Start by marking “Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)

Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,618 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Terror waits just out of sight

Hiding In The Shadows

Accident victim Faith Parker has done what her doctors feared she never would: awakened from the coma that held her prisoner for weeks. But she has no memory of the crash that nearly killed her—or the life that led up to it. Nor does she remember journalist Dinah Leighton, the steadfast friend who visited her in the hospit
Published (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hiding in the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiding in the Shadows

Vicki
May 01, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hiding in the Shadows by Kay Hooper is a great story. There are many elements to the story that keep it exciting and suspenseful.

When you first meet Dinah Leighton she is working as an investigative journalist. She is hot on a story and then she just disappears. Her boyfriend Cain McGregor is doing all he can to get clues about her disappearance, including a million dollar reward for information.

While this is going on Faith Parker, who was in an automobile accident which resulted in a coma has
Asteropê
Not as good as the first.

I thought it was lacking in a few ways:
- Vague bad guys with pretty average motives (unlike the first book that featured a serial killer)
- Lack of romance

Also, the twist near the end. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
(view spoiler). It's not a new concept. They're called "walk-ins" and supposedly, people claim these things have occurred either to t
Jill S
Jun 06, 2011 Jill S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The plot of the book has been explained by other reviewers so I won't get into it here. Basically, Faith Parker wakes up in a hospital bed with amnesia and a connection to her best friend and spends the story trying to find her friend and afterward find the friend's killer.

I'm an inveterate re-reader, but this book goes into my delete pile rather than the re-read pile because I really didn't like how it ended. Now you can see the plot-twist ending coming from a mile away, but I seriously had fa
Tara
Jan 17, 2015 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was no where near as good as the 1st in the series. I didn't feel a connection with the main characters at all, plus there was hardly any background info on the bad guys either. Am I the only one who thought the ending was totally weird? I'm probably being generous with 3 stars.
Cecilyn P.
Feb 28, 2015 Cecilyn P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really good one! I read it the first time a couple of years ago....is worth reading again and again!
Sheila Melo
Aug 28, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it liked it
Mediocre Entry in the Bishop Series

HIDING IN THE SHADOWS is the story of a man and the two women that he ends up loving...but there is an eerie connection between the women. This book is a paranormal romantic suspense, but the emphasis is more on the suspense than the romance.

THE STORY: Faith Parker awakes from a coma without any memory of who she is. What she finds out is that her only friend, Dinah Leighton, has disappeared. Faith fears that Dinah is in danger because of her actions as Faith b
Nancy Brady
A psychic thriller about a woman who disappears and another who loses her memory. Chasing down a story gets Dinah Leighton into trouble, and only her friend Faith Parker and her lover Kane can figure it out. But will time run out before Faith and Kane can save her and solve the mystery? A real twist ending, too.
Clayton Yuen
Jul 27, 2016 Clayton Yuen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kay Hooper has an unusual style that I sort of like. The writing is very first-personish, written as a narrative from the view of Faith, so the writing was enjoyable and entertaining. She diverged into points of view of others, especially Dinah (the secondary main girl) and does that well enough.

I give this novel 4 stars because of the storyline and theme, the writing and the characters (very interesting). BUT I felt the adventure dragged on and on towards the end, trying to solve a murder myste
SJuhl4
Mar 22, 2011 SJuhl4 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hooper-kay
While the writing was good, I didn't care for the storyline. Taking over someones elses body just didn't seem right.
Bev Lee
the only thing I didn't really care for was the ending. the main content was really good though.
Donna
Jan 14, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one wasn't as good as the first one, and I think it's because I didn't really like any of the characters. Faith was annoying, and the way she was always questioning everything... you think you're psychic, yet you question everything psychic to the point of not helping at all. Kane was one-dimensional, and I wanted him to be more. Bishop is an ass, and I feel like he should be smarter. They were weak compared to the first in the series, but the story was okay. I'll read more in the series, b ...more
Chris
Oct 31, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kay-hooper
♥Jamie
Nov 04, 2014 ♥Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiding in the Shadows is book two in the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. Kay Hooper has a way of pulling you deep into the story while putting you on the edge of your seat in suspense.

Summary:
Kane MacGregor can feel distance between him and Dinah Leighton. They've only been seeing each other for about six months, but Kane can feel Dinah holding back, and he wants more. Trying to appease Dinah and keep a bit of distance when she's in this mysterious, preoccupied mood feels wrong, but what can
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"Hiding In The Shadows

Accident victim Faith Parker has done what her doctors feared she never would: awakened from the coma that held her prisoner for weeks. But she has no memory of the crash that nearly killed her-or the life that led up to it. Nor does she remember journalist Dinah Leighton, the steadfast friend who visited her in the hospital...until she disappeared without a trace. Now as Faith begins to regain her strength, she's shocked by intimate dreams of a man she doesn't reco
Lauren
Hiding in the Shadows
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
After awakening from a coma with no memory of the accident or her life preceding it, Faith Parker starts piecing her life back together and discovers that her only friend has disappeared without a trace. Soon, Faith is shocked by intimate dreams of an unknown man and tortured by visions of violence. Can she learn the truth about herself and her friend before her dreams come true?

Review:
This review is going to be shorter than some of my others as I don’t wan
Robin
Apr 20, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like: Mysteries, Romantic Suspense, Psychics, FBI
Warning Note: I never read the last page of a mystery.

