of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels - The Shattered Chain, Thendara House, City of Sorcery. These novels focus on the Renunciates - referred to by others on Darkover as "Amazons". In a male dominated society, these women shun the usual roles for women and form a Guild for themselves. These novels involve a young Renunciate freed from the Dry Towns (a society of bandits that literally kept their women in chains.) and Terran (ie "Earthling) woman who becomes involved ...more
Wanda
Loved this book! I wish I had read it when it first came out, when I was a younger woman finding my place in a patriarchal society. I realize how far women have come since the 60s and how far we still have to go to be truly equal and this book explores all those issues. It also explores what was one of the themes of feminism in the 70s, that in order to truly be who we are, women will need to give up the company of men entirely. That path was not for me, but it was interesting to see it explored ...more
It was lovely to see Darkover from outside the Comyn. The additional world building as the Terran Empire meets Darkover was fascinating. But the true strength of this omnibus comes from the diverse and powerful women who make up its pages. The exploration of femininity and womanhood, the discussion of a woman's place in society, and the growth and variety of relationships were refreshing to read in a genre populated by mindless sexbots and romantic interests for the male lead. Another great inst ...more
Fiona Ellwood
This is part of my Darkover re-read, so I will review the series when I finish.
Celina
An epic adventure with compelling main characters and a richly developed world. Some of the characters were frustratingly dense and/or whiny at times, but overall I thought that there was interesting character development, and many of the players had a good mix of heroic and incriminating actions. I enjoyed the concept of the guild house, and the discussions on women vs. society. I haven't read any other Darkover novels though, so I did feel like I was missing some of the greater context.
Daniel
This is probably the WORST of all of Bradley's books... it's terribly slow and full of women who are terribly unhappy about being women and wanting to be men... it's very disgusting...
I would NOT recommend this book to anyone...
However, I'm religious... so, I despised all of the inferences to homosexuality, that is faggotry...
April
Camilla is my favorite character. Jael or Jaelle seems to be a popular name in feminist literature. The Female Man, Stir Fry, & This that I know of. Inspiring! Not a utopia, frusterating at times, like real life. A vision of how it could be. Lots of debate about differing viewpoints without being preachy.
Shell Bailey
Of the Darkover series. I tend to read all those books really far apart, so I can’t compare them, but I really must say that I like her world-building. I don’t tend to like her beginnings, but there’s something comfortably familiar about them once you get settled in.
Amy
This is the book that got me started on the darkover series, which I really enjoy. This book is my favorite of the series because it focuses on the renunciates, a band of women who have their own code of life and society - I dug it.
Kristen
Overall an enjoyable series that fell a little flat at the end but I liked the characters so much I had to finish it. Sometimes themes/arguments aren't all that subtle but I chalk this up to the time period it was written.
Susan
The saga of the Free Amazon Jaelle and her "sister" Magda Lorne of Terra, omnibus of The Shattered Chain, Thendard House, and City of Sorcery
M. J.
For about four days, I could not put this down, I was so absorbed in these characters and the feudal society. A very good read!
Trish Crossett

I am a huge fan of all of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover. But these are my favorites.
Elijah Spector
Mar 16, 2010 Elijah Spector marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Nothing says "bargain" like three books collected in one for half-price!
Virginia Murdoch
Virginia Murdoch marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Chadrick Hess
Chadrick Hess marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Redraven
Redraven marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Christopher A Flores
Christopher A Flores marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Freedom's Gate (The Dead Rivers Trilogy, #1)
  • Poems from the Women's Movement
  • Dreamships
  • Minding the Body
  • Blood, Bread, and Poetry: Selected Prose, 1979-1985
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • Earth Logic (Elemental Logic, #2)
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)
  • Our Dead Behind Us: Poems
  • The Two of Them
  • Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)
  • No More Masks: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Women Poets
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)
  • Storyteller: Songs of Pern & Darkover
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Darkover Omnibus (7 books)
  • Heritage and Exile (Darkover Omnibus, #1)
  • The Ages of Chaos (Darkover Omnibus, #2)
  • The Forbidden Circle (Darkover Omnibus, #4)
  • A World Divided (Darkover Omnibus, #5)
  • Darkover: First Contact (Darkover Omnibus, #6)
  • To Save a World (Darkover Omnibus, #7)
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) The Firebrand