Start by marking “The High-Rise Private Eyes #3: The Case of the Puzzling Possum” as Want to Read:
The High-Rise Private Eyes #3: The Case of the Puzzling Possum

The High-Rise Private Eyes #3: The Case of the Puzzling Possum (The High-Rise Private Eyes #3)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Beat Goes OnOne day, the trombone is missing from Mr. Riley's music store. The next day, it's back. Then it's gone again. Who could be taking it -- and why?

This sounds like a case for the High-Rise Private Eyes -- Bunny Brown and Jack Jones, ace detectives and very best friends!
Published January 8th 2002 by Greenwillow Books (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The High-Rise Private Eyes #3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High-Rise Private Eyes #3

Logan Williams
Personal Reaction:
Being a series book, these books are not very good works of literature, but I could visualize younger children loving this book mainly because of the humor within the book. The sentences are very short and there is about a paragraph on each page so a younger child will be able to read it on their own or with a minor help from a parent or teacher. The story was funny and would most definitely entertain a younger student.

Purpose/Use in Classroom:
This book would be a great book to
Ashley
In this book Bunny Brown and Jack Jones, the detectives, work together to solve the mystery of the sometimes-missing trombone. Bunny and Jack need to find out why the trombone from Mr. Riley’s music store. Through their work together Bunny and Jack solve the mystery.

I liked this book, because it is a beginning chapter book that the students can read by themselves or it can be read as a class together. Students can also help each other to solve the mystery.
Questions- What do you think happened?
Wh
Ruth Lyons
The book is about a stolen trombone and how it kept disappearing and rappearing. It was taken by a possum who was trying to support his family. The high-rise private eyes figured out who took it, where to find him and caught him in the act of returning it to the store.
The illustations serve as a addtion to the text and wrap around the text. The ilustrations are colorful but not so much that they distract from the story. The book would be good for first grade or even high level kindergarteners to
Kaethe
The plots have all run together and out of my mind, but these were very popular with Natasha when she was learning to read. I enjoyed the two detectives.

Library copy.
Rebekka
This was a read-aloud selection for our Summer Reading Program, and despite being 48 pages long, I read it aloud to my boys in under 10 minutes. Many mysteries are too complex for very young readers, with many characters and clues to keep up with. We liked that this mystery kept things simple, with only a handful of characters. As a mother, I liked the ethical ending, where the culprit agrees to make up for his wrong-doing. We'd recommend this book for kids 3-7 years of age.
Dolly
Aug 03, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, mystery
Another fun mystery in the High-Rise Private Eyes series. This one has a country flair, "Yee-ha!" It's an odd story, with hot cocoa messes and hayrides and a music store owner that makes Jack dizzy and sick to his stomach. But our girls love these books and we look forward to reading more. We've also listened to this one read aloud on cassette tape and the character voices are great!
Karen Stanford
Clever detective story with a thief who borrows a trombone from a music store and returns it the next day. He does this several times and the store owner wants to know what is happening to his trombone. A great little who-done-it and a great way to teach children how to figure things out by seeing and following clues.
Tricia
Confronting the culprit is a little more harsh than in some of the other books, and the reasoning is not quite as transparent as it could be (to help kids follow along). But we enjoy the series, and this is no exception.
Victorb
I licked it becuse I licked the buny detective.
The mystery was that the posum disuperd and came Back. They found owt somewon was picking it up and taking it uwa.
Zoe
I read it fast cuz I wanted to know what happened.
Max
Rachel
Rachel added it
May 07, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Alisa Cooper
Alisa Cooper marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Diana Gutierrez
Diana Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

The High-Rise Private Eyes (8 books)
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #1: The Case of the Missing Monkey
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #2: The Case of the Climbing Cat
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #4: The Case of the Troublesome Turtle
  • The Case of the Sleepy Sloth [With CD (Audio)]
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #6: The Case of the Fidgety Fox
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #7: The Case of the Baffled Bear
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #8: The Case of the Desperate Duck
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge - The First Book Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years