What would be the point? This being mentioned, my review might not be to your tastes. I BELIEVE you can guess the basic concept of the book from what is found above or on the back of the book. Maybe you’ll even look at the other reviews on here & it will tell you what happens in the book. Personally, I think if you know what is going to happen in a book why bother reading it? It’s much like movie trailers sometimes. When I actually go to
Jaime
I discovered this book after reading and being intrigued by another title in the series, so I had certain expectations of this one. I was surprised that it didn't match the first in tone or pacing; except for the recurring character of Noah Bishop, the two stories aren't at all related in style.

The narrative was enjoyable if not entirely riveting, but the suspense did gather momentum toward the end. That was good. Then the author pulled the ultimate spooky rabbit out of her hat, and that was gr
Ana T.
Hiding in the Shadows is the second book in the Bishop series. I was surprised to realize that it is completely different from the first book in the series. Bishop is the only common link but had a very secondary role her and the truth is that the type of story is completely different from the first one.

There is the mystery of what really happened to Faith in that car accident and the mystery of what happened to Dinah. Unlike the first book in this series, their paranormal powers are not relate
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Synopsis: Accident victim Faith Parker has done what her doctors feared she never would: awakened from the coma that held her prisoner for weeks. But she has no memory of the crash that nearly killed her-or the life that led up to it. Nor does she remember journalist Dinah Leighton, the steadfast friend who visited her in the hospital...until she disappeared without a trace.

Now as Faith begins to regain her strength, she's shocked by intimate dreams of a man she doesn't recognize and tortured by
Danielle Coleman
Jun 15, 2016 Danielle Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that Kay Hooper did a wonderful job on this book. At first I was a little skeptical because I don't really read Mysteries that much, only when I have no romance novels to go to, but with the fast pace of the book and riveting details I couldn't put it down! I loved the concept of having two people be so connected that even while one is in a coma that other was able to basically move into her body and live through her even though she herself has passed on.
Samantha Blake
Dec 02, 2015 Samantha Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in some ways the book was a little drawn out. the writer did, i must say, had me thinking real hard about the persons involved in the main character's so called fiance's murder. there was a time i was confused and wondering what was really happening. i cant say i am happy with the ending, but overall it was a good book.
Christine Howard
Had my attention from the first sentence. Haven't read much paranormal mystery before. A young woman comes out of a coma to find the woman who was helping her has gone missing. She is getting images of her friend. Boyfriend of missing girl protects her and works with her to find out what has happened. The ending is a twist.
Mamatufy
Meh, not bad but kinda scattered. Faith is recovering from a bad car accident & wakes from a coma just as her friend, Dinah, goes missing. Kane, Dinah's boyfriend, is frantic to find her. Unfortunately, Faith has amnesia. The story progresses in spits & spurts with a few hits of Noah along the way. Odd ending.
Brent Soderstrum
Oct 04, 2012 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable paranormal mystery by Kay Hooper. She tends to give too big a role to peripheral characters but there is always a little twist in her books which make them enjoyable.

In this one Faith is in a car accident in which she is in a coma. One visitor shows up on a regular basis-Dinnah. Then Dinnah just disappears. A few weeks later Faith comes out of her coma and she has no memory at all. She does have dreams about this Dinnah who was visiting her but she can't figure out who she is or wha
Gigi
Jun 03, 2013 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I really enjoyed the first Bishop crime unit book and loved the cliff hanger chapter endings. And I admit, I was a bit leery about reading the 2nd book because this type of series could really lend itself towards a formalistic writing style. But I was completely wrong as far as this book is concerned. Completely different type of opening. An introduction to Bishop's character by someone who knows him, so no gentle "how do you do's." While the male lead's protective instincts and the willing ...more
Karen Jones
Dec 17, 2009 Karen Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kay-hooper
I've really gotten hooked on Kay Hooper's books. I plowed through this one. Didn't even have time to add it to my "Reading" section before I needed to list in under "Read."

The paranormal is the "norm" for Hooper, but she does it with flair and makes it interesting. I keep expecting her to show her entire hand, but she seems to keep a few cards back waiting on the next book.

You never know what you're going to get when you pick up another one of her books, even if it's in a series. More of a love
Clay Carley
Aug 29, 2015 Clay Carley rated it it was amazing
Still enjoy this series

This book, although similar to the first, habits own twists. Good characterization and action. What is the same is that Bishop has the same kind of involvement but in a more personal way.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
This is the second in the Shadows Trilogy and I must say I enjoyed the first one better (rated 4 stars on this blog in July 2008).

This novel doesn't feature the main character from the first book, and in fact could be read as a stand alone. In this book Faith Parker has a car accident and has finally awoken from her coma without any memory of the crash, or her life before the accident.

Meanwhile, journalist Dinah Leighton has gone missing. Dinah regularly visited Faith in the hospital and made su
Kris
The Bishop series is one of my favorites. A ragtag group of psychics drafted into their own little special FBI unit, what more could you ask for. Kay Hooper rocks.
Sara
Jun 29, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. Just a fabulous book from start to finish with a knock out ending. A page turner and once I started it I couldn't put it down.
  • Fatal Tide
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
  • Deadly Gift (Flynn Brothers, #3)
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • The Chosen
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • True Vision (True Trilogy #1)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)