Start by marking “The Moment She Was Gone: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Moment She Was Gone: A Novel

The Moment She Was Gone: A Novel

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
It's two o'clock in the morning when Andrew Gulliver gets a phone call from his mother, who tells him his twin sister, Annie, is gone. This is not the first time. Ever since she was sixteen, she's been taking off without notice to places as far distant as Papua New Guinea, then returning unexpectedly, only to disappear yet another time, again and again and again.
But this
Published July 17th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Moment She Was Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moment She Was Gone

Viraphone
Not exceptional, somewhat flawed actually, yet very enjoyable. (Okay, I read it in one sitting, which is a criteria which always makes me feel like the book was relatively good.) I may also be a bit biased because I'm feel like I'm always enjoying thrillers that deal with people with any kind of psychosis. Dunno, I happen to find these fascinating, whether the book is actually good or not.

(view spoiler)
Eadie
Jan 16, 2016 Eadie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evan Hunter (aka Ed McBain) does an excellent job with this book. I've never read Hunter or McBain before so I didn't know what to expect.

The Gulliver Family is having a hard time dealing with Annie who is mentally ill. Annie is constantly taking off without notice to different places around the world. She returns unexpectedly, only to disappear again and again. This novel is about how a family needs to confront family secrets in order to keep Annie from harming herself or someone else.

The book
Jasmine Holloman
Like many others who have finished the book, I really do not know what to think (which oddly could be the author's point). Even though I enjoyed reading about Annie's struggle, the book felt a little incomplete. I wish the author went into more detail about finding the root of the problem of why Annie was the way she was. Either way it was a fast and easy read.
Timothy
A dysfunctional family, a missing sister, and man begins to understand himself. Trite. Yes. Not his best work. The only interesting character was not even in the book !
Jeannie Tremblay
Jun 16, 2014 Jeannie Tremblay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good in terms of a family coming to grips with the fact that their daughter/sister "has issues", but I would have liked them to delve further into why she was the way she was.
Bill
Dec 12, 2015 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was on a list of books that I read before 2005. So, I am adding it to my read books on GoodReads.
Michelle
Dec 06, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I have to admit I listened to this on CD...still feels like "cheating" thought I've become more comfortable doing it LOL

I really liked this book. It was quirky and weird. The family was disfunctional in a "quiet" sort of way. I enjoyed the main character who told the story of his crazy sister, and i enjoyed hearing about her wild exploits even more. The tenderness between the twins was sweet but not too sweet. The mother was a great charicature.
I might see what else Hunter has written becaus
Carol
Oct 15, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. Written by one of the best writers of fiction. I haven't read many books by Hunter but have read every book by the pseudonym he uses to write novels of the 87th Precinct. Close to fifty novels as Ed McBain. In this story Hunter deals with mental illness. Andrew Gulliver gets a phone call from his mother,who tells him his twin sister,Annie is gone...again..
Becky
Oct 19, 2010 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting. I liked how the writer wrote it, even though at times I would have to remember where I was at (jumps around alot between past/present). A story dealing with a mentally ill person and how her twin and other family members come to deal with her issues. I didn't think it was horrible, but yet, not awesome, thus the 2 stars.
Patricia
I'm not sure what I think of this book. A brother eventually comes to accept his well-loved twin sister is schizophrenic. The writing is great as you'd expect from such a prolific writer as Hunter/McBain. It reads somewhat as a Roman a Clef.I think I'd have enjoyed it more if it was actually a memoir/biography.
Hank
Aug 14, 2012 Hank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Ed McBain's pen name. An intriguing novel pertaining to the mentally ill. It's does a good job in looking at different points of view of all the main characters. I found my self really empathizing with what the loved ones and acquaintances of the mentally ill go through.
Kelly
Lots of potential; I thought there would be more secrets, etc. 37 year old Annie goes missing. Flashbacks of her life with mom, twin brother, famous artist dad. She is schizophrenic so the flashbacks are all about episodes, her fits.
Pat
Aug 17, 2012 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A glimpse into a family dealing with the heartbreak of mental illnesss. Andrew's twin sister, Annie, is a schizophrenic; he struggles to understand and to integrate her into the family.
Catherine Bell
I like it so far - I haven't read this author before and I like the voice he uses. Looking forward to finishing this one - a fast read, I think.
Betsy
Jul 02, 2010 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read. The story was ok. It was kind of sad and real look at the way mental illness impacts the dynamics of a family.
Amy Hutto
This book was so sad. For anyone that has ever suffered mental illness, think twice before reading this,
Al Stoess
Jun 05, 2012 Al Stoess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in mental illness
Hunter writes strange book. I wondered if it were a true story.
Sandy
Lori
Lori added it
Jan 27, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Nanette
Nanette marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
B.Ann
B.Ann added it
Jan 20, 2016
Boian Alexandrov
Boian Alexandrov rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Raveling
  • Half Moon Street
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Fat Ollie's Book (87th Precinct #52)
  • Cold Caller
  • Take the Bait (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #1)
  • Murder Can Crash Your Party (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #15)
  • The Case of the Ill-Gotten Goat
  • Restitution
  • Prince Ombra
  • The Cluttered Corpse (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #2)
  • The G-String Murders
  • The Summer of Katya
  • Mercy
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
  • Up from the Blue
  • Skull Session
Better known by his pseudonym Ed McBain.

Born Salvatore Albert Lombino, he legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.
More about Evan Hunter...